Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

A user named cat

DQLDsnA.gif

Gonna have to play Perihelion more. Never even heard of it before tonight but appears to be a cyberpunk version of a Goldbox game with awesome music and style. Hope it doesn't disappoint. First time digging through Amiga library so mostly just testing a ton of preinstalled games from Killer Gorilla.

SMvbzFg.png

jmtE3rp.png

IPQtb8v.png

v69lvDv.png

Xn62or8.png

utRaJaT.png

s6uspNr.png

SxAemxi.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

:x

But really, do grab it as soon as you can. It's awesome and feels like an overall improvement over D2. Not only it's Renaissance + Resurrection (urgh, what's up with these 3 titles being horribly confusing?) combined and insanely more polished, many things have been reworked for good (battle maps are much better now) and it now comes with a great map editor.
But I like Renaissance. For some reason my cock is hard when I see how atrocious the game is.
Maybe I should grab Resurrection before getting Reincarnation... :lol:

DraQ

Arcane
And instead of killing Hitler, they went back in time and produced a shitty FMV-ridden FPS thing with regenerating health. One starts thinking about their priorities.
Clearly popamole is going to get so bad in the future that it will make Hitler look like joke.
:martini:

Behold the incline of Amiga.

QCMB5v6.jpg

3uFT7Ku.png

D9XYj2I.png

LZ7mRx6.png

BEBscc6.png

ELTEJTu.png
Why scale them up so much?
:|
Doesn't really do them a service and I knew pixels were square without it.
Currently admiring them in codex's WYSIWYG editor where they aren't do hideously stretched.

A user named cat

Why scale them up so much?
:|
Doesn't really do them a service and I knew pixels were square without it.
Currently admiring them in codex's WYSIWYG editor where they aren't do hideously stretched.
What are you DraQing about? Nothing is stretched and the pixels are unfiltered beauty. That's proper fullscreen for old games on 1080p, original aspect ratio is locked through WinUAE thus making it glorious 1440x1080. Should I play shit in a tiny window in the middle of the screen or set it to something like 640x480 so it upscales into a muddy mess? No thanks.

DraQ

Arcane
What are you DraQing about? Nothing is stretched and the pixels are unfiltered beauty.
At least no insult is added to injury, then.

That's proper fullscreen for old games on 1080p, original aspect ratio is locked through WinUAE thus making it glorious 1440x1080. Should I play shit in a tiny window in the middle of the screen or set it to something like 640x480 so it upscales into a muddy mess? No thanks.
Proper fullscreen for old games (at least for those who do remember it :obviously: ) was usually achieved on a TV which wasn't really built for displaying digital image and thus blurred the pixels a bit resulting in what effectively was a glorious analog antialiasing.

It's a bit like what lets consoletards today play their games in shitty res at laughable details and still not notice.

A user named cat

There were lots of words you could enter into the computer and get humorous results.
Haha, yeah. That was actually the result of typing in "shit".

Proper fullscreen for old games (at least for those who do remember it :obviously: ) was usually achieved on a TV which wasn't really built for displaying digital image and thus blurred the pixels a bit resulting in what effectively was a glorious analog antialiasing.

It's a bit like what lets consoletards today play their games in shitty res at laughable details and still not notice.
I like the crispness of new displays, bilinear filtering can be used though to achieve that TV look but it doesn't look good on LCD screens. Just makes it blurry. I have no experience with an actual Amiga but weren't they incredibly low resolution? Something like 320x256, I think. So not much can be done when playing fullscreen on a 1080p monitor except to autoscale and keep ratio locked otherwise it sits in a small window. WinUAE makes a bit complicated too with its various display and filter settings.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Proper fullscreen for old games (at least for those who do remember it :obviously: ) was usually achieved on a TV

What? You had your PC connected to the TV? Because if not, monitors had a pretty crisp image, there was no "glorious analog antialiasing". And monitors were certainly not phone sized which is about the size those games are on current LCD monitors if you don't scale them.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
:x

But really, do grab it as soon as you can. It's awesome and feels like an overall improvement over D2. Not only it's Renaissance + Resurrection (urgh, what's up with these 3 titles being horribly confusing?) combined and insanely more polished, many things have been reworked for good (battle maps are much better now) and it now comes with a great map editor.
But I like Renaissance. For some reason my cock is hard when I see how atrocious the game is.
Maybe I should grab Resurrection before getting Reincarnation... :lol:

Speaking of Disciples 3. Steam is selling the gold edtion at 75% off.

DraQ

Arcane
Proper fullscreen for old games (at least for those who do remember it :obviously: ) was usually achieved on a TV

What? You had your PC connected to the TV?
I had my c64 connected to a TV.
My friends had their Amigas.

As for my early PCs, their CRTs were much smaller than modern monitors, meaning 640x480 looked pretty fucking sharp and telling the difference between 800x600 and 1024x768 was only possible because the latter ran slower, no jaggies in either case.

Divinity: Original Sin

As for my early PCs, their CRTs were much smaller than modern monitors, meaning 640x480 looked pretty fucking sharp and telling the difference between 800x600 and 1024x768 was only possible because the latter ran slower, no jaggies in either case.

I once had a shitty 14" SVGA Monitor that couldn't handle 1024 x 768, to the point that I almost couldn't read blurred fonts in windows if I set desktop resolution to 800x600, but the VGA and SVGA games looked better than anyone ever managed to achieve with filters nowadays. i remember how jaggy the games looked after I changed my monitor for a better one.

DraQ

Arcane

I once had a shitty 14" SVGA Monitor that couldn't handle 1024 x 768, to the point that I almost couldn't read blurred fonts in windows if I set desktop resolution to 800x600, but the VGA and SVGA games looked better than anyone ever managed to achieve with filters nowadays. i remember how jaggy the games looked after I changed my monitor for a better one.
This. Those games' aesthetics were product of hardware they were meant to run on, it's not like anyone was a pixel fetishist back then.

Fucking hipsters.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Bluriness =/= antialiasing.
Crispness > Bluriness.

Those games' aesthetics were product of hardware they were meant to run on

Shitty blurry monitors were not the standard.

Something like Storm Master would probably have looked blurred antialised on a TV or a shitty monitor, but not a decent monitor.
In fact, when the first LCDs came out everything looked like shit on them because the CRTs at the time were much more crisp.

And really low-resolution games like Neuromancer would have never looked antialised on anything, except maybe a watch.

The problem with having the monitor too big is that it gets the pixels too large, not that it's not blurry.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At least you've tried.

:salute:

Back to business.

GDR8pXZ.jpg

YfZmAWG.jpg

:lol:

YFYNqaA.jpg

:yeah:

3bN9fS0.jpg

All those gold just lying around. And you can't take it.

x3Q0eiO.jpg

He is everywhere!

Pretty neat shootan.

I liked environmental interactivity (you could weaponize pretty much everything not nailed down by throwing it in someone's face and destroy much of everything else), diversity of items and weapons (along with damage types), built-in encyclopaedia, splatter, usable vehicles, free-roaming and, first and foremost enemy AI and capabilities - intelligent enemies could do pretty much everything you could - pick up and use items (including weapons and medkits), operate vehicles, climb ladders and so on, while also behaving in pretty diverse manner.
Also, stuff like lava (molten metal, actually, IIRC) instakilled you instead of making you go "AAAH! AAAH!" for better part of a minute.

What I didn't like? That most muties had green blood (ok. with "zombies", but not the rest) and that mutated ratfolk were effectively bullet-proof (wat).

Story&setting were also rather pretextual, but it was Q2's contemporary (and far superior game), so can't complain about that.

I never beat it back when it was new, because I could never find an alternate route to the mall for some reason and got stuck on laser bars. I only finished it much much later.

Also really liked that game, but it had some weird bug which prevented further progress, on a level with a nuclear reactor.

Turjan

Arcane
Bluriness =/= antialiasing.
Crispness > Bluriness.

Those games' aesthetics were product of hardware they were meant to run on

Shitty blurry monitors were not the standard.

Also, most CRTs aged badly and became blurry after two to three years. The end of most of my CRTs didn't come by failure, but because they became a strain on the eyes.

I remember that had to get used to LCD aesthetics when I switched though. It took about a week until my brain got used to it and removed the weird movement artifacts from vision. The brain is an amazing thing.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Dreamfall was pretty meh. I don't actually remember a lot from the plot anymore, thank god, except it was crap and was left full of unanswered questions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom