Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Serious Sam 4

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know how some people say that Serious Sam has always been about nothing but arenas and waves of mobs? That has never been true because you've also had regular levels where you moved from room to room to push buttons or grab macguffins.

That was the case in the FE and perhaps SE (i haven't played the latter in years so i might be forgetting something), but ever since SS2 the level design *is* just arenas and waves of mobs. There are a few cases where this isn't the case, like e.g. finding gasoline or bombing the sphynx in SS3, but those are like 0.1% of the entire game - the first game had way more of those compared to the later games.

JDR13

Arcane
You know how some people say that Serious Sam has always been about nothing but arenas and waves of mobs? That has never been true because you've also had regular levels where you moved from room to room to push buttons or grab macguffins.

That was the case in the FE and perhaps SE (i haven't played the latter in years so i might be forgetting something), but ever since SS2 the level design *is* just arenas and waves of mobs. There are a few cases where this isn't the case, like e.g. finding gasoline or bombing the sphynx in SS3, but those are like 0.1% of the entire game - the first game had way more of those compared to the later games.

That isn't true at all. Both Serious Sam 2 and SS3: BFE have lots of secrets and hidden areas/items to find.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That isn't true at all. Both Serious Sam 2 and SS3: BFE have lots of secrets and hidden areas/items to find.

I wasn't referring to optional things like secrets and hidden areas and items, of which there are indeed tons, but to how the game itself progresses - e.g. in the original SS1 in many places you need to find buttons or switches to open doors to continue, whereas later games largely removed those. There are still some, like the examples i gave (which weren't optional secrets) in SS3, but SS1 relied more on them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the plot twist in this piece of shit might just be one of the top 10 most retarded things i've seen in a video game, ever :prosper:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I finished the game today. It does have a lot of issues, but it's definitely not shit.

Biggest problems:

- optimization is in the gutter, and the game feels very unpolished (year after the release!).

- upgrade system, really? What kind of game do you think you are, Serious Sam 4?

- there's too many cringy and badly written cutscenes, dialogues and radio banter. Who gives a shit the story and characters, just give me a gun and enemies to shoot at. Thankfully, you can skip all of the cutscenes and tone down voice volume in options menu.

- really weird weapon distribution. You can no longer find higher-tier weapons in secret caches, you can only get them when the story allows you. You get laser gun and Sam's signature cannon only like 2 hours before the end, in a 16 hrs long game. Where's the fun in that?

- weapons can only be found one time (except when the game takes your guns away for story reasons, then you can find them the second time). I missed an under-barrel grenade launcher, and had to play through entire game without it.

- annoying trash enemies like Processed, Mummies and Drones, I audibly groaned each time they appeared on screen. Encounter design in general is really weak, like two thirds of encounters are just mindless carnage with random enemies spawning with hardly any thought put into them.

- most of the maps are way too fucking huge and full of copypasted prefabs. Remember those stories of how Croteam wanted to make a military shooter set in the middle-east, but then it was cancelled so they took assets and made Serious Sam 3? At some point I got an impression that this time Croteam wanted to make a battle-royale game, but the deal fell through so they had to take their overly big maps and quickly turn them into linear set of Serious Sam arenas. I don't see any other reason for levels being so big and empty.

- there are "side-quests", but all of them are just a boring filler. Basically, Croteam made huge maps but didn't know how to utilize of all of this empty space, so they added a bunch of "side-quests" where you need to walk off the beaten path, clear some trash encounters and get a gadget as a reward.

- there are multiple vehicle section in the game, and all of them are boring and shitty. You can pilot a mech, but it has shitty handling and you are cramped in a tiny corridor. You can drive a crop harvester and "harvest" enemies, but it has a very slow speed, there aren't many enemies around to harvest, and the harvester also takes damage when bumping into even a tiniest bush.

- secret hunting is really lame, because most of the secrets can only be found through janky platforming. Jump on a crate, then on a shipping container, then on a lamp post, then one a balcony, then on a roof of a shed... only to find some shit like +50 hp syringe. And the worst thing is that the movement physics is very janky and unreliable, so you end up falling most of the time. I think I found like, two or three decent secrets? The one with a giant rocketeer, and the one where you find Croteam members playing football.

Despite all of that I ended up liking the game, because the best levels (Vatican, Carcassonne, Anathema unto God, From Earth with love) are all concentrated in the second half of the game, so after shitty first half you get a few good levels and then the game ends on a high note. By that time you have most of the guns, and encounters actually start to make some sense (designers even start putting scorpions and reptiloids on elevated positions). The gunplay is fantastic and a huge step-up from previous entries. All guns are very satisfying to use, the new headshot system also vastly improves the combat, and the added spread when firing automatic weapons balances guns out and makes even your starting pistol useful (in previous SS games a minigun had a pin-point accuracy, making other bullet-based firearms almost obsolete). Akimbo system is a neat addition too, as it makes early weapons like a pump-action shotgun much more useful in the late-game.

Overall it's probably the weaked numbered Sam game, but it's not as bad as some people make it out.

Looking forward to Siberian Mayhem, looks like the new devs took SS4's solid foundation and built much better levels on top of it.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Croteam just released a patch.

0okuZDK.png

Hey everyone! As you have noticed we released a small, but notable update for Serious Sam 4. The update is focused on performance and game stability

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/257420/view/3197004889168309249

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Stumbled on this while browsing Facebook. Damjan Mravunac is :obviously: and I'm glad he got the recognition he deserves.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Have there been any similar shooters or alternatives to Serious Sam, with a fairly straightforward campaign that can be done in coop? I'm always looking for new games that can be finished over a weekend or a few days during Christmas Holidays.

Eisen

Learned
Jesus christ, BFE is terrible compared to the predecessors

1. Enemies are hard to see, they are too brown and gray
  2. Hitscan enemies. Cloned Soldier is a good example
  3. Confusing level layout
  4. Weapons feels nerfed for whatever reason
  5. Reloading
  6. Double Barrel Coach Gun spread is terrible(the sound is good tho)

I can't play Ssam 4 because it mandates Windows 10... and I'm starting to think I'm getting the sweet end of the deal here.
Well I'm running it on Ubuntu, so i don't know what your excuse is.

What are your specs?

I'm trying to run it on Endeavour OS via Proton Glorious Eggroll and at first it did not even start because of "driver too old" kind of error - I fixed it by adding certain command line (gfx_iDriverVersion=12000) in .lua file.

Now it starts but it last 2-3 minutes to load menu screen, then level loads for like 5-6 minutes or moar (WTF!) and game hangs on the very first cutscene.

My PC meets minimal requirements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom