Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the Oblivion's main points was to push that multi-culti bullshit for all costs. You know, progressive gaming, one of the first next-gen titles and stuff. So deep cultural commentary in a video game, +10:obviously:

Deep cultural commentary indeed, it was very obvious how excessive racemixing leads to everyone having horribly degenerate features.

Kahlis

Cipher
Deep cultural commentary indeed, it was very obvious how excessive racemixing leads to everyone having horribly degenerate features.
This will also invariably lead to the reappearance of green lips in Redguards, latent genes from their distant orc lineage.

DraQ

Arcane
Just noticed that not one city/county of Cirodiil has imperial majority, in fact they're at best 20% minority in their own province...

MW:
MW-Demographics.jpg

TR:
TR-Demographics.jpg

BM:
BM-Demographics.jpg

SK:
SR-Demographics.jpg

VS

OB:
OB-Demographics.jpg

:hearnoevil:

Statistics don't include nameless NPCs.

Kahlis

Cipher
Can't omit the generic Khajiit bandits running around Cyrodiil accosting you for 100 gold even when they're wearing level-scaled glass armor.

Gord

Arcane
I thought the "Imperials" are anyway the result of mixing of different races over the course of centuries.
And e.g. in the ancient roman empire an estimated 40% of the population in Italy were slaves from all over the roman empire and its bordering regions.

Still, very wonky demographics indeed... :D

Kahlis

Cipher
I don't know. Originally in the Arena/Daggerfall days the Imperial Province was just a metropolitan area of all races, then I think Redguard and its PGE established the existence of the Colovians and Nibenese. Of course, they can all (except Redguards) trace their lineage back to the Nords.

Esquilax

Arcane
OB:
OB-Demographics.jpg

:hearnoevil:

Statistics don't include nameless NPCs.

I'm working under the theory that Todd Howard is a secret Western Civilization Defense Force member, and that creating Oblivion was his subtle warning of the danger of bringing minorities and non-whites into the home nation. I mean, look at how terrible Cyrodiil is - all those filthy foreigners do is take our jobs and talk about mudcrabs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Those demographics are indeed retarded in Oblivion's case (and even Skyrim's to an extent) but in their mild, MILD, defense the heart of the empire would probably be more cosmopolitan. I would image people would flood to the Imperial City from everywhere. Well, if it actually had more than 20 houses in it anyway.

BobtheTree

Savant
I'm curious, how many of us haven't played this game yet? And if you haven't played it yet, why?

I'm not opposed to playing it, but I refuse to spend more than $20 on this game. Oblivion was just that bad that anything Bethesda outputs now is something I'm not going to get in any hurry to buy. Plus, I have about 20 RPGS I own that I want to play first.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm curious, how many of us haven't played this game yet? And if you haven't played it yet, why?.
I haven't played it, not planning to either. Watched a friend play on PC at release and it looked so bad that I entirely lost any interest in the series that had remained since Oblivious. Gotta say that the newest DLC tickled my TES spot with its Morrowindish looks but then I installed Morrowind and played that instead and any desire to not remove Skyrim from inventory disappeared. It lacks both the scope of early TES games and the lore wankery/art direction of Morrowind, so there's nothing remotely interesting left.

Some people have claimed that it makes a good hiking sim, I would be interested if they had stuck with Morrowind's art direction but from what I've seen of it I can just take a walk outside in the local hills for a far superior experience. Snow, roe deers, spruce and all.

DraQ

Arcane
Those demographics are indeed retarded in Oblivion's case (and even Skyrim's to an extent) but in their mild, MILD, defense the heart of the empire would probably be more cosmopolitan.

The thing is that inflow would be unlikely to outnumber the local population (if only because of fucking food production), and that oblivious' population was completely amorphous and nearly homogeneous.

I would expect Cyrodiil's population to be mostly imperials (mostly distributed depending on their subrace), with a small dose of mostly well-assimilated outlanders ('cuz it's cosmopolitical and stuff). But there would also be "little %provincename"s with tight-knit communities of less assimilated people, foreign traders selling their wares, bringing pieces of their undiluted home cultures with them, and so on.

I got mildly imperial flavoured mix of mostly vaguely happy people with different potatoes for faces instead. Every time I take a dump I flush more cultural identity than the whole oblivious had.

Skyrim's demograhics is much better. First, given all the guards and mostly Nord bandits the proportion of foreigners would be much lower.
Then you have influx of large minorities with good reasons to be there, limited to the areas and roles they would logically cluster around - Forsworn to the west, Dunmer refugees, Khajiit traders, Orc strongholds, Argonian dock workers and that pesky Imperial Legion.

I'm not opposed to playing it, but I refuse to spend more than $20 on this game.
It's not that you have to part with that 20$ to see if the game is worth it, if you catch my drift.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I'm not opposed to playing it, but I refuse to spend more than $20 on this game. Oblivion was just that bad that anything Bethesda outputs now is something I'm not going to get in any hurry to buy. Plus, I have about 20 RPGS I own that I want to play first.

Unless you're a huge fan of the genre wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC included and grab it during a steam sale.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Just noticed that not one city/county of Cirodiil has imperial majority, in fact they're at best 20% minority in their own province...

MW:
MW-Demographics.jpg

Just for my information:
The question may be redundant, but does this include the bandits in caves?
I read earlier these graphs don't include unnamed/random NPC. But in MW the bandits in the "wilderness" are named.
Or are only cities accounted for?.

Edit: rephrased.

Kitako

Arcane
Some pages ago this thread was mocking a geological study on Skyrim, and now I see population piecharts everywhere. I'm confused.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Imperial Legion in Skyrim are mostly Nords with Italians Imperials as officers, What I missed most in Oblivion was the total annihilation of Nibanese culture. IC should look like Rome from BBC Rome series; colorful, crowded full of exotic colors and smells something like Calcutta mixed with Venice. What we got instead was Victorian vision of Rome. Not to mention Colovia changed Macedonia into once again Victorian country side including those awful neo Gothic not-churches. They even axed out the cult of Ancestor Moths and turned such important places in lore like Sancre Tor into Another Dungeon. :decline:

DraQ

Arcane

MW:
MW-Demographics.jpg

Just for my information:
The question may be redundant, but does this include the bandits in caves?
I read earlier these graphs don't include unnamed/random NPC. But in MW the bandits in the "wilderness" are named.
Or are only cities accounted for?.

Edit: rephrased.
TBH I have no clue.
Either way it looks about right.

Gord

Arcane
I would expect Cyrodiil's population to be mostly imperials (mostly distributed depending on their subrace), with a small dose of mostly well-assimilated outlanders ('cuz it's cosmopolitical and stuff). But there would also be "little %provincename"s with tight-knit communities of less assimilated people, foreign traders selling their wares, bringing pieces of their undiluted home cultures with them, and so on.

A lot of possibilities there for a Oblivion that would have been set completely on the Imperial City-island.
A slum full of Argonians in the harbor quarter. Orcish metalworkers in the quarter of the craftsmen. A Nord "village" outside of the city walls, etc.

So much wasted potential...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Imperial Legion in Skyrim are mostly Nords with Italians Imperials as officers, What I missed most in Oblivion was the total annihilation of Nibanese culture. IC should look like Rome from BBC Rome series; colorful, crowded full of exotic colors and smells something like Calcutta mixed with Venice. What we got instead was Victorian vision of Rome. Not to mention Colovia changed Macedonia into once again Victorian country side including those awful neo Gothic not-churches. They even axed out the cult of Ancestor Moths and turned such important places in lore like Sancre Tor into Another Dungeon. :decline:

This is why Bloodmoon is the last Bethesda game I consider canon. Everything after that is just bad fanfiction, or, in the case of Skyrim, passable fanfiction that nevertheless doesn't really hit the *real* thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom