Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In Soviet Russia the only way to play FFVII was to fire it up in an 8bit Russian NES knockoff. Thankfully it has been translated for our enjoyment :

FF7NES.jpg

Link plz?

Psquit

Arcane
Gamebryo piece of shit or lazy Obsidian for this door...
DZ6MDqB.png

Fucking deep ones with their 12 packs invaded my shack near the lake... Scare the crap out of me... luckly they got bugged.
0d6JNTO.png

Fucking gamebryo... this engine is a train wreck... The final boss of new vegas is Gamebro itself. It will swallow your body into the soil or send cazadores underwater to fuck you up. Fuck those legion trannys.
yxZ2WDj.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After tinkering with settings in xml files, Risen started looking very pretty again, regretfully, the screenshots still end up blurry and blocky even though I'm playing on 1080 resolution. :(

Did you install any mods ? There is a nice Utility, Risen - ModStarter that shows you the various mods and lets you download them. There are some nice mods that improve Graphics a lot, like the High Res texture pack, Dark Risen, LowPoly Texture mod, Ambient Animation mod and Grass mod.

I _hate_ final bosses. Seriously. It's like making it to the last chapter of a book and not being able to read it beause suddenly everything is written in a fucking weird language hard to access. I can't count the number of jRPGs where I made it to the final boss, and watched the rest on youtube.

Jrpgs aren't known for engaging dialogue choices, so the choice is ending the game in a climatic battle or a long monologue from the hero about friendship. I'll take the former anytime, kthx.

:cry: why do developers hate final bosses... those battles are the ones that stay in history books.

Edit: fuckers trying to be edgy... "bosses are to videogamey"

You have to agree, bosses kind of don't fit a cinematic experience. You usually lose once or twice to bosses, the immersion and emotional connection are severely hurt when that happens...

go watch a movie if you want immersion. I remember dying more than 4 times with the master in fallout 1 and that didnt ruin the "immersion".

That was a joke. Have you have been exposed to that sort of thing for so long, you can't tell anymore? :(

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
That's a good feature from DF that's practically non-existent in other games. How is Gnomoria coming along?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm not a DF player, I choose to derp along with Gnomoria precisely because it seemed a bit more acessible... (DECLINE of Pepe and all that).

While fun, the game seems to suffer from excessive worshops, as having 30 different workshops is definetly overkill. I mena, for working with metal alone you have a Furnace, Forge, Blacksmith, Metalworker, Weaponsmith, Armorer AND a Smelter!

I understand the basic idea, when you have tons of gnomes, is handy to have various workbenchs producing all the materials you need, but still...

Multi-headed Cow

I'm not a DF player
:rpgcodex:

That said, the combat log is promising and Dwarf Fortress-like. I hadn't paid any attention to Gnomoria since I assumed it was popamole like Towns, but maybe not as much. That excessive workshops thing is weird though.

030.png

dwarf-fortress-thumb.jpg

concentrating-capuchin-margaret-saheed.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

Well figured out how to get Dosbox to stream (Running Doom). Specifically has to be windowed, where it starts running like shit was when I tried going fullscreen. God only knows why. http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc/b/385136167
Damn shame my keyboard hates letting me alt-strafe properly. Also a shame it didn't want me to fullscreen. Records fine but means I'm playing in a small window which is a bit of a shame.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, DraQ, it's still Football Manager.

As you can see from the "Past Winners" column, some progress has been made since the 2019-2020 season. We've completely dominated Ligue 1 for five years now, with only PSG occasionally providing a bit of a challenge. Last season we won the Champions League and this season we were crowned Club World Champions. This season PSG might just win the league, though, since the only loss they've suffered the whole season was in the very first game where we thrashed them 5-0. After that they've been pretty much unstoppable and we've thrown away a few easy points due to complacency. The last round of the season is going to be intense when we play them away from home.

Also note how the reputation of the French league has increased since we first made it into continental competitions. Someone actually giving a shit about French club football? Football simulation my ass.

FPLxWXM.jpg

We completely destroyed Bayern München in the Champions League quarter final first leg. A 3-0 win where they didn't even get a single shot away:

Isz8Zyd.jpg

Also, USBCO is now officially funded by Jew gold. The club was bought by an Israeli businessman two seasons ago, and he was like
:takemyjewgold:
from the start, so I actually believed this for a second:

mTd2gR6.jpg

Lots of FFFUUUU...s were had.

I also bought a new striker. Cost me almost $40M but he's scored 42 goals so far so I'm not complaining. Creativity is the key attribute here.

KJwxb15.jpg

Tactics-wise I went back to my trusty asymmetric 4-2-3-1, except that I kept one wing back from my other formations instead of going with two full backs. The good thing about it is that if you find a great player, you can fit him somewhere into this formation. The downside is that you need to have a lot of depth in your squad to provide backup players for all those positions.

The advanced playmaker is the most dangerous player in this formation, playing through balls to the striker and also getting inside the box often to score goals. The complete forward with the support duty complements this by occasionally dropping deeper and drawing opposition centre backs with him.

M76F6aF.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WWWRYYYYYYYYYYYY
12FA5C64D669C3449D07EC259B835EC7DA098B60

71A9C59270A31F084F015190B1BC48BC43827572

Fuck this game, I'm gonna tank in another one...

No, guys, don't rush that fast we are gonna get ki...

D800B2127D22DC421223F269EE811977DA8C8A9D

FFS. Fuck shooters, gonna play a strategy game.

What a beautiful ship I have :love:

2EEA85AA273BFF489ACE17121F6A6C2FD7F7E78E

0A7200E09E4ABFE5B6F6C738FBB2C78B872B1773

0D5243C82A187F9C47AB25A03BD507F81E81E271

I think I'll just chat in CDS or watch a movie now... :hmmm:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Meanwhile in Rise of Nations...

RoNNKKND-01.png

The dreaded Iroquois, who have taken the Nubian government by surprise when they managed to do what the generals and politicians said was impossible, conquer the Russian capital located in the Russian heartland of France are now themselves pressed against the wall. Following the War for Greenland the American continent was slowly becoming a new part of the Great Republic. The Iroquois empire is now but a remnant following brutal warfare involving the powerful Nubian Aircraft carrier fleet, the tank battalions and more.

RoNNKKND-0221.png

Some said that we were reaching the end of history, an era where wars and direct confrontation would be replaced by economical competition. Others said that information technology would lead us towards a technological singularity.

RoNNKKND-03.png

They said that because of rampant nuclear weapon proliferation. Even Nubia itself, so traumatized by the atomic attacks on Malao and other cities during the War for Greenland, developed and expanded its nuclear arsenal. Mutually Assured Destruction ensured that the established powers could not continue to fight one another and conquer so indiscriminately.

RoNNKKND2-02.png

Well they were wrong.

RoNNKKND2-03.png

But in a way...

RoNNKKND2-04.png

RoNNKKND2-01.png

....they were also right.

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE AFTER THE END OF HISTORY.

RoNNKKND-04.png

It was not the end, some survived. Billions died sure, but the earth is once again habitable, mostly. Those that were lucky or had the foresight, well they hid underground. The rest, well those guys grew an additional arm or two sometimes four even, they evolved as they like to say. Also they were kind of pissed off about that so we ended up fighting them. Also some pre-war agricultural robots survived, turns out they had a prime directive. It stated they need to eliminate anything that threatens to destroy or destroys their crops. Guess what the nukes did and guess who fired them? Yeah, they're pissed off at humanity as a whole. Even after the end there can be no peace.

Either way we've got a juicy convoy of some of the world's remaining oil stuck behind a toaster outpost. Time to get it back.

RoNNKKND-05.png

Toasters are camped inside these city ruins. I get a small base which has one factory, a research lab and a power plant and no resources. I need to sneak past the enemy defenses, recover the tankers and unload their juicy oil so I can start producing units and crush krush kill 'n' destroy the enemy base.

This mission is something I couldn't finish for years for some reason. Last attempt was two years ago. I dug up the save file but unfortunately it was an old version, the one were I was on the last mission of another campaign is lost forever. But I never got further than this point in the Survivors campaign.

RoNNKKND-06.png

Like in similar missions from the Command and Conquer series which KKND2 rips off when it comes to gameplay, you need to be smart in how you use your limited forces. If you place a grenadier or tank correctly they'll just barely outrange the turret which is otherwise very lethal (defenses are very strong in KKND but they're hard-capped to 4 turrets of each type/tier). If you would just click on the dolts ordering them to attack it they would run into its range, its probably a deliberate incorporation of a similar "feature" in the original Command and Conquer (also known as C&C: Tiberian Dawn) where the missile troopers would have a range of 4 when standing still where as with the attack order he only had a range of 2. That allowed them to outrange guard towers which were deadly to infantry. The C&C clone part goes a lot deeper than you would think bros!

BTW the ruined buildings block line of fire, also units firing from higher ground didn't reveal themselves. Despite being an obvious clone it also does some thing which C&C didn't do until 2 years later or never for that matter.

RoNNKKND-07.png

After the turret is down I take down the wall and enter the toaster base. It's guarded by two or three tesla coils lightning generators which are ridiculously powerful endgame defenses so I can't blow it up easily. Well not the whole base. I carefully position my tank and 4 grenadiers to blow up as many buildings outside of the enemy base. His economy is essentially wrecked as he lost a powerplant, oil rig and a research building. Should slow the toasters down.

RoNNKKND-08.png

After popping some more robot moles patrolling north and blowing up another barricade I locate the tankers. Look at all that juicy oil! Better get it back to base before Rumsfeld's and Bush's spawn learns about it, assuming the nukes spared their genes.

MCV.png

After offloading the oil (which like tiberium in C&C is a slow process that clogs up the single refinery power plant) I upgrade my factory enough so that I can finally build a Mobile Construction Vehicle Outpost. I sent it west to deploy near two virgin oil fields in the west so I can build refineries close to them. Unfortunately while the game does follow the C&C style of building only within a radius of other buildings it has no silos to spam (or a mechanic like the outposts of C&C3 and RA3 which would be even better), barracks work best as they're cheapest but they still build slow. Key difference between this and C&C, you can build multiple units and buildings at the same time (even multiple unit types at one factory simultaneously!) but buildings are placed before construction finishes.

RoNNKKND-09.png

Turns out the AI ran out of cash energy after I busted its power plant and oil rig, it had an under construction power plant which it couldn't finish due to lack of cash energy. Yeah KKND is odd like that it uses energy as its only currency, although it's called Resource Units in game not the first nor last RTS to do that IIRC, Homeworld and Earth 2150 also did that.

You can in fact get RUs from renewable energy sources, that is you can build solar power plants (survivors), windmills (series 9) and pig farms (evolved, its an Australian post-nuclear RTS of course they got the pig farming for methane production idea from Mad Max 3). That tech is (nearly) endgame, they're hard-capped (4 of each tier max, 2 tiers) and expensive so they're pretty balanced considering their not really stellar resource rates (especially in the case of the lower tier ones). Drilling for oil is still a better choice but you're not totally screwed without it.

I bombed the sole SAM turret with 3 bombers and two fighters loosing two in the process (defenses are no joke as I said). The tesla coil ripoffs went down easily as they can't shoot at air units. I mopped up and finished the mission.

RoNNKKND-10.png

Master Chief rank :M

Was a lot easier than expected, there were a lot harder missions. Should have known the trick to it was to keep the tanks and grenadiers alive at all cost and place them properly to outrange those turrets. i could have beaten the PAR time if I didn't derp around for so long techning and expanding needlessly when the AI couldn't build shit with no income.

RoNNKKND-11.png

Campaign map, you can skip some missions but you need to do them later anyway to progress beyond a certain point. While the map is identical for all 3 campaigns the missions apart from the final strongholds are not. Left corner is the Series 9 robot stronghold, top is Evolved land and right is survivor. When you start you fight both factions in your 1/3 of the map, then from the middle you can choose who you want to fight by going into their respective territories. But otherwise it lacks any meta-mechanics like tiberian sun's optional missions making main missions easier or Emperor's sub-factions/reinforcements, so it's just a fancy pick a mission screen.

Anyway while I did have the damn Evolved conquered on the old file here I don't. But I never saw the Series 9 stronghold.

RoNNKKND-12.png

Time to kick toaster ass (or I'll probably give up like I did with the survivor stronghold in the toaster campaign because it's teh hard :M).

Anyway KKND 2: Krossfire is a classical example of a Command and Conquer clone, probably one of the last of its kind as it was released a few months after Starcraft,it itself was already on the copycat bandwagon as it had 3 races but that's pretty much the only similarity between it and SC. Although these follow the Warcraft style of being mostly thematic reskins and not truly unique, so it may not have been inspired by SC at all.

There are some minor differences but even at the time (after Starcraft) that was kind of unacceptable, the biggest flaw of an otherwise very solid C&C clone which itself even outdoes the series it imitates and other games in some aspects. For one it had unit veterancy, custom units (although limited compared to Earth 2150 or Warzone), decent AI (it actually recognizes which side of your base is least defended and exploits that!), nice 2D art and effects, a solid campaign mission design (not Tiberian Sun level solid but not that far behind, better than RA or the first C&C or even the first two Warcrafts IMO), better sidebar interface, better and less awkward air unit implementation (they can scout shroud/fog of war, they crash and damage things when shot down).

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
crono.jpg

I'm starting to understand this game's appeal to the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom