Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

DraQ

Arcane
Actually, overanalysing fictional worlds to see if, where, how and under how much pressure they pop is a fun and stimulating activity, not too different from abusing gameplay systems in creative ways.

As long as you don't start to wonder how sweat of suspiciously humanoid alien fap aid would *taste* like (notice the operative word) - then the only remaining way out for you leads through gun's barrel.

Kahlis

Cipher
screenshot2013021911304.png

:butthurt:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well duh. It's dumb to think, so all the cool kids are playing games where thinking is optional.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Actually, overanalysing fictional worlds to see if, where, how and under how much pressure they pop is a fun and stimulating activity, not too different from abusing gameplay systems in creative ways.
Over-analysing is one thing, asserting that the artists and designers even cared and then setting out to prove it is another thing. It's plain and simple delusion.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I wish I still lived with my mom. She cooks better than me :(

God yes. Every time I come home from visiting my parents I feel sad because I know I'm not going to eat that well again for quite some time.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

As long as you don't start to wonder how sweat of suspiciously humanoid alien fap aid would *taste* like (notice the operative word) - then the only remaining way out for you leads through gun's barrel.
nFsKuG2.png

:martini:

Kahlis

Cipher
I don't see anything wrong with the speculation per se, but when they start talking as if it's some incredibly profound secret the developers intentionally put there for people to find out and that the game is targeted at intellectuals, :x

Gord

Arcane
I think it can be kind of funny to analyze the fictional Skyrim landscape in a geology class at university, because why not?, but indeed I'd not assume that the map designer put a lot of thought about underlying geological features/processes into it (unless maybe he's a failed geology major).

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yeah, I highly doubt the designers put that much thought into it. They probably looked at some pictures of Scandinavia and tried to do something similar. That's about it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One georgraphy thing I give Bethesda credit for is making border regions cultural mixtures. A lot of RPGs divide provinces with strict lines, walk through a quickie mountain range and BOOM it's like a whole different world. Bethesda makes cities in Cyrodiil and Skyrim close to the Morrowind border a mix of local and Morrowind styles. Same for the other borders.

Anyway...

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Oblivion had that too. Bruma, that loonatic khajiits' villgage etc

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
One georgraphy thing I give Bethesda credit for is making border regions cultural mixtures. A lot of RPGs divide provinces with strict lines, walk through a quickie mountain range and BOOM it's like a whole different world. Bethesda makes cities in Cyrodiil and Skyrim close to the Morrowind border a mix of local and Morrowind styles. Same for the other borders.

Anyway...

17161.gif

Truly, this city closest to Morrowind reeks of the cultural influence.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It was full of Dunmer and said to have Morrowind architecture. Looking at Mournhold in the Tribunal expansion I would say that bears out. Remember Vvardenfell in Morrowind proper was not all of Morrowind, or even the normal part.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring

It was full of Dunmer and said to have Morrowind architecture. Looking at Mournhold in the Tribunal expansion I would say that bears out. Remember Vvardenfell in Morrowind proper was not all of Morrowind, or even the normal part.
What are you talking about? It looks like the rest of Oblivion.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What are you talking about? It looks like the rest of Oblivion.

It's different, it's subtle. Purple obviously, different exterior wood style. Compare to Mournhold mansion district. They mention it in the game. And as said, full of Dunmer, talked about, etc. It's more than most RPGs do for that kind of thing. In Windhelm it's just the "grey quarter." Also Bretons in Markarth, the Forsworn and all that. There were a lot of Redguard in Anvil in Oblivion, Nords in Bruma.

Anyway, not gonna fight about obvious shit.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
It's different, it's subtle. Purple obviously, different exterior wood style. Compare to Mournhold mansion district. They mention it in the game. And as said, full of Dunmer, talked about, etc. It's more than most RPGs do for that kind of thing. In Windhelm it's just the "grey quarter." Also Bretons in Markarth, the Forsworn and all that. There were a lot of Redguard in Anvil in Oblivion, Nords in Bruma.

tcoc_chorrol_healer.jpg

You are right, the roofs are purple compared to mid-Cyrodiil! Gosh, what an subtle difference. And I can't even begin to imagine the lengths Bethesda devs and writers went to create couple lines of dialogue, repainting some textures and planting few specific racial NPCs to their "respective" regions. Astronomical.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What gigantic towns. I bet they can house 1000 people each.

DalekFlay, people have now written essays on Turian sweat and the geographic composition of Skyrim. When is your article on the subtle cultural influences in Oblivion due?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, he is one of the few people who defends Skyrim and still plays it. That should tell you enough.

Gord

Arcane
Well, he has also poorly chosen his examples.
E.g. Bruma (framehouses) looked somewhat different from other towns, as did Anvil and Bravil (run-down).
Fun fact: the presumably Nord-inspired architecture of Bruma isn't that common in Skyrim, iirc...

As for the small towns compared to their alleged size:
True, for every game since Morrowind, but:
:deadhorse:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom