Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Share your "I am not playing" list

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I am not playng anything except turn-based RPGs and turn-based strategy games.

That is a shorter list than listing everything I am not interested in.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
LoL or any sort of e-sport tower defense bullshit
Souls-likes
FPSes -- they all feel like corridor shooters to me. Last one I had any sort of fun with was Medal of Honor Allied Assault.
Battlefield and Battlefield-like games
Any game, regardless of genre, that pushes The Message™
You mean...space aliens?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
- JRPGs; the linearity and cutscene-heaviness just puts me off, in most of them you spend 80% of your time watching your characters do stuff that's completely out of your control. If I buy a game, I wanna play it. If I want to watch something I'll get a movie instead.
I also avoid these same genres or styles of game, except the one you're wrong about: JRPG - JRPGs are very broad. You get everything from blobbers w/ no cutscenes, RTw/P open world, ARPGs, tacticool RPG, and yeah, also storyfag lameness with zero gameplay value. I don't like a huge list of JRPGs, but those that I do I will cherish 'till the day I die. A hard requirement for me is no/minimal Animu art style and decent gameplay.
The JRPG term is more commonly applied to a specific subgenre of RPGs, though some people do indeed mean all Japanese-developed RPGs, which would include Wizardry-likes, Souls-likes, and so forth. JarlFrank obviously intended the former meaning here, and, when used in the subgenre sense, it refers to a type of RPG that diminishes the character-, combat-, and exploration-related aspects in favor of a narrative revolving around predetermined characters, usually quite linear in structure and with a great many cutscenes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- JRPGs; the linearity and cutscene-heaviness just puts me off, in most of them you spend 80% of your time watching your characters do stuff that's completely out of your control. If I buy a game, I wanna play it. If I want to watch something I'll get a movie instead.
I also avoid these same genres or styles of game, except the one you're wrong about: JRPG - JRPGs are very broad. You get everything from blobbers w/ no cutscenes, RTw/P open world, ARPGs, tacticool RPG, and yeah, also storyfag lameness with zero gameplay value. I don't like a huge list of JRPGs, but those that I do I will cherish 'till the day I die. A hard requirement for me is no/minimal Animu art style and decent gameplay.
The JRPG term is more commonly applied to a specific subgenre of RPGs, though some people do indeed mean all Japanese-developed RPGs, which would include Wizardry-likes, Souls-likes, and so forth. JarlFrank obviously intended the former meaning here, and, when used in the subgenre sense, it refers to a type of RPG that diminishes the character-, combat-, and exploration-related aspects in favor of a narrative revolving around predetermined characters, usually quite linear in structure and with a great many cutscenes.
Precisely. Even the Japanese themselves use different terms for other types of RPGs: games like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, which focus on tactical isometric combat, are called SRPGs. Dungeon crawlers like Wizardry are called DRPGs.

JRPGs are your average Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests, and I have absolutely zero interest in those.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
7. Shmup - boring, extremely basic, on rails, ugly. The only one I ever liked was G-Darius and even that isn't that good.
Mr. Play-More-Games has never played games before, who knew. Probably has only ever played Tyrian and some random hori-euro-shmups that nobody except normie casuals ever cared about. Go play Mars Matrix Battle Garegga.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Can someone try to sell me in ELEX 2? I've tried to play it 3 times, but always abort after 30 mins or so. It just feels like such a strict downgrade from ELEX. Things look so weird and plastic, Jax in particular. It oozes of actual non-good jank. I've been waiting for a patch that PB has been promising for nearly a year now, but they seem to be full of shit. Pankratz coming out of the closet as a console pleb, and PB not giving any kudos to the Archolos team, also puts a damper on my enthusiasm. Pankraaatz! :argh:

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
New Vegas. I installed it on my steam deck, but its so fucking ugly. I didn't like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, do the quests and characters redeem the other shit? I think I'd care if NV was just a shooter, without the pseudo-rpg mechanics. If Call of Pripyat is the answer, then I'll skip NV.

Falksi

Arcane
Pokemon. Really not my thing at all.

Pretty much anything that IGN give a 10/10.

Pretty much anything by most AAA devs/publishers now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom