Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Matador, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Tools are just a side mechanic in Sekiro, if there were similar problems with swordfighting, they would cripple the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    An increased spirit emblem cap would make many boss fights a joke due to how strong tools can be in the right situation. 40-50 emblems would completely ruin bosses like Guardian Ape, Corrupted Monk, Owl, Demon of Hatred, and Isshin.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Squid Savant

Squid
    That's why my initial reaction to increasing the cap on them was "maybe not" or just by a little bit. Like I was saying, the Mortal Blade art does a fuck ton of damage regardless whether the enemy is alive or an undead centipede parasite host. That alone would be busted to have a few more full power hits from.

Absolutely and From was smart to focus their attention on what was necessary to the main gameplay instead of making the tools absolutely necessary. The tools are assistance in my eyes. Rarely needed. I really only think the Axe is 100% justified as necessary. Even Shuriken are just to help you combat aerial enemies but would be my second choice for needed tools. Shield enemies are too slow to do anything and too hard to break through without the Axe. It's not like it'd be actually difficult but it'd just throw in some annoyingly slow fights for generic enemies into the game. Not a great idea in my opinion.

^ Top  
  4. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Anyone here following closely the mod scene? Any good overhaul mods? I'd love someone to take another pass at the tools, make them more integral, more substantial.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    I only watched a handful of Sekiro-mod related videos from time to time, but the channel I linked in the previous page among many others (like ONGBAL) often showcase a bossfight from the mods. The most popular ones (or at least, the ones which I encountered the most on my feed) are Resurrection and Long May the Shadow Reflect. The general consensus seems to be that the former is more 'balanced' in line with the original design, while the latter is (unfortunately) full of spam attacks, which would most likely exacerbate all the 'spam L1' complains.

Personally, I think all the overhaul mods I've witnessed ends up with enemies spamming the exact same moves which can be encountered with L1 spams, which speaks volume to Fromsoft's competence in designing the game tightly so it doesn't become a clickfest (like so many who couldn't quite master the system as they've done with Soulsborne complained), but just comparing the Sword Saint fight between Resurrection and LMTSR, yeah, the former seems more 'balanced' and 'restrained', thus in line with the original designs, while the latter is full of spams (unfortunately).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    I remember that I have found a technique to make the shield guys expose themself without using an axe, but I forgot how I did it.

^ Top  
  7. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Whose least favorite boss or mini-boss of this game is yours?

Mine is Armored Warrior, not for being tough, he's pretty easy to parry but because unlike most bosses with a gimmick and clear strategy, i just have a hard time actually kicking him down the bridge, i swear the Wolf kicks the guy around 10 times and he always stumbles to anything but outside or my character seems to aim at every damn side but the one with a hole, for some reason i just have issue with this to a point where it became more annoying just seeing the guy step backwards than actually fighting him.

^ Top  
  8. Squid Savant

Squid
    The Flaming Bull. I didn't understand how to beat him for a long time. I beat him first try once of my four playthroughs. I beat him second try on two of them. Initial playthrough it might have taken me 3-5 times. I just don't get what to do besides sprint around like a madman and wait to stab randomly or just spam firecrackers to make it freak out. Best method really is just waiting for an opening to do enough damage to make the boss go into a state of vulnerability (kinda how the Headless Ape does if you parry correctly). Just find the fight more annoying than anything.

I also hated the Corrupted Monk fight. Just always annoys me but I can beat it in one try on a playthrough but I get close to dying because I'm too impatient and if I use ash/crackers to stun to get free hits I always get too greedy. Also I hate bosses that have a ton of mobs hanging out around them and are tedious to clear for a decent 1v1. I don't want to fight Snake Eyes in a pool of poison with 3 other dudes with shotguns/rifles also attacking me. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Ahh, I know that fight, I beat the Snake Eyes on the snow with Sebimaru, the one on the poison lake, I just put other music, stayed in a corner and saw how she stood in a poison lake trying to find a way to shoot me, she is resistant to poison, but after a long while she gets weak enough you can just jump and kill her with one blow.

Cheap as hell and boring way to win...but I didn't regret it.

^ Top  
  10. Squid Savant

Squid
    Yeah I discovered that at one point too but didn't have the patience to wait for that. I beat it four times though. I don't mind the snow mountain one because it doesn't have allies constantly shooting at you, just one your way to the fighting area (and a specific area they can see you from but it's not bad)

^ Top  
  11. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Question, do they ever explain in-universe why Idols just stop working, i know why in gameplay terms, the areas got harder and you have to travel back, but they are all done by the Sculptor and even before he turns into a demon there is a point where the Idols at the castle stop working, then both the outskirts and the castle by the end.

I guess it's just one of those things that aren't part of the plot and the Wolf never teleports maybe, but it just made me wonder if the Ministry just has teleporting cancelling stuff that we never see.

^ Top  
  12. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    Demon of Hatred. I don't particularly enjoy fighting him and I never got good against him. He was stomping me into the dirt even on my 4th playthrough, and in that one I was so practiced that I wiped the floor with Ishin in the first attempt, but DoH was still a brick wall for a solid 2 hours.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nathir Savant

Nathir
    I also remember having difficulties against the Demon, but iirc then I used the umbrella shield and did it first try.

• Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    I never use Spirit Emblems in that fight before the third phase, because I need to cheese the shit out of it with that Whistle thingy and Divine Confetti, or my chances of beating the fucker rapidly approach zero. DoH remains the only Boss I could never defeat without Prosthetics and/or cheese.

^ Top  
  15. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Anybody else noticed a big gap in difficulty between the two possible paths (the normal one and the one where you fight extra bosses, like Father Owl etc) ?

My first time I missed the extra bosses and the endgame ones became really tough. I almost quitted the game on demon of hatred. Then my next playthrough I went for the path where you fight extra bosses along the way and I wiped the floor with demon of Hatred (besides making Isshin much mode manageable).

I think the "default" playthrough can become too frustrating because of this, specially for first timers.

^ Top  
  16. Old Hans Arcane

Old Hans
    i really hate these bosses that have a sweep and a thrust and you have 0.1 seconds to figure out which one it is

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Weapon on the ground = sweep
    Weapon not on the ground = thrust
    Not holding their weapons? = grabs
    You can also identify them based on what attack move they performed prior to the perilous attacks. Generally speaking, a sweep will flow from horizontal slashes, while thrusts generally happens after vertical strikes or if they pull their weapons back.

If you're still not confident in identifying the attacks in time, you can always train with Hanbei the Undying.

^ Top  
  18. Old Hans Arcane

Old Hans
    I blame the big red rune that pops up, which draws my attention away from the animation. so really im not gonna blame myself. I will blame miyazaki for adding that distraction, which goes against the Shinobi iron code.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Two which Demon's/Dark Souls game is the level design (strictly the level design) in Sekiro most similar?

The answer to this question will determine whether or not I ever play it. It's on sale now, and I've been playing through DS1 and DS2 again this past month or so, so I'm interested.

^ Top  
  20. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    I think it's DS 3. There no world interconnectness like in Dark Souls 1 nor environmental hazards like in DS 2. However, Sekiro isn't about level design, but about boss battles. It's certainly more fun than DS 3, Sekiro feels more fresh, even if it's just a pure action game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Sekiro level design is pretty good and somewhat refreshing coming from the Souls games. It's a semi-linear romp through the Ashina clan lands with the main castle as it's epicenter. Different from DS2 though, here it makes sense - you can open a map and see how the lands neighbour each other in coherent fashion. It's semi-linear because you'll need/want to revisit some of the peripheral areas after the first clean up, and refreshing because some areas are truly beautiful in a way you don't see much in Soulsdom.

I say go for it. Even if it's not my favorite souls, it's totally worthy the experience. Plus the bosses are the best From ever did.

^ Top  
  22. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Don't play it it's gonna be too hard for you.

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It will certainly be too hard for me to play if it's one long, thinly-disguised linear path with treasure nooks off to the side and fast travel nodes every twenty feet like DS3 was.

^ Top  
  24. Old Hans Arcane

Old Hans
    compared to demon's souls, you can traverse the areas fairly quickly in Sekiro, but the sword combat is so much fun and the boss fights are fun EXCEPT for that big dumb demon

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Silva Arcane

Silva
    You're in for a surprise. The vertical exploration + different combat results in a very different experience than Souls.

Stop talking and play it already.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.