Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Sul

Savant
Holy shit guys. Thank you for running another good thread with your collective faggotry.
Please keep all bullshit reserved to GD.

yeah the way thing are going they are going to try to squeeze as many addons and DLCs as possible an it is simple echonomics; they have an install base of close 10 million (minus the PS3 suckers) and even small potatoes $5 a pop dlc produce massive profits for almost no investment

Which is a direct contradiction of what they have been saying - that they are going in the route of "real" expansion packs, even more so after Fallout 3 expansions. But then again Todd IS The Prince of Lies. :roll:
Agreed. After horse armor all DLCs, with the exceptions Courier's Stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal, felt more like "micro expansions". Although I have not played Heartfire and Dawnguard so I can't speak for Skyrim.

attackfighter

Magister
Holy shit guys. Thank you for running another good thread with your collective faggotry.
Please keep all bullshit reserved to GD.

yeah the way thing are going they are going to try to squeeze as many addons and DLCs as possible an it is simple echonomics; they have an install base of close 10 million (minus the PS3 suckers) and even small potatoes $5 a pop dlc produce massive profits for almost no investment

Which is a direct contradiction of what they have been saying - that they are going in the route of "real" expansion packs, even more so after Fallout 3 expansions. But then again Todd IS The Prince of Lies. :roll:
Agreed. After horse armor all DLCs, with the exceptions Courier's Stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal, felt more like "micro expansions". Although I have not played Heartfire and Dawnguard so I can't speak for Skyrim.

"Skyrim thread"
"good"

does not compute

Sabriana

Learned

Is the new add-on a DLC or an exp-pack? Dawnguard (I think that's its name) certainly carries the price of a real exp-pack, but I've watched a few scenes on youtube, and it seems to be just a DLC. I'll definitely get Skyrim, but not just yet. As a matter of fact, it'll be a long while until it reaches my price of 10 to 15 euros with all DLC bundled in.

In the meantime I'll be watching this and other forum threads to get some opinions. I've heard everything from 'slightly better than/just as bad as/worse than Oblivion', to 'the best after Morrowind'.

Interesting how the game goes from one end to the other, here and elsewhere. Well, except maybe the bethboards.

Is the new add-on a DLC or an exp-pack? Dawnguard (I think that's its name) certainly carries the price of a real exp-pack, but I've watched a few scenes on youtube, and it seems to be just a DLC. I'll definitely get Skyrim, but not just yet. As a matter of fact, it'll be a long while until it reaches my price of 10 to 15 euros with all DLC bundled in.

In the meantime I'll be watching this and other forum threads to get some opinions. I've heard everything from 'slightly better than/just as bad as/worse than Oblivion', to 'the best after Morrowind'.

Interesting how the game goes from one end to the other, here and elsewhere. Well, except maybe the bethboards.

Wait for an ultimate goty. Skyrim IS an improvement over oblivion. Just not really a crpg. Almost no stats. Dawnguard isn't worth the price.

STOP CYBERBULLYING .

Look I envision a day when codexians will hold hands, one with another. The Final Fantasy fan with the Daggerfall fan. The Hello Kitty Online Fan with the Ultima Online fan. The Fallout 1 Fan with the Fallout 3 fan. And there will be PEACE.

-It will be a thing of beauty. And everyone wins.

If everyone wins, no one does:M

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
STOP CYBERBULLYING .

Look I envision a day when codexians will hold hands, one with another. The Final Fantasy fan with the Daggerfall fan. The Hello Kitty Online Fan with the Ultima Online fan. The Fallout 1 Fan with the Fallout 3 fan. And there will be PEACE.

-It will be a thing of beauty. And everyone wins.

Edit: There was a time in life when I secretly listened to Top 40 Pop 80s music but pretended to hate that shit and only like Slayer. I had to come to terms with myself over this elitism I fronted.

I admit here and now that I think Final Fantasy 7 was fucking awesome.

/out of closet

148840-30921-j-jonah-jameson.jpg

You have lot to learn about RPGCodex.
-Yes, I am quite unschooled in the ways of the codex.
But I felt needed to do my part to stop this cyberbullying epidemic. Look, I just dont need to wake up Tomorrow and see some damn YouTube video all over CNN with headlines "Tranny Kills self for being made fun of for liking KOTOR"... I can see it now, some hairy guy in a mask weeping while holding note cards (in Black and White for effect)
"Let me tell you my story"
-throws card down so you can read the next
"I came to the codex and was tricked into admitting that I like KOTOR"
-Throws card down
"It has the best Cand C I haz ever seen in a game"
-Throws card down
"The storyline is the best I have ever heard"
-Throws card down
"And then the codex made fun of me"
-Throws card down
"-They made me show mt tits and then mailed the pics to Todd Howard"
-Throws card down
"They told me if I didnt do bad things they would tell everyone I like KOTOR"
-Throws card down
"That its my favorite game"
-throws card down
"...Now I am all alone =("

-You see, CNN (and the other Corporate media) will jump on this story and quickly begin taking snippets of Cleve quotes to paint this pace as a haven for imbeciles and cyberbullies.

-The fanbboys and Jews will come out in force and over run the codex .

It will be madness.

-And yes, Skyrim DLC isnt worth it . Wait for the GOTY.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the new add-on a DLC or an exp-pack? Dawnguard (I think that's its name) certainly carries the price of a real exp-pack, but I've watched a few scenes on youtube, and it seems to be just a DLC.

Dawnguards adds one additional questline and some new items and features, so it's definitely not an expansion pack, but for a DLC it's pretty large. I torrented it though so I wouldn't know what it costs. It's definitely not worth the price of a full expansion pack.

The new one is just herp derp you can build your own house. Not worth any money at all because I'm fairly certain there are mods that do the same.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
"I came to the codex and was tricked into admitting that I like KOTOR"
-Throws card down
"It has the best Cand C I haz ever seen in a game"
-Throws card down
"The storyline is the best I have ever heard"
-Throws card down
"And then the codex made fun of me"

-Throws card down
"And I deserved it"
-Throws card down
"Because I have shit taste"

roll-a-die

Magister
Is the new add-on a DLC or an exp-pack? Dawnguard (I think that's its name) certainly carries the price of a real exp-pack, but I've watched a few scenes on youtube, and it seems to be just a DLC.

Dawnguards adds one additional questline and some new items and features, so it's definitely not an expansion pack, but for a DLC it's pretty large. I torrented it though so I wouldn't know what it costs. It's definitely not worth the price of a full expansion pack.

The new one is just herp derp you can build your own house. Not worth any money at all because I'm fairly certain there are mods that do the same.
It adds around 2 new quest lines(factional, a some of the quests are the same for both of the factions, but a couple are also different,) a new mostly non annoying companion, a few side quests, new areas to explore(the ideal masters home, the 2 castles, new dwemer ruins), a new summoning spell, a new mount, and a new transformation powerset, it's basically about 1/3-3/4s the size of Bloodmoon(I haven't played bloodmoon in awhile), just not as extensive. 1 of the quests will likely take you 10 hours of exploring every dwemer ruin you can to actually find what you need. It also rapes the lore, like 20 inch round cock rapes the lore. It does fit the almost an expansion pack though.

I just did some maths

There are around 19 quests in Dawnguard that actually matter(Excluding radiants and the start quests as well as the choose you faction quest(There's 39 if you include all of those)), there are around 42 in Bloodmoon that actually matter. It's approximately 1/2 of the actual content that Bloodmoon had. Whether that is keeping their word or not is up to you folks.

Not really defending them more than showing the reality of things.

roll-a-die

Magister
So I've made some changes to the mod's I've been using after my saves died to corruption, most notably I've stopped using the SkyRe versions of pretty much everything other than it's perk overhaul.

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dawnguard.esm
03 CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights.esm
04 SkyMoMod.esm
05 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
06 moonpath.esm
07 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 1.2.2b]
08 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp [Version 1.1a]
09 Chesko_Frostfall.esp
0A Supreme Fog.esp
0B ClimatesOfTamriel-VanillaNights-Lvl-2.esp
0C ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
0D ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Hazardous.esp
0E ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Cold.esp
0F Economics of Skyrim.esp
10 SkyMoMod_lists.esp (This is the lore friendly mod to Skyrim Monster Mod)
11 Character Creation Overhaul.esp
12 iHUD.esp
13 SkyRealism - Simple Save System - 2 min.esp [Version 1.0]
14 XAC.esp (Female Armors that are mostly logical)
15 DeadlyDragons.esp
16 DeadlyDragonsSpells.esp
17 DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp
18 moonpath_questdata.esp
19 Run For Your Lives.esp [Version 1.1.1]
1A killkidsV2.esp
1B Skyrim bigger trees.esp (God this makes the game look so much better for some ungodly reason)
1C VariedGuards.esp
1D Hunting in Skyrim - No Perks.esp
1E Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
1F Duel - Combat Realism.esp
20 Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
21 MD - Real Unleveled Skyrim.esp
22 SkyRe_Main.esp
23 Morrowloot.esp
24 SkyRe_Plugin_ImmersiveArmor_5.esp
25 3DNPC.esp (Most of the NPC's are actually fairly funny, if terribly voiced)
26 UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
27 AROP- Breton Edition.esp (Trying these out in place of SkyRe's race module, might switch back)
28 AROP- Orsimer Edition.esp
29 AROP- Imperial Edition.esp
2A AROP- Nord Edition.esp
2B AROP- Dunmer Edition.esp
2C AROP- Bosmer Edition.esp
2D AROP- Khajit Edition.esp
2E AROP- Altmer Edition.esp
2F AROP- Argonian Edition.esp
30 AROP- Redguard Edition.esp
31 Chesko_LevelUp.esp
32 PaperMapHeightEnhanced.esp
33 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Anyway about to start my first extended play session with this load order, hopefully I'm not going to have to spend hours trying to figure something inane out.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
it's basically about 1/3-3/4s the size of Bloodmoon(I haven't played bloodmoon in awhile), just not as extensive. 1 of the quests will likely take you 10 hours of exploring every dwemer ruin you can to actually find what you need.

There are around 19 quests in Dawnguard that actually matter(Excluding radiants and the start quests as well as the choose you faction quest(There's 39 if you include all of those)), there are around 42 in Bloodmoon that actually matter. It's approximately 1/2 of the actual content that Bloodmoon had.

Well, you did forget in your calculations that Bloodmoon adds a new landmass to explore, with lots of new dungeons too. There's no new landmass in Dawnguard and not as many new dungeons, either.

roll-a-die

Magister
it's basically about 1/3-3/4s the size of Bloodmoon(I haven't played bloodmoon in awhile), just not as extensive. 1 of the quests will likely take you 10 hours of exploring every dwemer ruin you can to actually find what you need.

There are around 19 quests in Dawnguard that actually matter(Excluding radiants and the start quests as well as the choose you faction quest(There's 39 if you include all of those)), there are around 42 in Bloodmoon that actually matter. It's approximately 1/2 of the actual content that Bloodmoon had.

Well, you did forget in your calculations that Bloodmoon adds a new landmass to explore, with lots of new dungeons too. There's no new landmass in Dawnguard and not as many new dungeons, either.
There is in fact a new world zone to explore, it's the ideal masters area, and is roughly 2 and 1/3 of a km by 3 km if I estimated right. I mentioned it. It's also one of the best looking areas I've seen in Skyrim. There's a fair few dungeons there, as well. Most of them overworld dungeons. There's also forgotten vale, which I haven't been to yet, because I keep starting new characters like a goit to test new mods out. It's about 1 km by 1 km.

So I did some basic counting again, Bloodmoon adds 38 new dungeons most of the monster closets, Dawnguard adds 24, some of the monster closets others extensive cave systems and dwemer ruins. Most of the ones you see on the main quest's are really large or at very least really unique. With a few exceptions.

roll-a-die

Magister
roll-a-die
They just released the TES5Edit to clean up some doggy mods and references, you should try it for cleaning up a bit your load order first to see how it goes...hell I even cleaned up the Dawnguard ESP....you should give it a try
Already done so bro, it's why I'm starting yet another new game.

Sabriana

Learned
Wait for an ultimate goty. Skyrim IS an improvement over oblivion. Just not really a crpg. Almost no stats. Dawnguard isn't worth the price.

Yeah, you're right. And unless that ultimate goty costs only between 10 and 15 € they can stick it where the sun don't shine. I saw a bit of Skyrim on youtube as well. It appears to be just a happy hiker with dragons.

JarlFrank wrote:

Danke. That's indeed herp derp. What is this, the Sims? No, that's definitely not worth € 20.

Well shit. I guess the days of real exp-packs is over. They've gotten away with squeezing the 'New Generation' players dry with as little effort as possible. I'm glad I taught my daughter different. She's very young still, but she loves Fallout 2, BG 2, and VtMB. She understands that Graphics are secondary at best, and that action can be had in strategy and planning.

I was so proud of her when she declared: "Mama, Dragon Age 2 ist die größte Scheisse die ich je gesehen habe." :lol:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Yeah, you're right. And unless that ultimate goty costs only between 10 and 15 € they can stick it where the sun don't shine. I saw a bit of Skyrim on youtube as well. It appears to be just a happy hiker with dragons.

JarlFrank wrote:

Danke. That's indeed herp derp. What is this, the Sims? No, that's definitely not worth € 20.

Well shit. I guess the days of real exp-packs is over. They've gotten away with squeezing the 'New Generation' players dry with as little effort as possible. I'm glad I taught my daughter different. She's very young still, but she loves Fallout 2, BG 2, and VtMB. She understands that Graphics are secondary at best, and that action can be had in strategy and planning.

I was so proud of her when she declared: "Mama, Dragon Age 2 ist die größte Scheisse die ich je gesehen habe." :lol:
Skyrim is easily worth more than $20 for just the vanilla. I never buy new games and I only bought Skyrim because it was at a Pawn Shop last Dec (nearly a new release) for like $15.00. Otherwise I would have waited for the GOTY on PC (which I still plan to get)

-Even on the PS3 with no mods and not even any Xpacs AND the shittiest version available, bugs and all- Its a fun game. I bitch about it because of what it could have been but its still a good game which I am still having fun with.

Its waaaay better than Oblivion (which I also had some fun in...But was very disappointing) and once the GOTY edition comes out it will be worth $50.00 (on PC) IMHO

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Danke. That's indeed herp derp. What is this, the Sims?

Yes, it is. You can also adopt children in that DLC and have a family with your spouse + kids.

I'm glad I taught my daughter different. She's very young still, but she loves Fallout 2, BG 2, and VtMB. She understands that Graphics are secondary at best, and that action can be had in strategy and planning.

:salute:

Keep on fighting the good fight. There is still hope for the future.

once the GOTY edition comes out it will be worth $50.00 (on PC) IMHO

50? Nah. Maybe around 30. Definitely not 50.

roll-a-die

Magister
Ah another TES conoseur then...and a mod learned one at that....imagine find you in the Holy Codex
Fascinating
BTW Sabrina good thing you have not given Skyrim to your daughter then, there is necrofilia, cannibalism, incest and all sort of stuff not too common in other RPGs....I happen to like it very much and the "best after Morrowin" is spot on....not very RPG (more RPG Lite) but satisfying and fun, hell isnt that was gaming is supposed to be about?
Believe it or not, I was part of the team that originally started development on FCOM, back when it was going through near weekly name changes(No I'm not DevAKM, though he is a pretty cool guy and would probably fit right in at the codex. Unfortunately if I remember right he got a job that prevents him from modding.) I also worked on OOO for a bit. I left because I joined the codex after realizing nothing could save Oblivion from being an exceptionally bad game. As well s realizing the general decline of vidya games over the past decade. All the mods in the world did nothing to make that game look better, play better, etc. It was all just complete shit. Which is why I can say, Skyrim is better than Oblivion. Less than a month ago I replayed Oblivion just to confirm my beliefs again, I got to martin then stopped, it was just too much of a shit storm.

Sabriana

Learned
@Dark PenguiN
No, I've taken to wait for games to hit the bargain bin with all DLC attached. I don't believe in paying extra for bits and pieces of content. I hate malware DRM with a passion. If bleeding their customers dry by small cuts, and treating them like potential thieves is their thing, then waiting a few years until I purchase is mine.

I have yet to buy any DLC for any game unless it was given to me, or it was bundled into the cheap pack. I've stricken ubisoft and several other companies permanently off my 'buy' list until their games come out on gog.com. I've browsed gog just recently, and Assassins Creed is on it now. I might give it a try, even though it's not a real crpg, the way I interpret them for me.

But yes, I can, and I will wait. Death by tiny cuts is not my thing, nor is infesting my PC with malware DRM.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Ah another TES conoseur then...and a mod learned one at that....imagine find you in the Holy Codex
Fascinating
BTW Sabrina good thing you have not given Skyrim to your daughter then, there is necrofilia, cannibalism, incest and all sort of stuff not too common in other RPGs....I happen to like it very much and the "best after Morrowin" is spot on....not very RPG (more RPG Lite) but satisfying and fun, hell isnt that was gaming is supposed to be about?
Believe it or not, I was part of the team that originally started development on FCOM, back when it was going through near weekly name changes(No I'm not DevAKM, though he is a pretty cool guy and would probably fit right in at the codex. Unfortunately if I remember right he got a job that prevents him from modding.) I also worked on OOO for a bit. I left because I joined the codex after realizing nothing could save Oblivion from being an exceptionally bad game. As well s realizing the general decline of vidya games over the past decade. All the mods in the world did nothing to make that game look better, play better, etc. It was all just complete shit. Which is why I can say, Skyrim is better than Oblivion. Less than a month ago I replayed Oblivion just to confirm my beliefs again, I got to martin then stopped, it was just too much of a shit storm.
-What did you think og the "mad God" stuff.
I never played vanilla Oblivion and never did the awful main quest with the gates (became very boring after a few hours) but I found the Mad God stuff to be very good... A bit short but good.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
sheogorath stuff was as shit as oblivion vanilla

the only good thing was his accent, and some fucktards think it made everything else awesome

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

the only good thing was his accent, and some fucktards think it made everything else awesome
His accent was kinda cool =P

-IDK I thought it was a pretty cool questline. Saved Oblivion for me since I thought it was pretty generic in the vanilla area and thought the mad God stuff was at least creative and interesting... Then again, I DID admit to liking FF7 so my opinions are not codex approved.

Sabriana

Learned

-IDK I thought it was a pretty cool questline. Saved Oblivion for me since I thought it was pretty generic in the vanilla area and thought the mad God stuff was at least creative and interesting... Then again, I DID admit to liking FF7 so my opinions are not codex approved.

Don't let that deter you. I am an avid supporter of the 'old time' RPG's, but reading through the forum I know that I also am not Codex Approved simply because of my gender. I browsed through GD and Retardo, and decided that those forums (fora?) are best ignored. I come here for the games, and in that matter, I've not been disappointed yet. They can keep their limited views as long as they don't interfere with my objective: finding good games, good mods, and good future prospects. And so far, this forum delivered admirably.

If you post in any forum here, the only advise that I can give you is the advice I give to my girl: Never let them see you sweat.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Don't let that deter you. I am an avid supporter of the 'old time' RPG's, but reading through the forum I know that I also am not Codex Approved simply because of my gender. I browsed through GD and Retardo, and decided that those forums (fora?) are best ignored. I come here for the games, and in that matter, I've not been disappointed yet. They can keep their limited views as long as they don't interfere with my objective: finding good games, good mods, and good future prospects. And so far, this forum delivered admirably.

If you post in any forum here, the only advise that I can give you is the advice I give to my girl: Never let them see you sweat.
Thanks. Yeah this forum is fantastic and seems like most are quite intelligent and pretty hardcore. I think a bit elitist as well, but that makes for good discussions as some of these people really put alot of thought into game mechanics and such- And have interesting perspectives.

I lurked here for awhile before signing up and actually debated it. My tastes are far more broad I think and I am less of a connoisseur I suppose- But yeah, I have learned about more obscure RPGs and RPG terms here in the last week then ...Ever. Forum is by far a cut above-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom