Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I get Gat out of Hell?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Do you like shit cashgrab mini-expansions? If so, knock yourself out. Bear in mind SR4 was planned to be an expansion for SR3 but Derp Silver wanted to milk it for full retail price since they acquired the IP from THQ.

THQ were the ones who turned an expansion into a full priced game when they were at death's door. Deep Silver just released it.

deuxhero

Arcane
So they are doing another Saints Row free weekend. I have 4. Anyone want to co-op the campaign with me?

Put this mod in the install directory (It's a tiny file that unlocks extra color options for clothing, most notably a real white and black while the original game only allows "lightish gray" and "darkish gray", otherwise I'd be invisible) and send me a friend request (steam name is the same).

https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/extra-clothing-colors-and-extra-makeup-colors.3215/

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just droped in to see what condition my condition was in...and to tell you gat out of hell is dman awesome, lots of fun activities like salvación and the flight mechanics are great fun, any SR4 ought to check it out

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Mini-reviw: So I'm playing it now. It appears to be bigger than I thought it would be. There are about 6 islands kind of like Steelport, each has mostly activities and weapon stores. So far, no clothing, plastic surgeons, auto repairs, or anything else. So it appears you start as Johny Gatt or Kenzie, and there they stay. You can switch between either character at any time, so if one gets too annoying (and I never cared for either) you can just switch. The thrust is "The Boss" from SR4 has been kidnapped by Satan (nice touch: the Boss that was kidnapped was exactly the same as my SR4 Char that finished SR4.) The Boss will have to marry Satan's Daughter unless you can stop it. So Gatt and Kenzie are sent to Hell to cause enough mayhem to draw out Satan and kill him.

The city is not the same map they used in SR3 and 4, which is a nice change. It’s more sprawling than big, with tasks spread out over a large mass. Makes me wonder why they didn’t make it a full game. They went far enough to design new cars, creatures, and retextured everything. They have a leveling system, you can upgrade abilities and powers, and it appears to have a lot of things to do. Just they went for $20 instead of $60. I would have thought that most of the effort would have been in the 80% of a full game they did here…

If you liked the challenges in SR4, you’ll like the challenges here. If you didn’t, well, they are slightly tweaked to take advantage of the location. They seem a little better, from what I’ve seen. The “survival challenges” are exactly the same. The “insurance fraud” felt more fun. More vehicles explode and you get points for being on fire. If you liked pin wheeling across the city for bonus points, trying to hit the next vehicle, it’s a lot more fun doing it while on fire.

There are super powers to be unlocked in the game, same as in SR4. You immediately get wings to fly, and super speed. The wings may seem like the flying in SR4, but they’ve made a significant improvement. As opposed to SR4 where you are always “falling”, with these wings you can maintain altitude or climb, as well as pull of some nice moves. Sounds difficult, but I only played for an hour or two and was pulling off some nice maneuvers. For me, is that you must take super speed as one of your powers. Honestly, I felt the running in the first game greatly diminished the driving component. Yes, using it is optional, but it feels kind of unnecessary. Does leave a nice trail of fire behind you, though.

The powers are modified versions of the SR4 counterparts. Appears that you’ll get 8, and the first two are immediately unlocked. You upgrade these by finding blue “Soul Clusters” – the same as “Data Clusters” in SR4.It’s the same as in SR4, but fun to get them with the wings. You get clusters which give you points to buy skill upgrades, and it’s kind of cool to hit 12 all over the map before running out of stamina. It appears there are 5 boss challenges that unlock more powers, but I haven’t tried them yet.

Is it worth $20? If you are a fan of SR3 and 4: Absolutely. I’ve played for two hours and spent most of it running around discovering things, haven’t really tackled the challenges yet. I just like the mayhem and using the powers I have now. There are things missing and I'm not sure if they will pop up later: stores, other chars, witty banter, all-in-all things unrelated to fighting are absent, mostly.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Anybody else end up playing this? It's 33% off right now and I'm thinking about picking it up. Disappointed I can't make my own character or play Barbies, but I like the gameplay of the series as well as the writing - I thought it got sharper and funnier with each new game (DLC excepted). Glad to know I can play as Kinzie at least most of the time as Gat is by far SR's most boring character. Any other comments out there? How many hours did you get out of it?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Anybody else end up playing this? It's 33% off right now and I'm thinking about picking it up. Disappointed I can't make my own character or play Barbies, but I like the gameplay of the series as well as the writing - I thought it got sharper and funnier with each new game (DLC excepted). Glad to know I can play as Kinzie at least most of the time as Gat is by far SR's most boring character. Any other comments out there? How many hours did you get out of it?

Well, I paid... $20 or less for this and got 14 hours of play out of it. Not bad, considering I really enjoyed the fly mechanic. However, you are right on the spot in saying that a) Gatt is the worst character in the franchise (with Kinzie a close second) and b) the sharpness and funniness is mostly in character interaction, and there is very, very little. There is an achievement for playing 20 hours, and I can guarantee I won't get it. Not that I didn't like the game, but that it should have been a full game with everything included. They had an entire city, new creatures, new art, all that. Seems like kind of a waste. They should have your character from SR3 or 4 go to hell. Why not? Why not add some stores? Would it have killed them?

Like I said, worth it if you liked SR4, but doesn't add anything to the franchise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom