Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Yuber

Educated
wtf, just finished the canon of creation and the ending came out of nowhere. I did not even know i was fighting the final boss (tsukoyumi).
A very weak ending, did I got the bad ending or something :D
Also there is no post game? I am only LV 82, how am I suppose to get Lv 95 for Beelzebaal

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
wtf, just finished the canon of creation and the ending came out of nowhere. I did not even know i was fighting the final boss (tsukoyumi).
A very weak ending, did I got the bad ending or something :D
Also there is no post game? I am only LV 82, how am I suppose to get Lv 95 for Beelzebaal
You got the (Bad) Neutral Ending.

And there is no post game besides killing the really nasty super bosses. You can easily get to high levels by grinding for some Grimoires and Gospels near the Egyptian Branch leyline at the bridge.

Nathir

Liturgist
So I finished this the other day... story and characters are pretty bad tbh. After the last area unlocks everyone is talking about the throne of creation and how you are one of the gods in the running to claim it. It was never mentioned before this act. Beelzebub is one of the fights for the keys and his first thing to say is "so you're the one lord lucifer pins his hopes on" or something like that. What? I haven't even met him, nor did he appear in the story except in 1 flashback before you fight hydra. You press forward and things just happen one after another. At the end Yoko reappears and the game makes the choice between Yoko and Tao for you. Based on I guess responses you made while you were traveling together I guess... 30 hours ago.

In the meantime Tao ressurected and was with you the whole time, while Yoko was revealed to be a traitor working with the main antagonistic force you've had to deal with throughout the game. Sorry but just because I was agreeing with Yoko that angels can be bad too it doesn't mean I want to kill everyone and that I would side with her over Tao who's been with me for way longer, and is always talking about how we'll create a better future etc. Naive? Maybe. But from a highschoolers perspective why would I ever side with Yoko? The final fight is Lucifer for some reason, and his design sucks. Why is the demifiend brought back? Is this a shared universe with Nocturne? Why does lucifer even need you? The monk that didn't do anything also appears here just to say he is dissapointed and leaves. Ok bro, earn that paycheck.

Aogami reappears and Tsukuyomi sacrifices himself for Yoko... Why? It diminishes the death of Aogami, and Tsukuyomi was fighting the Quadištu the whole time to protect Tokyo. Same as the MC. Again, not only is Yoko a horrible character, siding with her in any way makes no sense based on how the story progresses.

This game commits every sin a lot of modern japanese "anime styled" media does. A lot of exposition and a lot of explanations about systems and things that ultimately don't matter. While the actual characters and plot just progress randomly from scene to scene with not much ryhme or reason, with childish and juvenile characters.

Gameplay is fun enough, but even here I think the game does not innovate in any meaningful way over lets say Nocturne from 20 years ago. You still have the same press turn system, but the magatsuhi skills feel tacked on and unnecessary. The base critical skill is the best one most of the time and it just gives you extra power at no cost. Enemies also always use the same skill after critical omagatoki. So you can just use the dampener and nullify their whole critical turn. The only enemy that switched it up was Mastema, the penultimate boss... and I died when he did wind criticals while I used light dampener... Still got him 2nd try though. Lucifer also died on like the 3rd or 4th try. And I was playing on hard.

Speaking of difficulty, the game was way too easy. You just get too much free stuff. I never had money problems, it's easy to get demons and to fuse them around. You can buy dampeners for really cheap. You can choose which skills to give demons at fusion or modify them via essences. You have all the balms, sutras and incenses to improve your demons and mc. You have the statues that level up your whole stock for free, you have grimoires... It felt like instead of a few select demons, my whole stock was super strong and if anyone died, I could easily swap in a demon just as strong. In dungeons you could just run past everything, there was like 1 puzzle section which flipped the floor and ceiling around and that was it... no environmental danger at all. The game was just... easy. Even on hard.

There is also a lot of sidequests and stuff to pick up on the map. After a while it felt like padding and tedious. The minimap was stuffed with icons all the time. I did like the affinity systems. Helps to differentiate demons a bit from one another, but sadly undermined by the essence system. Also the soundtrack was fire.

Aruil

Educated
Patron
In the meantime Tao ressurected and was with you the whole time, while Yoko was revealed to be a traitor working with the main antagonistic force you've had to deal with throughout the game. Sorry but just because I was agreeing with Yoko that angels can be bad too it doesn't mean I want to kill everyone and that I would side with her over Tao who's been with me for way longer, and is always talking about how we'll create a better future etc. Naive? Maybe. But from a highschoolers perspective why would I ever side with Yoko? The final fight is Lucifer for some reason, and his design sucks. Why is the demifiend brought back? Is this a shared universe with Nocturne? Why does lucifer even need you? The monk that didn't do anything also appears here just to say he is dissapointed and leaves. Ok bro, earn that paycheck.
Just want to answer this part. Though I haven't seen it everywhere mentioned as such, I think it's fairly obvious it's a sequel to Nocturne

what with the destroyed Tokyo, and Lucifer killing God.

As for the monk it kinda makes sense he's disappointed

since his role is to aid with the creation of the new world and you "decided" to destroy everything.

quixotic

Learned
The final fight is Lucifer for some reason
He’s the one that took the throne and YHVH’s Knowledge, the world can’t be changed without the throne. That’s why his design’s different.
Why does lucifer even need you?
He wants to suicide by cop. He learned that he’ll never truly be free once he ascended because of the way the Mandala system works, and decided to sit around and wait for somebody to come and kill him instead of actually using the throne to remake the world. He sent Aogami to you in the beginning so you eventually could take the throne from him.

Nathir

Liturgist
Just want to answer this part. Though I haven't seen it everywhere mentioned as such, I think it's fairly obvious it's a sequel to Nocturne

since his role is to aid with the creation of the new world and you "decided" to destroy everything.

Yes, I get it that it's a sequel to Nocturne, but... why? Why does the game have to reference TDE? It gains nothing by it, except some cheap fanservice. It isn't properly explained or built up and if someone hasn't played Nocturne it might aswell be an irrelevant bit of trivia. Honestly, remove demifiend and any references and the story could still function on its own. Lucifer defeated god but didn't get the desired outcome and needs a Nahobino to kill him. That's all. You don't have to reference the fiends or anything. It would be the same story for everyone who hasn't played Nocturne. Honestly I think they knew how lame this setup was and wanted to reference Nocturne just for cheap nostalgia points. And why is a Nahobino required to kill Lucifer? They just throw this 1 line out there to justify his actions but it's lame as hell. Lucifer is literally just waiting around to be killed by the "special one".

Moreover I think the writers do not understand Nocturne at all and cheapen it in this way. TDE was never supposed to be the "cannon" ending. It was added as a sidequest with a rerelease of the game for starters... And while you could roleplay as an edgy fiend that gets enthralled by Lucifer the primary story beats definitely revolve around the human characters and their reasons.

As for the Monk, yeah I got that. He exposition dumps this info before he leaves. My problem is that he doesn't do anything through the game. Remove the character and nothing is lost. He is just a time waster.

Nathir

Liturgist
The final fight is Lucifer for some reason
He’s the one that took the throne and YHVH’s Knowledge, the world can’t be changed without the throne. That’s why his design’s different.
Why does lucifer even need you?
He wants to suicide by cop. He learned that he’ll never truly be free once he ascended because of the way the Mandala system works, and decided to sit around and wait for somebody to come and kill him instead of actually using the throne to remake the world. He sent Aogami to you in the beginning so you eventually could take the throne from him.

Yeah I know. I explained myself poorly there but for the first point I wanted to say how it doesn't matter for the story who sits on the throne. Anyone could be there, and the story would be the same. He is just shown once in the hydra flashback and then at the end he appears and you fight him and that's it. It could be anyone on the throne, it just had to be lucifer, because that's what the writers think SMT is all about.

As for the seond part it's incredibly poor storytelling that you are the only one that can "free" lucifer. The last boss just sitting there and his motivation being to die by you (remember, you've never interacted with him before the last battle) is incredibly poor storytelling. You are telling me Zeus, Odin, demifiend etc. can't do shit, Luicfer just has to be killed by a japanese highscooler fused with a super sentai?

Aruil

Educated
Patron

Yes, I get it that it's a sequel to Nocturne, but... why? Why does the game have to reference TDE? It gains nothing by it, except some cheap fanservice. It isn't properly explained or built up and if someone hasn't played Nocturne it might aswell be an irrelevant bit of trivia. Honestly, remove demifiend and any references and the story could still function on its own. Lucifer defeated god but didn't get the desired outcome and needs a Nahobino to kill him. That's all. You don't have to reference the fiends or anything. It would be the same story for everyone who hasn't played Nocturne. Honestly I think they knew how lame this setup was and wanted to reference Nocturne just for cheap nostalgia points. And why is a Nahobino required to kill Lucifer? They just throw this 1 line out there to justify his actions but it's lame as hell. Lucifer is literally just waiting around to be killed by the "special one".

Moreover I think the writers do not understand Nocturne at all and cheapen it in this way. TDE was never supposed to be the "cannon" ending. It was added as a sidequest with a rerelease of the game for starters... And while you could roleplay as an edgy fiend that gets enthralled by Lucifer the primary story beats definitely revolve around the human characters and their reasons.

As for the Monk, yeah I got that. He exposition dumbs this info before he leaves. My problem is that he doesn't do anything through the game. Remove the character and nothing is lost. He is just a time waster.
I don't really disagree. The whole game always gave me the impression that it wanted to recreate the success (or at least the fan reception) of Nocturne. The demifiend is a DLC so yeah he doesn't serve any narrative purpose, he just sort of fits to the Nocturne theme they were going for.

Yuber

Educated
Nocturne was just another level. I wonder why devs today can't create these gems anymore.

Yuber

Educated
Started Canon of Vengeance and thought it would be like a new game, but it seems to be pretty much the same? Beat the first area now and there was only very minor changes, a guess character with a little dialogue here and there and two new boss fights. Maybe the later areas have more change I guess.
On second playthrough hard is even more easy. I started with Lv 1 again but everything is so easy now lol

You are telling me Zeus, Odin, demifiend etc. can't do shit, Luicfer just has to be killed by a japanese highscooler fused with a super sentai?
What I inferred from the game is that most of the pagan deities are lesser in power compared to the higher angels that serve the great will. I really doubt Zeus, Odin, etc, are finding a way past Metatron or beating Lucifer. Especially seeing how most of the other branches are busy being deceptive backbiters.

Nathir

Liturgist
You are telling me Zeus, Odin, demifiend etc. can't do shit, Luicfer just has to be killed by a japanese highscooler fused with a super sentai?
What I inferred from the game is that most of the pagan deities are lesser in power compared to the higher angels that serve the great will. I really doubt Zeus, Odin, etc, are finding a way past Metatron or beating Lucifer. Especially seeing how most of the other branches are busy being deceptive backbiters.

Yes, but why? Just because something is explained doesn't mean it makes for good storytelling.

Yes, but why? Just because something is explained doesn't mean it makes for good storytelling.
To show the power the player acquires over the course of the game? You know the purpose of an rpg/progression system?

How is it bad storytelling in a modern setting to explain that ancient pagan deities like Odin and Zeus have lost most of their power?

You know what? They need to subvert peoples expectations. What should've happened is you reach the Throne and instead of Lucifer or Satan being the final challenge it should just be one level one Slime. It would break new ground.

Yuber

Educated

What should've happened is you reach the Throne and instead of Lucifer or Satan being the final challenge it should just be one level one Slime. It would break new ground.

Dat would have been funny LOL.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Man, I really want to see the poor sod who is the Knowledge of Slime. That new form must look ... awkward.

A Shin Megami Tensei board game to be produced by ICREA has been announced, adapting the popular Japanese RPG series to tabletop.

No release date for the Shin Megami Tensei board game was given, but a Kickstarter campaign is set to launch on September 10, 2024 for funds in order to manufacture the game.

The board game will feature 72 demon figures, including new demons unique to the board game. And keeping in theme with the games they’re based on, demon fusion and negotiation will be the main draw to the game, where players work towards gathering powerful allies.
mite b cool.

Nathir

Liturgist

To show the power the player acquires over the course of the game? You know the purpose of an rpg/progression system?

How is it bad storytelling in a modern setting to explain that ancient pagan deities like Odin and Zeus have lost most of their power?

You know what? They need to subvert peoples expectations. What should've happened is you reach the Throne and instead of Lucifer or Satan being the final challenge it should just be one level one Slime. It would break new ground.

That's not even my original my original point anymore. My point was that it is lame that only a nahobino (the MC) can "free" Lucifer. You are the chosen one, that the final boss sits around and waits for you to come kill him. That was my complaint. I didn't mean pagan deities losing their power is bad storytelling. I meant your MC being the super special being just because of a chance encounter and fusion is bad storytelling.

Yuber

Educated
I am on the new map in Vengeance now, but for now I liked Canon of Creation more than Vengeance.
Game keeps being easy, lol @ the Hayataro and Yuzuru fight, I just made King Frost and drained all turns when Yuzuru used Ice attack.
Then 2 Freikugel and boss was done.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now level 24. Beat Lahmu and Matador yesterday.

Lahmu was just a DPS test in the end, once I equipped aoe abilities, particularly ones he's weak to, went down real fast on 2nd try, soon after an early Omagotoki Crit round. Though on first the fight was dragging on, I was forced to destroy tentacles 1 by 1 before they all full heal and once they were gone, it went on a rampage and started to cast some crazy strong spells that demolished the reminder of my party in 2 rounds. Does his magic stat grow with turns spent in combat or something?

Matador was even more of a challenge. The ability to randomly kill on crit or weakness is brutal, so keeping him debuffed and avoiding Force weakness on all allies was critical. In the end, after a nasty Andalucia, only Nahobino was left standing to deliver the final blow...

Overall 2 neat fights.

Now I have fused Matador. Seems like I should try to boost his crit chances to take advantage of his neat passive...

Overall Venom Chaser from Rakshasa and Voivre seems like a fantastic move at these game stages - whenever I can affect enemies with Poison.
And I guess they synergize with a Zhen's Deathly Affliction.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Now I have fused Matador. Seems like I should try to boost his crit chances to take advantage of his neat passive...
He will learn Critical Aura which gives him 100% Crit for one attack.
That's... very convenient.
Looking forward to pair him with Loa in a couple levels :)

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I meant your MC being the super special being just because of a chance encounter and fusion is bad storytelling.
So do you want

A: Your character is the super special being for another reason (Like... you just start as Odin or some shit?)

B: Your character isn't a super special being and therefore has no influence on the plot because Odin goes and does everything while you watch?

I don't think either of those would qualify as good storytelling. It sounds like you want some personal character driven story like a survival horror or something about a little girl escaping/fighting a monster and nobody ever knows or cares because she wasn't special and neither was the monster. Fuck that noise. I want to go punch gods.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Its a jrpg for fuck's sake.
Who expects good storytelling from those?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom