Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The comment about Solitude being a real city really makes me think it's a troll. Well, perhaps it would be a real city if it had more than 5 people inhabiting it. Skyrim suffers from the "empty cities" syndrome just as much as Oblivion, which is not surprising considering it's the same engine and the same console hardware limitations.

Crooked Bee said:
halflingbarbarian said:
Sorry, you might not have intended it but your use of contrast was obvious in comparing the simplicity of Skyrim dungeons to the complexity of Daggerfall dungeons. Implicit, but it's there. Read? Harder. Btw I won't reply to any more discussion on semantics, unless it has something of value to the main discussion of the thread.

:lol: Lol, you're stupid.

Okay. 'Lol'.

Phelot

Arcane
Heh. I figured OP was going to be a snarky, sarcastic take on Skyrim. I think OP is a little too generous, but I still agree. I think Skyrim, like Oblivion, has something of a "honeymoon" phase were the game seems awesome beyond belief until you realize... it's not. I've played for maybe 10 hours or so, but I've already begun to see the end of the fun.

Yeah, that's right, I said fun, because the game is fun (despite me claiming I had no interest in it, Codex tricked me once again with their vague praises :lol: )

My biggest complaint is the loss of the attributes as well as the continued trimming of skills. Bethesda's response to broken or imbalanced skills is apparently to eliminate them and even when a skill had a practical use, they are still, for some reason, consolidated into one skill. Very sad to see and I think it eliminates any need for replaying different builds. At this point, I'm playing as a generic warrior that also ups his lockpicking skills, but I can only imagine playing as a mage next. What else is there to do?

The perks are just terrible, but I wonder if it's because I'm focusing on warrior type stuff. They seem to consist of boring crap like +15% damage and from what I've been hearing, there isn't much good that comes from the power attack unlocking. Maybe the magic perks are better.

But yeah, the dungeons so far have been impressive and I haven't noticed the level scaling that much yet. I mean, I entered into some cave with trolls (trolls, right? I don't really recall the name) and they made short work of me. I was surprised to see that. Also, same story with the giants. I can't seem to go anywhere, do anything like Oblivion did. VERY nice. For that matter, treasure does seem to be a little better, but like others have said, the economy is as retardedly broken as usual. There's just too much shit to sell and money is already becoming a none issue especially since there doesn't seem to be anything for me to buy other than a house which I'm not terribly interested in right now.

Well, in any case, it's fun for now. I just wish I could be more motivated to actually look forward to leveling up. In Morrowind and Daggerfall, there was nothing better than leveling up and seeing how your character has grown. Oblivion cheapened this with the level scaling and such and I'm very sad to see that I no longer have any fun gaining levels which is arguably one of the points to playing RPGs. This, of course, runs counter to my earlier claims that a game could call itself an RPG if it wanted... Skyrim is really pushing it calling itself an RPG...

Well, Skyrim has certainly exceeded my expectations, low as they were. It's given me both hope that Bethesda can still make a decent game, but it's obvious that they have little interest in the actual RPG mechanics. Certainly the next installment will clip even more things, but so long as they can give a decent sandbox world to play in, I'll be happy.

Gord

Arcane
Well, I feel that thanks to the perks there are more varied builds possible than before. However, the early perks are indeed pretty boring. Some of the higher level ones are more interesting.
Again a thing where I expect interesting mods.

TrustNo1

Scholar
torpid said:
But that was in the lore, not the quests (as far as I can recall). You had the Dunmer xenophobia as a backdrop, but the specific angle about Elves in conflict with Humans didn't form a quest line.

Dominion is Altmer, not Dunmer. Had to point this out, the comment gave me a seizure.

attackfighter

Magister
TrustNo1 said:
torpid said:
But that was in the lore, not the quests (as far as I can recall). You had the Dunmer xenophobia as a backdrop, but the specific angle about Elves in conflict with Humans didn't form a quest line.

Dominion is Altmer, not Dunmer. Had to point this out, the comment gave me a seizure.

Gah, what is with people misinterpreting blatant shit in this thread? He meant the Dunmer in Morrowind you fool! Not the Dominion in Skyrim!!!

Relay

Educated
Anyone who thinks the guilds aren't better in Skyrim than oblivion or even pretend they're worse, needs to get their heads checked. The thieves guild for example in oblivion took the lame robin hoodness to eleven, while the thieves guild in skyrim is a guild of scumbags who make shady deals, fuck merchants up, is co-ruling a city with an even more bitchy family.

Skyrim is what Oblivion should have been. It's not the greatest rpg ever, but it's a decent one. And it's MUCH better at being an RPG than anything made by bioware. DA2 and ME2 are like interactive movies compared to Skyrim.

MCA
Right now my biggest problem with Skyrim is that the way many quests are handled is over-simplistic and doesn't make much sense. Take, for instance, In My Time of Need:

In Whiterun, you witness Whiterun guards not permitting a small band of Redguard warriors to look for someone in the city and kicking them out. If you talk to them, they will ask you to tell them if you meet a Redguard woman they've been looking for. Now, there are at least a few Redguard women in Skyrim and how would you know which without getting each talking and pouring their hearts to you? Simple: when you talk to the right one, you get a "there's a bunch of Redguards looking for a Redguard woman" line right off the bat. Just like that. LOLWUT. Ok, perhaps they got word of a particular Redguard hoe in the city, right, even if there is an implication that they are looking for her all over Tamriel? Whatever, what's next is more troubling.

You get an option to rat out the hoe to the Redguard warriors or kill their leader for the hoe (which is her brilliant idea). Except, won't you be exposing yourself and screaming "hey morons I'm here lolololz" if you get their leader killed? They will send more and better guys the next time. I mean, they would in a game world that made sense.

Another one you can get early in the game:

You hear rumours that Jarl's son have gone goth&creepy on his father. You talk to Jarl and he tells you he's been acting strangely and refusing to talk to him any longer so would you please try to find out WTF is up with him? The kid rats out his secret to you the moment you speak to him. He's been listening to a "whispering lady" through a locked door that has been talking to the kid.

So you find this magically sealed door and the not-so-whispering pretentious-voice-that-you-can-not-skip tells you that it's Mephala and it's really really good at manipulating humans and tells you to open the door just because. MIND BOGGLES, BEST MANIPULATION EVER. Now, you go back to Jarl to tell and ask him the deal with the door and whispers, right? Except YOU DON'T GET AN OPTION TO TELL ANYTHING TO THE GUY WHO ASKED YOU TO FIND THE TRUTH. Not from him, his advisor, his bodyguard or his magician. FFS. When you go back to the kid, he tells you Jarl and the magician has keys and if you killed the magician, nobody would miss him. I pickpocketed the key, opened the door and found Ebony Blade with a note of warning from the household about the blade, urging to leave it there.

The entire thing felt so half assed.

I also wouldn't call the writing good. There are good parts, thematically and in prose but mostly it's very juvenile and bordering on the inane.

Black

Arcane
jancobblepot said:
I want to get som KKKs too... Should I bash Skyrim without playing it?

I'm pretty sure you can get 'som' KKKs by acting superior and anti-Codex on Codex.
It's all the rage nowadays, kids love it!

Phelot

Arcane
villain of the story said:
Right now my biggest problem with Skyrim is that the way many quests are handled is over-simplistic and doesn't make much sense. Take, for instance, In My Time of Need:

In Whiterun, you witness Whiterun guards not permitting a small band of Redguard warriors to look for someone in the city and kicking them out. If you talk to them, they will ask you to tell them if you meet a Redguard woman they've been looking for. Now, there are at least a few Redguard women in Skyrim and how would you know which without getting each talking and pouring their hearts to you? Simple: when you talk to the right one, you get a "there's a bunch of Redguards looking for a Redguard woman" line right off the bat. Just like that. LOLWUT.

This particular part is classic Bethesda. Reminds me of the PC knowing about the bomb in Megaton before anyone mentioning it and before ever seeing it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Twinfalls, keep playing it. You're not that far in; you're succumbing to the same thing that happened to me when I first started playing Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Fallout 3 and NV. Soon you're going to hit the wall.

And believe me, once you hit it, you'll hit it hard.

I absolutely agree with most everything you said. Out of the wrapper, Skyrim seems great. New shiny toy, ooh, they did this a little different, they did that a little different, hmm, they eliminated this but that's okay, it's so much fun to play...

It's still the same old shit from Bethesda.

Believe me, it pains me to say that. I can admit that because like you I have very fond memories of Daggerfall. The feeling of freedom, the sandboxey goodness -- in the end it all goes away. Skyrim soon started revealing its putrid fillings after getting through its sweet frosting, and the eventual result is the same as with Oblivion: there's no motivation to play anymore other than to just powergrind your way to the end.

The inns are all the same. The quests eventually reveal their blandness. The creatures are one after the other, all ragdolly stupidity. The voices eventually start to sound the same (because they are), the items, the locations, all the "special effects" they worked so hard on. None of them make a truly engaging game and yes, it's going to be up to someone like Obsidian to attempt to turn this new toy that Bethesda fucked up on into something worth playing with, again.

Some may consider this post a bit of a flip-flop for me, but I just consider it a (re)awakening. Shit's happened before the same way. I'll keep trudging away in the game, just for sake of curiosity and stubbornness, but the veil's been lifted and I can see anew the flaws inherent in everything that Bethesda touches.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now.

Captain Shrek

villain of the story said:

In Whiterun, you witness Whiterun guards not permitting a small band of Redguard warriors to look for someone in the city and kicking them out. If you talk to them, they will ask you to tell them if you meet a Redguard woman they've been looking for. Now, there are at least a few Redguard women in Skyrim and how would you know which without getting each talking and pouring their hearts to you? Simple: when you talk to the right one, you get a "there's a bunch of Redguards looking for a Redguard woman" line right off the bat. Just like that. LOLWUT. Ok, perhaps they got word of a particular Redguard hoe in the city, right, even if there is an implication that they are looking for her all over Tamriel? Whatever, what's next is more troubling.

You get an option to rat out the hoe to the Redguard warriors or kill their leader for the hoe (which is her brilliant idea). Except, won't you be exposing yourself and screaming "hey morons I'm here lolololz" if you get their leader killed? They will send more and better guys the next time. I mean, they would in a game world that made sense.

Another one you can get early in the game:

You hear rumours that Jarl's son have gone goth&creepy on his father. You talk to Jarl and he tells you he's been acting strangely and refusing to talk to him any longer so would you please try to find out WTF is up with him? The kid rats out his secret to you the moment you speak to him. He's been listening to a "whispering lady" through a locked door that has been talking to the kid.

So you find this magically sealed door and the not-so-whispering pretentious-voice-that-you-can-not-skip tells you that it's Mephala and it's really really good at manipulating humans and tells you to open the door just because. MIND BOGGLES, BEST MANIPULATION EVER. Now, you go back to Jarl to tell and ask him the deal with the door and whispers, right? Except YOU DON'T GET AN OPTION TO TELL ANYTHING TO THE GUY WHO ASKED YOU TO FIND THE TRUTH. Not from him, his advisor, his bodyguard or his magician. FFS. When you go back to the kid, he tells you Jarl and the magician has keys and if you killed the magician, nobody would miss him. I pickpocketed the key, opened the door and found Ebony Blade with a note of warning from the household about the blade, urging to leave it there.

The entire thing felt so half assed.

I also wouldn't call the writing good. There are good parts, thematically and in prose but mostly it's very juvenile and bordering on the inane.

Bathesda always has had retarded writing. Thank goodness the world design is not oo bad.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Did VD mention somewhere that Skyrim was good or something? Because that drone Twinfalls never crawls out of its hole without the overlord first stating an opinion that could be instantly delivered to the masses.

Black

Arcane
He said it's better than Oblivion but still shit.
Let's hope he went back to working on AoD now.

TrustNo1

Scholar
attackfighter said:
TrustNo1 said:
torpid said:

Gah, what is with people misinterpreting blatant shit in this thread? He meant the Dunmer in Morrowind you fool! Not the Dominion in Skyrim!!!

Yeah, but Dunmer xenophobia in Morrowind is not the same as Dominion supremacism in Skyrim. Because the first concerns the Dunmer, while the latter concerns the Altmer. While both races are elves, they are not the same thing. Dominion probably despise the Dunmer and visa versa.

Phelot

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Did VD mention somewhere that Skyrim was good or something? Because that drone Twinfalls never crawls out of its hole without the overlord first stating an opinion that could be instantly delivered to the masses.

Huh? Pretty sure I've seen VD and Twinfalls duke it out before.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
torpid said:

I dunno, I'd say the importance of the Comonna Tong in both the Thieves and Fighters guild plotlines would count. I guess it's not explicitly a Dunmer vs. outsiders thing, but that's basically what the Comonna Tong is all about, so...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Another shitty thread dedicated to a shittyy game by shitty Betehsda so why am I so shitty that I decided to post so shittly in this shitty thread/ Why oh why Codex do you make everything and everyone shit even shitty 'ol me?

P.S. Skyrim is an ES game which means it autosucks and is worse than FO:LV.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What does BIO have to do with SKyrim or FO:LV? R00fles!

Not everything has to do with that company, you biowhore.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:

:what:

attackfighter

Magister
Volourn said:

Yes, give into your hate, feel your anger! Soon your journey to the dark side shall be complete.

MCA
Darth Roxor said:

VD said Skyrim isn't an RPG. Why? Because the character system is poor and there are no attributes. LOL. That and he had a generally poor understanding of what perks do and don't, probably because he wasn't interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom