Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, he has also poorly chosen his examples.
E.g. Bruma (framehouses) looked somewhat different from other towns, as did Anvil and Bravil (run-down).
Fun fact: the presumably Nord-inspired architecture of Bruma isn't that common in Skyrim, iirc...

I mentioned all of them, they're just focusing on the one that wasn't done as well to try and refute it all... I guess? Anyway the game says itself that Cheydinhal is Dunmer styled, if the artists didn't pull it off well enough for some people that's not my problem, it's theirs.

I certainly am not defending Oblivion's design style, which was shit.

Gord

Arcane
Well, it's not only a Bethesda game, but also it's the worst Bethesda game EVAR!, so everything about it has to be irredeemable shit without any merit and shouldn't be discussed (only damned) in any form lest you use precious KKK, right? :M

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, it's not only a Bethesda game, but also it's the worst Bethesda game EVAR!, so everything about it has to be irredeemable shit without any merit and shouldn't be discussed (only damned) in any form lest you use precious KKK, right?

:kingcomrade:

Xi

Arcane
I stick to my guns, Skyrim is far better than Oblivion in almost every conceivable way. Perfect? Not even close. Lot's of areas for improvement, but definitely a step in the right direction this time. I'm looking forward to ES6 using the new console hardware standard. It should be interesting.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I stick to my guns, Skyrim is far better than Oblivion in almost every conceivable way. Perfect? Not even close. Lot's of areas for improvement, but definitely a step in the right direction this time. I'm looking forward to ES6 using the new console hardware standard. It should be interesting.
To see how they'll fuck up again?

Absolutely.

Kahlis

Cipher
Weren't we hoping Bethesda would learn from the error of their ways after making Oblivion...

...and then after making Fallout 3...

...and then after New Vegas (which Todd Howard ignored and instead chose to play Bioshock 2).

I'm done.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It is a better game, but as pointed out in the video it is more dumbed down than even Oblivion was and even less of an RPG.

Gord

Arcane
Yes, although e.g. attributes were already not used much in Oblivion anyway.
Which is why they removed them, I guess.
And no, I don't consider this the right approach, but it's the most common unfortunately:
If it doesn't work, don't bother with fixing, remove it.

And guilds also followed the same stupid "do everything with every character" paradigm, already.

I actually like the introduction of the perk system in how it denies the player to be the master of everything.

Which of course let to day one mods fixing salient issues like turning dragon souls into perk points:retarded:

That the balance as usual sucks is another matter.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yes, although e.g. attributes were already not used much in Oblivion anyway.
Which is why they removed them, I guess.
And no, I don't consider this the right approach, but it's the most common unfortunately:
If it doesn't work, don't bother with fixing, remove it.

And guilds also followed the same stupid "do everything with every character" paradigm, already.

But at least in Oblivion you did more than 5 quests for a guild before becoming guild master.

DraQ

Arcane
Over-analysing is one thing, asserting that the artists and designers even cared and then setting out to prove it is another thing. It's plain and simple delusion.
And the author claims that where exactly?

He even states that he contacted Beth and was surprised that they didn't have consultant.

Of course, if they did have a consultant, then maybe Skyrim would have better material lore, no solid quicksilver, no corundum ore, and no malachite==glass.

We were doing almost exact same thing with one dude on TESF once, except with morrowind, with more focus on materials themselves and bigger picture than geographical details.

It worked out pretty well, and was p. fascinating sperg - in no place have we claimed that beth's crack team of highly trained geologists was behind it, studying the effects of impact of lump of exotic matter on geology.

people have now written essays on Turian sweat and the geographic composition of Skyrim.
To be fair, you can't really fap to geology, so at least the latter are sincere 'spergs, not thinly disguised derpsturbations.

Bethesda makes cities in Cyrodiil and Skyrim close to the Morrowind border a mix of local and Morrowind styles.
Ob-Cheydinhal03-Large.jpg

tumblr_m9f13l2wVQ1r29b3io1_500.png

Dude, just no.

No matter how charitable you are, nothing in Cheydinhal says "Dunmer architectural influences" even if you logically assume that Dunmer == Indoril, in this case due to geography and the fact that Indoril architecture is the least alien of all house styles.

Yes, there are subtle architectural differences between oblivious' "cities" (successfully crushed by huge identical totally not cathedrals), but the only one that can be actually said to have any sort of cultural background to it is Bruma, and I'm not even sure of that - it might be just snow.

Fuck, Anvil looks more "Dunmer" than Cheydinhal:
800px-OB-place-Anvil_02.jpg

Skyrim's Windhelm is better in this regard in that it doesn't try to pretend that it has architectural influences or anything.
Grey Quarter is just a slum full of disgruntled Dunmer refugees who settled there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dude, just no.

They say in-game it is a Dunmer style city. It is filled with Dunmer citizens. If their shit graphics and design team didn't do a good job at portraying this for you I'm not surprised, but it does not counter my point that making borders a mix of cultures is a cool thing TES decided to do in Oblivion and Skyrim.

The other examples can be more to your liking:

- Bruma has a mostly Nord population and Skyrim architecture.
- Anvil has a lot of Redguard citizens and looks somewhat more like Hammerfell
- Markarth region of Skyrim filled with Bretons, crazy native Bretons who insist it is still their land at that.
- Windhelm full of Dunmer refugees.

DraQ

Arcane
Dude, just no.

They say in-game it is a Dunmer style city. It is filled with Dunmer citizens. If their shit graphics and design team didn't do a good job at portraying this for you I'm not surprised, but it does not counter my point that making borders a mix of cultures is a cool thing TES decided to do in Oblivion and Skyrim.
Agreed with Skyrim - again, it's massive incline over oblivious despite continued dumbing down of mechanical aspects, and this incline includes structured worldbuilding - but no fucking way in oblivious.

Pff... If by "nords" you mean shaved versions of Victorian portrayals of Neanderthals...

20091220211547!OB-npc-Fjotreid.jpg

OB-npc-Olfand.jpg

20100106173140%21OB-npc-Olfand.jpg

:what:
Dear. God.

It's hard to say how *exactly* Hammerfell looks, becausethe best we have is:
dxl_sentinel4.png

But it doesn't look terribly similar to Anvil.

(ok, we also have:
44178_RGscreen_normal.jpg

still not terribly like Anvil.)

As for demographics - dat charts:

MW (Dunmer Dunmer Dunmer! Mushroom! Mushroom!):
MW-Demographics.png

SR:
SR-City-Demographics.jpg

OB (Derp! Derp! Deeerp!):
OB-City-Demographics.jpg

Find the outlier.

- Markarth region of Skyrim filled with Bretons, crazy native Bretons who insist it is still their land at that.
Those actually work. Grey Quarter doesn't have Dunmer architecture, because it's post-Nordic slums. Markarth is dominated by ex-dwemer architecture, acknowledged to be of different style than that found in Morrowind, which is rather expected given that Mournhold already had very different dwemer ruins despite being much closer to Vvardenfell.

They say a lot of things in this game. It's just subtle.
They even say Cyrodiil is jungle, but show otherwise. Such subtlety. Mind boggles.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Oblivion's cyrodiil is actually a jungle. It's just a subtle jungle. You must feel it how bethesda is delivering it.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Over-analysing is one thing, asserting that the artists and designers even cared and then setting out to prove it is another thing. It's plain and simple delusion.
And the author claims that where exactly?.
Surprisingly, they didn't have a consulting geologist on their team, but instead had a dedicated team of artists and developers that did their research without any background knowledge. I believe Bethesda deserves some serious kudos for that. - Implies that research was done by the artists and developers. I call bullshit.

The geology of Skyrim project has also shown what a good tool popular videogames can be for science communication. - Again implies that the geology is correct, when it's just using information that conveniently works.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Even its baron is even a dunmer.
And they say so in-game.

They say a lot of things in this game. It's just subtle.
With Oblivion Bethesda somehow completely forgot everything they used to be good at. In Oblivion everything is basically spelled out to the player, usually directly through dialogue. There's no "environmental storytelling" or anything that could be described as "subtle" in the game. Skyrim kind of improves on this a bit but it still uses the NPCs to rub these details into the player's face in case he's too stupid to figure it out by himself.

Speaking of shit games, I'm currently playing AC3 and it's a far less jarring sandbox than Skyrim could ever hope to be. Slightly less retarded writing, too.
Slap some stats on it, make combat dangerous, add multiple quest solutions and you've got the best TES since MW. Furry mods notwithstanding.
Kinda "R00fles", in a sad, "how did we get here" way.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of shit games, I'm currently playing AC3 and it's a far less jarring sandbox than Skyrim could ever hope to be. Slightly less retarded writing, too.
Slap some stats on it, make combat dangerous, add multiple quest solutions and you've got the best TES since MW. Furry mods notwithstanding.

Dude, AC3 is probably the worst example of cinematic bullshit I have seen lately. Say what you will about AC1 being too repetitive but at least it felt like a video game. I played 6 hours of AC3 and wasn't sure if I ever did anything outside tutorials and watching movies.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

Lamborghini takes heavy visual inspiration from the Volkswagen Beetle for the physical design of their cars.

2012-lamborghini-sesto-el-1_600x0w.jpg

Just because you cannot actually see any inspiration does not counter my point that using Volkswagen Beetle characteristics is a cool thing they decided to do for their cars.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just noticed that not one city/county of Cirodiil has imperial majority, in fact they're at best 20% minority in their own province... what is it Europe 2083? :lol: Nords and Dunmer who whine a lot about bloody foreigners and imperial occupation are both safely above 50%. Freedom for Cirodiil Down with multikulti Empire! :x

P.S. Did Cleve worked as Oblivion Dev? Lot of tals there. :incline:

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
One of the Oblivion's main points was to push that multi-culti bullshit for all costs. You know, progressive gaming, one of the first next-gen titles and stuff. So deep cultural commentary in a video game, +10:obviously:

I played 6 hours of AC3 and wasn't sure if I ever did anything outside tutorials and watching movies.
True enough. I didn't get to play sandbox until around memory sequence 3-4 and didn't get all the play options until 5-6 (about 1/5 of the main story), which takes a while to reach. After that, the main quest took the back seat and just serves to open new territories, get new recruits and move this shit forward when there's nothing left to do.
It's still a 'meh' game, but I never claimed it was good. Only that Skyrim is far worse, more BSB, nonsensical and herp-a-derp.
Also, AC2>>>>>AC3>>>>>>>>>>>>>AC1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom