Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
What was the name of that other game built in the same engine as TNP? I remember it was fantasy oriented and you could chose classes or something.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At least you've tried.

:salute:

Back to business.

GDR8pXZ.jpg

YfZmAWG.jpg

:lol:

YFYNqaA.jpg

:yeah:

3bN9fS0.jpg

All those gold just lying around. And you can't take it.

x3Q0eiO.jpg

He is everywhere!

Pretty neat shootan.

I liked environmental interactivity (you could weaponize pretty much everything not nailed down by throwing it in someone's face and destroy much of everything else), diversity of items and weapons (along with damage types), built-in encyclopaedia, splatter, usable vehicles, free-roaming and, first and foremost enemy AI and capabilities - intelligent enemies could do pretty much everything you could - pick up and use items (including weapons and medkits), operate vehicles, climb ladders and so on, while also behaving in pretty diverse manner.
Also, stuff like lava (molten metal, actually, IIRC) instakilled you instead of making you go "AAAH! AAAH!" for better part of a minute.

What I didn't like? That most muties had green blood (ok. with "zombies", but not the rest) and that mutated ratfolk were effectively bullet-proof (wat).

Story&setting were also rather pretextual, but it was Q2's contemporary (and far superior game), so can't complain about that.

I never beat it back when it was new, because I could never find an alternate route to the mall for some reason and got stuck on laser bars. I only finished it much much later.

I played only demo a couple of times, and since then almost forgot about it. But some old review catch my interest and there it was, my first playthrough. I underestimated TNP, and thought of it as a clone of (Re)Loaded, with straight action shooting and not much else. But in the full version you have a full briefing, gather your equipment, and learn to use your built-in encyclopedia and map. The shooting parts feel very good, when someone eats the lead it usually ends with some agony scene, droping in their own blood. Yes, the rats can be killed only by a crossbow thing. They are resistant and should be killed ASAP. The arsenal is one of the best IMO, in later parts you can really start a carnage with all those exploding babies. The additional grenades/stealth/shield items helped me with that instakilling bosses (especially the mechanic ones). Vehicles are nice addition, cleaning the barracks with it was awesome. Not to mention the stationary cannons, which after being disposed of their previous user gave you the edge. And last, but not least there are secrets. Parts of the locations where you can hoard some loot for later use, or a shortcut to next level.

That was the most confusing part at the beginning. You can move through sewers, trains and a truck. With the trains you need to be very specific, if you want to go for level x. Station A,B,C - it all makes the diffrence. Pushing some buttons in one location can open another, so you'll need sometimes to bactrack. Respawning of enemies wasn't horrible, besides they always have some ammo and medipacks so it was part of the game. There are some easy puzzles, like turning off the laser beams, and there is a turning on a nuclear plant puzzle. Putting all those coloured rods in the right slots was tiresome.

I liked the diffrent factions. It gave me a "Escape from NY/L.A" feeling. Prisoners, Yuppies, Mutants and all that scum of the earth waiting to kill you... Ending was nicely done. Another plus for Raven to include bad/good one depending on the player.

DraQ

Arcane
Yes, the rats can be killed only by a crossbow thing.
Crossbow works, but the best weapons are plasma, laser and incendiaries (flamethrower, molotovs).

They are resistant and should be killed ASAP.
I once had a rat dude jump in a hovercraft thing I left lying around - armed with plasma cannon.

Was much ouch.

Someone should mod it, BTW, so that mechs get invulnerability to bullets instead.
Would be a fun game to mod actually.

The arsenal is one of the best IMO, in later parts you can really start a carnage with all those exploding babies.
Rocket launcher was p. godlike.

Oh and BTW, ever tried leaving plasma cannon on warm-up?
:troll:

There are some easy puzzles, like turning off the laser beams, and there is a turning on a nuclear plant puzzle. Putting all those coloured rods in the right slots was tiresome.
I only had a problem with that easy one.
:martini:
Rods were kind of obvious, except you had to figure out how to move them around.
And read shit.
I liked the diffrent factions. It gave me a "Escape from NY/L.A" feeling. Prisoners, Yuppies, Mutants and all that scum of the earth waiting to kill you... Ending was nicely done. Another plus for Raven to include bad/good one depending on the player.
I don't think I've ever figured out how to get different endings, though.
:gumpyhead:
There is also that bug at the beginning where one of the Martech dudes at the beginning tends to fall onto the tracks triggering hostility on their part and much FFFUUUU- on yours.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
NWN modules.

Saleron's Gambit is a fun low level/low treasure series of mods. In the last chapter my druid took a trip from Faerun to Sigil.

SIgil.jpg

The Hive looks quite good (for NWN's engine) pity that this part is quite sort.

God that looks great.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Mageslayer
Can't get it to work without butchered palette, though.

Works without the dreaded rainbow colours on my W7 machine after setting compatibility of mageslay.exe to Windows 98/ ME and temporarily killing explorer with a .bat file:

REM -[ScriptName].bat
taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
mageslay.exe
start explorer.exe

Edit: Apparently I also have to lower the desktop resolution to 800x600 and use 16bit colours.

Last edited:
Yes, the rats can be killed only by a crossbow thing.
Crossbow works, but the best weapons are plasma, laser and incendiaries (flamethrower, molotovs).

They are resistant and should be killed ASAP.
I once had a rat dude jump in a hovercraft thing I left lying around - armed with plasma cannon.

Was much ouch.

Someone should mod it, BTW, so that mechs get invulnerability to bullets instead.
Would be a fun game to mod actually.

The arsenal is one of the best IMO, in later parts you can really start a carnage with all those exploding babies.
Rocket launcher was p. godlike.

Oh and BTW, ever tried leaving plasma cannon on warm-up?

There are some easy puzzles, like turning off the laser beams, and there is a turning on a nuclear plant puzzle. Putting all those coloured rods in the right slots was tiresome.
I only had a problem with that easy one.
:martini:
Rods were kind of obvious, except you had to figure out how to move them around.
And read shit.
I don't think I've ever figured out how to get different endings, though.
:gumpyhead:
There is also that bug at the beginning where one of the Martech dudes at the beginning tends to fall onto the tracks triggering hostility on their part and much FFFUUUU- on yours.

The rods were painful due to the deadly fumes and diffrent roads to take them at exact place. Memorizing the paths was the key to sucess. And after putting them you had to find the computer to start everything. The best part was if you did it wrong you had a nice mushroom smoke ending. The yellow/orange rods were confusing for me at the first time, I had to put more gamma to put them properly.
Didn't tried plasma cannon, it could be interesting :lol:. The bug you mentioned never happened in my game. Thankfully.

As for the ending

You'll see a two computers near the main elevator. Use the left computer two times to get the good ending, or the the right computer once to get the bad ending. It's basically DE:HR ending type. I liked the "bad" ending.

It's good to be bad :smug:

Mageslayer
Can't get it to work without butchered palette, though.

Works without the dreaded rainbow colours on my W7 machine after setting compatibility of mageslay.exe to Windows 98/ ME and temporarily killing explorer with a .bat file:

REM -[ScriptName].bat
taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
mageslay.exe
start explorer.exe

Killing explorer.exe works fine for the first Diablo too. Otherwise you'll get a rainbow parade.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Today I realised I haven't played any Ultima game apart from UW1, so I might as well familiarise myself with the series.

vn0BqK.jpg

Ks6B3w.jpg

DjWxwl.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
Ah, that explains why I didn't recognize it. I haven't played it in years. And never will.

What's the problem with it?

From the thief's missions thread:

Calendra's Legacy: I know opinions are split on this one, and I fall in the "hate it" group. It's very easy to understand why. When the mission objectives are "Don't kill anyone", "Don't get spotted" and "Go to this location and take (or was it deliver? Can't remember) this item that takes you across 2/3 of the map in 10 minutes or fail the mission", you begin to wonder if you're playing Thief or a GTA game. It's hard, but it's doable, but compared to the other problems this mission has, the "time limit" part of it becomes almost irrelevant. The worst one is that your equipment is stashed in your room, but if you go there to grab it you trigger an event that spawns a metric fuckton of Undead all over the city. And here's where it all falls apart.

If you follow your Objectives list, it is logical to assume that after having completed the time objective mission, you try to complete the other objectives and/or go get your stuff to explore the city. Except if you do that, the city slides into the tenth level of hell, which makes it really hard to complete the mission...unless you explored the city thoroughly before triggering the Undead spawn...which is hard to do without your stuff in your room...but by going there you trigger the spawn of Undead! See where I'm going with this?

Then there's the issue the author has with his female characters, which all act identical, i.e. like sluts, and the fact that for mindless Undead, they sure are clever enough to hang around in brightly-lit areas and in numbers (theremore making them smarter than all of the City Guard) but I think people get my point by now.

Note that all of the above only applies to the second mission. The first mission is really good, but considering how big a download Calendra's Legacy is, I can't recommend anyone getting the FM just for the first mission.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It's definitely not as good as Calendra's Cistern. Still, the last mission is awesome and the first features a very cool crypt area.
If you go and get Kharras Drahg asap in Midnight in Murkbell you'll have an easier time since it conceals you more and can slay the undead. You can do that as soon as the mission starts, and if you know your way around you'll arrive at the cathedral with plenty of time to drop the Cylix. Now that you have done that and have Kharras Drahg, you're free to explore the district before triggering the undead. I also hated that mission at first but now that I really know it I find it more enjoyable, but it's the weakest of the bunch by far despite its great cityscape.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's definitely not as good as Calendra's Cistern. Still, the last mission is awesome and the first features a very cool crypt area.
If you go and get Kharras Drahg asap in Midnight in Murkbell you'll have an easier time since it conceals you more and can slay the undead. You can do that as soon as the mission starts, and if you know your way around you'll arrive at the cathedral with plenty of time to drop the Cylix. Now that you have done that and have Kharras Drahg, you're free to explore the district before triggering the undead. I also hated that mission at first but now that I really know it I find it more enjoyable, but it's the weakest of the bunch by far despite its great cityscape.

I recently found a list of "things to do" in the mission, among them was dropping a mine down the chute instead of the Cylix (if you could find it).

A lot of time and effort went into the Murkbell mission, and yet it trips over itself on such a simple matter. At least it didn't screw itself over as badly as King's Story, the FM that took 4 years to complete, and whose architecture is based on a real-life castle, but the author decided to take design lessons from modern-day FPS games. (Failing the mission by exploring your surroundings, having a useless in-game map, having the "path" through the level being so much on rails that there's no room for deviation/improvization, etc.)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Actually, I had to resort to backstabbing when I fought Murod.
When that faggot changed the form, he could take out anyone from the party with 3-4 hits (even Imp with Rosalind weren't fast enough to heal everyone), and I had to reload once or twice to kill him without casualties.
Also, there was a hilarious AI bug when Murod targeted Flece and pursued her, ignoring the fact that Jekhar stomped his ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom