Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Sentinel

Arcane
Which Yuzu versions are you using?

Tyrant Belial: One of the 72 demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon. He is a great king who leads 50 armies. He was originally a Seraphim, a high-ranking angel, but lost in a political dispute of Heaven and fell from grace.

Lady Ishtar: An Akkadian goddess of lust and war. In the "Epic of Gilgamesh," she made lovers out of many heroes, but after a while she would kill them or change them into animals.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
See you on the other site!

Also, 720p+ fucks up the Shaders in Ryujinx. So 720p is the way to go at the moemnt.

Screenshot-3988.png

Sentinel

Arcane
Why are you using Ryujinx? There's no shader cache, you're going to get stutter out the ass. Plus from reading around it has issues rendering spell FX. Yuzu has upscaling that works and no visual issues that I experienced so far.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Why are you using Ryujinx? There's no shader cache, you're going to get stutter out the ass. Plus from reading around it has issues rendering spell FX. Yuzu has upscaling that works and no visual issues that I experienced so far.

Had to get through the buggy "Choose your name"-screen in Ryujinx first, since Yuzu just softlocks your game there. You can save your game at a very early point then, and go back to Yuzu.

Sentinel

Arcane
So... how is it?
's alright. Nothing mindblowing.
I hate the fact that buffs/debuffs are single-target now. Really makes the buffs particularly worthless since you can't control who the enemy AI is going to target.
For whatever reason you can't skip the "party change" animations in combat, which makes changing a party member take like 10 seconds when it could take 2.

tet666

Augur
Btw all cutscenes seem to be prerendered movies in 30 fps, i was confused at first why the game didn't look any better at 3x resolution because of that.

Retardo

Learned
So... how is it?

GOOD.
Graphics are a mixed bag, with great art direction and style, but horrible AA, bloom/blur/whatever and texture pop-ins.
I've beaten the first abscess and it feels a bit easier than nocturne so far. That mechanic of striking monsters with weapon in overworld a la persona is decline.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm around 6 hours in.

The game feels nice to play but it doesn't feel like SMT to me. Every positive I can think of related to this game is about demon modeling/animation/world art. The story and characters so far are pretty dumb - guy who met you once when you were "normal" instantly recognizes you when you are transformed, doesn't even ask any questions about what is going on; the side characters get title-card introductions, say "hi" to you and immediately disappear lol.

The world is the worst I've experienced in an SMT game so far. In past games shit got fucked and you saw the effect it had on people. In SMTV you don't see anything - the world is mere set dressing. There is no one around. Even Nocturne had souls of the dead that you could talk to.

The only song in the OST I liked so far was the chill theme that plays in the desert. Everything else is borderline noise buttrock that makes me want to lower the volume.

I don't like the Essence Fusion system so far because 1) it isn't explained to you how exactly you get essences and 2) they are vital to determine your resistances. Since you get essences from demons, if you want to tackle a challenge and you need to change your resistances around, you will basically have to go around looking for a demon that has the resistances you want, recruit it and grind it (i think) hoping you get its essence. It's completely inferior to simply having equipment you can buy at a shop.

I like that they didn't make "Glory" (which is basically app points from smt4) a reward for level ups and instead made it dependant on exploration, which is improved with chests and items to find all over. The only addition here seems to be the jump button.

Oh also, compendium summon costs in this game are completely fucking retarded. I feel like ATLUS wants you to buy the money DLC really hard.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
The more I read it the more it feels like a modernized Nocturne, only more gay. Which is fine.

Did you guys got it on Switch? I'll see if there's some special pre-order bonus or something.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Totally enthralled by the first hour. I'm fed up with Persona school life day by day rhythm, so the more open structure is right up my alley. Let's fucking go, bitches.

Sentinel

Arcane
Pro tip: buy spy glasses, and if you see a mitama out in the open world, chase after it. use the spy glass and kill it. they'll give much needed relics.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Having a shit ton of fun as usual with SMT games, story fags beware, i saw like 10 min of actual story in 5 hours of gameplay so unless you enjoy fusing demons and exploring, this isn't the game for you. I love the kind of games that makes you feel like a stranger in a strange land, something that 4 and 4 Final never made me feel but this game does. In the sound department Kozuka has done it again and the sound design fits perfectly at all times, haven't fought a proper boss yet so i'm looking forward to listen to the boss theme.

I'm now leaving the internet until i finish this game, see you all in a month.

Why are you using Ryujinx?

Maybe it's just because I'm using Linux / AMD card but Ryujinx runs better and more stable so far. Yuzu/OpenGL crashed a few times in certain points and Yuzu/Vulkan has 'transparent' screen - it 'melts' with my desktop wallpaper.

I'll try to go back to Yuzu further into the geam for moar testing but so far, Ryujinx wins.

I'm around 6 hours in.
The only song in the OST I liked so far was the chill theme that plays in the desert. Everything else is borderline noise buttrock that makes me want to lower the volume.

World map music is excellent, strong Digital Devil Saga vibe.

Last edited:

dacencora

Having a shit ton of fun as usual with SMT games, story fags beware, i saw like 10 min of actual story in 5 hours of gameplay so unless you enjoy fusing demons and exploring, this isn't the game for you. I love the kind of games that makes you feel like a stranger in a strange land, something that 4 and 4 Final never made me feel but this game does. In the sound department Kozuka has done it again and the sound design fits perfectly at all times, haven't fought a proper boss yet so i'm looking forward to listen to the boss theme.

I'm now leaving the internet until i finish this game, see you all in a month.
Glad to hear that. That was the biggest bother for me with SMT4. It was a bit too mundane. It didn’t feel otherworldly like Nocturne and Strange Journey. It’s more fun the more bizarre it is.

Hohenheim

Novice
Yep, but u need to launch game on ruyjinx first and get to the save point (about first 10 minutes) coz of software keyboard on yuzu deadlock emu. Than you can copy-paste save file from one folder to another and properly play on yuzu.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Btw playing the game in ryujinx is the only way to get correct graphics atm, gustave's room is a good way to illustrate this:

Yuzu vulkan with broken shaders:

Yw6k3aZ.png

Yuzu opengl (glasm) textures are not loading correctly:

S5ry8A4.png

ryujinx opengl everything looks as it should:

q0y6qdl.png

Edit: Upscaling is already fixed in Ryujinx so no need to use 1x anymore.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, but u need to launch game on ruyjinx first and get to the save point (about first 10 minutes) coz of software keyboard on yuzu deadlock emu. Than you can copy-paste save file from one folder to another and properly play on yuzu.

Should we expect that they fix that error on yuzu soon ? I can wait some days or weeks to play the game.

tet666

Augur

Should we expect that they fix that error on yuzu soon ? I can wait some days or weeks to play the game.

Probably at or after release but Ryujinx devs are already putting out fixes for the game it's pretty much flawless now, shader stuttering is a bit annoying but apart from that it's the better emu to use for this game atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom