Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Stabwound

Arcane
Sounds way more interesting than I remember. Damn, I'll give this a go.

Does SkyRe and Duel have problems? It seems like they both modify combat a lot and I'm not sure how they'd clash. Shit's confusing.

roll-a-die

Magister
Sounds way more interesting than I remember. Damn, I'll give this a go.

Does SkyRe and Duel have problems? It seems like they both modify combat a lot and I'm not sure how they'd clash. Shit's confusing.
SkyRe is modular, and the Duel does everything it does by script, if you don't want SkyRe affecting things, place it earlier in the load order than the duel and disable it's AI and Combat module. It shouldn't anyway given that the duel literally does and changes everything by script when it starts up.

Other options include, Duke Patrick's Heavy Melee combat or some shit like that, and Deadly Combat, which is nothing like the Deadly Combat for Oblivion.

Just stick with SkyRe's combat changes for now, even if Duel sounds interesting. If you add lots of modifications and overrides it gets hard to keep track of what the "rules" are and you lose interest. You can always try Duel with another character (or add it to your current one later on when you are acquainted enough with SkyRe's changes)

By the way, proof that the topic title is incorrect - skyrim is just as good as Oblivion.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I want fapping material I watch movie or ''play'' rapelay, What is wrong with this people? :point:This is why I wish there will be no modding tools for W2 or AoD as it is pahtetic when game is unplayable without tons of Mods and Devs are encuraged to release broken titles cause mods will fix them anyway.

DraQ

Arcane
Just stick with SkyRe's combat changes for now, even if Duel sounds interesting.
I'd go with Duel and SkyRe modules for the rest of stuff (so no combat and AI). Maybe Morrowloot as well.

Duel AI is really good, shockingly good when seen in the context of a Bethesda's product.

If I want fapping material I watch movie or ''play'' rapelay, What is wrong with this people? :point:This is why I wish there will be no modding tools for W2 or AoD as it is pahtetic when game is unplayable without tons of Mods and Devs are encuraged to release broken titles cause mods will fix them anyway.
Give people brushes and most of them will paint dicks. Honestly, what did you expect?

Still, some of them will create stunning works of art. The best you can do is making your "brush" powerful and logically build, but counterintuitive at first and with steep learning curve.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
That pirate argonian singing a song :lol:

That mod actually sounds interesting.

Speaking of interesting, dohoho I love conjuration. Faggot mage up on a ledge casting bolts at me, backing away whenever I do the same. After a few reloads playing fair (and dealing with his entourage of melee friends every time), I find out I can aim at the wall to his left, and land an atronach next to him. I then lean back on my chair and enjoy the screams of pain. After that, I raise him to serve as a meatshield against the archer in the next room, who could one-shot me.

Just stick with SkyRe's combat changes for now, even if Duel sounds interesting.
I'd go with Duel and SkyRe modules for the rest of stuff (so no combat and AI). Maybe Morrowloot as well.

Duel AI is really good, shockingly good when seen in the context of a Bethesda's product.

I know, I'm just trying to prevent him from falling into the "spent so much time modding, lost the interest to play" trap.

racofer

Thread Incliner
What bugs me the most is: even slapping a clusterfuck of mods on this thing, it's still a piece of shit of a game.

I've had way, way more fun with little FTL than Skyrimjob, despite my several retries into playing this thing.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Even considering those guys really liked Oblivion - why would you want to do that?
I can somewhat understand a Morrowind TC, but Oblivion?

The engine is not that different. Skyrims assets are better, true, and it has dynamic shadows.
Still I guess moddig Oblivion would be easier than doing a conversion into Skyrim's engine.

Nostalgia. Because, for many, Oblivion was their first and favorite RPG.

It's terrifying, I know.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

This game pisses me off in so many ways.

First, I really like the game and think the immersion level is fantastic (I feel like I am there). Its a living and breathing World of beauty and charm where all things seem possible- The Quests are sometimes pretty funny and well written and seem to have multiple ways to accomplish or complete them.

But. After a few hours of play the facade and the illusion begins to fade. Its actually a pretty linear game (Yes, I know you can do anything in any order, but...)with little depth and no real Choice and consequence type interaction (beyond Stormcloak/empire type stuff)

Then the level scaling becomes totally apparent (its still better than Oblivions ridiculous scaling) when by level 7-9 you are already running a Guild/Faction/Group. The shops are not "unique" in any way and the gear is....Bleh.

-Again,. for some reason I really like Skyrim and (to me) its the second best ES game next to Morrowind- I just see the potential this game had to be the best in the series BY FAR which was ruined by trying to make the game "accessible", "simplified" and with little reason to replay (since you can experience most content on a single playthrough)- Along with Fast Travel which killed the "scope" of exploration this game should have.

I am currently replaying vanilla on my PS3 and its beautiful... One of the games my Wife will actually sit down and watch. The pacing is also very good (lots of down time between attacks while exploring) and its an overall good game. But it still pisses me off. =/

Bahamut

Arcane

First, I really like the game and think the immersion level is fantastic (I feel like I am there). Its a living and breathing World of beauty and charm where all things seem possible- The Quests are sometimes pretty funny and well written and seem to have multiple ways to accomplish or complete them.

please stop

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

please stop
-I said "seems"- My next paragraph is important in the context...

Upon starting a new game, escaping the Dragon, doing the quests in the first Town and dungeon and making it to the capital City everything I said is true. I was floored for the first few hours of play as it looked as if this game was gong to be the best ES game (and perhaps one of the best RPGs I have ever played)- That illusion is broken after a few hours...Which is what I was saying.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-To me
I really dont understand why people bash the Fast travel; it is there as an option, nobody is putting a gun to your head to use and to be perfectly honest I am not 17 and living in my parents basement playing Skyrim for 8 hours at a time while waiting for a team of russian beach volleyball players to ask me to be their cabana boy....I actualy have lmited time for playing, maybe 2 3 hours top a gaming session and excuse me if I rather get on with it and "teleport" to a place nearby my objective so I can wrap up the dungeon and get back to deliver the quest, unload my loot, do my potions and maybe spot a few interesting places to go next. Of course I will get into thse beautiful looking places and locations and just sandbox in the locations; afew days ago I ran into a beautiful mountainside waterfall and rather than going along I decided to spend 10 minutes doing photoshoots of my beautifl companion with the morning sun with the waterfall as backdrop...simply amazing stuff and exacty why Ive loved TES since Arena; the freedom to actualy live out your experiences in the setting....
its not a matter of "not using it" since the game mechanics not only support but also were made around this feature. I understand the need for some fast travel via carts/Spells and such- Its the whole "Click map. Click icon. Travel".

I guess its just my preference. In Morrowind it felt like the game was made around "discovery" whoile getting lost and sidetracked. Finding some strange ruin and having to choose to explore it or not, taking your inventory and encumbrance into consideration. In Skyrim its like "Cool, another point on the map to fast travel to later..." edit: Once you sell your loot in town/buy equipment and prepare... There were places in Morrowind I found and couldnt explore at the time and never found again...

IDK- I feel that way about fast travel in MMOs as well (more so in fact) but I also know I am in the minority on this.

Bahamut

Arcane

please stop
-I said "seems"- My next paragraph is important in the context...

Upon starting a new game, escaping the Dragon, doing the quests in the first Town and dungeon and making it to the capital City everything I said is true. I was floored for the first few hours of play as it looked as if this game was gong to be the best ES game (and perhaps one of the best RPGs I have ever played)- That illusion is broken after a few hours...Which is what I was saying.

Oh, my bad
I am just alergic to combination of skyrim/oblivion+good writing+good quests

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Yeah but Morrowind gets called a hicking simulator because of that, I use a modthat gives you 8 different mark/recall options for spells and makes me feel like fucking Rastlin laying the smackdown of magic buffons...not an errand boy running arround for 40 minutes looking for a shrine in the middle of nowhere. Once again perhpas it was quite a different stage in life where I had a lot more free time and didnt mind...but nowadays I am thankful for fast travel...please tell me you dont use it after doing a long dungeon, packed with treasure and thinking of disentchanting that medalion...come on
LOL- Of coarse I use it. I find myself getting a quest and going right to the map to see the closest point I can Fast Travel to. I often will fast travel just to drop a load of stuff to sell later, free up space and then fast travel right back to the point I left off at. =D

I have never heard Morrowind called a "hiking simulator" but damn- It kinda fits. In fact, I usually Mod the Cliff racers away and add non combat wildlife and extra sounds (along with better graphics) as I want less combat in the Over World and more...Hiking. That is actually a very good analogy of a playstyle I enjoy but have never really thought about.

See, If Skyrim had used multiple mark/recall spells along with carts and maybe Hot Air ballons and Boats for travel (But with "routes" akin to the M and M series) I feel it would have been better.

I totally know what you are saying- But it seems like the game mechanics are a result of this. I have limited time, grab quest and try to do it as quickly as possible. In Morrowind I never really felt that "need" to try to progress during a pay session- It was more about just "being there"... Very hard to explain.

Anyhow, I am not hating Skyrim. I like it and think its a vast improvement over Oblivion. I think the Crafting and farming is a step in the right direction and it seems like they looked at some of the Mods for Morrowind/Oblivion and incorperated the ideals into vanilla Skyrim. I would go as far as to say its one of the most fun games I have played in awhile- But it has some glaring issues IMHO which really pisses me off since the potential was better for this game than any other game of recent times.

EDIT- This really got me thinking (our discussion on fast travel and having limited time) and I have to say- Skyrim is no doubt more of a game than Morrowind. Morrowind was certainly (as you said) more of a simulator. In Morrowind the "goals" were very ill defined and abstract. I usually made more own goals. I remember actually collecting all the Blue Lantern lights to outline the streets in blue in "My City"...For the longest time I never even knew Morrowind had a main quest.

In Skyrim there is a very clearly defined "game". Its far less about setting your own goals (obviously you can) and more about following a storyline.

-Interesting discussion.

Morrowind had silt striders, boats, mage guild teleporting services, propylons, mark and recall spells, intervention spells...Vivec even had fucking gondolas for internal "fast travel". Anyone who felt "forced to walk for miles to go anywhere" needs to start paying attention to the screen while playing.

I really dont understand why people bash the Fast travel; it is there as an option, nobody is putting a gun to your head to use and to be perfectly honest I am not 17 and living in my parents basement playing Skyrim for 8 hours at a time while waiting for a team of russian beach volleyball players to ask me to be their cabana boy....I actualy have lmited time for playing, maybe 2 3 hours top a gaming session and excuse me if I rather get on with it and "teleport" to a place nearby my objective so I can wrap up the dungeon and get back to deliver the quest, unload my loot, do my potions and maybe spot a few interesting places to go next. Of course I will get into thse beautiful looking places and locations and just sandbox in the locations; afew days ago I ran into a beautiful mountainside waterfall and rather than going along I decided to spend 10 minutes doing photoshoots of my beautifl companion with the morning sun with the waterfall as backdrop...simply amazing stuff and exacty why Ive loved TES since Arena; the freedom to actualy live out your experiences in the setting....

I know you're a retarded troll but this stupid point is repeated so often, and seriously at that. "I have limited time to play and I want to play games that demand a lot of time. GIMME SHORTCUTS".

I'm not really complaining about fast travel itself since I use it, it's the whole "How else can I play the game...without playing it?" player philosophy that annoys me.

Gord

Arcane
5n2vy5wm7

DraQ

Arcane
I really dont understand why people bash the Fast travel; it is there as an option
People don't bash fast travel as an option. They bash it as unconditionally preferable option. Fast travel, as implemented in TES IV-V confers on risk, nor cost. There is no situation where you'd be pressed to not use it. It's an "I WIN" button.

If, for example, fast travel conferred risk of stumbling into random encounters, then it would be preferable to not use it, when, for example low on healing supplies or otherwise handicapped in combat (I'd say low on health, but LOLREGEN).

If it costed something or if the time actually mattered, then not preparing supplies for dungeon wouldn't be the matter of "lol, brb" and 2x teleport.

Finally, it could be better implemented mechanically - for example you should only be able to fast travel within continuous explored area, with travel time depending on best possible path within it. This means that carriage travel to another (unexplored) town would put you in separate explored area and fast travel back would be impossible unless you've travelled the route yourself at least once.

Mind you, it's still better than in oblivious where unexplored towns could be travelled to from very start. That, and Skyrim isn't terminally boring to walk across.

simply amazing stuff and exacty why Ive loved TES since Arena; the freedom to actualy live out your experiences in the setting....
The keywords being "in the setting", not against its backdrop.

Abandoning quest, running like mad to the nearest town and selling your totally sweet sword to be able to afford temple's price for cure for some really nasty disease you caught while dungeon delving, that would kill you in the next few days in Daggerfall was definitely an experience in the setting.

Being able to zap back and forth across the entire province on a whim, free of context or any sense of distance is not an experience in the setting, merely against its backdrop.

It's like the difference between taking part in a discovery expedition to some uncharted land and taking a snapshot of yourself with rented ill-fitting cork helmet on your head and elephant gun (that would break your arm if you actually managed to fire it) against the only piece of relatively untouched, somewhat jungly looking forest you could find in the city you stayed in while on vacations abroad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom