Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Somebody mentioned it here in some other topic (or even this one possibly), but this is probably because the current generation of game designers got raised on video games rather than on geek/nerd shit like PnP RPG, tabletop wargaming and good contemporary science fiction like the previous one did. The previous generation were pioneers seeking to experiment with new shit, now you have copycats without any capability to experiment or be truly creative.

That's to be expected in today's "education" system that prepares youngsters for the savage checklist-lifestyle of debt, consumerism and endless distraction and banality. There's not much room for personal development, experimentation and trial & error. The fascist overlords see no purpose in that. For efficiency reasons, of course.

It's like that thing Aldous Huxley was talking about.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
First gameplay look from E3
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...n--beyond-earth-first-look-gameplay-interview
UI is less of a clusterfuck that we saw in CivV and quite minimalistic.
tech web
S4HcnBf.png

Last edited:

exe

Augur
Literal CiV clone. Even down to the fuckstupid building gold maintenance.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No happiness=>no riots.
Entire branch of staple civilization features was cut off. In the end, Firazis will build their ideal Civ game - where you have only one type of building and have to choose - to spend your only resource on building units of upgrading a single structure...with DLC bonuses.

Zeriel

Arcane
Slav. Male. Authoritarian.
Gook. Female. Treehugging.

'sup Firaxis. Using subtle clichés isn't making this any less racist.

I don't think there's any cliche involving female gooks being treehuggers.

Tech tree, sorry "web", looks a lot like the one from Endless Space.

I find it very similar, too.

Interface is pretty similar, too. Copying Endless Space doesn't seem very smart to me--it's so anodyne and without character. Then again, "not interesting" seems to be a design goal of modern gaming, so what do I know.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn, it does look like just a mod for Civ5.
And techtree is dull. Where are all the cool names and ideas and wacky technobabble?

it's a mod, what were you expecting?
Had hoped for some non-war ways of interacting - both positively, like open borders and trade from CIV, and negatively like embargoes and shit. Though even those two examples are pretty bare bones. War should be a last resort option but new civ is like an RTS, where war is the only way of interacting. (the alternatives are largely cosmetic)

it's a mod, what were you expecting?
Had hoped for some non-war ways of interacting - both positively, like open borders and trade from CIV, and negatively like embargoes and shit. Though even those two examples are pretty bare bones. War should be a last resort option but new civ is like an RTS, where war is the only way of interacting. (the alternatives are largely cosmetic)
because it's a mod, always known it should had been a mod.
what were you expecting?

Thane Solus

Arcane
compared to the shovelware we get these days, firaxis actually delivers good (mediocre) games for PC, unfortunately they have some dumb fuck editorials and producers, which ruin everything so they can port to consoles, but overall compared to other similar studious, they actually release good games. Yes, they are dumbed down, yes they do cash grab with DLCs, but their games are good enough compared to others. I actually dont remember other similar studious releasing anything decent for PC in the last 5 years...

You guys are too edgy.... Oh wait, this is Codex, where we dont like Bioware Bloatware but we make 500 pages threads for their games...

My BAD!
:dead:

well, you see, every 4 years olympic games are celebrated, it's been like this for a very long time.
every result is being tracked and only those athletes who can at least vaguely compare to those results are sent to compete, or at least the best a nation can provide.
you're a good athlete if you can consistently be among the... let's say 10 best, but usually only the first three have any real coverage, often even only the first, and sometimes the first only if he managed to make a new world record.
what i'm trying to say is that we have our gaming world records already and don't see why we should praise a terrible athlete who can't come even close to those records only because his competitors are as rubbish as him.

it's not a matter of being edgy, it's a matter of not being a lobotomized retarded.

Last edited:

Torrasque01

Augur
compared to the shovelware we get these days, firaxis actually delivers good (mediocre) games for PC, unfortunately they have some dumb fuck editorials and producers, which ruin everything so they can port to consoles, but overall compared to other similar studious, they actually release good games. Yes, they are dumbed down, yes they do cash grab with DLCs, but their games are good enough compared to others. I actually dont remember other similar studious releasing anything decent for PC in the last 5 years...

You guys are too edgy.... Oh wait, this is Codex, where we dont like Bioware Bloatware but we make 500 pages threads for their games...

My BAD!

CK2, Vic2, DH and Distant Worlds are much better strategy games than this garbage. All from the last 5 years.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Thane Solus

Arcane

My BAD!

CK2, Vic2, DH and Distant Worlds are much better strategy games than this garbage. All from the last 5 years.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Yes and no, while i like some of the features that CK2, Vic2 have, they are deeply flawed same as CIV 5/Xcom EW, i like them all in the end, but Paradox while they make interesting niche games, they have almost no QA and their DLC milking is ridiculous, still i am glad they exist, they make good niche complex strategy games but the city building/management and combat always made me not play enough of their games, the diplomacy and politics are pretty damn good, probably the best at moment.

Thane Solus

Arcane
well, you see, every 4 years olympic games are celebrated, it's been like this for a very long time.
every result is being tracked and only those athletes who can at least vaguely compare to those results are sent to compete, or at least the best a nation can provide.
you're a good athlete if you can consistently be among the... let's say 10 best, but usually only the first three have any real coverage, often even only the first, and sometimes the first only if he managed to make a new world record.
what i'm trying to say is that we have our gaming world records already and don't see why we should praise a terrible athlete who can't come even close to those records only because his competitors are as rubbish as him.

it's not a matter of being edgy, it's a matter of not being a lobotomized retarded.

Sorry mate but while i am goin full edgy on these whorums too, the subjective retardation i see in these threads its too much, but objectivity on Codex its almost non existent, so yeah... I am not a big fan of firaxis, i wanted to kill them when i saw what they did with X-Com, but in time they redeemed them selfs somewhat with EW, but still far from being a proper sequel, but tbh i played it to death, even with its many flaws, and shity pop a mole design decisions.

So while i am not a fan, and i hate many of their decisions, i can try to stay objective, and see that in end they made a few good games lately.

by being truly "objective" you have to give the same weight to pros and cons, yet you yourself say "i wanted to kill them when i saw what they did" and "i'm not a fan and i hate many of their decisions".
now, tell me again what they did better than x-com and alpha centauri.

Torrasque01

Augur
Yes and no, while i like some of the features that CK2, Vic2 have, they are deeply flawed same as CIV 5/Xcom EW, i like them all in the end, but Paradox while they make interesting niche games, they have almost no QA and their DLC milking is ridiculous, still i am glad they exist, they make good niche complex strategy games but the city building/management and combat always made me not play enough of their games, the diplomacy and politics are pretty damn good, probably the best at moment.

Please tell me what those deep flaws are and compare them the facts that 1UPT guaranteed Civ5 was never going to be more than a mediocre multiplayer offering(the AI can't deal with it), or that there's no simulation on the geoscape and the aliens just sit there until you discover them and then they get free turns, or the general popamole gameplay, or the fact that it's a "strategy" game that controls better with a gamepad. At least Paradox makes honest-to-goodness PC games with complexity and simulation that causes actual emergence to happen.

They are not immune to decline however. EU4 was unplayably bad on release(or shortly after due to patching) and I'm not sure they made it better. Then they completely dropped support for Vicky 2, probably their best game in favor of DLC milking for CK2 and EU4 their moneymakers. And they are not very niche any more. They have huge numbers in sales now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom