Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

schru

Arcane
The remake with the additional story and a few simplified gameplay sections. It looks nice, though the colour correction may be a bit excessive in some places.

I managed to snag it on steam years and years back while it was still on sale. Not that I've much use of it being in my library there as I still had to use a cracked .exe in the end: the game employed Tages DRM which is pretty much dead and none of the workarounds mentioned on the steam forums helped.
Wish I picked up the GOG release while I still could, that one is gone now too.

I have it on GOG, but I've never played it. I remember the original Butcher Bay being pretty good though.

What did they simplify about the gameplay compared to the original? Is it simplified in a bad way?
It's been a longer time since I played them, so I can't remember the changes in much detail. A major one that stands out is in the underground section after Riddick drops down into the pit with a guard and has to make his way out as he continually attacked by mutants. In the original version the crank needed to raise the gate leading out of the area was missing and the player had to find it first. It seems that the mutants don't attack with such persistence in the remastered version either, and the changes to the lighting probably make it possible to see without the torch, even though part of that set piece is about the torch being damaged in the fall and about to stop working.

It also felt like the hand-to-hand combat sections were easier in the remaster, but perhaps I had just got better at them. One more thing I recall is that there was something about certain levels directly outside the second major section of the prison (the one where the prisoners are housed in containers) that made it much easier to get through them, possibly fewer guards or their routes and positioning were changed in a way that made it easier to sneak past them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indiana Jones with guns boobs

7dwxtFI.jpg

tSPuvUK.jpg

tLihIYQ.jpg

6nMyqEO.jpg

JbcCwlV.jpg

M8SChWR.jpg

JTRDiCj.jpg

I'm playing through TR1 too and seeing it in such high resolution and with a long view distance feels weird. I play the Steam version straight out of the box with no patches or mods, it runs through DOSBox which gives it some minor visual glitches but other than that looks straight outta 1996.

I find the lower view distance and grainy resolution only contribute to TR1's foreboding atmosphere:
20220212154107-1.jpg

20220227213436-1.jpg

20220408233121-1.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I find the lower view distance and grainy resolution only contribute to TR1's foreboding atmosphere.
When using TR1 - CE, you can change the draw distance to any value you want (.cfg files) and disable bilinear filtering (menu options):

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...and-other-pc-games.90431/page-17#post-7888986

Code:
    // The distance (in tiles) at which objects and the world
    // start to fade into blackness.
    // The default hardcoded value in TR1 is 12.
    // The default (disabled) value in TombATI is 72.
    "draw_distance_fade": 22.0,

// The distance (in tiles) at which objects and the world are clipped away.
    // The default hardcoded value in TR1 is 20.
    // The default (disabled) value in TombATI is 80.
    "draw_distance_max": 30.0,

Personally, I haven't even noticed the higher VD, until I saw your screenshots. :/

MichaelB

Literate
Probably my favorite RPG so far and I could write an essay on why it's so good but the codex already knows why. I'm currently going through Fallout 2.
Can you quickly elaborate on what makes it so unique? It's a well made game for sure, but beyond:
1)charming graphics and interface
2)no handholding, trusting the player to make intelligent decisions and explore on their own, with inclusion of some hints
3)that one caravan guard saying the F-word
is there really anything essay-worthy about it? Not to be rude, maybe that was just a stand-in for 'really cool'.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What a fine specimen; surely he is destined to be the X-Com Commander who will save Mankind from the terror from the deep.
2PSv82m.png

After grooming him for success for a couple of missions, I suddenly noticed something...
eTv2qiu.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Screenshot-Doom-20220506-205829.png

Fuck that demon up, boys

If that is the battle I think it is, the first time I played it the CyberDemon killed all the Barons, and the went down after one shot from my rocket launcher.

It probably is. I played through it like a buffoon and started blasting everyone and promptly got taken down after invulnerability wore off. Then I took the cuck approach and watched the Barons gangbang the CyberDemon.

P.S. Doom is fun. A shame I played through the first game with jump and mouselook enabled, at least I rectified my mistake for Doom II.

Sjukob

Arcane
Amid Evil
I find this game to be overrated as fuck. It's the only game I've ever refunded on steam, because I was utterly bored with it's trivial combat, and I couldn't stand the visuals.

Anyway, here are some random maps for Quake: Biome, Temple of Teuthis and Godfreys Demesne.
quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-15-44-36-90.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-15-48-39-32.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-15-41-55-22.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-00-45-34-52.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-01-14-31-83.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-01-37-58-50.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-01-47-08-16.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-15-05-48-57.png

quakespasm-spiked-win64-2022-05-08-15-11-36-88.png

HansDampf

Arcane
tZghkCw.png

fEivs8x.png

:hmmm:

gLpmUEc.png

How about a stupid bug? I went down into Tixa Dungeon, the game got confused and switched to the TB interface while still running in real time mode. I couldn't move or do anything except wait until the enemy spotted me with my pants down. Thanks, game. Buns took some big hits, and a stun grenade knocked out half my squad. This was looking really bad. The only reason I didn't lose anyone was because everyone is carrying smoke grenades. Standard safety measure.
No more bugs, pls. :?

vQ1d1ob.png

I like how every town offers different styles of combat. Balime has lots of campers hidden in houses.

RCCg7iu.png

Here I tried to flank them. But when Wolf peaked around the corner again, he got interrupted by 3 guys who all just happened to stand in this narrow angle. Sure.

WbdffeT.png

Saved by Dr. Q.

3t9u1dl.png

Trevor stealing the chalice. In the bottom right corner: Museum guard Eldin, not doing his job.

DU1GFXm.png

In Alma I tried the stealthy approach to get the secret weapons.

Jkfvq1I.png

It didn't work out. Needed more SMGs with silencers.

u5nmDOM.png

All gone. :(

gDgjHZZ.png

Another new merc: Meltdown. Heavy weapons expert. I have big plans for her.

RRjs1NM.png

Odd place to meet Mike. I usually find him in Grumm.

VFN1bOJ.png

cVuXBLY.png
What a shame x 1

qfPB7Hk.png

This guy was hiding behind the door, lol. Looks like he was trying to stab Wolf, but Dr. Q got the interrupt.

FErblu7.png

I hate campers. One of them is going to get me eventually.

Hvka7Rw.png

:bounce:

2QocHX5.png

I've played this game many times before but only once with sci-fi mode. I didn't even know about this guy or Gabby. Can't afford to waste time searching for him anyway. I need the mine. At least I've found the robot.

ajWpygN.png

This isn't just fluff dialogue. When she sees one of them, she gets fewer AP.

sySJ3RT.png

Pukazoids. Meltdown calls them mudpuppies. My IMP calls them sushi. So many extra lines recorded for an optional quest that many players will never see.

XtudPJh.png

QZKFQtT.png

This dungeon wasn't too bad, except for the final sector which must have had at least 30 pukazoids. No deaths. Only Ira got hurt pretty bad, and she wasn't wearing a gas mask. Careless.

lDTptop.png

A few mustard grenades later...

LzLxsQ9.png

Wait... Where is the corpse? And the loot? Isn't she supposed to drop slime that works like compund-18? Nothing! That's not fair.
:rpgcodex:

Anyway, only Grumm and Meduna left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom