Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Score up to $500 by designing RPG Codex' Corporate Branding (Logo & Business Cards) Competition

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So 16% of the codex's budget is devoted to making paper cards with the site name on it to impress people with?

Interesting business strategy. Don't think its been tried before.

Game industry PR people will do a lot of things for somebody who seems important. A lot of things.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
We should just get Chris Avellone to enter.

He needs the money.
I keep hitting brofist but it only adds one.:(

The razorblade is the best one, though. If you're going to make cards you should make them distinctive. It needs a Codexian troll on it, though.

Perkel

Arcane
it must be printed on shitty yellow quality paper

ibrn0tqe6HHuEE.png

Weasel
I've come to realise that we're all catering to the conservative tastes of the current membership. DarkUnderlord is clearly a man who plans for the long term, we need something which will still be relevant to the Codex of 2018:

gaMCmO1.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So 16% of the codex's budget is devoted to making paper cards with the site name on it to impress people with?

Interesting business strategy. Don't think its been tried before.
It was either that or alcohol and hookers. And after a while hookers get boring tbh.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Calling Jaceface to bang up something proper.

Jaceface, if you design a kickass logo and don't win this gay contest, I'll pay you a consolation prize for the logo anyway.

As of now, there's been nothing but shit-tier fucking about in GIMP and Photoshop by non-artists with mediocre visual design skills. Hats off to felipepepe, though. :lol:

I paid Jaceface a hundred smackers for this, and it was worth every penny. The best part is that the artistry is superior when compared to Obsidian's own artists' work.

male_human_f_jes_lg.png

Realistically, someone could pay a starving teenager on DeviantART a few hundred bucks to create a logo far beyond the capabilities of almost any Codex regular I'm aware of.

I designed some business cards for my cousin a while back. She's a high-end real estate photographer. The design incorporated relatively simple pastel embellishments, a clear font, and a sensible layout. I doubt I can be bothered to potentially waste my time submitting something for this fickle bunch, and I certainly can't create a logo that involves actual artistic talent.

That's a real issue with a call to action like this one: "Hey, spend hours designing a thing that will likely go in the rubbish bin."

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I dunno what DU wants but personally, all these cards suggested so far are a little overdesigned. I think hard, simple shapes would be better; classic black font on white. Logos and art shouldn't dominate the design and neither should some fancy line-art. Tasteful and minimalist, IMO - hard and sharp, like a razor.

Edit: Immortal has a good entry, with some tweaking. That's just my opinion, though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"The standard dimensions for a printed business card are 3.5 x 2 inches. That's the finished card size. Many printed designs include bleed. The "bleed area" is an extra 1/8 inch of space for design elements or backgrounds that extend beyond the finished size of your piece."

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I have a genuine question. Under which nation's law does the RPG Codex fall under? Is it as simple as Dark Underlord is the owner thus it falls under Australian Law?

Sounds like he is running it as an Australian unlisted private company as a (sole?) Director.
Though how he is paying 28% when the corporate tax rate is still 30% is a pretty good trick.
Anyway, "good for what it is" should be the motto under the letterhead for my vote.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Realistically, someone could pay a starving teenager on DeviantART a few hundred bucks to create a logo far beyond the capabilities of almost any Codex regular I'm aware of.
Yeah, see, I was kind of hoping that by offering a decent reward - we'd:

a) Get some good designs that people had put some effort into.

b) Wouldn't get a flood of lulzy crap.

I guess I was wrong.

Sounds like he is running it as an Australian unlisted private company as a (sole?) Director.
Though how he is paying 28% when the corporate tax rate is still 30% is a pretty good trick.
Anyway, "good for what it is" should be the motto under the letterhead for my vote.
https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-...Small-Business---tax-cuts-for-small-business/

Khorne

Arbiter
small.png

Had some spare time so I sketched a few, these previews are wet, but I may upload raw materials at some point later if there is interest.
(For the site, not cash.)

mesh-v1.png

mesh-v2.png

mesh-banner1.png

mesh-banner2.png

epeli

Arcane
Yeah, see, I was kind of hoping that by offering a decent reward - we'd:

a) Get some good designs that people had put some effort into.

b) Wouldn't get a flood of lulzy crap.

I guess I was wrong.

Actually expecting something serious from the 'dex? :roll: Well, Codex already has recognizable "corporate branding" in the website design. Why not apply it to official stuff as well? Saves the effort of designing something new that doesn't look like crap. Business card at 300 DPI, backside should be empty:

business_card.png

Same principle for stylistically matching letterhead: the title with scanlines and troll lifting d20 on top margin and whatever info you want on bottom margin with clear sans serif font. Keep it simple, no gaudy frills.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually expecting something serious from the 'dex? :roll: Well, Codex already has recognizable "corporate branding" in the website design. Why not apply it to official stuff as well? Saves the effort of designing something new that doesn't look like crap. Business card at 300 DPI, backside should be empty:

business_card.png

Same principle for stylistically matching letterhead: the title with scanlines and troll lifting d20 on top margin and whatever info you want on bottom margin with clear sans serif font. Keep it simple, no gaudy frills.

That one's not bad but I think the Troll should be bigger. I like the simplicity just make the Troll bigger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom