Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw fighting Sword Saint again is unfolding about the same way as it did back in the spring. Badly. About 90 mins in, finally got to his last phase. Was zapped instantly.

One set difficulty is just stupid. Sword Saint, Demon and Owl Father belong in a higher diff. mode. When I beat the final boss back in the spring after 6 hours I didn't feel any elation. I was just exhausted and pissed off at FromSoft for being retarded. Other than that the game is fucking amazing.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No but they need complexity to the mechanics, variety of techniques and high skill ceiling to master. None of which Sekiro properly provides - specially comparing to the games I mentioned above
Would you say that AI aggressiveness is one of the core components of a great combat system and action game?

Well to be exact, that core component is enemy design from which aggressiveness is one aspect.
And the ideal level of agressiveness very much depends on your combat system and general principle behind that specific enemy.

What happens when you get more satisfaction from any encounter in Sekiro because its animations, sound, mechanics and AI are so tight, than from a game like DMC where the AI is just standing there waiting to be juggled in the air for sick x20000 combos?

>Sekiro
>tigher mechanics and more detailed animations than DMC

serveimage

You need better timing to perform the stuff in this clip than anything in Sekiro or any other From game:

Also don't fall for meme arguments of /v/ brainlets like "DMC's only depth is juggling derp".
The only only enemies you can juggled indefinitely are the fodder, i.e. enemies whose danger is their numbers. All mid-tier enemies can't be juggled forever and have attacks to fuck up your air combos.
The only enemies that are not very agressive are also the fodder, who by the way are more agressive the higher their numbers. So while 1 of those enemies migth be shy, the give him a couple of mates and they will become a threat.
Finally staying the air is really not easy.
Like all great action games, you can become ridiculously OP and do some shit you thought impossible but that only comes with complete mastery of the game. Which is itself a very good reward for doing so.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I actually don't trash games like DMC anymore, learned to respect them, in a way.

But I think the main reason Demon's Souls skyrocketed in popularity was because it was more grounded and realistic, as opposed to the gamey, flashy shenanigans people were used to in spectacle fighters. You can see the swings, hear the swooshes, feel the weight and for many people this is much more appealing than the 30-seconds-juggling-in-the-air carnival.

I'd have never gotten into action gaymz without Souls-likes, even though I can only go so far. Stuff like DMC5 is already way too over-the-top for me.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I fucking looooved metal gear revengeance! Actually was my favorite action combat game until souls games then Sekiro came out, only complaint is it's too easy but it's still a lot of fun. I played ninja gaiden black on one of the xbox's when I was REALLY young kid and I liked it a lot but I never got really far and I don't remember much :( Too bad those games aren't on PC.

DJOGamer PT Whenever I watch DMC combat videos, the combat looks really similar to games like those batman games or those newer lotr 'shadow of mordor' type games where basically you spam "xxxxxxxxxxx" and the character just bounces around doing all the combat for you. Is that how it actually is or was my assumption wrong?

Also temped to pick up Nioh since it's on sale...

Sentinel

Arcane
I fucking looooved metal gear revengeance! Actually was my favorite action combat game until souls games then Sekiro came out, only complaint is it's too easy but it's still a lot of fun. I played ninja gaiden black on one of the xbox's when I was REALLY young kid and I liked it a lot but I never got really far and I don't remember much :( Too bad those games aren't on PC.

DJOGamer PT Whenever I watch DMC combat videos, the combat looks really similar to games like those batman games or those newer lotr 'shadow of mordor' type games where basically you spam "xxxxxxxxxxx" and the character just bounces around doing all the combat for you. Is that how it actually is or was my assumption wrong?

Also temped to pick up Nioh since it's on sale...
The "bouncing around" that happens automatically in batman is done manually in DMC. That's one key difference.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I actually don't trash games like DMC anymore, learned to respect them, in a way.

But I think the main reason Demon's Souls skyrocketed in popularity was because it was more grounded and realistic, as opposed to the gamey, flashy shenanigans people were used to in spectacle fighters. You can see the swings, hear the swooshes, feel the weight and for many people this is much more appealing than the 30-seconds-juggling-in-the-air carnival.

I'd have never gotten into action gaymz without Souls-likes, even though I can only go so far. Stuff like DMC5 is already way too over-the-top for me.

I don't think slower, more grounded games are worse because they are less gamey.
Those types of systems can obviously be great as well and have their place (Nioh, Severance and For Honor are games of that type).
I simply believe it's a fallacy to think realism=quality.
Videogames are not simulation but an exageration reality.
So even in "grounded" games, there must a prevalent element of abstraction or simplification or hyperbole, for the sake of having some good design - obviously actual simulators work the other way around.

As for too over the top, let me give you an example.
Do you also don't play shooters like Doom and Dusk because you think they are too over the top compared to Rainbow 6 and SWAT?

I played ninja gaiden black on one of the xbox's when I was REALLY young kid and I liked it a lot but I never got really far and I don't remember much :( Too bad those games aren't on PC.

There's something called emulators though...
If you want to try Ninja Gaiden 1, download the PS3 emulator - RPCS3 - and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
As a warning, after some deaths the game will asks you if want to abandon the ninja way, select no otherwise the game will make fun of you and send you to easy mode (which is called Ninja Dog).
After you complete the game is normal you unlock hard mode, then very hard then ninja master - NG doesn't fuck around and NG2 is even worse.

It's your assumption.
You can't do any moves in DMC by mashing a button. You have to do everything manually.

No combat in DMC isn't anything like those popamole games, and if you loved Metal Gear Revengeance you should also love DMC.

Sentinel

Arcane

No combat in DMC isn't anything like those popamole games, and if you loved Metal Gear Revengeance you should also love DMC.
That's not true at all. MGRR is, like Sekiro, very parry focused. DMC isn't. I really like MGRR but DMC is boring as fuck in comparison.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
based on the vids i've seen, dmc looks like a masher

But Sekiro doesn't....

but FUCK IT, wahtever I don't have time for games anyway I have like >> 100 eps of BARUTO to watch

The only good stuff in naruto was part 1 - specially the Zabuza arc. After it went to shit faster than you can say Dragon Ball Z.
Boruto, unsurpisingly, is even more shit than Naruto

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Only" needed 3 hours on Saint Isshin this time around. Shit is too hard, too long, too autistic. I actually felt the pigment cells leaving my hair in droves.

What's next, a 10-phase boss who's gradually splitting into more copies, creating a 20 strong gank squad in the last phase? I'm sure Happy Hob would waltz through this without being hit but what about all the poor peasants FromSoft? Has anyone thought about the peasants?

Just take a break when a fight starts pissing you off, you might just do it on first time when you come back. Sword Saint does take longer to memorize due to all the different phases, for me the second phase with the spear was most annoying. But now I love that fight too.

Ash

Arcane
Sekiro is such an overrated piece. The boss fights, and some of the minibosses, are cool, but it's like people forget about how much work has been put into making mediocre everything else. The mobs are far less of a threat during blind exploration than any other From games because they just can't deal with your character being a human monkey. The stealth is a useless tacked on feature whose only purpose is to remove a bar of health from a miniboss (you'd have to really, really be terrifyingly bad at video games to find value in stealth killing mobs, such a waste of time. You aggro the miniboss? who cares, just fly around like a monkey to lose aggro then you can come back to get that bar down). The mechanic is so simplistic and boring they might as well have made those minibosses with one less health bar from the start and removed the stealth mechanic. What little depth the combat system has is also overturned by how nothing really matters against non-bosses besides just mashing that button hard. Itemization is.. ehhh. Map variety.. well the game makes you go through some places too many times (hi Ashina Castle). When the game fails in design it's more infuriating than any other from title (demon of hatred.. fuck this garbage). The die twice gimmick so marketed before release turned out to be such a dud (older clips showed it of use on bosses in a more tactical manner than just winning back a life like drinking a potion).

"number one action game" I dunno man, I envision action titles to be more entertaining in between finding bosses.
Replay value is nil besides finding the Shura boss fight, thankfully running through the game again is rather quick because it's so devoid of real content.

I'm deeply understanding why people hate the From cult in general even more from how Sekiro is being elevated into the stratosphere despite being such a flawed title. Moments of brillances overshadowed by a general vibe of meh. If you're going to do a boss rush type of game (ie a game where the only good content is fighting a unique creature) do it properly and don't even bother to include levels in your game, like what Cuphead did (cuphead is mostly boss fights with just a very few segments of traditional run&gun).

Shit...I should've came to the codex first before I bought this game. I should know better than to trust any modern game dev with a blind buy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I simply believe it's a fallacy to think realism=quality.

I didn't say anything close to that. I only said many people prefer FromSoft's more realistic style. And for many, like me, it's the only style of action games they can bear to play.

Do you also don't play shooters like Doom and Dusk because you think they are too over the top compared to Rainbow 6 and SWAT?

Well yeah, actually. The older I am the more repulsed I'm by flashy, silly, gaudy gameplay or art style and the more attracted I am by everything as realistic as possible.

It's gotten to the point I don't give a shit about gud gaemplay anymore if it's packaged with anime or Nintendo or any other cartoony art style and conversely I can forgive a mediocre gameplay if the vibe is grounded - that's why I love RDR2 for instance.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom