Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been impressed with the difficulty in the Vengeance route on Hard so far. Thought it was evening out a little too quickly in the first few hours, but nope! 14 hours in and the game just keeps throwing insane fights at me.
The mermaid sidequest (not the pazuzu, the water godess boss) gave me quite a bit of trouble even with optimal party setting. There is also those red glowing enemies that kicked my ass. I think red ippon-dattara, unlike regular ippon, it can use party wide triple debuff and use a skill called "fountain of youth" or something that heals its HP to full every turn.

Speaking of sidequests, they are very fun so far. They have decently interesting side stories, and usually end up in unique boss battle or do unique activity (like full moon minigame)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Jesus Christ the new Magatsuhi ability you get in the third Da'at. Finally a contender for the Critical buff. At least it's a very fitting reward after the absolute ass pounding that was the last Qaditsu boss battle. That may well be one of the hardest non-super boss fights I've done in an Atlus game so far.

Elttharion

Learned
The game is fantastic. I just reached the start of the third map on the canon of creation campaign and the difficulty spike is no joke. Full strenght Nahobino is a beast but I think I might need to pump some points on Vit since I am getting killed pretty easily if the enemy manages to land a couple of crits in the same turn.

quixotic

Learned
It’s basically a combination of what they did with Nocturne Maniax and IV Apocalypse, there’s a bunch of gameplay changes and new bosses and quests plus a new scenario.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
The game is fantastic. I just reached the start of the third map on the canon of creation campaign and the difficulty spike is no joke. Full strenght Nahobino is a beast but I think I might need to pump some points on Vit since I am getting killed pretty easily if the enemy manages to land a couple of crits in the same turn.
Enjoy the soundtrack of the third area. That Ginza theme slaps hard.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I don't get it, is the re release a sequel or a remake or some kind of do over or what?

It's kind of all of the above, it's less of a sequel than SMT IVA yet it has WAYYYYYY more changes and improvements than Persona 5R. It's not a brand new game from vanilla SMT V but it has improved so much from its predecessor that you should just pretend SMT V never happened.

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't get it, is the re release a sequel or a remake or some kind of do over or what?
Think of it as an expansion with QoL upgrades to the base game.

You get to choose if you want to play the expansion story or the original game story at the start of the game.

Elttharion

Learned
Enjoy the soundtrack of the third area. That Ginza theme slaps hard.
Yeah, the OST is great. This was my favorite track so far:

Elttharion

Learned
dH2Wl2t.jpg

true-correct.gif

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So you gotta play it twice? Or can just start with the new version? I never got around to playing SMT5.

Just play the new version. It replaces the old one effectively
More or less, although if you like the game a lot then it's worth doing both routes since there are a few differences (the 3rd Da'at and dungeon is different on both routes). There are also minor changes in boss fights here and there.

d1r

Patron
And don't forget Route specific demons. You have to replay the game more than five times to get the 100% Compendium. lol

The internet says Luck improves your chances of landing status ailments, so I thought I'd try a status-focused luck MC, but it really isn't panning out as described. With a small investment into Vitality and everything else going into Luck, I'd say my nahobino lands status effects against bosses 10% of the time or so, unless a boss has a specific weakness to one. A total waste of a turn to even attempt it, and a waste of levels trying to boost it. I'd even be interested in seeing some cheatengine/data mining info to confirm if luck is a factor at all.
I think it was 0.2% chance of Ailment infliction per point. So you would need 500 LCK points for 100% ailment success rate.
Don't forget that your Affinity increases the ailment proc rate. I'm not sure if it's a multiplier on the base chance or if it includes your Luck as well, but at +5 Affinity you get an extra 35% chance to inflict Ailments.

Also having a demon like Loa in your party that increases the efficacy of ailments and Hama/Mudo instant kills seems to be pretty beneficial. I set him up with Poison Sting and Curse Siphon and he's been poisoning even poison-resistant enemies a decent amount. My light and dark spell-slinging magic users are instant killing more often than not when he's in the active party. Best floating skull since Morte.

I don't remember if those demon Innate Skills were in Vanilla SMT5, but I'm really liking their inclusion. Matador spanked me a few times before I realized what he was up to.

I do wonder if the spells that inflict status ailments vs. the physical attacks have a better or worse success rate, and whether Ailment affinity applies to just ailment spells or attacks that inflict ailments as a bonus.

Vorark

Erudite
Spoiled myself to see if there were any changes to the Sahori/Lahmu subplot... poor gal just can't catch a break.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Niice, PC version has sold 500k units in three days.

d1r probably bought half of those copies.

Bring over both SMT 4s, you cowards.

quixotic

Learned

Nah, it’s sold 500k total on every platform, not just PC. Still, that was REALLY, REALLY fast, it’s probably the fastest selling mainline game.
Let’s hope that means we won’t have to wait until 2030 for VI.

d1r

Patron

Nah, it’s sold 500k total on every platform, not just PC. Still, that was REALLY, REALLY fast, it’s probably the fastest selling mainline game.
Let’s hope that means we won’t have to wait until 2030 for VI.
It's still ... not ... enough... I am sorry, Atlus-sama. I failed. I will commit financial seppuku after I have finished Godborne mode ...

:negative:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
While I will always have a soft spot for Nocturne, this by far the best Atlus game I've been playing - dethroning Nocturne and a very distant Persona 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom