Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #57: Shadowrun Has Returned

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
So in other words Shadowrun is hipster because you don't like it, got it.

You know what, fuck it.

Not Hard Science Fiction = Hipster Setting?

And where did I say that? I was just getting a little provoked by yet another post that only pointed fingers at a word I used, without saying anything. So I tried to make him say anything that I could work with, but he wouldn't.

Shadowrun is pretty banal shit boring in my opinion as well

Wow. Now say that a bit more and you may be a coming target of the shadowrun defense squad.

hipster setting
Fargots Hipsters: cannot stand more than tree colors :roll:. You heard it, colorful game is hipster. By the way, considering Shadowrun Returns fine art, it's flawless.

The graphics are very good, great actually, and I said so in several ways, but what does it matter. I already called it a hipster game and will now feel the wrath.

My post consisted of ca 100 words, out of which Darth Roxor highlighted two, hoping the rest would handle itself. Or the dude on the previous page, who didn't like what I said and then made a big show because I typed "Lionheart". Actually some of you guys responses are so primitive .. you need someone else to come out and handle it better than you, but point the finger you can.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
C:\Dokuments and Settings\%USER%\AppData\Local\Harebrained Schemes\Shadowrun Returns\Saves

Thanks! I'm sure I searched for "Harebrained" in documents and settings, but perhaps I misspelled it.

Actually, if you have a savegame from the late game, could you drop me a PM or send me the file? I would like to see it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
C'mon guys, is not that hard to bash Shadowrun... it has tons of flaws, you don't haver to pull out random words like HIPSTER for that...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
C'mon guys, is not that hard to bash Shadowrun... it has tons of flaws, you don't haver to pull out random words like HIPSTER for that...

This. The game has a fuckton of tangible and annoying problems, but when I see empty-words like "huehue hipster setting :popamole:" or "lul es iphone gaem :kingcomrade:", I'm seeing red.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I read some comments here that they should have just used the 4th (or 3rd) edition rules 1:1.
Wow... You have to be completely ignorant of anything that has to with producing a game to demand such a bullshit.

SR rules are amongst the most complex and deep rules out there. There are just so many rules and so much stuff that one can do that are covered by rules (either in the core book or one of the dozens addons to it) that it would take a year, if not more, to make even a text-RPG out of it! It is by no means comparable to rulesets like D&D (especially not 4th edition D&D, but it's also far more complex than 3rd edition).

Even if you only implemented the core rules, the time simply wouldn't have been enough for Shadowrun Returns.

That said, yes it would have been great, but I doubt we will ever see such a thing like a fully implemented SR ruleset in a video game.
Also, I agree that the rules of Shadowrun Returns are a bit too simplistic. There are basically six classes one can play. Each has one attribute that belongs to it (charisma - shaman, intelligence - mage, etc.). And there is not much variety in character builds. I mean, you can vary a lot, but in most cases your character will just suck ;)
It's not even close to what you can do with the actual SR ruleset and that is a bit sad. But understandable, given the limited time/budget.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
A lot of codexers are less literate than they think, and struggle to find the appropriate words to express their misgivings with a product.

likaq

Arcane
There is plenty of butthurt on potato sites about SR.
I can not even imagine amount of butthurt after W2 or AoD or Torment 2 release.
:lol:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This. The game has a fuckton of tangible and annoying problems, but when I see empty-words like "huehue hipster setting :popamole:" or "lul es iphone gaem :kingcomrade:", I'm seeing red.

Darth Roxor! I hereby propose that Shadowrun Returns is most likely to be enjoyed by a cretinous subset of the population given to inflating the value of a bromitic piece of art merely based upon its relative lack of exposure.
Additionally, I do submit that said game would be much more appropriately enjoyed upon a more primitive device, upon which the unwashed masses swipe and stab with their grubby extremities.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why the butthurt? Because turn-based, low budget? Or some other reason?

Shevek

Arcane
Shadowrun certainly has its flaws but its a fun little game. It certainly makes no sense to start taking pot shots at the setting of all things. Hipster? What? Does all Sci-Fi have to be "hard" Sci-Fi? I can look through the Hugo and Nebula award winners and I am pretty sure that not all the Sci-Fi novels on the winners list are gonna be hard Sci-Fi books. My own handle (Shevek) comes from a subcategory most often denoted a "soft" Sci Fi (Ursula K. Leguin's The Dispossesed) as it focuses more on social commentary etc. Calling cyberpunk or anyother Sci Fi category "hipster" defies logic.

likaq

Arcane
Why the butthurt? Because turn-based, low budget? Or some other reason?

Mainly low budget, shit gfx ( I presume that means 2D suxs ), shit animations, no voice acting, even butthurt about camera! ( why I can not change camera to tpp??? ), this game cost too much etc.
It is surprising for me that there is very little butthurt about turn-based.

Septaryeth

Augur
hipsters have rather shitty taste, but think the opposite. They also get terribly offended if you criticize their shit like The Matrix. I am getting those vibes here.

Hey NOW I will have pissed off some people.

Shadowrun setting is ok but not very clever when compared to Bladerunner for example.

Really? You're comparing Shadowrun to the pinnacle of the cyberpunk genre and condemning it "hipster" for not being just as clever?
Don't you think you raise the bar a bit too high?

Morkar Left

hipsters have rather shitty taste, but think the opposite. They also get terribly offended if you criticize their shit like The Matrix. I am getting those vibes here.

Hey NOW I will have pissed off some people.

Shadowrun setting is ok but not very clever when compared to Bladerunner for example.

Really? You're comparing Shadowrun to the pinnacle of the cyberpunk genre and condemning it "hipster" for not being just as clever?
Don't you think you raise the bar a bit too high?

Hmm, when you think about that Shadowrun "stole" the whole cyberpunk content stuff from Gibson I'm not sure how Bladerunner is more "clever". Basically the only difference is the returning magic. And zhis is done in a very consistent way.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This game has serious problems (the easy combat being the main one) but I think that alot of codexers have serious memory problems because fake choices and diplomatic skills useful only to get more money (always useless on cRPGs) or avoiding easy fights are hardly exclusivity of Shadowrun Returns. If you are really to be critical you can say that Shadowrun returns is as shitty as some classic isometric cRPGs (specially Bioware ones) but with less content on it. So, everything is shit as usual:lol:.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Even though Burning Bridges joined this prestigious community in 2006, it seems like he didn't pay too much attention during those 7 years, if he's surprised by people specifically pointing out stupid shit in his posts.

Also Darth Roxor, stop posting stupid shit and finish your review, lazy bum. This is why glorious potato has been under the toxic influence or outright occupation by sinister foreign powers for the last ~250 years, because faggots like you were lazing about drunk instead of working for the glory of the fatherland.

Wizfall

Cipher
I finished the game.
The strong point of the game is it is iso TB with quite enjoyable combat and good setting, what a pleasure to play a game like that after all these years !
Only for that the game is easily worth 15/20$ IMO.
Don't read further if you have not completed SRR, spoilers ahead.

I expected better though.
No really in term of "mechanics", yes the game has many flaws but overall it works.
It was totally linear with 0 exploration unlike the snes games. So you don't have the feeling of discovering things by yourself and miss the exploration fun part. Even for the very limited budget/time i was expecting better here, something like the snes level of linearity would have been perfect for me.
But my main deception come from the story and writing which are very average and uneven.

I would have rather like a "low level" story like the first part rather that "high level" epic story.
But main issue with the story is it has awful things, is unrealistic/ridiculous relative to the Shadowrun's lore.
A shadowrun "complex" with everything you need in the same location makes no sense at all and is stupid in the Shadowrun' setting. Moreover hidden in a bar FFS.
The janitor character is awful too in many ways. The character is shallow in itself but he was supposed to be a member of Echo Mirage ? It would be like finding Bill Gates working in the back of a small computer shop, putting together computers arggg.
Dodger is a legendary decker in the Shadowrun setting, i don't really mind hiring him but FFS in this case he should have the right skills !
At least 3 deckers were better than him and he had way too low skills, ridiculous.
If it was for balance give him at least slightly better skills than the other best decker and compensate by a big price tag.
Personally i would have gave him huge skills/stats but an almost impossible price tag. That way it would have been a cool reference to the P&P setting without hurting the gameplay.
Same thing with Harlequin except it's even much worse, the dude is like a half god power wise, you should never be able to recruit him.
The overall tone of the characters of the Union bar is wrong IMO (too many friendly/helpful characters for no strong reasons)
The end was very Shadowrun though with Telestrian and Sam crooking you.
I hope more of that in Berlin with a more mature and realistic tone.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also Darth Roxor, stop posting stupid shit and finish your review, lazy bum. This is why glorious potato has been under the toxic influence or outright occupation by sinister foreign powers for the last ~250 years, because faggots like you were lazing about drunk instead of working for the glory of the fatherland.

Silence, nigger, I'm almost done right now :rpgcodex:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least after this iphone game, the road is clear of KS red herrings until the real goodies are released.

What happened to KS anyway? We were getting 20 RPG KS's a week or so it seemed...now nothing. The hipsters found something better? KS became square?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You know what, fuck it.

Good choice. I find when people start throwing the "H" word around it usually comes from a place of ignorance and insecurity, not knowledge and wisdom. Sometimes wisdom is knowing when it's best to just shut your fool mouth.

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Will wait a year till they fix all the garbage.
Is this Shitstarter abortion worse or better than Conmanquistadors?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know what, fuck it.

Good choice. I find when people start throwing the "H" word around it usually comes from a place of ignorance and insecurity, not knowledge and wisdom. Sometimes wisdom is knowing when it's best to just shut your fool mouth.

I hear some cronkite in a ripped T-shirt is re-interpreting Keats with the use of bongo drums. Better get yourself a bronson and head on down.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Ah, that's why I didn't find the saves the first time, that's not where they are under Win7.

They're located in :

...\Steam\userdata\<somenumber>\234650\

Just an FYI, for anyone looking for them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Another FYI, the game kept deleting all my saves randomly until I updated it. For anyone who has the same issue.

And it does pick up a bit after the Asylum but has a couple nagging problems: it doesn't switch to RT mode after you kill all visible enemies, making moving and interacting with objects a pain at times and it is clearly just a "play this mission, buy upgrades, play the next mission" TB game and less of an RPG as such.

It's a fine diversion though. Let's see how Berlin turns out; the combat is pretty okay for a game that was made so quickly and looks and sounds so good. Still, I stand by what I said earlier, too, especially about the UI and the sense of "portability" that the game seems to have been designed for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom