Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

aris

Arcane
Definitely trying it when it becomes cheaper. Just rembered that what Paradox definitely can't into is making their games actually work without CCT the first time you load the game and alt + tab support, and ridicolously long loading times. FFS, I ahve an SSD harddisk, still took 2 minutes to load.
:x

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
IrcVPuG.jpg

The noose tightens, EmoBunny...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted. It's a nice little MMORPG with a pretty mature (if even a bit furry) community, a good crafting system (for an MMO) and fun classes. And you can play DRAGONS!

horizons_13629525434iehk.jpg

horizons_1363203673mld8v.jpg

Look at my manly beard, it even goes through my not-so-manly helmet!

horizons_1363643281zvdoj.jpg

horizons_1363645686ngexs.jpg

Other DRAGONS!

horizons_1363649146buc97.jpg

My own DRAGON!

Fucking DRAGONS, people!

PS:
In before "You named yourselves Orang and Utan!" But come on, look at these dwarves, they do look like apes.

Multi-headed Cow

:lol:

That was pretty great Ulminati. Also made me wish they had in-game Kerbal radio chatter, just jibberish playing in the background.

Multi-headed Cow

:lol:

That was pretty great Ulminati. Also made me wish they had in-game Kerbal radio chatter, just jibberish playing in the background.

Thanks! :)
This took way longer than I expected it would. I'm not sure this arms race in screenshot thread will end well.

Also, I googled "Kerbal radio chatter" and came up with this: http://kerbalspaceport.com/chatterer/
Oh. Oh god. THAT'S PERFECT. Googled it up to hear it in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGyF4crU_g

Gonna have to install that fucker.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh. Oh god. THAT'S PERFECT. Googled it up to hear it in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGyF4crU_g

Yeah. It's the Apollo 11 radio chatter sped up and played backwards. :P

I used the combine chatter from HL2 in my video. (In hindsight I should probably have gone with some soviet radio chatter). Anyway, since the chatterer seems to have its sound files stored in a folder, I'm going to try speeding the combine chatter up a little and playing it in reverse. If it sounds sufficiently kerbal, I'll cut it into new snippets. At the urging of the Kodex Kinematic Konkistador felipepepe I'm looking into grabbing a copy of premiere/after effects for better vidya editing. Maybe I'll try doing a Starship Troopers style recruitment video for Kerbal Space Program.

....Fuck, my biggest time sink obsession just got bigger.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Using grenade launcher in close quarters made a toast out of a woman and everyone around (except for titty cyborg behind her).
24paow7.png

Now I'm in some shithole and the situation doesn't look good.
nwhvtx.png

The game is spooky anyway.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Whoa, ACW grand strategy game? Never even knew about that one.

Ashery

Prophet
Welp, just crashed after undoing some pitch, so I'm now here to throw up missions twelve through fourteen.

4Rn8HQP.jpg

This is the first mission where you need to assault an enemy castle. Most of the units should be obvious, save for the tunnelers right below the crossbowmen. With these guys, you place a tunnel entrance and, should they not get killed during the initial period when they're vulnerable, they tunnel underneath enemy fortifications and damage them. It takes two tunnelers to completely destroy a ~3x3 section of wall. They have a fairly limited range, but it's long enough to not be shot at from walls.

This force looks a bit small, but this fight is *nothing* compared to the shit that mission fifteen puts you up against.

Oh, and after you take over the keep, the objective is to raise 12k gold.

gHyvy2G.jpg

Enemy forces. The corner just off screen to the left is my point of entry. There's a small area where you can place tunnel entrances on the hill that's out of range of the various missile units. Once the wall was down, it was pretty easy sweep of the towers with macemen thanks to the convenient stairwell placement.

Once again, though, the starting setup of the keep was absolute shit.

No combat footage of the assault, sadly, as the game's built in screenshot function is shit (Doesn't number'em, so only one can be taken before I tab out and rename it) and the game's a micromanagement nightmare when attacking.

fEDiRNt.jpg

:love:

Whenever I start to feel bad for cheesing the game by using map edges, I think back to how badly the game handles micromanagement and decide that this game fucking owes me for mission fifteen.

ElhLr3Z.jpg

Notice the change in layout, heh. Decided to mass export bread for gold production.

I also decided to show off the popularity menu (The top value in the bottom right). It should be straightforward; If you're at or above fifty, peasants join, and if you're below, they leave.

mousBC7.jpg

Time to kill off The Snake (Four enemy lords: Rat (Already dead), Snake, Pig, and Wolf).

Unfortunately, this mission was one of the most disappointing because of its initial promise. You need to build up a force to assault The Snake's keep while weathering frequent assaults from The Pig. However, The Pig's AI bugged out or some shit and they never left their signpost spawn. That is why I didn't bother taking a screenshot until near the end. On top of that, The Snake just sits there with his thumb up his ass.

Just to add insult to injury, I decided to max out my positive fear factor before sending out my macemen and catapults. "Good things" increase happiness and military effectiveness while decreasing productivity. "Bad things" do the opposite. It may sound like positive fear factor is overpowered, but the hit in productivity decreases happiness via reduced food production (Extra rations are my favored way for generating popularity), so the net gain in popularity is, at best, minimal and, at worst, actually a net loss.

Y7Fz4BX.jpg

Before.

ebSHNJY.jpg

After.

Not even tasteful. :smug:

The facial animations in this game are laughably bad to begin with...but holy shit at The Snake :lol:

nCu2KVK.jpg

This mission was on the short list of missions that I remembered fucking me over badly back when I first played. It's all about straight survival: Three chokepoints are prebuilt and the player has no access to stone save via the marketplace.

Initial move was to send all preexisting units to the first chokepoint, destroy the stairwells so the macemen won't be able to do to my men what I did to The Snake's a couple missions ago, and send all new recruits to the second chokepoint. Those little wooden spikes are killing pits that were already placed at the start of the mission and they kill the first unit to walk over them. They're great except for one thing: They cost six fucking wood each (Most buildings cost 10-20; Woodcutters cost 3). It's great for late game when you've got nothing else to do with wood but manufacture weapons, but you *really* need that wood for economic expansion early on.

The garrison worked, but just barely. Only one crossbowman and the engineers manning the ballista survived.

yO9QYX4.jpg

Final wave...Oh god...

kObMvVF.jpg

Unfortunately, once again, the AI fucked it up and made this mission a bit of a disappointment. Instead of a massive blob, I just faced small waves that didn't even make it to the killing pits along the wall.

Oh, and that orange blob in the middle? That's a diseased cow thrown from the catapult. Causes some damage over time in the area where it lands. Probably would've saved my ass if the The Pig's AI didn't win the fight for me.

K5rrsew.jpg

Mmm...plague :love:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Damn. I remember one of the battles you had to assault a castle with a handful of troops. I think it was the Pig's keep. Almost made want to kick my computer out the window.

Also, I could never really get into the Crusaders-pack. All the scenarios felt more like RTS-games than what the first Stronghold gave. Maybe I should give it another shot, but my first experience was pretty disappointing.

And does anyone remember that sort of "tower defense" mini-game that came out a little before Stronghold's release? You played as three archers on three towers of varied height. You simply shot at increasingly deadly attackers as they streamed across the fields. It was really fun, but I have never really seen it since. (I think it came on a PCGamer demo disc.)

Ashery

Prophet
Damn. I remember one of the battles you had to assault a castle with a handful of troops. I think it was the Pig's keep. Almost made want to kick my computer out the window.

That's mission fifteen.

I actually pulled out a win on very hard, but it took me several sessions and a ton of partial and full failures. I also relied heavily on exploiting the AI as well as some non-exploit tricks, but I'll go into it more once I do that write up (Mini-LP I suppose, but I've got a terrible track record for official ones, so I'm keeping it this way :lol:)

Also, I could never really get into the Crusaders-pack. All the scenarios felt more like RTS-games than what the first Stronghold gave. Maybe I should give it another shot, but my first experience was pretty disappointing.

I've actually never played Crusaders, which is surprising as I tend to revisit Stronghold quite often.

And does anyone remember that sort of "tower defense" mini-game that came out a little before Stronghold's release? You played as three archers on three towers of varied height. You simply shot at increasingly deadly attackers as they streamed across the fields. It was really fun, but I have never really seen it since. (I think it came on a PCGamer demo disc.)

No idea...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Despite these stats, Brutal Legend still claims only 99% completion. WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

....Ok. First attempt at using premiere/after effects. For some reason, it refused to use the resolution of the original recordings (1280x768) but c'est la vie. More practice is needed.

Zeriel

Arcane
Those faces are so... so weird next to the art style/texture resolution of the rest of the scene, including clothing.

potatojohn

Arcane
Those are some pretty decent graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom