Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Beggar

Cipher
Finally made it through that awful base game. DLC's are really good! Too bad mechanics itself suffers from horrible decisions that were done in the engine; like slicing through an enemy as if it was air with HP, level 100 just few hours into the game, also the need to carry Repair Powder all the time, because your weapon can brake down after 20 killed enemies, and god only knows how much mobs are in every DLC location, probably hundreds.

popp.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
More Doom...

Paradise v2

vMV3k47.jpg

UTjJYlY.jpg

A short episode with 5 maps + 2 secret maps. There are too many small changes to weapons and enemies to list them all here. The most impactful changes are, that most weapons have magazines and need to be reloaded, they have a faster rate of fire, and you can switch weapons instantly (but can't cancel reload animations). This allows you to empty the magazine of one weapon, then switch to a different weapon and continue firing without interruption, typically finishing with the SSG.
I played this on "Tough", which is the equivalent of UV, and then again on "Extreme", which is more like UV++ instead of Nightmare and is intended for a second playthrough when you are familiar with the gameplay changes. With a bit of practice, I could beat all maps on Tough without saves. On Extreme? Nope... But it was a good challenge, for the most part, and I was always eager to try again.

WPTxx9c.jpg

New gibs and blood effects.

8T4UaDu.jpg

The Poison Elemental spits poison clouds instead of Lost Souls.
And Mancubi shoot a slightly different pattern that is harder to dodge.

F33xt5F.jpg

The new Barons have a rocket launcher arm that falls off when they are below 50% health.

w5aTzzk.jpg

iSQEZaC.jpg

Fire Archviles, or whatever they are called, ignite the floor beneath you. They aren't as dangerous as regular Archviles. Just keep moving and don't run backwards into the flames.
If you look closely, you can see 50-100 Imps in this screenshot.

isjOam7.jpg

The new Scrap Gun is like a projectile shotgun with high spread. Very powerful up close, it fires 4 quick shots before reloading. It's an excellent tool to break through a horde of Imps, or to kill Cyberdemons.
It's unfortunate that the new/redesigned weapons all look too similar. The Scrap Gun looks like an extended SSG. And the Assault Rifle (re-skinned Chaingun) looks similar to the normal Shotgun. It's a bit harder to tell which weapon you have equipped, at a glance.

mMvmFO3.jpg

I hope you like the color green.

4s8Uazf.jpg

w8b6Vwp.jpg

I need a new CPU to play Doom.

b1UTBZz.jpg

This ... is the worst fight in the game. Archviles continue to teleport in, and to avoid the burns you have to hide in the holes (like a real Doom Slayah), then push a button to raise the platform and climb out again. Sounds cool on paper. Except, the holes are too small and really hard to fall into, even with shift-walking. You have to run into those ledges from the right direction, and you have to be quick, no margin for error, while you are blinded by flames and blocked by Imps, Hell Knights, Revenants, and Spectres. I should have saved more rockets for this fight.

TK0S3g6.jpg

yPQKX43.jpg

fCm8JOM.jpg

er0hegS.jpg

CuLsg5k.jpg
:greatjob:

Shadows of the Nightmare Realm

oPFFDUq.jpg

KMCFvhi.jpg

This one has 4 maps + 1 secret map. The premise looked interesting. Doomguy is haunted by demons in his dreams. Spooky. I quit during the second map out of boredom. SotNR got second place in the Cacowards 2017, behind lilith.pk3. Must have been a slow year.
The level design consists of mostly rectangular rooms that are connected by rectangular corridors. Doors are hard to open for some reason. I always have to hit the use key twice. Encounter design is lame. Enter a room, lots of monsters spawn, leave the room and fight them at the door. Repeat. Many new monsters have been added, and they are almost all pointless and spongy. Difficulty comes mainly from attrition. Take small hits here and there, and eventually you will be starving for scarcely placed stimpacks.
Maybe I should be more skeptical of WADs that want me to enable full mouselook, dynamic lights, and default bloom settings (I like the effect in principle but have it usually toned way down).

VwNa7yh.jpg

XcpdOtZ.jpg

soop3pZ.jpg

There are several instances of room-over-room. I don't know how this is done. But typical for Doom, enemies that are a couple of floors above or below will still block you. It's just annoying.

SrKWroS.jpg

Swimming?

hVOBJna.jpg

cuOofY6.jpg

MjpdDfd.jpg

These Barons must have almost as much health as Cyberdemons.
:notsureifserious:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is that one mod or did you have to install all of those separately?

Not one mod... all from the linked guide and then some :) Current mod count: 165

Part 1 and the immersion section of Part 2.1 of the guide will get you about 70-80% there, though.

JDR13

Arcane
Is that one mod or did you have to install all of those separately?

Not one mod... all from the linked guide and then some :) Current mod count: 165

Part 1 and the immersion section of Part 2.1 of the guide will get you about 70-80% there, though.

Geez.. how long did it take you to install all of those? I think I'd rather just use the MGSO mod even if it doesn't look quite as good.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Geez.. how long did it take you to install all of those? I think I'd rather just use the MGSO mod even if it doesn't look quite as good.

Maybe like 6-8 hours in total, but that includes learning how to use Mod Manager, troubleshoot problems, wait for some large downloads, etc. I started Tuesday evening just installing the base game and having no clue about modding at all, then by Friday evening I got everything installed and working (I did this in my free time beside work, so 2-3 hours a day or so).

I'd say you can do it in a day on the weekend, probably in half a day if you know what you're doing and you have a fast connection for downloading the mods. Ultimately, I think it's very much worth it because then you're gonna spend 100+ hours with the game easily, so it's a relatively small investment of time.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
wcNdFnE.jpg

kQynM9x.png

Remember Me: Platforming is extremely streamlined, basically full auto with no chance of failure. Combat gets fun after the 40% mark as you get some cool combos to build up and shit.

But, the world is the reason you should play. The architecture, economics & culture are very interesting. Even the way the game thought about the future robots is very interesting.
Though the games topic is memory & the concept of erasing & rewriting them, a subject that should write itself..The game does not tackle anything too interesting and thus the game basically is just a tourist destination.
For sci-fi fans I absolutely recommend just for the premise & world, just be prepared for an interactive movie with occasional decent gameplay i.e combat thrown in.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Sadly I couldn't stomach the combat and gave up on the game after about an hour. Much better games to play...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom