Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

spectre

Arcane
I still don't undrestand how they are able to rake so much money while effectively having broken alpha for so long.
magic-yourhighness.gif

Yeah, they're really good at capitalizing on all that FOMO bullshit and generating buzz. Not to mention, they seem to be keeping their content creators on a super tight leash,
even that guy from previous page who *seems* to be doing a balanced review, is pretty much going over all the talking points, like my personal favourite nugget:
it's not the code that's bad, you just need to put it on an SSD. Well, guess what my dude, I had it on a fucking NVMe and when the server runs like ass, it runs like ass.

They even had me there for a second, skimming through the names of the videos that youtube feed sharted on me recently, I was almost convinced
that they've at least launched this 3.18 thing. Aaaaaanope.
Totally gotta be done by thursday.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They make more money from selling the dream of the game than they would if they just finished it. The problem with releasing a game is everyone can judge it and see how it's not as great as they hoped. Like most games. But if the game never releases then the "omg this could be amazing some day" feeling never goes away.

I just wonder how long they can keep stringing that along. At some point it's going to look and feel old, some people will be tired of hearing about it, some people will be confused, "Isn't that an old game from 2008 or something?". Part of peoples attraction to EverQuest back in the day was that none of the world was documented. It was a big virtual world to explore and everything people found was new and interesting. Only a handful of beta testers had seen it before.

This game is like the opposite of that... Everyone has already seen it and done everything and documented everything, all the fun exploits have been done for years and patched long ago. All the drama with hackers and stuff happened long ago. Etc.. All this stuff was part of what made early MMOs so exciting early on. All the people experiencing all of this together at the same time. By the time this game releases, some of the biggest fans will be dead. I mean statistically. It could risk being like a snooty old golf club for old fucks. There are probably whole generations of kids that have no idea this game even exists because it's so old.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
This game would've been right up the Codex's alley, scams and all, if it had been released before Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numenera. Chris Roberts showed up too late to the circus.

spectre

Arcane
I just wonder how long they can keep stringing that along. At some point it's going to look and feel old, some people will be tired of hearing about it, some people will be confused, "Isn't that an old game from 2008 or something?". Part of peoples attraction to EverQuest back in the day was that none of the world was documented. It was a big virtual world to explore and everything people found was new and interesting. Only a handful of beta testers had seen it before.
I think it goes something like this: whenever a competitor is released, people will flock to it to actually have a game they can play. When they ultimately get jaded, they will get back to the comfort of Roberts' pipe dream.
I honestly don't know what's the appeal (okay, I kinda do, I'm in this thread reading and writing about this shit), but perhaps it's the fact that you can stop following the game for years and still be more or less in the loop as you come back. Cause one thing you can guarantee is, the goddamn thing is always going to be sorta there.
More succinctly, I think the ineptitude of their competitors is what keeps them afloat, but that's probably because it seems no finished game can't compete with a one that's continuously unfinished.
A finished thing can't compete with an idea of a perfect thing. Elite Dangerous didn't have what it takes, even though I believe they made the right call by doing this whole "space legs" thing.
Unfortunately, you need actually talented people to pull this off.
No Man's Sky was wrecked by the abysmal start. I hear it's good now and I might check on it some day, but I reckon for a lot of people it's a ship that sailed and went tits up.
There were others, more niche titles, but they cannot honestly compare with the raw output of SCI's marketing machine. That said, next big thing is that Oblivion/Fallout4 with spaceships from Bethesda,
we'll see if Modders Gunna Fix It(tm) is enough to put a dent of SC's revenue stream, though I expect plenty of glorious butthurt and possibley legal action once folks start importing SC ship meshes and
putting them up as mods.

Gargaune

Magister
I still don't undrestand how they are able to rake so much money while effectively having broken alpha for so long.
Because you don't actually need a supernatural premise to constitute a cult, that much should be obvious in this day and age. The same fervor that was once reserved to the realm of mysticism has long since transcended to everything from football clubs and politics to Apple consumerism and Star fucking Citizen. It's not the promise of future salvation that the faithful latch on to, but the present elevation in being part of the prestigious few. Ironically, if everyone in the world had bought into Star Citizen, then Roberts wouldn't have been able to milk it for so long. The ferocity of faith dissipates when it is no longer special, reason becomes reasonable again, and the mob would've poured molten Idrises down his throat long ago.

No Man's Sky was wrecked by the abysmal start. I hear it's good now
You will hear things like that sometimes. They're called "lies."

Last edited:
People still cling to WoW, paying $200+ a year to play it even though that game hasn't been good for 8 years. I can easily imagine people still dropping $200+ a year on Star Citizen 10 years from now even if the game is still just the Stanton system and the gameplay hasn't been fundamentally improved.

Gargaune

Magister
Backlog of ships that have yet to be delivered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen said:
The game was announced via a private crowdfunding page in September 2012, and was later joined on October 18, 2012 by a successful Kickstarter campaign which drew in over US$2 million.[3] Pre-production of the game began in 2010, with production starting in 2011.

[...]

After the initial Kickstarter ended, Cloud Imperium Games continued to raise funds through the sale of ships and other in-game content, and is now noted for being the highest crowdfunded video game and one of the highest-funded crowdfunding projects overall, having raised over US$500 million as of September 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX said:
In early 2002, Musk started to look for staff for his new space company, soon to be named SpaceX.

[...]

The overall contract award was US$278 million to provide development funding for the Dragon spacecraft, Falcon 9, and demonstration launches of Falcon 9 with Dragon.[41] As part of this contract, the Falcon 9 launched for the first time in June 2010 with the Dragon Spacecraft Qualification Unit, using a mockup of the Dragon spacecraft.

:M

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen said:
The game was announced via a private crowdfunding page in September 2012, and was later joined on October 18, 2012 by a successful Kickstarter campaign which drew in over US$2 million.[3] Pre-production of the game began in 2010, with production starting in 2011.

[...]

After the initial Kickstarter ended, Cloud Imperium Games continued to raise funds through the sale of ships and other in-game content, and is now noted for being the highest crowdfunded video game and one of the highest-funded crowdfunding projects overall, having raised over US$500 million as of September 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX said:
In early 2002, Musk started to look for staff for his new space company, soon to be named SpaceX.

[...]

The overall contract award was US$278 million to provide development funding for the Dragon spacecraft, Falcon 9, and demonstration launches of Falcon 9 with Dragon.[41] As part of this contract, the Falcon 9 launched for the first time in June 2010 with the Dragon Spacecraft Qualification Unit, using a mockup of the Dragon spacecraft.

:M
Well yeah. Musk was only designing a space ship, not a whole whack of them and the galaxy to boot and he had nearly 150 times the funding! Just give it time and don't forget to buy the new jpegs ships, guys! The boys need our support to bring this one home!

spectre

Arcane
I don't know dude I tried it and it was boring as fuck. Maybe I didn't give it enough time but nothing made me want to.
Well, I wanted to give it an honest spin at some point, but couldn't get past the interface and inventory.
They did release come content for it, but I suppose these things most likely weren't fixed or even touched, so yeah, I don't see the point, especially since I have no sunken costs on this thing.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I don't know dude I tried it and it was boring as fuck. Maybe I didn't give it enough time but nothing made me want to.
Well, I wanted to give it an honest spin at some point, but couldn't get past the interface and inventory.
They did release come content for it, but I suppose these things most likely weren't fixed or even touched, so yeah, I don't see the point, especially since I have no sunken costs on this thing.
I tried this on game pass a few months back. It was god awful shit, but I also got filtered by the beginning. I was so annoyed by all the nagging resource timers that I couldn't see spending my free time on it. In real life nagging things (job, women, etc.) reward you for dealing with their BS. No Man's Sky simply delays the next time you have to listen to it bitch at you about needing carbon or whatever.

People still cling to WoW, paying $200+ a year to play it even though that game hasn't been good for 8 years. I can easily imagine people still dropping $200+ a year on Star Citizen 10 years from now even if the game is still just the Stanton system and the gameplay hasn't been fundamentally improved.
The thing with WoW is, that despite how shit the lore is now, how predatory the rng, the grinding, how the gatekeeping is designed to milk your sub as much as possible....that's exactly what the playerbase wants. When a WoW whale logs in, they know they will have: dopamine inducing bear-ass quests; reputation grind; rat races with mythic plus; raid drama. Wow doesn't need to sell you an idea of what they could be, thay already were and are coasting on it until the sun explodes or someone discovers a cure for autism gambling.
Blizzard is a dope dealer, you come in, get your high and leave until it kills you. SC? No fucking clue, there was never a good game in there to begin with, people are paying for the dream of maybe having the best game ever.

Myobi

Liturgist
Starodinger Citizen strikes back. It's released, it's not released, its 0, its 1, its black, its white, its basically the same but not even remotely similar to.

fs85o8y2qh3a1.jpg

mediocrepoet

Patron
Who's the fucking market for this? Saudi princes that wipe their ass with thousand dollar bills and expensive hookers that also happen to be into space ship video games?

I also like that it's "in stock" - yeah, holy shit. Get your rights to download a jpeg at some undisclosed point in the future while supplies last, boys!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom