Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated

Mothman is a great example of how much thought and effort is put into the demon design

He's purposefully alien-looking because the areas where he was sighted irl also happen to be UFO hot spots.
Brand new players of the game: do you think you'll choose the original campaign (Canon of Creation), or the new campaign (Canon of Vengeance)? I'm definitely leaning more towards Canon of Vengeance myself, particularly because it seems that's where the new large dungeon is being added into the game, if I understand correctly?
I'll be playing canon of creation first. Don't mind sharing spoiler-free first impressions in the thread.

MakenBro

Literate
I watched some bits of the livestream and the gameplay looks noticeably snappier compared to the original release.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

Mothman is a great example of how much thought and effort is put into the demon design

He's purposefully alien-looking because the areas where he was sighted irl also happen to be UFO hot spots.
Brand new players of the game: do you think you'll choose the original campaign (Canon of Creation), or the new campaign (Canon of Vengeance)? I'm definitely leaning more towards Canon of Vengeance myself, particularly because it seems that's where the new large dungeon is being added into the game, if I understand correctly?
I'll be playing canon of creation first. Don't mind sharing spoiler-free first impressions in the thread.

I do wonder if Tao will actually join you as a Guest character in the 2nd area of the original route. How hard could it be to implement something like that, huh? Atlus? Please?

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated

I do wonder if Tao will actually join you as a Guest character in the 2nd area of the original route. How hard could it be to implement something like that, huh? Atlus? Please?

I'm actually totally fine with keeping the original route mostly untouched. Catherine: Fully Body (which isn't SMT but was developed by the Persona team) didn't have the option to play the original route without the new story content which I think hurts the game if its your first time with it.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Are the SMT storylines related between games or are they generally stand alone?
Essentially standalone, except for SMT IV and SMT IV Apocalypse. SMT II does take place after the events of SMT, but there's very little in the way of continuity. There's connections, but rarely anything direct.

AshenNedra

Educated
Hello folks.

I quit console gaming 15 years ago or so. Nevertheless, I loved the only two SMT games I played with a passion: SMT 3 nightmare edition or sthg (the one with the tattooed protagonist, Dante from devil may cry, and the very well written devil in a wheelchair) and its direct sequel when you no longer summons demons but become half-demon yourselves.

Much more so the former.

I don't even remember where I stored my consoles and don't intend to buy a Switch.

Is this great looking game available on some kind of emulator? If so, what specs should my PC have to run it smoothly?

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is this great looking game available on some kind of emulator? If so, what specs should my PC have to run it smoothly?
I ran the switch version emulated on a 1050ti when I tried a few years ago, but it was just barely acceptable; only played a bit. Recently tried the opening on my 3060 and it went well. But this new version should be a decent upgrade for PC. So I’m glad I waited (if they don’t ruin it with OP items etc)..

AshenNedra

Educated
I ran the switch version emulated on a 1050ti when I tried a few years ago, but it was just barely acceptable; only played a bit. Recently tried the opening bit on my 3060 and it went well. But this new version should be a decent upgrade for PC. So I’m glad I waited (if they don’t ruin it with OP items etc)..
Many thanks. Could I ask you for the name of the emulator and where to find it?

Edit: oh nevermind, I see now that a PC version is scheduled to be release on June 14 of this year.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Could I ask you for the name of the emulator and where to find it?
I’ll PM you in a bit with the emulator and some links for the game when I’m home soon, unless you find them first. You should consider the new version though (maybe our resident Oprah-type can gift you a copy). Either way it seems like the definitive version to wait for.

MakenBro

Literate

Yeah, it's a bit weird that guest characters won't be a thing in the original route. Story-wise, Tao, Yuzuru and Dazai could join you temporarily in Shinagawa/the school, and there's no reason for Dazai not to be a guest in Chiyoda. And, arguably, Yuzuru could join you from the first area.

d1r

Patron
This game plans to unlock in approximately 2 weeks

Team #Susano-O
1TF1tF4.jpeg

Last edited:

d1r

Patron
That song in the "Making of the Masks" video is absolutely insane. Hope it's a new one from the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom