Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

DraQ

Arcane
Fallout's world building doesn't save it from being a bad game gameplay wise. Fallout 2 did nothing to fix that. The same could be said for all the Holy Trinity games.
I don't think there are good RPGs when you think about it.
:smug:

Well, you did forget in your calculations that Bloodmoon adds a new landmass to explore, with lots of new dungeons too. There's no new landmass in Dawnguard and not as many new dungeons, either.
Tribunal, then?

Yeah, you're right. And unless that ultimate goty costs only between 10 and 15 € they can stick it where the sun don't shine. I saw a bit of Skyrim on youtube as well. It appears to be just a happy hiker with dragons.
Actually, as one of the most vocal pre-release haters I can say that Skyrim isn't half bad.

Sure, it has some outrageous shit - no spellmakers, spell effects cut, a lot of linearity in dungeons, no attributes, no chargen (so you're forced to start as JoAT-lite), no repair, bad weapon/armour material progression and lore, very bad pacing in the questlines and quite a bit of derpy writing too, dragons being a bit of cliffracers 2.0 (which is a bit of a personal insult for me) - but that's not all that is to it.

World, general ambience and use of graphics is much closer to MW than OB, races look distinct from each other and have Morrowindish look to them rather than looking like multicoloured cancerous tumours, NPC dialogue generally doesn't make you want to hit the interlocutor in the face with daedric warhammer (apart from guards), there is strife present in the world, there are distinct racial groups that make sense rather than everything being homogenized together (you have Khajiiti trade caravans, Argonian communities of dock workers, Orcs isolating themselves in tribal strongholds, Dunmer refugees from Morrowind and so on), world is generally darker and less derpy, most of dungeons have at least some unique accents making them memorable, there are a lot of interesting overland locations, crime system is fractured into individual holds and more refined than anything after Daggerfall, plus there are numerous random events to liven things up.

Mechanically, outrageous simplifications and dumbing down aside, Beth has finally managed to dodge late game de-specialization with their perk system and no leveling of magicka/health/stamina unless specifically invested into. The wielding system is surprisingly clever and similar to what I was proposing after Oblivion hit the fan(s), although it could use some refinement, magic system has actually inclined in few places - wards, runes, concentration spells, having to raise actual corpses with necromancy), there are some anti-grind measures in place for some skills (context checking), scaling is far less pronounced, and some weapon and armour styles are mostly placed in a way that makes sense in universe (Thalmor using elven armour, Orcs having some finely crafted orcish gear in their strongholds, dwarven stuff being often found in Dwemer ruins and so on).

It's not Morrowind, it's much less of an RPG than it should, some outtakes are just facepalm worthy given how well would they mesh with the game if they were left in (spellmaker, extra spell effects, repair, mysticism, attributes, etc.) but not only is it easily the best TES since OB (which doesn't cut it, because with only OB to compete with it would be hard for it to not be the best TES since Morrowind), but it's actually fun and enjoyable game. It also gives some hope for both TES and cRPGs in general in the future, because it's pretty evident that despite commercial success of OB, Beth got scared of pissed off MW fans and that they are still searching, albeit in a very clumsy and haphazard manner that breaks shit more often than it fixes it, for ways to improve the games, not just the profits.

Danke. That's indeed herp derp. What is this, the Sims? No, that's definitely not worth € 20.
Actually, I'm pretty happy with there being optional DLCs crafted specifically to milk simsfags. Anything that sequesters them and keeps them away from the rest of us is a good move.

I haven't played Dawnguard, but I fear it will become de-facto obligatory for modding reasons.
I was so proud of her when she declared: "Mama, Dragon Age 2 ist die größte Scheisse die ich je gesehen habe." :lol:
:bro: for that.
:salute:

Gord

Arcane
JarlFrank wrote:

Dawnguards adds one additional questline and some new items and features, so it's definitely not an expansion pack, but for a DLC it's pretty large. I torrented it though so I wouldn't know what it costs. It's definitely not worth the price of a full expansion pack.

The new one is just herp derp you can build your own house. Not worth any money at all because I'm fairly certain there are mods that do the same.

Danke. That's indeed herp derp. What is this, the Sims? No, that's definitely not worth € 20.

Yeah,seems the success with Skyrim went to their heads. 20€ is definitely too much.
The best DLCs, overall, I've played so far have been for New Vegas - and they have been priced much lower while offering more.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
2z5k5d1.png

:mca:
This might just be the greatest Post I have ever seen... It brought tears to my eyes with its epicness.

roll-a-die

Magister
JarlFrank wrote:

Dawnguards adds one additional questline and some new items and features, so it's definitely not an expansion pack, but for a DLC it's pretty large. I torrented it though so I wouldn't know what it costs. It's definitely not worth the price of a full expansion pack.

The new one is just herp derp you can build your own house. Not worth any money at all because I'm fairly certain there are mods that do the same.

Yeah,seems the success with Skyrim went to their heads. 20€ is definitely too much.
The best DLCs, overall, I've played so far have been for New Vegas - and they have been priced much lower while offering more.

Hearthfires is 5 dollars bro, not 20. And assuming steam isn't being stupid about it, it's like around 3 euros maybe 4 depending VAT.

Gord

Arcane
Hearthfires is 5 dollars bro, not 20. And assuming steam isn't being stupid about it, it's like around 3 euros maybe 4 depending VAT.

My statement has been about Dawnguard, not Hearthfire (which can be subbstituted with a free mod on pc, unless you absolutely need to adopt children...).
And no, it's 5 Euros, Steam doesn't care much about exchange rates. :(

Decent essay, but
most of dungeons have at least some unique accents making them memorable

I actually can't recall anything from most of those dungeons. Those little unique gimmicks were just flooded by hordes of Draugrs and copy-pasted dragon claw / eagle-snake-whale puzzles, and dungeons with more 'unique' content like NPCs (Hillgrund's Tomb?) or Dragon Priest masks are similarly more or less the same stuff.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
faces.gif

Please, don't. For the sake of innocent children, don't.

Sul

Savant
Well, I guess I'll some post my Morrowind folder. There's a total of 89 images, both artworks and concept arts, but now I'm too lazy to post them all.
Man, that stuff is incredible... Did you make these or just collect them?
I just randomly collected them on 4chan's /v/ and /vg/ boards.

Well, I guess I'll some post my Morrowind folder. There's a total of 89 images, both artworks and concept arts, but now I'm too lazy to post them all.

:bounce:

What else do you have in your Morrowind folder?
Here you go!

Some samples:
29pyw0m.jpg

v66pgz.jpg

kq3p2.jpg

3523rrn.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Decent essay, but
most of dungeons have at least some unique accents making them memorable

I actually can't recall anything from most of those dungeons. Those little unique gimmicks were just flooded by hordes of Draugrs and copy-pasted dragon claw / eagle-snake-whale puzzles, and dungeons with more 'unique' content like NPCs (Hillgrund's Tomb?) or Dragon Priest masks are similarly more or less the same stuff.
Minor stuff, usually - a piece of backstory, NPCs, hints of stuff that hapened in that dungeon, environmental storytelling.

Still, minor doesn't mean bad.

Eaglesnakewhale puzzles (and owlmothbear ones) were indeed facepam worthy. They could've been used once, but repeated all over the place?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
NPC dialogue generally doesn't make you want to hit the interlocutor in the face with daedric warhammer
It definitely did for me. At no point could I take the Nords seriously because the dialogue reads like something from a really bad viking parody: mentally challenged drunks who can't speak a single sentence without mentioning fighting, drinking and/or honor. Compared to Bloodmoon it's a disgrace. Also, if someone's a bad guy, you'll know it immediately when the person opens his/her mouth, because what comes out is usually something along the lines of "don't fuck with me or I'll kill you because I'm such a bad and powerful guy". The same thing applies to pretty much any character who's supposed to have at least a bit of personality. It's simply awful, and it's made even worse by how cheesy most of the storylines are. The other races are written notably better than the Nords, but it's still pretty bland and banal overall.

Bahamut

Arcane
In the other popamole news,

Thanks to View Post! .DAEMON. !for this

DLC markings about Solstheim:
http://i46.tinypic.com/r77gj9.jpg

Something about Dragon riding, Woo!:
http://i45.tinypic.com/1skuvp.jpg

Big Thanks to mardoxx for finding this

"Next DLC will be called Dragonborn. It is set in Solstheim. Main locations are Raven Rock, Miraak Temple, Castle Karstaag and Telvanni Tower. You will might be able to ride dragons. Also, new armor types, possibly horse (?) Bomemold, Chitin, Nordic and Stalhrim.

There are references to new creatures too, Riekling, Scrib (lol), Netch.. etc

PS3 DLC will come soon and so will mounted spell casting.

(*from)

This could, of cause, be an elaborate troll on Bethesda's part! The naming in Translate_*.txt is correct though,http://tsdr.uspto.go...pe=statusSearch"

BenthicLurkerCharacter.hkx
Boar.hkx
BallistaCenturion.hkx
HMDaedraCharacter.hkx
NetchCharacter.hkx
RieklingCharacter.hk
Scrib.hkx

Character00 and Character01? Also Apo* and Benthic* if that means anything to anyone?

Idle animations IdleChiselStandingWipeBrow, IdleChiselKneelingWiggle, etc

MagicMountedBehavior.hkx --

Someone with more experience with CK games can probably extract more information.

///Mardoxx

Link to the first thread

http://forums.bethso...he-latest-beta/

To the 2nd thread

http://forums.bethso...und-in-18-beta/

data\interface\Translate_english.txt
$Crafting_$DLC2ArmorBonemold BONEMOLD
$Crafting_$DLC2ArmorChitin CHITIN
$Crafting_$DLC2ArmorNordic NORDIC
$Crafting_$DLC2ArmorStalhrim STALHRIM
$Dragonborn Quests Completed Dragonborn Quests Completed
$DRAGONBORN_ESMName Dragonborn
$DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT_PS3 DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

update.bsa\interface\exported\hudmenu.gfx & quest_journal.gfx
Hudmenu compass markers/quest journal quest header:

http://i.imgur.com/ldx1a.png

http://i.imgur.com/mWGUj.png

update.bsa\interface\startmenu.swf\startmenu.as:
MainList.entryList.push({text: "$DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT" + (iPlatform == 3 ? "_PS3" : ""), index: StartMenu.DLC_INDEX, disabled: false});

Update.bsa\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt
DragonMountedDualMagic.txt
DragonMountedDualStaff.txt
DragonMountedMLhSolo.txt
DragonMountedMLhStaff.txt
DragonMountedMRhSolo.txt
DragonMountedMRhSolo_ShieldOrTorch.txt
DragonMountedMRhStaff.txt

Paired_DLC02RipHeartOut

DraQ

Arcane
NPC dialogue generally doesn't make you want to hit the interlocutor in the face with daedric warhammer
It definitely did for me. At no point could I take the Nords seriously because the dialogue reads like something from a really bad viking parody: mentally challenged drunks who can't speak a single sentence without mentioning fighting, drinking and/or honor. Compared to Bloodmoon it's a disgrace. Also, if someone's a bad guy, you'll know it immediately when the person opens his/her mouth, because what comes out is usually something along the lines of "don't fuck with me or I'll kill you because I'm such a bad and powerful guy". The same thing applies to pretty much any character who's supposed to have at least a bit of personality. It's simply awful, and it's made even worse by how cheesy most of the storylines are. The other races are written notably better than the Nords, but it's still pretty bland and banal overall.
You probably haven't played oblivious then.
NPC chatter in that game just hurt you directly in the BRIAN brain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom