Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

tet666

Augur
I finally got some time to play a bit more and decided to turn off vsync since 30fps is horrible when you're used to 200+. I get between 70-80fps with it off but it does seem to change how the game runs a bit. Demons are moving around much faster on the field. I think whoever said that the game logic isn't tied to fps may be incorrect. I'm going to go back to turning it on and just deal with the low fps. It's still probably a more stable frame rate than an actual Switch.

There is a 60 fps mod now so maybe try that, it can also improve the LOD optionally (but it's a bit costly)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l9dacvd5cyzhm5v/SMTV_Graphics_Mods.zip/file

You were a lot less annoying when you were Nyx. If this were my forum I would have banned you for being an unfunny and annoying novelty account a long time ago.
No! I am not Nyx anon I am wife scholar! I am! You would ban because you are fat stupid sensitive butthurt cuckold! You are! Do you need ban for hugbox forum anon! Do you! You are pathetic nonsense anon! You are!

There's a demi-fiend DLC where you face him and his demons (Matador, Daisojou, Hell Biker, etc). Maybe it ties the two stories together?

Nah, a the very beggining Sophia say that MC must face demon from ANOTHER world so SMTV and Nocturne are unrelated.

BTW Switch owners complain about performace heh, so we are a this point emulation provides better experience DAY ONE.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
I finally got some time to play a bit more and decided to turn off vsync since 30fps is horrible when you're used to 200+. I get between 70-80fps with it off but it does seem to change how the game runs a bit. Demons are moving around much faster on the field. I think whoever said that the game logic isn't tied to fps may be incorrect. I'm going to go back to turning it on and just deal with the low fps. It's still probably a more stable frame rate than an actual Switch.

If that's the case, then I still think it's a non issue, the only times I get caught is when the world has invisible walls or the hitbox is bigger than expected, not because I couldn't outrun them. Not worth the tradeoff in my opinion, but that's your call.

Then again, I'm the guy who played the Astral Chain intro at 3x speed recently and thought huh, this seems a little fast.

There is a 60 fps mod now so maybe try that, it can also improve the LOD optionally (but it's a bit costly)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l9dacvd5cyzhm5v/SMTV_Graphics_Mods.zip/file

Damn dude, you're on point with the info. Thanks!

Puukko

Arcane
I'm having trouble getting the packs above to work. Neither medium nor high seems to do anything, the game still launches locked at 30 and I see no difference in the draw distance. This is on 1.0.1. Did you confirm them to be working tet666?
If you did, could you share your folder layout? As I understand, mods should show up in the addons properties window. Never tried mods on Yuzu before myself.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
All screenshots from FE3H file structure.

For Yuzu, .ips mods go to /user/load/[game_id]/ directory:

61WPxKB.png

You can create such directory via emu:

EDgjlaC.png

For Ryu, mods go to the /mods/contents/[game_id]/ directory:

nTD8UCX.png

Created the same way:

VOkXSGC.png

Not sure about other formats, 'cuz Ryu has also "exefs_patches" and "nro_patches" subidrectories in the "mods" directory.

:roll:

And yes, mods should show up in the Add-Ons section of Properties, same way as Updates and DLCs do:

uZQw5El.jpg

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
You people getting 60fps on Overworld exploration?

I am fighting with 30-45 fps here, and battles always seem to be locked at 30fps. Is my i7-4790K really that old? :cry:

Puukko

Arcane
There we go, got it working. Had to create a new mod folder "60fps" and then dump the mod in there. Just dumping the romFS folder on top of the existing one by that name did nothing. Deceptive.

Thanks spekkio!

Medium LOD cost me perhaps 1-2 fps while looking identical to high which cost way more. Yeah, this is the one to go with.

Last edited:

d1r

Patron
My god, the exploration theme of the
second world map (Shinagawa) is absolutely FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

d1r

Patron
Is anyone here actually playing the game with the minimap disabled? I am trying to find as much shit as possible in my first run without the map, and then proceed to NG+ with the map enabled again.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Some random observations I've made after playing the game for 10h (I'm still in the Netherworld):

-The game's difficulty ramps up steadily. Some encounters are really hard, unless..

-Items are extremely useful in this game. The dampeners especially can trivialize otherwise impossibly difficult fights. Bosses hit like trucks and can easily one turn you if they hit a weakness and get extra turns. Casting spyglass on them on the first round to check what they use, what their weaknesses are and then blocking them from using their more likely damage type with a dampener is a nice way of beating otherwise tough fights.

-Continuing on items: Mitamas drop really good ones. Grimoires give your demons an instant level up and Gospels gives your MC a level up. Valuable stuff. Always carry Spyglasses and items for all element types so you can kill a Mitama when you find one. The macca they drop pays itself back (with a bit of excess) but the items they give are invaluable.

-It's worth looting all those random items that the little girl demon points out. You can get items to boost demon stats or even affinities. The worst thing that can happen is that you get pulled into a combat encounter, usually versus a Mitama, which is actually a great thing.

-Items seem to be one of the key elements to winning this game-

-The 5 Glory Miracle that sometimes gives you an extra relic is well worth it. Getting a double relic of a game cartridge which is worth a few thousand macca means you can use the compendium more liberally.

-Basically just hoard items and macca to win. You can grind your way out of a tough encounter, but the items they give you are invaluable in this game. I'm still putting most of my points into STR with some AGI and VIT. While the MC is a strong character, his strength comes in versatility via item usage rather than pure raw power like, say, Demi-Fiend or Flynn. They're using a more classical approach to how you should use your protagonist in SMT5 (support).

Edit: Also if anyone knows how to fuse the Hydra, let me know. Probably too late now but I'd still like to have it.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I tried the 60fps mod and it seems to speed the whole game up the same as turning vsync off. I want the bigger LOD so I'll deal with it. It would be nice if another user could confirm that the game seems sped up at higher fps just so I can know that it's not my imagination. I'm using the version that turns the lod up to high and still getting a solid 60fps with vsync on. I have a 5800X and 3080 although I doubt my gpu matters much in this scenario.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
In the first big area, I discovered 4 points of interest where the party apparently gets a XP boost. Should I use those spots right away or save them for my mid game team ?

Sentinel

Arcane
In the first big area, I discovered 4 points of interest where the party apparently gets a XP boost. Should I use those spots right away or save them for my mid game team ?
use, unless your demons have no abilities left to learn. in that case go fuse/recruit new ones and go back to the xp spot.

Puukko

Arcane
Also note it'll give exactly enough EXP to get to the next level. So if most of your team is say 50% to the next level, might be a good idea to save it.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't know what to think. The exploration and combat are definitely there.

The rest however... I really don't like scouring deserts for hours and hours on end. I think it sucks. SMT is a game about progressively mapping out a series of creepy dungeons, with occasional, short romps onto an overworld map.

The music is not menacing or scary. I don't particularly like it.

It's a mixed bag so far.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^I was afraid of that. I'm sure that I will enjoy it either wat, but I had a feeling this would be a negative.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yuzu is going smoothly for me.

Guys how I missed SMT music. Dungeon crawling is much better with these cool, beautiful and melancolic tunes.

Vorark

Erudite
Yuzu is unfortunately a no go here, it's either black screen or constant freezing with all cores stuck at 100%. Probably needs something better than a quad core.

Ryujinx on the other hand runs it with decent perfomance, fps hovering at 28~45 once vsync was turned off and resolution at 1x in docked mode. For all the talk about it being resource intensive, it fares much better on my aging PC; noticed the same with Metroid Dread.

Not much to comment on the game itself but the atmosphere in the ruins area, with ethereal-like music playing is top notch. Been waiting so long for a game like this, hopefully it won't disappoint.

01.png

Heh, long time no see!:love:

Silva

Arcane
Played a couple hours. The only thing I don't like is the protagonist visuals. Other than that, it's the exact Nocturne modernization I hoped for. A strange, moody and solitary experience, with a great combat to boot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom