Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
https://gamebanana.com/tools/10099

SMTV Editor (hopefully) coming soon to Vengeance according to the author.
Something that would be really nice to see is a mod which makes Phys skills use HP. I always wondered why the Persona series kept that system, but SMT for some reason is using MP instead.

quixotic

Learned
It’s probably so physical skills don’t completely overshadow magic, since recovering your HP in a battle is way easier than recovering your MP.

n0wh3r3

Educated
I liked SMTIII Lucifer's Call a lot. How much would I like SMTIV Vengeance? Is this more story heavy than SMTIII?

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I’ve been playing the OG route for ~20 hours and exposition happens in moments, but it’s been few and far between the combat-meat of it

Last edited:

Retardo

Learned
My only gripe right now would be the interludes where you return to school.

Like, oh yeah, we give you, the player, a great feeling of wandering this strange wasteland, subduing demons, and killing gods, but HIGH SCHOOL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF LIFE OF EVERY JAPANESE SO GO DEAL WITH THOSE PROBLEMS OF BULLYING, SELF-ESTEEM AND WHATEVER. OH HERE'S THE MANDATORY NEW TRANSFER STUDENT INTRODUCTION.

I remember Matador in the Haunt saying something along the lines of how bored should I be, returning to Tokyo after the exciting life in the Netherworld.

Retardo

Learned
Also, guys playing with additional miitamas turned off, how does it go?
Did you have any need to grind DP or macca?
I'm lv34, and considering turning them off, sibnce I've been using them rather sparingly anyway, but I'm afraid that without macca miiitama I wont have enough money for those reverse compendium fusions.

quixotic

Learned
I'm lv34, and considering turning them off, sibnce I've been using them rather sparingly anyway, but I'm afraid that without macca miiitama I wont have enough money for those reverse compendium fusions.
I’ve never played with them on, or bought them in the first place, and I was fine. All I’ve heard from the people that do use them is bad things, being overleveled, having too MUCH Macca, etc. V’s pretty fair with its compendium prices.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
extra money, xp & item boosts are for retards

have not played much been busy with underrail but so far enjoying this one, based on this thread combat is not a cakewalk as I expected :greatjob:

d1r

Patron
I’ve been playing the OG route for ~20 hours and exposition happens in moments, but it’s been few and far between the combat-meat of it
Vengeance story is much more story driven. Original story really feels very isolated compared to Vengeance (which per se is not a bad thing).
This DLC fucks up the progression. HARD. Definitely should be disabled if you play Hard, since, as it already has been mentioned, Hard is nicely balanced.

Elttharion

Learned
Didnt need to grind so far and I just finished the third map. I do explore the maps thoroughly, do side quests and try to fuse most demons at least once, just for completion's sake. I also try to pick relics and those little discovery spots as much as I can while exploring so right now I have almost 1 million macca in the bank. I am also playing on hard, fwiw.

Edit: Forgot to say I am playing canon of creation

Last edited:

MakenBro

Literate
Two things:
1. Ice/Fire/Whatever Block skills and Dekaja/Dekunda still have a base cost of 40 MP. Dampeners and Dispel/Purge Charms simply make those skills pointless, especially since Knowledge of Tools is a thing.
2. Buffs/debuffs lasting only 3 turns would have been fine if they were at least all party-wide and you didn't have to rely on single-target ones in the beginning. Boon Boost isn't available until near the end of Shinagawa, which makes the matter worse.

Minor issues that got carried over from the original release, but I hoped they'd address those.

d1r

Patron
Two things:
1. Ice/Fire/Whatever Block skills and Dekaja/Dekunda still have a base cost of 40 MP. Dampeners and Dispel/Purge Charms simply make those skills pointless, especially since Knowledge of Tools is a thing.
Yeah, I had really hoped that they would limit Dampers to 1 per fight, or make them really really expensive to buy. But then again, it's a SP RPG, and you can always do self-imposed challenges.

frajaq

Erudite
yes please

M7nPtWQ.png

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
the most useful thing about guest characters is that they can use items

well..

1719165080659.png

perma bench it is now way too strong miracle

difficulty has been great (lvl 45 now) but I have banned some ridiculous demons such as artemis which could be final boss and not using dampener/stat increase items. mirrors are still fine

d1r

Patron
I am not using the "Demons can use items" and "MC can use every Magatsuhi" skill in my runs. Way too overpowered imo.

Also, how is everyone liking the game so far? Best SMT of all time?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am not using the "Demons can use items" and "MC can use every Magatsuhi" skill in my runs. Way too overpowered imo.

Also, how is everyone liking the game so far? Best SMT of all time?
It´s fantastic. But the sunny desert setting is weird. I miss the night-time haunted cyberpunk city atmosphere of SMTIV and Apocalypse. Maybe later in the game this changes.

Gameplay is good old SMT, fine tuned to maximum enjoyement.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom