Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Heh, another guy who didn't know Defiance is not supposed to be played but watched on youtube to get closure on the story. Poor fool.

I laffed at your first post on it that was like 'bros this is totes better than previous games much incline', only shaking my head that you don't yet know what's coming to you.

Memories of the camera and the countless stone statues are still giving me PTSD.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Legacy of Kain - Defiance (PS2). Somehow (had to force myself to finish the game). :roll:

Jebus fucking Christ, who developed, tested and released this game in such sorry state? It's totally unplayable, decline and a disgrace to Kain's / Raziel's name.

:decline:

Problems:

1) Camera is fucking abysmal

Worst thing is a sudden change of "perspective" during "area transition". You pressed "up" to cross the barrier in spectral realm, camera switches to show the character in its full 3d glory, "up" now means: "go back through the barrier". If you keep "up" pressed, character will keep "entering the door" over and over. Everyone involved in developing sth so retarded should be killed. Painfully.

But wait! There's more!

- Moving "in the direction of the camera", so you can't see shit (where do you go, enemies, etc.)

01_1_16siwk.jpg

02_1_1rbfg8.jpg

33_1_1t6eub.jpg

- "Cinematic camera" blocking your view in combat

03_1_169is5.jpg

04_1_1ypezd.jpg

- Jumping puzzles in a 3D environment with "moving" camera. Whoever designed this is a total retard. And testers should've an-heroed bofore accepting shit like this.

05_1_1qai8g.jpg

06_1_1lccvp.jpg

- Same as before, only... :drumroll: TIMED!

07_1_1m2d9p.jpg

:rage:

If not for quicksaves, I would've bailed. Too old for this (retarded) shit.

2) Combat is dogshit

- Same button for "attack" and "interact". Effect - Raziel casually leaving the room mid-combat:

11_1_120fi7.jpg

And going back:

12_1_19pcv7.jpg

With long-ass "look at our majestic animation!!1!" animation each time, OFC.

Or using Earth Reaver for fuck knows what during boss battle:

13_1_1lufwj.jpg

- Aerial enemies who can be hit only mid-air in a 3D game with fixed / moving camera. Effect: jump, attack - sorry, you're too far away from the enemy. Repeat 10 times to score one hit.

14_1_1anexm.jpg

Enemies getting stuck in the walls:

15_1_1bif44.jpg

"But look at all these great 3d ornaments, mang!!!". Fuck off.

- Fighting 4-6 enemies at once, with most of them being off-screen, so you can't see them + can only target one enemy + can't switch targets (AFAIK). At the same time, all enemies can easily target YOU.

16_1_17cf2g.jpg

34_1_1odern.jpg

35_1_1v7i7f.jpg

It's not even that hard (you have plenty of HP), just shit.

- You have to fight ~87 animated statues, which is fucking boring as fuck.

17_1_1ejf6b.jpg

18_1_1czdlt.jpg

- Shit that's very easy to miss. Here's ONE and only "well", in the entire game, which can be jumped into. Which took me 3 tries actually, since objects collision is fucked. So most fags would just assume, that's just an ornament, and they can't jump in there.

19_1_1r5dev.jpg

3) Overall retardation

- So much post-processing, that you can't see if enemies in the "spectral" world are still alive (solid) or devourable (transparent):

20_1_1jjdk0.jpg

- No ways of healing at some moments. Esp. before boss battles. In previous games getting souls wasn't ever a problem:

21_1_1gkfit.jpg

- Shitty collision detection. Esp. visible when fighting big demons - you can hit their legs 1 in every 3 hits at best.

22_1_17qipi.jpg

- Long fucking corridors that you have to just TRAVERSE:

23_1_1m4fz1.jpg

"Fuck year, just look at our 3D CORRIDORS, mang!!! Look how LONG they are!!1!".

- Retarded boss fight against Yanos. He blocks all your attacks, the only way of hitting him is right after his telekinetic attack, which pushes you away from him. So in like 90% cases, he will be back on his feet and blocing your attack when you reach him. Best way of dealing with him? Stay near the wall, so you can reach him ASAP.

24_1_1ebffn.jpg

FAQs suggest disabling the aim-lock, since avoiding his attacks is much easier without it. I can confirm this - I was unable to dodge his attacks even once (despite multiple tries) when locked onto him. But when I disabled the aim-lock, I suddenly started dodging. Whoever designed this should be aborted. Also his partner, his parents, his fucking dog. Down with their heads I say!

- Eight (?) reaver shrines, looking exactly the same. Everyone loves 3D labyrinths, yes? Well... no.

- Eight (?) reavers + 4 Kain's reavers, all of them totally useless. You need sword #4 to open shrine #5, where you get sword #5. Repeat 12 (?) times. But hey - more shit = better? Well... no.

Final verdict on the series:

Blood Omen 1 :5/5: - epic gothic 2d masterpiece (play the PC version with Verok's patch)
Soul Reaver 1 :5/5: - interesting and well made 3d metroidvania (play either the DC version (higher res, analog controls) or the PC version with Wrace's SR1 Patch (widescreen, subtitles))
Soul Reaver 2 :2/5: - shit, skip
Blood Omen 2 :3/5: - meh, but playable
Soul Reaver - Defiance :0/5: - total intellectual holocaust, avoid at all costs

So, "Xbox killed PC gaming?". No, it was dead long bofore Xbawks arrived.

:obviously:

And now for sth not so different:

background010000_11eimu.jpg

By which I mean:

:decline:
HL2 isn't complete Decline, but it is a step back from the glory of HL and its awesome expansion - Opposing Force.

Sunri

Liturgist
Vi Von Zulu
IhmiRAa.png

7YrEsD1.png

0B9suCd.png

pvZIGcn.png

nFYUff3.png
Stats, feats, gear, etc?
The only gear that matter is this sword, it had funny interaction with balor when i hit him they would trigger some counter effect both on balor and sword user animations would speed up and game would freeze after a few seconds tbh this game is still a mess even after all those years both in terms of bugs and overall design

dWKcbYy.png

jCc0TTs.png

SvTXIeq.png

ptGwgxH.png

u3cG2bx.png

k43d1HX.png

SVev4tr.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Vi Von Zulu
IhmiRAa.png

7YrEsD1.png

0B9suCd.png

pvZIGcn.png

nFYUff3.png
Stats, feats, gear, etc?
The only gear that matter is this sword, it had funny interaction with balor when i hit him they would trigger some counter effect both on balor and sword user animations would speed up and game would freeze after a few seconds tbh this game is still a mess even after all those years both in terms of bugs and overall design

dWKcbYy.png

jCc0TTs.png

SvTXIeq.png

ptGwgxH.png

u3cG2bx.png

k43d1HX.png

SVev4tr.png
You should install Temple+.
Fixes a lot of bugs and even adds some more feats/spells/weapon enchantments.
I never use either Answerer or Scather. Crazy powerful, but being able to ALWAYS hit your enemy? And FREE attacks of opportunity? Combine with Power Attack for maximum damage. It's just broken...
What you encountered was the infamous Scather attack of opportunity bug triggered by the fire damage you take by hitting the Balor in melee.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
Almost missed the release of Turbo Overkill. I'm not too fond of the pixelated graphics but the trippy design is great. Also good difficulty so far, doesn't make me snooze away, but I'm not finished yet and can't say if it holds up.
Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-11-16-36-01-571.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-22-43-33-044.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-22-43-35-510.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-11-16-59-01-290.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-23-03-43-534.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-23-03-44-332.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-23-09-19-715.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-23-12-15-750.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-13-23-21-08-881.png

Turbo-Overkill-2023-11-11-16-21-13-149.png

ferratilis

Magister
Fucking mages and their shenanigans.
1BB822D6D0B637E9A643686036A5A18C2DA46284

Going undercover with the Hammerites.
554C1C3E386A6EB8FD4CFD5ED2AC8575C257518F

btw I noticed all of my screenshots uploaded to postimages.org over the years were deleted for some reason. I heard some people had a similar experience with imgur. Cunts. From now on, I'm only uploading screenshots from my Steam profile, those can only be deleted by the user, unless the 18GB limit is reached, which is quite hard.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fucking mages and their shenanigans.
1BB822D6D0B637E9A643686036A5A18C2DA46284

Going undercover with the Hammerites.
554C1C3E386A6EB8FD4CFD5ED2AC8575C257518F

btw I noticed all of my screenshots uploaded to postimages.org over the years were deleted for some reason. I heard some people had a similar experience with imgur. Cunts. From now on, I'm only uploading screenshots from my Steam profile, those can only be deleted by the user, unless the 18GB limit is reached, which is quite hard.
Did you like "Song of the Caverns"?
One of the best Thief levels, without a doubt.

ferratilis

Magister
Yes, definitely one of the best. My favorite missions are the Sword, Assassins, and Song of the Caverns. Assassins wouldn't be many players' choice, probably, but I like it because it's the most classic thieving mission in the game. No supernatural stuff, no weirdness, just a classic follow them and case the joint type deal. Also, the mansion is pretty cool. The Sword is obvious because of how weird and unique it is. And Song because of the well designed map, maybe the best in the game. Tbh I'm not that picky when it comes to Thief levels, even the Thieves Guild is ok, to some extent.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yes, definitely one of the best. My favorite missions are the Sword, Assassins, and Song of the Caverns. Assassins wouldn't be many players' choice, probably, but I like it because it's the most classic thieving mission in the game. No supernatural stuff, no weirdness, just a classic follow them and case the joint type deal. Also, the mansion is pretty cool. The Sword is obvious because of how weird and unique it is. And Song because of the well designed map, maybe the best in the game. Tbh I'm not that picky when it comes to Thief levels, even the Thieves Guild is ok, to some extent.
Downwind Thieves Guild gets a lot of hate, but I've learned to appreciate it after so many playthroughs. It's just that the labyrinthine structure of it puts many people off.
Assassins is another classic. Or how Garrett trolls Ramirez by stealing all his shit after he tried to have Garrett killed...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
DNMP7.png

Enjoying the vibes.
DNMP11.png

What's the deal with New York and sewer crocodiles?
c6Hunting4Screenshot20.png

Being able to save the babes was honestly the only thing that Duke 3D lacked.
DNMP12.png

This boss and the one from the first chapter are pretty cool, other chapter bosses are a bit disappointing however.
DNMP13.png

I like this weapon better compared to the anti-glopp gun. While being able to "devolve" mutants back to their animal forms is cool it's not as practical as shotgun or rifle due to the abundance of those glopp puddles that mutate them back.
DNMP15.png

These Nuke tokens can be very tricky to find sometimes. Especially if you're trying to do so without walkthrough like me.
The reward for finding all ten is pretty good.
DNMP14.png

I do admit however that i failed to resist the urge to check walkthrough after failing to find all 10 twice.
DNMP16.png

This chapter's boss was meh.
DNMP17.png

I kinda miss the town locales of the first two chapters.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I like this weapon better compared to the anti-glopp gun. While being able to "devolve" mutants back to their animal forms is cool it's not as practical as shotgun or rifle due to the abundance of those glopp puddles that mutate them back.

You know you can stomp them dead, right? :M

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Yes, but gunning them down or applying a flying kick to their face is simply more efficient.

Blonsky

Prophet
Time for man in skirts to take over the galaxy.
MpHYeID.jpg

When the enemies look better then your party.
NYCDGQg.jpg

Bugs in the AI are actually mental problems.
vJGn09h.jpg

Am i interrupting you guys in something
GrgiVID.jpg

Trash...
sta4ty7.jpg

0VeOFBr.jpg

Eisen

Learned
Time for man in skirts to take over the galaxy.
MpHYeID.jpg

When the enemies look better then your party.
NYCDGQg.jpg

Bugs in the AI are actually mental problems.
vJGn09h.jpg

Am i interrupting you guys in something
GrgiVID.jpg

Trash...
sta4ty7.jpg

0VeOFBr.jpg
Game names?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom