Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Latelistener

Arcane
Does anyone still has a link to a short Youtube video posted here a long time ago?

The guy sort of starts glitching and flights out of a spaceship cabin to open space and then credits with music start rolling.

ADL

Prophet
That guy he's talking to is full of shit. "Half the ships don't exist and they haven't finished half the ships people have bought"? Nonsense. 150+ ships are currently in game and I can only think of a handful that aren't... And of those that aren't, there's a good reason for their absence. You wouldn't want capital ships without server meshing for example. He doesn't know where basic things are on the site and quietly goes all like "oh i dunno where that is, it's been a while since I've been on there" and says LTI is completely a legacy feature. Doesn't seem to know shit about the game other than the talking points you'd see in a thread like this.

He also said he got banned from sites like star-hangar. How much of a cunt do you have to be to get banned from a storefront like eBay? He's false flagging as a $1000 backer and I don't buy it for a second.

Myobi

Liturgist
That guy he's talking to is full of shit. "Half the ships don't exist and they haven't finished half the ships people have bought"? Nonsense. 150+ ships are currently in game and I can only think of a handful that aren't... And of those that aren't, there's a good reason for their absence. You wouldn't want capital ships without server meshing for example. He doesn't know where basic things are on the site and quietly goes all like "oh i dunno where that is, it's been a while since I've been on there" and says LTI is completely a legacy feature. Doesn't seem to know shit about the game other than the talking points you'd see in a thread like this.

He also said he got banned from sites like star-hangar. How much of a cunt do you have to be to get banned from a storefront like eBay? He's false flagging as a $1000 backer and I don't buy it for a second.
post-citizencon-flyable-ship-list-v0-327w4c6y0zyb1.png

Also, the second guy hits multiple times on the: "Oh, but the community voted for it, they are just bitter that they lost."

- https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize..._two_official_cig_community_polls_related_to/

Q: What should we do with the crowdfunding counter after we reach our goal? (Total Votes: 21076 - 8% of Citizens, 12% of alpha backers)​

1. 5% - Take the funds raised counter down after $23 million (mission achieved!)
  2. 7% - Have the funding counter display the amount towards the current stretch goal / feature, not the total amount once we reach $23M.
  3. 88% - Keep it up through development and continue to offer stretch goal rewards in addition to extra features and development milestones.

Q: Should we continue to offer stretch goals? (Total Votes: 34590 - 7% of Citizens, ~14% of alpha backers)​

1. 55% - Yes
  2. 26% - No
  3. 20% - No preference

The community shouldn't be making this types of choices for a company.
The community had no details of what they were actually voting for.
The vast majority of the community didn't vote, most probably weren't even aware of the polls existence.
CIG already knew the outcome from the start and misled the community:

Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks to ensure we deliver the full functionality sooner rather than later.
@ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million

lametta

Educated

Lel, he's going to play it in a month or two. Second guy pretty much convinced him.
asmon saying he's gonna play something doesnt mean anything. Most of the time he says it and never plays the game in question.

Not judging the game but the things the second person said.
"It's like GTA but in space."

Wtf does that even mean. He surely could have elaborated.
Are there heists?
Are the missions autogenerated?
Are the missions very similar to each other?
What makes the gameplay fun?
etc.

ADL

Prophet
The community shouldn't be making this types of choices for a company.
Couldn't disagree more. It's a crowdfunded project and anyone unhappy with the result of the game clearly becoming more than what they backed had the ability to refund long after the scope had changed due to them raising 75x the goal by the time those refunds were cut off. They can feign ignorance but CIG showcased planetary gameplay in August 2016 at the second CitizenCon. Something Star Citizen's crowdfunding pitch didn't include.

I call bullshit on anyone saying they weren't complicit or knowledgable that Star Citizen was no longer the game they had backed. Zero sympathy, unless you were on a nuclear sub or in prison for five years or something like that. Even then, just sell your pledge and move on with your life. There is no scenario where those people lose money on a pledge that includes Star Citizen + Squadron 42 which are now separate purchases.

Myobi

Liturgist
Couldn't disagree more.

You couldn't disagree more because you are a dumbass.

Most backers have no fucking clue about game development, business management, or even what the fuck is going on within the company itself. They shouldn't be making decisions like this for a company, especially when those decisions apparently add a extra decade of development.

Listening to player feedback is one thing, allowing them to run the show for you is another, but then again, the "poll" was just a facade, just an excuse to drop what they originally promised and focus heavily on monetization.

Star Citizen + Squadron 42 which are now separate purchases.
Wrong yet again, Squadron 42 is not a separate purchase, it's not even a purchased for over a year now, since it got pulled off the store for a "price change":

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Standalone-Pledge

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeh uh, I paid money for a product 10+ years ago. Deliver the fucking product. It's not even worth the time in dollars I paid back then to bother 'selling the pledge' nor should the idea of the consumer jumping ship because sellers are dishonest be normalised.

If they release the product and its shit then fine, that's pretty much what I expect, but they should have some honour and do the job people paid for. I remember when we all laughed Duke Nukem out of the room when they took 11? Years in development. Not understanding why Star Citizen doesn't get the same treatment unless it's just sunken cost fallacy cultists getting militant in its defence.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Step 1: Spend nothing.
Step 2: Billions of people make SC accounts.
Step 3: Receive $1,000,000,000!

Here's the stupid thing out of everything, if they had taken the income they had and maintained the original scope and budgeting of the kickstarter they could have operated off the interest alone. Then it wouldn't have mattered what they did because the studio would always stay afloat. Instead Roberts decides to be a dumbass and let his ego get in the way. $600 million in costs later and the game still sucks. Only now you have a very real bankruptcy risk. Those whales can't keep you going forever.

ADL

Prophet
if they had maintained the scope and budgeting of the kickstarter it would've never made a fraction of the amount of money it did and died just like elite dangerous did because star citizen was just elite dangerous with a singleplayer module. Next you'll be suggesting they just sell expansion packs as if we haven't seen how that played out too.
Only now you have a very real bankruptcy risk.
two more weeks
Wrong yet again, Squadron 42 is not a separate purchase, it's not even a purchased for over a year now, since it got pulled off the store for a "price change":
before it got removed from sale, you had to actively spend more for a combo package clearly indicating that it will be sold separately when it comes back.
Listening to player feedback is one thing, allowing them to run the show for you is another, but then again, the "poll" was just a facade, just an excuse to drop what they originally promised and focus heavily on monetization.
and thank god for that because thanks to the whaling i'm getting a billion dollar space sim mmo
I remember when we all laughed Duke Nukem out of the room when they took 11? Years in development. Not understanding why Star Citizen doesn't get the same treatment unless it's just sunken cost fallacy cultists getting militant in its defence.
DNF was a by-the-numbers linear shooter and when it came out it was a by-the-numbers linear shooter whereas the timeline of star citizen is readily apparent to anyone who looks at it versus the original pitch.

The scope creep is the appeal and I don't give a fuck if only 15% of the community voted for it because I was one of them. Should've refunded if you didn't want atmospheric gameplay. Keep it going another fifteen years. God forbid a developer make something cool with unlimited resources instead of delivering something on a conventional timeline. The last five or so years we've seen what happens when devs rush a bullshit product out. No thanks.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
if they had maintained the scope and budgeting of the kickstarter it would've never made a fraction of the amount of money it did and died just like elite dangerous did because star citizen was just elite dangerous with a singleplayer module. Next you'll be suggesting they just sell expansion packs as if we haven't seen how that played out too.
No what I'm saying is that they wouldn't have had to sell jack shit. They had the money they could have invested it over the 10 years, in that 10 years they not only would have paid for all the costs of development but also provide a nice contingency fund. Whilst that was going on they could still monetize however they wanted and pile on to their investment every year.

I disagree with Roberts expansion, I feel he fell for the same trap that every AAA studio falls for and it always ends badly. He over hired and established himself in the most costly operating places to establish. And all the while funded off of a market that doesn't have unlimited money. Whereas interest so long as the rates are good is infinite.

If you're going to develop forever, ensure you have forever money. Then you can't lose.

Myobi

Liturgist
it would've never made a fraction of the amount of money it did and died just like elite dangerous did because star citizen
Time & Funding =/= Quality

If Duke Nukem isn't a good example of that, remember that SC has 13 years of development and 700m dollars, and still is more broken than a Bugthesda game.

This "It would be just as bad as X" is just a wild baseless assumption of yours.

before it got removed from sale, you had to actively spend more for a combo package clearly indicating that it will be sold separately when it comes back.
:retarded:

and thank god for that because thanks to the whaling i'm getting a billion dollar space sim mmo

If you live long enough, maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom