Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shane Plays - LPs and Interviews

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it was a nice show, thanks for putting it on.

sstacks

Arcane
Shane if you get a chance to, ask them what they think of games that have Enhanced Editions, Definitive Editions, Director's Cuts, but there is no opportunity to buy the original/classic version.

Maybe felipepepe can respond here... I'll reach out to Matt and if I get an answer I'll include it in the podcast version of the show when it goes out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Shane if you get a chance to, ask them what they think of games that have Enhanced Editions, Definitive Editions, Director's Cuts, but there is no opportunity to buy the original/classic version.
Maybe felipepepe can respond here... I'll reach out to Matt and if I get an answer I'll include it in the podcast version of the show when it goes out.
I understand why people do these re-releases, it's hard to get everything right on the first try and giving your gave a second chance to impress surely helps sales. Besides, even AoD or Underrail got a ton of patches post-release and you can't simply choose to download the original 1.0 version.

The problem is when they fuck the game, like W2;DC's console UI ("InXile IS PC FIRST, I SWEAR!"), or Baldur's Gate:EE. Regardless, the high seas will always be there for those in search of freedom...

sstacks

Arcane
Nice a commercial for C&C.

Yeah C&C is fun and the Troll Lord guys are cool... they're right here in the Little Rock area with me :)

Have you ever attended a Troll Con or have the Chenault's on your program?

Steve has been on the show with me several times and likely will be again, he likes to come on :) I have not met Davis. There are occasional murmurs of another Troll Con some day. I am planning at some point on doing one day tabletop RPG events at local hotels a few times a year.

sstacks

Arcane
This episode: We manage to take down the Ashen Priest and get everyone leveled up after completing Hommet's companion quest. Next Up: The super triple secret Gilded Eye HQ!

Mustawd

Mustawd & Zorba the Hutt I recorded some extra audio to answer your forum questions. Matt Barton also joined me for some extra discussion beyond the radio show stuff.

Shane, thanks to Matt and you for answering our questions. In terms if I had a specific game in mind, I'd say D:OS's EE is kind of what prompted my question.

The Classic version is no longer available to be purchase don Steam, although if you already own it you can still play it. The only version is the EE, which in terms of tactics many find superior.

The issue for me becomes when the game changes dramatically in ways that a consumer might find very negative. For example, D:OS Classic was not fully voice acted. A feature for me, as I find most voice acting to be mediocre and can be immersion breaking. In addition, my understanding is that they changed the voice actor of the cheese vendor, who in the classic game had a very distinct personality and sound.

The way I see it, the developers have a big incentive to market their EE/DC/DE etc versions over the older, classic versions. For one, you can control the marketing of the product if you stick to one version (NOW, FULLY VOICE ACTED!!). Also, more cynically, you can charge more for something that has "upgrades" compared to the original. Or at the very least you can probably keep prices higher for a longer period of time before resorting to sales as potential buyers will view the new versions as being premium over the originals.

At least with the IE games, physical copies do still exist if you want to find them on ebay and get them legitimately. But is anyone really expecting Larian to ever release the original classic D:OS? Of course not. Those are lost in the digital timeline of its release, with only available copies out there in pirate land. And I find this extremely unfortunate, even though I understand the business reasons behind it.

The saddest part is that this can be easily fixed by simply including the classic versions as free along with a full priced version of the version (if desired). Many games do this with their very much older games (BT4 and the emulated original BT's), and it doesn't hurt the experience or the sales of the newer version.

SniperHF

Arcane
Shane, thanks to Matt and you for answering our questions. In terms if I had a specific game in mind, I'd say D:OS's EE is kind of what prompted my question.

The Classic version is no longer available to be purchase don Steam, although if you already own it you can still play it. The only version is the EE, which in terms of tactics many find superior.

It wasn't always this way, but Larian eventually caved and made the Classic version available to new EE purchasers on Steam automatically. I think they got tired of dealing with the support emails :lol:

For GOG.com you can get it but I believe you have to request it.

Mustawd

It wasn't always this way, but Larian eventually caved and made the Classic version available to new EE purchasers on Steam automatically. I think they got tired of dealing with the support emails :lol:

Nice! Thanks, I didn't know that.

SniperHF

Arcane
The issue does exist with other games anyway. Pretty sure WL2 is in that boat.

What Felipe said about patches is a similar issue too. I almost always keep a downloaded version of the 1.0 release floating around from GOG. If nothing else it lets me roll back a patch I didn't like. I've heard of GOG specifically providing unadvertised links to older versions in the past but I think that practice stopped when Galaxy came out.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The issue does exist with other games anyway. Pretty sure WL2 is in that boat.

What Felipe said about patches is a similar issue too. I almost always keep a downloaded version of the 1.0 release floating around from GOG. If nothing else it lets me roll back a patch I didn't like. I've heard of GOG specifically providing unadvertised links to older versions in the past but I think that practice stopped when Galaxy came out.
Galaxy lets you rollback to previous versions.

sstacks

Arcane
The saddest part is that this can be easily fixed by simply including the classic versions as free along with a full priced version of the version (if desired). Many games do this with their very much older games (BT4 and the emulated original BT's), and it doesn't hurt the experience or the sales of the newer version.

That would indeed be the best way to handle it IMHO.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
sstacks
I just wanted to mention that you get classic versions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on GOG if you buy the enhanced ones.

https://af.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition?as=1649904300

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition includes the classic Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga.

https://af.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_enhanced_edition?as=1649904300

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition includes the classic Baldur's Gate 2 Complete.

And yeah, it sucks if the original version is not available any more, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

sstacks

Arcane
This episode: We go bear hunting and then begin storming the castle of our enemies the Gilded Eye. Looks like their leader may be under the influence of... a succubus?!

sstacks

Arcane
FYI as a reminder I am doing a lot of SLC videos to try to wrap it up and make room for Torment: Tides of Numenera

P.S. Also because I know Zorba loves it so much :P

sstacks

Arcane
I don't post all of my shows here and very rarely post non-CRPG show on this thread, however my guest made the jump from designing tabletop RPGs to video games (Destiny at Bungie) and I thought some folks might be interested in that part of the dicussion.

Highlights: Geek news; Game designer Rodney Thompson (D&D 5th Edition, Star Wars Saga system, Lords of Waterdeep, Destiny video game) discusses his Dusk City Outlaws fantasy heist RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom