Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
2ED31943AE161E012B0F6610B60BE356457542B2

Quite the hill to die on.

Arthandas

Prophet
duckstation-qt-x64-Release-LTCG-2023-09-14-22-36-36.png

duckstation-qt-x64-Release-LTCG-2023-09-14-22-43-58.png

duckstation-qt-x64-Release-LTCG-2023-09-14-22-49-16.png

duckstation-qt-x64-Release-LTCG-2023-09-14-22-51-28.png

duckstation-qt-x64-Release-LTCG-2023-09-14-22-52-49.png

duckstation-qt-x64-Release-LTCG-2023-09-14-23-02-57.png

Some screens from early areas in FF IX (Duckstation + CRT Royale). The slot mask will look like shit if the images are not opened in full res.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Interesting choice of CRT filter. Going for the running the game using an emulator using HLE graphics emulation on a late 90s PC CRT look.

I myself prefer LLE graphics emulation simulating a consumer aperture grill TV for 240p console games.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
AC6 did made me hungry for some good old robot action, so have some Mechwarrior Living Legend official "mech explodes on Strana Mechti" screenshot of the day :

ScreenShot0000.jpg

Also lol noobs :

ScreenShot0001.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
screenshot-2023-09-16-11-29-02.png

I tried this.

Now this is a treat. A game based on the TV series Twin Peaks with a PS1 graphic style made in the vein of old survival horror games to boot. Boy, oh boy. Twin Peaks: Into the Night is an excellent demonstration of what could become something great in the future. However, as I see it there is one big complication attached here. I’m not talking about the production itself, but the licensing since the game doesn’t only borrow ideas from Twin Peaks, it is Twin Peaks! So, unless the developer Blue Rose Team plans to release the full game as something free, I don’t see how this could get made – yet stranger things have happened.

Twin Peaks?
The game (demo) follows the TV series, and at first, I was worried that this would be it. However, already in the hospital, there are expanded scenes, and extra characters to talk to and even items to pick up for later use. What is funny here is that all the extras have avatars from famous cult movies. One of the hospital workers is the nurse from An American Werewolf in London.

The demo isn’t long at all – actually, the hospital will be the majority of the game. Still, I think they managed to reach a nice level of game interaction, and story additions to the grand narrative that is Twin Peaks. It’s a nice thin slice of cherry pie of what could become real one day.

The beginning of a great friendship

I do hope they continue on this note if they ever complete the game. The atmosphere is great, and I think they nailed that specific dreamy melancholic feeling that Twin Peaks is known for. Just walking around as Agent Cooper and interacting with things in this world is a delight.

Visuals & gamplay
On gameplay and general production, it sure feels like a PS1 title. It has very charming visuals, and just navigating the inventory and world by itself feels very survival horror of old. I highly recommend playing it with a controller as it even uses tank control. I played the demo with a PS4 controller, and I had no issues at all. The only thing I would give the game minus points for is the voices. They use the voices from the TV show, and that is all well and good, but the quality at certain times is abysmal. I noticed Harry’s voice got cut in one scene, and I had a hard time making out what Dr. Jacoby said. It’s like the voice lines were cleaned up from background sounds (like music) through some kind of program, but it didn’t do that great of a job – making the lines sound artificial and garbled at times. It’s not a huge problem, and it’s not a consistent thing throughout the demo, but I can easily see this becoming an annoyance in the full game.

The second victim of “Bob”

Hype or not?
Twin Peaks: Into the Night impressed me since it both captured the mood of the TV series and the gameplay style of old-school survival horrors. If this ever gets made into a full-blooded title, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it for one second – day one purchase, baby! However, I’m not too optimistic about the future since mentioned; the licensing issues, and well, the game would have to be fairly big to cover the whole show. That is a lot of work for a bunch of enthusiast developers, especially if it’s something that can’t generate money. I will not write it off though. I want this to happen, but I wouldn’t board the hype train just yet. I do want to wish the developer team Blue Rose Team good luck! You have captured magic here.

Thanks for reading.

HansDampf

Arcane
088pi5e.png

035ki2y.png

0450fqt.png

01bgetq.png

Leaning in System Shock:
WtKu85Wl.jpg

06iwfc2.png

The plot thickens.

07qndy6.png

Yeah, but I've learned this lesson on the reactor level. Now I always have the Magpulse ready and my finger on the shield button.

09kbf64.png

:hmmm:

10xbias.png

C4hgRdz.gif

11yndn2.png

5512jc.jpg

I own the restoration bay.

12m6f38.png

That's mean.

1428il4.png

You have to go through so much to activate this bridge. But you could also skip everything and just fly up the wall with the jet boots. I didn't do it because I wanted to see the level, but taking notes for the 7-hour-challenge.

15m6c13.png

16jzc4z.png

:abyssgazer:

1772d9f.png

Time for a reflex + berserk combo.

18pwd4p.png

19u6d6w.png

2019iok.png

:shredder:

21zodck.png

?
Shooting the SHODAN thing with wobbly controls, no sound effects, no feedback, and suddenly you are in the ending cutscene. The cyberspace parts feel so unfinished.

220rfjh.png

My plan was to play the remake next. I didn't want to play it without having played the original first. But I'm more interested in the "3333" challenge, just maybe not right now. My total time was 14 hours. 7 seems doable

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Time to dispatch some Inner Sphere freeborns.

ScreenShot0006.jpg

Nice maps.

ScreenShot0008.jpg

The most fearsome shadow of all.

ScreenShot0010.jpg

Love some environment you can explore.

ScreenShot0012.jpg

Hovercrafts can't touch it.

ScreenShot0017.jpg

See that robot ? You can fire missiles at it.

ScreenShot0018.jpg

Warms my cold clanner heart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom