Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

baba is you

Educated
Huh, I saw the ending. Hmm... there are a lot of people who haven't seen the ending yet, so I don't have much to say. There was a part of the story that I didn't understand in the second half.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Huh, I saw the ending. Hmm... there are a lot of people who haven't seen the ending yet, so I don't have much to say. There was a part of the story that I didn't understand in the second half.
So, how long was the game for you? HLTB claims it takes 15 hours to complete the main story plus some side content, but it's based on one testimony, so not really worth that much.

baba is you

Educated
So, how long was the game for you? HLTB claims it takes 15 hours to complete the main story plus some side content, but it's based on one testimony, so not really worth that much.
I don't live in an English-speaking country, so I have to interpret English. Therefore, my play time tends to be inflated. But if you're still curious... If you do the sub-quest and main quest at the same time, it took about 30 hours.

notpl

Arbiter
Another thing I'm not seeing people posting about enough is the difficulty system. To anyone who hasn't played yet: literally the ONLY thing that changes with difficulty is the amount of dice fudging. On "Easy" your party rolls three times for everything and uses the best result, on "Hard" the enemies do it instead. There is zero modification to enemy behavior, encounter size or type, anything. The difficulty is ENTIRELY in dice weighting. And the system is 2d6-based, so a reroll is much more significant than it is in a d20 system, for example. On "Hard" enemies simply don't miss. It's one of the most bizarre ideas I've ever seen in an RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane
For anyone that finds the pixel art too sharp and the inbuilt CRT mode too shit inadequate, ReShade can provide a few filters that work well:

ReShade

RetroArch's CRT Royal ported to ReShade

Screenshot-68.png

Screenshot-69.png
It doesnt look half bad with my new settings, for 4K full screen:
P9XuRNo.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Had a bit of free time so I figured I might take a stab at the palette a bit while I wait for the game to get patched. Dialing it as I go along, that’s why the greens are kinda overblown on the second screen but seem to work better after I dialed them in on the third context.
Not 100% happy with the CRT yet.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Had a bit of free time so I figured I might take a stab at the palette a bit while I wait for the game to get patched. Dialing it as I go along, that’s why the greens are kinda overblown on the second screen but seem to work better after I dialed them in on the third context.
Not 100% happy with the CRT yet.

This first one here is amazeballs. Looks REALLY good, can you post up your ReShade config/settings for us to download? I would be highly interested in this one, it smooths out the ugly quite nicely...

AdolfSatan

Arcane
First one is literally just the game with all its included effects disabled, lol.
I can’t stand that greenish shade of brown, it looks sick (in a bad way).

notpl

Arbiter
Are their any npc heirophants or guildmagos's? Or should I just buy the stupid mercs to get thos? Annoyed that I'm I chapter 2 level 10 and still don't have a full party.
You don't need either, the caster classes are terrible. A full party of officers would probably sweep the game clean.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
so you can level up in middle of combat and gain full recovery that way :hmmm:

spell casters indeed seems trash at least early, Roland carrying whole party so far
thief lady would be more useful if you would get more arrows

Mortmal

Arcane
so you can level up in middle of combat and gain full recovery that way :hmmm:

spell casters indeed seems trash at least early, Roland carrying whole party so far
thief lady would be more useful if you would get more arrows
You will be drowning in arrows by the time you reach Horryn. Look for many vendors in the Undercity; one of the overland map encounters is an arms merchant selling them too. The smuggler cave also has some. Speaking of vendors, thieving gets you the best pieces very easily. The ones having huge issues are the mages. One tier 3 spell for my magos and half its mana pool is gone, with too little damage and some debuffs.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mages are quite useful late game where a lot of enemies have resistance to physical damage. I'm making quite good use of the mage companion you get late game for these sections.

I specced her for Air and Fire. Fireballs seem to do a decent chunk of damage.

Mortmal

Arcane
A dude’s been compiling a list of spells with added comments; might be helpful until there’s a manual, specially with how frustrating character creation is, not being able to go back and all that:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kEfuXeVCZPpp3SFyF0OWcRqIIU/edit#gid=764152868
Usefull but
Thunderclap3018EnemiesAllenemiesLesser Blindness, Deafened, Mute, Stunned, 6-8 Magical, Kinetic5/5Congratulations, sit at the back, cast this spell, watch your team mop up the permastunned enemies
I dont see them permastunned unfortunately.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A dude’s been compiling a list of spells with added comments; might be helpful until there’s a manual, specially with how frustrating character creation is, not being able to go back and all that:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kEfuXeVCZPpp3SFyF0OWcRqIIU/edit#gid=764152868
Usefull but
Thunderclap3018EnemiesAllenemiesLesser Blindness, Deafened, Mute, Stunned, 6-8 Magical, Kinetic5/5Congratulations, sit at the back, cast this spell, watch your team mop up the permastunned enemies

They get stunned for 1 round, but you can just cast it again. It doesn't seem to have diminishing returns.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mages are quite useful late game where a lot of enemies have resistance to physical damage. I'm making quite good use of the mage companion you get late game for these sections.

Any experience with the gishes? I love gishes generally, but in games like this with scaling leveling they can be a trap. I'm worried Champion or Battlemagos will be underpowered later. Champion seems like a shoe-in for PC in this game though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Any experience with the gishes? I love gishes generally, but in games like this with scaling leveling they can be a trap. I'm worried Champion or Battlemagos will be underpowered later. Champion seems like a shoe-in for PC in this game though.

Armsmaster and Officer seem to be king. The companion Hospitaller (Warrior/Cleric hybrid) has a pretty awful skill tree.

Seems like people in this thread have commented the hybrids are generally pretty poor.

Falksi

Arcane
I get the feeling this is doing well, as I'm seeing threads posted about it in general RPG groups on Facebook.

Just downloading it myself now, hyped by what I've seen so far and desperately need a tonic after playing the dire Disco Elysium.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Just completed the game. Took 20 hours to do everything.

Enjoyed it a lot overall. Has some weak areas such as itemisation, poor mid-late game balance and poor writing polish (typos/grammatical errors).

Overall a very unique game setting wise. It does capture the lovecraftian feel well, and it makes me wish we had more CRPGs with a focus on horror.

Ending is pretty grim. No one gets a happy ending. The world is saved (at least for a time) at the total cost of the protagonist and all his allies. If by some miracle any of them did survive they'd be gibbering wrecks both mentally and physically.

Bladderfish

Augur
I'm finding this game impressive enough for me to post on the Codex for the first time in several years.

Only a few hours in, but the game has a unique feel - cosmic horror mixed with fantasy - that elevates it above its contemporaries right from the off. Combat is clunky and simple at the moment, but it isn't a walk in the park and I'd imagine it gets more involved the larger the party becomes. Writing is excellent imo. Not too verbose and intriguing enough to hook you into a quest via the tone of what is happening rather than just the need to get more exp and cleave one's way forward. Music is also rather pleasing and retro. Not amazing, but appropriate for the game, adding to the feel.

As for the complaints about graphics and coloring... I don't really give a shit tbh. Seems fine to me.

Good stuff. Will see how it goes.

Trash Player

Augur
I mean, what is the deal with people complaining about casters being bad? I don't regret playing a mage at all. Fire is pretty bad but the other 2 are gamebreakers.
CC in this game at least works until the end of the victim's own turn, so it is easy to set up for backstab. Attunement is a non-issue past early game due to the abundance of crafted potions.
The same deal with bows. Arrow availability is a non-issue if one bother to buy them. They become obscene later on, hitting almost as hard as a melee 2 hander but always attack fully due to not moving.
Officer's ability to give bonus attacks provides the same buff as frenzy potions and the fire spells. The tier 3 version can be spammed every turn, with self damages that are irrelevant later on with the abundance of healing.
I guess people are just not playing the game past the first few hours.

Mortmal

Arcane
Usefull but

They get stunned for 1 round, but you can just cast it again. It doesn't seem to have diminishing returns.
You can do it twice only before exhausting all your mana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom