Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

dr.krap

Educated
Howard doesn't answer anything. Every time he speaks, there are just more questions.

Black

Arcane
SvRi9.jpg

Gord

Arcane
I found a very "unique" opinion on Bethesda's motivation behind the new DLC:

Bethesda has an contract with Microsoft to release the first two DLC XBox exclusive for 1 month.
With Hearthfire they release a minor DLC that's anyway mostly interesting to console players and are over and done with the exclusivity clause.

Well, make of that what you will. But outside of console players who can't use mods and the (unfortunately strong) faction of suckers that equate cRPG with playing dress-up and pretending, many people don't seem overly excited with the new DLC.

Turjan

Arcane
If the DLC gave you something like the Dragon Tower from Divinity 2 it might actually be worth $5. This however...
Do you seriously think Bethesda has actually bothered playing a game like Divinity II, much less enough to draw inspiration from it?
Didn't Howard claim once that they would get presentations about other RPGs from time to time?

Bahamut

Arcane

People at bethesda's are dead fucking serious, they think that LARP'ing like that is whats RPG's are about

Example of bethturd syndrome

turd2 said:
turd1 said:
Cooking bread and adopting are not what Elder Scrolls is about. It's about adventure, magic and hack and slash.

If you don't get that Skyrim is a RPG, it's your problem. If that's all you care about, you could as well go back to Halo.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In the ideals of roleplaying in the idea of acting out a certain persona, isn't it then best to reward a player for dedicating themselves in such a particular way? Example, devote brave adventuring worshiper of a god is rewarded with certain perks and possibly even quests related to the deity?

EDIT: Realization and question: Why is it that many Bethestards and claim that in order to enjoy their game to the fullest, they purposely do things to make things harder for them? In the image posted before, Bethestard states that he would only get lockpicks from bodies and chests and never buy them. This was in rebuttal to a player who logically brings up that the game gives lockpicks like it had a surplus to get rid of.

"It's all how you play the game", he says at the end of that post.

Well from my experience, I as a player will take EVERY ADVANTAGE PROBABLE in a game I can find. AI shit? Abuse the shit out of that. Game giving me lockpicks out of the wazoo? Don't mind if I do. Ultimate weapons? Acquire it ASAP for great justice.

I might be wrong and it might just be me and how I have in the past gone about playing games, but to some logic from looking into tabletop roleplaying games, if players find some form advantage they can abuse, they will abuse it until the GM basically balances things so the advantage is no longer abusable or just can not be used.

Gord

Arcane
People at bethesda's are dead fucking serious, they think that LARP'ing like that is whats RPG's are about

Exactly, and this is why we can't have nice things.
That factions is as strong in the Bethesda forums as the people discussing the properties of Tali's sweat and demanding more gay romances are in the Bioware forums.

And because things like a good rule system, actual consequences and reactions in the game-world and so on don't matter much if you anyway only pretend and imagine, Bethesda will probably remove more and more of it...

I don't have problems with a game offering possibilities for "roleplaying" outside of doing quests and getting better loot - but in order for me even to consider doing it, I expect the game to recognize it and give me some reason to do it. Because, everything else is not roleplaying, but just pretending and on such levels as some people in the Beth forums like to do, plain pathetic.

So, if I would like to play a guard, the game should give me the option to join the guard faction, pay me for it, simulate shit like bandit attacks, thieves, etc. - it will most likely be fucking boring and pointless because I will still spend hours staring into the virtual air, but at least it is recognized in some way.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
So, if I would like to play a guard, the game should give me the option to join the guard faction, pay me for it, simulate shit like bandit attacks, thieves, etc. - it will most likely be fucking boring and pointless because I will still spend hours staring into the virtual air, but at least it is recognized in some way.

:bro:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing is that this play pretend faction is so resistant to arguments and criticism, you can't get any point through with them.

"I'd like to be able to play a guard. You know, be hired, get paid, defend the city..."
"But you can play a guard! Just take a guard armor and patrol the walls."
"But the game doesn't recognize it! I just pretend to be a guard, the game doesn't actually react to it in any way!"
"Yeah but that's roleplaying. You can imagine that the game would react to it. When you walk on the walls and look at the populace, you can imagine that they're feeling safe under your protection."

HNNNNNNNG

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
The thing is that this play pretend faction is so resistant to arguments and criticism, you can't get any point through with them.

"I'd like to be able to play a guard. You know, be hired, get paid, defend the city..."
"But the game doesn't recognize it! I just pretend to be a guard, the game doesn't actually react to it in any way!"
"Yeah but that's roleplaying. You can imagine that the game would react to it. When you walk on the walls and look at the populace, you can imagine that they're feeling safe under your protection."

HNNNNNNNG

why bother even donning the armour or patrolling, you can just imagine you are wearing it/walking the beat and being a guard :P

DraQ

Arcane

HNNNNNNNG
I shall try to train my intelligence and accumulate as much wisdom as possible within my lifetime so that I be able to will such people out of existence.

EDIT: Realization and question: Why is it that many Bethestards and claim that in order to enjoy their game to the fullest, they purposely do things to make things harder for them? In the image posted before, Bethestard states that he would only get lockpicks from bodies and chests and never buy them. This was in rebuttal to a player who logically brings up that the game gives lockpicks like it had a surplus to get rid of.

"It's all how you play the game", he says at the end of that post.

Well from my experience, I as a player will take EVERY ADVANTAGE PROBABLE in a game I can find. AI shit? Abuse the shit out of that. Game giving me lockpicks out of the wazoo? Don't mind if I do. Ultimate weapons? Acquire it ASAP for great justice.

I might be wrong and it might just be me and how I have in the past gone about playing games, but to some logic from looking into tabletop roleplaying games, if players find some form advantage they can abuse, they will abuse it until the GM basically balances things so the advantage is no longer abusable or just can not be used.
The important things here are:

-cRPGs have no GM to react to player's shenanigans
-Bethesda's mechanics are so leaky and full of loopholes than even living, breathing GM would have problems containing the player and abusing the living fuck out of beth games is trivial and devoid of any sense of accomplishment

So:
If you want to enjoy those beth games that are in fact enjoyable (like Morrowind, Daggerfall or even Skyrim) in a way they can be enjoyed, you need to be your own GM and houserule yourself. Or you might find yourself another game, as there is really nothing fun, nor clever about running around with all your stats over 9000.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Playing a Bethesda game is always like a lawfulness test, and not only in terms of bugs or Artificial Stupidity. I mean all you need to do in order to become god is to hit "~" and type "tgm".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom