Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Skyrim is getting The Most Definitive Re-re-re-release once again at 11.11.2021

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It. Is. A Joke?
Just tell me.

Razor

Arcane
DuN1EDw.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
What happened with Zenimax?
I was mainly referring to the way in which Robert Altman got the original founder of Bethesda (Christopher Weaver, with whom he co-founded Zenimax itself) fired from his own company, the consequent suit and countersuits, and his background of involvement with the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) which ended in a settlement that required his being permanently banned from banking. The BCCI regularly provided banking services for drug cartels, terrorists, dictators, and very likely human traffickers, basically the black market, silenced people, paid off officials, &c. The BCCI auditor discovered what he described as "probably one of the most complex deceptions in banking history". This information is publicly available - just imagine what we don't know? His swan song was certainly the sale to Microsoft, and the little eulogy Todd shared when he died earlier this year was classic, acting like the guy was a hero.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I was mainly referring to the way in which Robert Altman got the original founder of Bethesda (Christopher Weaver, with whom he co-founded Zenimax itself) fired from his own company, the consequent suit and countersuits, and his background of involvement with the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) which ended in a settlement that required his being permanently banned from banking. The BCCI regularly provided banking services for drug cartels, terrorists, dictators, and very likely human traffickers, basically the black market, silenced people, paid off officials, &c. The BCCI auditor discovered what he described as "probably one of the most complex deceptions in banking history". This information is publicly available - just imagine what we don't know? His swan song was certainly the sale to Microsoft, and the little eulogy Todd shared when he died earlier this year was classic, acting like the guy was a hero.

Why audio is being interraptd at every turn with bazinga! and other shit? It's because of copyrigth or something?
It's not very accessible for the foreighner's ear in the first place, so this pretty irritating.

Ash

Arcane
So with all these rereleases it must have come a long way and must surely be a good, deep, engaging & worthwhile game now, right?

:negative:

Caim

Arcane
So with all these rereleases it must have come a long way and must surely be a good, deep, engaging & worthwhile game now, right?

:negative:
The intentionally vaguely worded promise of more content might make the game significantly better, but then again I also might win the lottery this week. Both are possible, but neither are very likely.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Why audio is being interraptd at every turn with bazinga! and other shit? It's because of copyrigth or something?
It's not very accessible for the foreighner's ear in the first place, so this pretty irritating.

That's why I quit listening two minutes in. Its garbage. They interrupt each other with retarded jokes as well. I couldn't find any more videos though, there used to be a lot more, but they were scrubbed or buried because they talked about 9/11 and the US navy's investigation into BCCI.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's why I quit listening two minutes in. Its garbage. They interrupt each other with retarded jokes as well. I couldn't find any more videos though, there used to be a lot more, but they were scrubbed or buried because they talked about 9/11 and the US navy's investigation into BCCI.
Thanks for the heads up, I won't bother wasting my time listening to this if that's the case.

I haven't thought about the BCCI or the Altman bullshit in a while but it is a profoundly grotesque affair and ought to be more widely known, but as with most ugly or inconvenient truths it is unwelcome information. I can't even recall if I've seen a video covering that topic before so I was planning to check this one out; I believe I only ever read about it. You can be sure that Zenimax and Bethesda went out of their way to keep that association buried, as well as the beef with Weaver.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I found video of Altman's initial testimony before congress, in case anyone is interested in seeing the professional thief who ruined the Elder Scrolls lie under oath; in the video here it unfortunately cuts off with Clifford's opening and doesn't include Altman's statements nor could I find the rest of the video within YouTube, however the link below contains the entire morning session, and Altman begins to testify at approximately 2:27:00.

(I'm not sure how to embed this, unfortunately):

https://www.c-span.org/video/?21165-1/bcci-investigation-day-1

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

I found video of Altman's initial testimony before congress, in case anyone is interested in seeing the professional thief who ruined the Elder Scrolls lie under oath; in the video here it unfortunately cuts off with Clifford's opening and doesn't include Altman's statements nor could I find the rest of the video within YouTube, however the link below contains the entire morning session, and Altman begins to testify at approximately 2:27:00.

(I'm not sure how to embed this, unfortunately):

https://www.c-span.org/video/?21165-1/bcci-investigation-day-1

Could someone write in text what they say? or at least tldr version.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I've only bought Skyrim once, so I feel pretty left out.

Well, unless you count when my mom bought the Xbox 360 version for me at GameStop :lol:

Trippy

Novice

Very fascinating. You've led me down quite a rabbit hole here -- especially so since I initially thought you were referring to Robert Altman the filmmaker and really didn't get how he fit into all this.

Kinda speaks to how the 'decline' everyone feels is located not so much in the creatives, but the shadowy financing part of the industry, no? One can debate the vagaries of gameplay mechanics ad nauseum, but the fact that one of the biggest drivers of modern AAA design was financed literally by one of the biggest financial swindlers in modern history is... much more telling.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Todd doing the same thing Rockstar's doing with GTA 5.

Milking the cow until the udders fall off into a bloody stump.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kinda speaks to how the 'decline' everyone feels is located not so much in the creatives, but the shadowy financing part of the industry, no? One can debate the vagaries of gameplay mechanics ad nauseum, but the fact that one of the biggest drivers of modern AAA design was financed literally by one of the biggest financial swindlers in modern history is... much more telling.
As an outsider I have no way of confirming it, but from what I've read and learned over the years, it seems to be so.

I would assume the problem is on both ends, because for instance so much of what you see in the non-commercial art being shared has the same derivative, generic style to it that appears in so many video games, while the reading habits of people generally is being transformed and / or diminished by emulating the attention-grabbing methods of mainstream online journals and social media posting, which is itself mimicking the behavior that is practically enforced following the adopting of the deceptively "free" internet content advertising model popularized by Google.

That being said there seems to me to be no question that creativity is stifled by the economic concerns of studio financers. It seems that the trends in the video game industry towards simplicity, towards challenging dexterous control response as opposed to challenging the strategic mind, appealing to the herd at large roughly coincided with the introduction of Google and ever-decreasing computer prices. This is also approximately the same time that people like Altman caught wind of the potential market on the horizon and got involved.

In the early days of home computers, there were several reasons for and economic incentives to creating games which required patience and strategic thinking, because many of the people who owned computers were the very kind of people to whom these things are ideally marketed. These days games are heavily criticized for being extremely challenging and controversial if difficulty modes are added by request. Imagine something like Wizardry IV in todays gaming milieu? Imagine any game being released without tooltips and tutorials?

Nearly every single one of the major publishers and developers are eventually exposed as scandalous and to be run by utterly incompetent, and frequently sociopathic personalities. In Bethesda's case it was downright felonious, and an increasing number are joining that category. Art reflects the culture in which it is produced and our culture in decline sees our collective psychology mirrored in the garbage we consume.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom