Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The student bullying story arc was pretty annoying and boring. I´m not liking story and characters in general, except Yoko Hiromine, which has some interesting moments. Starting to have temptations to skip cinematics.

I don´t understand people criticizing SMT4A for the anime characters and plot and giving this a pass. I didn´t found that game that offensive in that regard, and the story bits were shorter.

Luckily, combat, party building and exploration are great in this game.

Just a few more boss fights before I reach the ending of Vengeance. Thanks again to the kindness of d1r for the gifted copy of Vengeance. I had a delayed start in gathering thoughts on 5V because shortly after it came out I had a seizure that left me in the hospital for an entire day.

First off Every music track in this game is amazing. I'll probably be listening to these tracks more frequently than 3 or any other title. Much better than IV or Final.

Coming from Final, seeing all the demons in a new 3d game space has been amazing. Glad we didn't get the IV/Final angel adaptations though.

Overall the game feels less like a dungeon crawler and more like... The Hobbit SMT adventure edition. The game really lacked a strong atmosphere that 3/dds oozed or IV had to lesser extent. The Shekinah Glory Tokyo and Armageddon going on in the background made the story feel a lot less impactful compared to the past few mainline titles. I did however enjoy the increase in focus we got on demon interactions they were all great especially the Nahobeeho navigator quest. Really liked the addition of the demon haunt dialogues as well.

Too tired to think of anything else maybe more later.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I don´t understand people criticizing SMT4A for the anime characters and plot and giving this a pass. I didn´t found that game that offensive in that regard, and the story bits were shorter.

Luckily, combat, party building and exploration are great in this game.
Because 4A was completely over the top anime (with your 10-13 years old children cast) with awful character writing and dialogues, while V stays grounded and inoffensive. And on top of that, personally, 4A's cast was even more insulting to me because it went completely against original SMTIV's more serious tone, where interaction between your companions didn't feel that forced, respectively weren't that fucking gay.

I wasn't a fan of the whole school segment in SMTV either (there probably could have been better ways to characterize Tao), but I rather replay that segment 100 more times than hearing anything coming out of Hallelujah's or Gaston's mouth again.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
SMT4A is juvenile, stupid and somewhat light hearted for SMT usual tone. It´s bad but bearable.

SMTV is trying to show itself as thematically serious while giving boring sermons at the level of sensationalist trash TV shows, and falling short at atmosphere and tone with their also anime and pseudo Persona characters.

Depressed and identity crisis teenagers with stupid conflicts. They tried a weird mix of Persona and SMT, probably to sell more copies.

It´s a great gameplay fag game, which I support, but let´s not kid ourselves. Tone quality is low, and much closer to SMT4A than Nocturne.

Last edited:

d1r

Patron
SMT4A is juvenile, stupid and somewhat light hearted for SMT usual tone. It´s bad but bearable.

SMTV is trying to show itself as thematically serious while giving boring sermons at the level of sensationalist trash TV shows, and falling short at atmosphere and tone with their also anime and pseudo Persona characters.

Depressed and identity crisis teenagers with stupid conflicts. They tried a weird mix of Persona and SMT, probably to sell more copies.

It´s a great gameplay fag game, which I support, but let´s not kid ourselves. Tone quality is low, and much closer to SMT4A than Nocturne.
Well, I didn't say that it's on the same level as Nocturne or SMTIV. Nor would I ever pretend to. For a SMT game, it's definitely more "light-hearted", and yet, way more tolerable because it doesn't get too goofy with the character designs and anime tropes. While the pretty oppressive atmosphere from Nocturne is gone, it still manages to create a fantastic mood with it's world building, IMO.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
heard there was a superboss I missed
satan
which I had unlocked but missed 1 new dialogue option

hard fuck still not sure how to kill it, nocturne boy was np beat him first try

also need to find somas somewhere :cry:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the demon haunt. Tickle the trails fan inside me the right way. So far every demon i have, at least has 1 unique dialogue line that adds to the personality and lore of said demon. The amount repeating dialogue i can count with one hands honestly, that is pretty impressive with how much demons in this game

quixotic

Learned
heard there was a superboss I missed
satan
which I had unlocked but missed 1 new dialogue option

hard fuck still not sure how to kill it, nocturne boy was np beat him first try

also need to find somas somewhere :cry:
There’s also
Masakado in the Creation route, and his “true” form fight (he’s just stronger) if you bring a special item that you can find in the Vengeance route to the Creation route through NG+. Fighting his true form doesn’t unlock anything specific as far as I know though.

d1r

Patron
Harder than most of the game's boss fights. Wish NG+ would increase the spawn rate of these guys. They're super fun to fight if you're at their same level or underleveled.

IQDtDqI.jpeg

:shredder:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I just realized that I missed the Aramasa skill for my physical build (forgot to check essence for learnable skills). I was getting by with Beatdown and Scratch Dance......

PS: In general it isn't better than Beatdown, but it is bonkers with guaranteed crits and isn't automatically bad if a single strike misses. Phew. Thought I missed a critical skill.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
https://gamebanana.com/mods/524624

for all the power gaymers

Detailed Skill Descriptions​

More detailed skill descriptions including base Power, Accuracy, Ailment rates, etc.

Note that there are many different multipliers and effects in the game that can drastically alter your end results. A skill with 100% ailment rate is not guaranteed to inflict that ailment. Most commonly, Hard mode imposes a x0.7 Ailment rate to player attacks, and x1.3 ailment rate for enemies, and Skill Potential scales as low as x0.55 and as high as x1.6. Same is true of base power. Don't be too surprised if a skill with 130 base power out-damages a skill with 220 base power.

Note that this mod displays vanilla values only!
If you have any mods installed that alter skills in any way, only hit count and targets will adapt to their new values. Values like Power, Accuracy, bonus Crit rates, etc. will all display their original unmodded values.

Vorark

Erudite
I just realized that I missed the Aramasa skill for my physical build (forgot to check essence for learnable skills). I was getting by with Beatdown and Scratch Dance......

Isn't Sakanagi a decent alternative to Aramasa? Later you could swap to Murakumo, unless you wanna stay strictly as a Phys build instead of branching into Almighty.

There's Wrath Tempest too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom