Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Maybe it was just me, but the game gave me a bit of motion sickness.

Does it have head bobbing? And if so, can you turn it off?

Riskbreaker

Naveen
The game doesn't agree well with your aspect ratio, hence it being zoomed-in and that black bar at the bottom. The same thing happened to me when I first ran it.
Try to run it in say some 16:9 resolution and see if that fixes it for you.

Zariusz

Arbiter
mNyZcNP.png

EfFvV5j.png

plUU0YW.png

dfIuBgK.png

Ekddh2P.png

I finished Dust (Pył) an FPS from 1998, apparently it was first fully 3D game of Potato origin. Even though it suffers from lack of weapons, poor optimisation (game was rushed by publisher from what i remember, only possible to run semi fluidly on modern PC thanks to russian Dosbox magicians) it still was a somewhat fun experience. This is not a typical shooter, every bullet, grenade and mine counts (especially mines and grenades since they are used for finding hidden stashes and sometimes to proced further in level) and your character is fragile.
Locations are diverse, each level has its own atmosphere:

Anastasia is a station is full of rust, russian writings, wild animals, starving madmen (probably cannibals) and wild animals.

Goleb, underground base is full of slave/prisoner workers, cyborg guards that blind and shock you, flying explosive drones and mining equipment, it gave for some reason riddick vibes (films not game)
Platform is a gigantic moving machine (like sandcrawlers from Star Wars) and biggest level, it has that Half Life 1 feel of level connectivity, you go to many different parts of machine from hub like hangar, you crawl through maintenance tunnels to generators where you are striked by electricity and attacked by cleaner bots, climb upwards toward bridge where you must find codes and destroy memory banks, escape through waste disposal system (with that fucking half buggged sequence when you try to not get shredded by giantic rotor) and severs. And whole level is full of enemy commandos with miniguns, workers with shotguns etc. It was my favourite level.

Canion is a dark labyrinth full of campers with rocket launchers and the following Walkiria level is a somewhat clean old burried german spaceship full of supersoldiers/mutants/ghosts(?) with a few mines and automatic turrets.

Story is there though i felt it was somewhat disconnected from what i did during gameplay, mainly on Goleb though maybe i missed something, its served to you in form of text walls during loading screens written from protagonist perspective.
Music is good and builds atmosphere even if only there are few tracks. My favourite track was this

Its a shame that this game is now mostly forgotten, one of the creators was making a port to Unity but few years ago he put that on hold (probably forever - link to that project https://pyl1998.wordpress.com/dust-1998-201x/). This game makes me sad, this is a decent game and if it was polished properly before release, with planned armoured walker levels, more content, real optimisation and who knows maybe with multiplayer and construction kit, today it would be considered a classic that stands proudly together with Half Life, Quake, Unreal and other FPS of that era.

Russian optimised package download link. First option from download list have polish version and english localisation.
https://www.old-games.ru/game/download/4527.html

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Zariusz
It's a damn impressive game in several ways. Right off the bat, the way it sometimes sets up encounters is more akin to your modern hybrid games. Think of that open area in the first map, the one with all the broken down ships and the catwalk above them. You are encouraged to headshot enemies one by one in a way that won't alert them all at once, you can use your environment - get them bellow one of those crates and shot at it, it'll fall down and explode.
And in open combat, their agility and mobility is Skaarj-grade, they'll run around, dodge, jump on platforms. Add to that that you go down in a couple of shots and that your vision blurs when heavily wounded (another modern touch, for better or worse), open combat is BRUTAL. (what doesn't help here is that I had some issues with buggy movement and clipping when playing, tho I'm not sure how much of that might be specific to that old-games package)

Anyway, great write up. I wish that one of those companies specializing in rereleases would look into this thing, it deserves to be recovered.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Drakan - Ancient Gate

Look how they massacred my girl...
f7wiO8o.jpg

For some reasons they give Rhynn some kind of anime virus, meanwhile other NPCs looks more like slightly tweaked models from the first game.

Sequel to Order of Flame, for some reason it was PS2 exclusive. It reminds me about that RPG from Volition named Summoner - first game was for PC and PS2 while sequel was PS2 exclusive, no idea why.

Controls are bit off, you can't strafe unless you lock your camera on the target, which makes fight with multiple enemies (or among some obstacles) painful.

Story is over, there are no more Tomb Raider rivals made (and will not be made in current years) making ending a bit bittersweet.

There are RPG elements in the game but they only limit your arsenal and don't boost damage or unlock any combos.
It's pointless since you have to focus on Melee and put some points into magic for Healing and 2+ level of bullet time.
Tried bows and they suck. No wonder since it plays like first person bow shooter and gamepad (with no strafing!) is not fitted for that.

Another issue happen when you call dragon to your position, it takes some time because that old bastard contantly get stuck in the enviroment.

RvQaEYY.jpg

nvPciWY.jpg

vAIsooF.jpg

droxGSR.jpg

hYXIZDX.jpg

C1oeWEM.jpg

rlhmH1S.jpg

uFA59SO.jpg

YvLTtHC.jpg

rU3emG8.jpg

Those enemies sometimes don't play post death animations which let me make some nice screenshots
6T2zAof.jpg

tVCExMM.jpg

H5BzjF4.jpg

62d9q5k.jpg

M1qxpMC.jpg

noddishituagain..
9UQeD4w.jpg

YEnGhXc.jpg

XHxIiZT.jpg

45wH0YA.jpg

oi
K2DdC9x.jpg

TjxLGPP.jpg

GNUgrsI.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sequel to Order of Flame, for some reason it was PS2 exclusive.
I know that reason.
It's :retarded:.
Although the first Drakan was developed for the PC, it was published by Psygnosis, which had been acquired by Sony back in 1993. Psygnosis at first continued its operations as usual, but there was a complete reorganization in 1998 to 2000 that involved the sale of part of its operations followed by the merger of the remainder into other Sony subsidiaries, and as a consequence PC development was entirely abandoned for consoles. After the release of the first Drakan in August 1999, Surreal Software evidently decided to continue with the same publisher (transferring to Sony Computer Entertainment from its Psygnosis subsidiary) even though this meant switching platforms to the Playstation 2. :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Usually I find the idea of female guards in fantasy games sniggerworthy, but other times they would have been preferable.

uvvoPRM.jpg

R2uaEuW.jpg

I'm nearing the end in Arcanum, so I'm going through the hundreds of screenshots I've made to pick up loose ends.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm nearing the end in Arcanum
Didn't you just start it?

Been playing it more than three weeks now. So it's longer than the Fallouts.
Much time could have been shaved with a better journal and the use of menu towns, though.

Where do you find the time? :(

By forsaking material wealth. After all, time is the most valuable commodity in the universe.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I don't feel like resizing this so bear with the period accurate resolution. I have been playing through Wizardry 7 and could not for the life of me figure out how to progress during the beginning so I went around and explored, leveled up a few times, found some other stuff, and then after all this I realized something. The map I made of New City was wrong. See that path on the left? When mapping I made that path into a wall so whenever I would reference my map all I would see is a dead end not an entire section of the city.
07tsjv5.png

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thief - The Trail of the Arch-Heretic

An interesting concept map, with Heretic infused together with Thief. Although it doesn't have sneaking in any form, it's a really cool concept, and I wish the author made more, since it was obviously his digital love letter to both games.

screenshot_heretic_20ukkes.jpg

screenshot_heretic_20kakbj.jpg

screenshot_heretic_20awku8.jpg

screenshot_heretic_20s2jxz.jpg

screenshot_heretic_20izkhp.jpg

screenshot_heretic_20yrjcy.jpg

screenshot_heretic_20hsj3w.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
The Long Dark. What the fuck happened? I'm so sad. For those who don't know, it's a very good survival game and a huge passion project with a long history. Once a small indie-game supported by strong community turned massive hit and things started to get a little fucky. The game has been released in aug 2017 with 2 of 5 episodes of the story mode with the promise of granting the rest for free to those who bought it before that date. They kept their promise, but the episode development went extremely slow, long story short - episode four came out only two days ago. Oh, and: (1-3) ep. were meh at best while the meat of the game has always been the survival (sandboxish open-world) mode.

Now I've finished the fourth episode and gotta say I'm a bit stunned by the experience. The third one has had already some questionable sjw-like (or rather fem-like) stuff in it but now - oh boy. The whole plot of 4th episode can be summed up as: the leader of *roaming free* convicts (all white males, by the way) pushing you around on the surround area while *someone* messing with convict's plans, contacting you and eventually you meet and team up (enemy of my enemy and all that). Now, who is this *someone* might be? With a deeeeep female voice, allegedly bright and promising young scientist?
9FDA4C4D58B4B971FCA08F85A3C0AF4335303396
Yeah, no surprises here (a very lousy cast/voice acting by the way). However, I've guessed her... particularities long before that but what's next? And next I've witnessed the most cringe cut scene ever. The confrontation between *them* and us/*her* including such subtle pitch bits like
13DF0DF069D3391BA78BB7C6BA6BDA5D5D5052F9
or
0C6F2C6433361EF637BD1D1B42A04FFB0361FCCD
:roll: I'm not even going to add that this whole thing has no point whatsoever plot wise, the mcguffin has been taken from convicts right before that so prot and this gal should have been running away instead. But more importantly: uhh, survival on a canadian isle? .... Jfk, must they ruin everything? That's a long development history for you, I guess. So tiresome. I went and have changed review to "thumb down", they can go fuck themselves.
A1D5A5BDDB709F168C1CCBAE45900A8695C3B479

Hey there.
29567A674FB04D2BE8333C58593BDB246F3789F2

Bye-bye, game.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
BTW I highly recommend Ghost of a Tale to just about anyone.
:love:
Sequel to Order of Flame, for some reason it was PS2 exclusive.
I know that reason.
It's :retarded:.
Although the first Drakan was developed for the PC, it was published by Psygnosis, which had been acquired by Sony back in 1993. Psygnosis at first continued its operations as usual, but there was a complete reorganization in 1998 to 2000 that involved the sale of part of its operations followed by the merger of the remainder into other Sony subsidiaries, and as a consequence PC development was entirely abandoned for consoles. After the release of the first Drakan in August 1999, Surreal Software evidently decided to continue with the same publisher (transferring to Sony Computer Entertainment from its Psygnosis subsidiary) even though this meant switching platforms to the Playstation 2. :M
For some reason I also haven't played Drakan 2 despite loving 1.
This reason I also know.
:keepmymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom