Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

DraQ

Arcane
It's modular like Wakim's Game Improvements, you can simply not use the Spell changes if you dislike them.
The thing is that some changes are spot on (giving NPCs their own spellset?), but chop-happy approach to effects is mind bogglinggly retarded.
BTB even disabled effects for no other reason than seeing no point in having them usable in spellmaking (dispel), without them actually breaking anything.
:hearnoevil:

Shit, I really need to sit down and make my own Game Improvements mod.
:x

Luzur

Good Sir
:what:

this is fugly

EDIT: his name is Miraak and he's a Dragon Priest of Hermaeus Mora hurr

IMG_1225.jpg

better

Also, did they basically released a trailer for a trailer? Todd is so full of shit.

is that Todd and Pete back there in the furry costumes?

Luzur

Good Sir
The last quest reward will be an Ohgma Infinium you can read over and over for max everything. Sweeeeeet.
Like the rest of the Daedric quests, forcefully shoved down the player's throat, you can get the Ohgma Infinium by doing a little side job for him during the MQ.

go even close to a shrine and you are sucked in like dust into a vacuum cleaner.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
is that Todd and Pete back there in the furry costumes?
Everyone knows how furry costumes parties end like.

So much spooge, swallowing and lack of self-dignity.

Sul

Savant
The place with all the books where you fight that Starspawn of Cthulhu is likely the Apocrypha, Hermaeus Mora's realm.
Funny how the TES Lore forums managed to anticipate the whole Dragon Priest turned Hermaeus servant just by analyzing the mask even before the trailer be released. Makes sense, you got your typical Dragon Priest mask but with a bunch of tentacles hanging around.

Hmm, I guess you can mix-and-match Wakim's plugins with BTB's in a way that you override unwanted changes but keep the desired ones. Shouldn't be too hard if you're used to the construction set. Then upload the file on the Nexus as DraQ's GI (Great Incline). C'mon! Put all that sperg from the Workshop to good use!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
After Almalexia gave her evil speech at the end of Tribunal, I opened the inventory, drank twenty sujamma and killed her in one hit.

And that was a "goddess". Don't get me even started on the aspect of Hircine in Bloodmoon.
Well, I had some trouble with that fight, but after I came down to 10% health, I remembered for the first time that I had potions and I could drink them. Then defeated her.

But that's when I realized I never drank the potions I had. I never used them against Dagoth Ur or the Ash Vampires or pretty much anyone. So I had completely forgotten about healing/buffing potions in Morrowind; they were unessential, even to a pure fighter.

I think in the end, Divath Fyr may have been the hardest fight in all of Morrowind. He was fast with his blade, he had daedric armour, he could summon a frost atronach, and he had some decent offensive spells. He was the closest to what an above average player character would be.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Umbra was the toughest NPC in Morrowind, he at least could kill any non-high level character in one hit.

Gord

Arcane
The hardest enemy I remember in Morrowind was that annoying Bosmer in the Tribunal expansion.
He wore full ebony armor, IIRC, and his luck was at such insanely high levels that it took me ages to get his health down.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The hardest enemy I remember in Morrowind was that annoying Bosmer in the Tribunal expansion.
Agreed. Tribunal and Bloodmoon were much tougher in general. In the main game I could kill everything really easily with my severely non-powergamed sword and shield guy, but even Tribunal's goblins gave me more trouble than Umbra or Divayth Fyr, not to mention Bloodmoon's werewolves and other stuff.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There was also the thing that the guards in Bloodmoon were way tougher than Dagoth Ur.
Don't you mean guards in Tribunal?

180px-TR-npc-High_Ordinator.jpg

Yeah, although all they had was just very bloated armor rating and health.

One of the really biggest threats had been that Black Dart gang in Tribunal sewers.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Tribunal was a masterpiece of bad design. I hate to say that, because at the time it was easily my favourite part of the game, but it was clearly rushed out to capitalise on Morrowind's unexpected success with little concern for balance, consistency or, for a large part, quality. The player is railroaded into performing the most idiotic tasks with nary a peep of protest; sure, an RPG staple, but ashstorms over Mournhold? Really? The Dark Brotherhood plotline that gets you into the expansion in the first place just drops off the narrative radar without any real conclusion at all, sending you into the "Main Quest" - a bunch of loosely-tied-together fetch quests for Almalexia with nothing tying them together and no motivation for the player except "well, uh, we were married in a previous life, lol", and I'm not sure what killing liches has to do with that. The hidden tongue, the murder of the previous ruler, Barenziah's general existence... hell, what wasn't dropped off the radar a few quests in? Doing dumb fetch quests for a ginger bint in a bikini? The difficulty is all over the place, with random thugs in the sewers insta-killing your Nerevarine, evil peasants turning out to have superpowers, fucking Gaenor, your average goblin mook doing more damage than any other enemy in the game and carrying a lumpy wooden sword on a par with Daedric weapons; if I recall correctly, the goblin swords did up to 70 damage! The dual paths of Helseth and Almalexia end up not being used at all after the first few quests, and are buggy as hell when they are. Helseth's presence was the perfect opportunity to offer an alternative to the dumbfuck Almalexia questline, or at least a handwave of "I think she's definitely up to something, play a long until you get the opportunity to discover her long game". That's literally all he had to say. But he doesn't.

It's rare these days that railroaded narrative is enough to wrest my enjoyment out of a game, but hell if Tribunal didn't manage it on a recent replay.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Tribunal was a masterpiece of bad design. I hate to say that, because at the time it was easily my favourite part of the game, but it was clearly rushed out to capitalise on Morrowind's unexpected success with little concern for balance, consistency or, for a large part, quality. The player is railroaded into performing the most idiotic tasks with nary a peep of protest; sure, an RPG staple, but ashstorms over Mournhold? Really? The Dark Brotherhood plotline that gets you into the expansion in the first place just drops off the narrative radar without any real conclusion at all, sending you into the "Main Quest" - a bunch of loosely-tied-together fetch quests for Almalexia with nothing tying them together and no motivation for the player except "well, uh, we were married in a previous life, lol", and I'm not sure what killing liches has to do with that. The hidden tongue, the murder of the previous ruler, Barenziah's general existence... hell, what wasn't dropped off the radar a few quests in? Doing dumb fetch quests for a ginger bint in a bikini? The difficulty is all over the place, with random thugs in the sewers insta-killing your Nerevarine, evil peasants turning out to have superpowers, fucking Gaenor, your average goblin mook doing more damage than any other enemy in the game and carrying a lumpy wooden sword on a par with Daedric weapons; if I recall correctly, the goblin swords did up to 70 damage! The dual paths of Helseth and Almalexia end up not being used at all after the first few quests, and are buggy as hell when they are. Helseth's presence was the perfect opportunity to offer an alternative to the dumbfuck Almalexia questline, or at least a handwave of "I think she's definitely up to something, play a long until you get the opportunity to discover her long game". That's literally all he had to say. But he doesn't.

It's rare these days that railroaded narrative is enough to wrest my enjoyment out of a game, but hell if Tribunal didn't manage it on a recent replay.
All of this is completely true about Tribunal.

Yet...I managed to enjoy it a little at times?

What was creative was how they made a network of sewers with each part of the sewers being used for different questlines. So they were an opportunity to handle several quests at once. That way, it felt like a tightly knit set of areas with interconnected quests, rather than a world having isolated places with isolated quests.

But what extremely irritated me was the outcome - everyone refused to believe Almalexia was dead, and it changed nothing about the world. It's like the developers put that to annoy the gamer.

attackfighter

Magister
The assassin plotline can be resolved, you just have to wait until the Almalexia questline is resolved iirc.

Helseth was behind it all along!

In fact, I'm not sure, but I think you're advised to do Almalexia's bidding in order to uncover leads on the assassinations. My memories extremely foggy though, since I last played Tribunal 7 or so years ago, so it could be that I'm totally wrong. DraQ probably knows...

The main problem I had with Tribunal was the level scaled goblins of doom. I didn't abuse game mechanics, so I fought them legit. While I always came out on top, fighting them took quite a long time, and I had to fight them lots since they respawned in key areas. I remember a single group of them could take out a huge chunk of my weapon and armour conditions.

Otherwise Mournhold was a pretty cool little town, and asides from the respawning Goblins the sewers/caves were fun to explore as well.

There's also the fact that it marked the beginning of Bethesda's "eh, just lump it there" style of introducing expansions / DLC. I guess it works well enough for someone installing it midway through the game. Start a new game with Tribunal loaded, though? You get attacked by an assassin wearing great, expensive armor the first time you go to sleep. Balancing is for lesser men.

Statik

Educated
There's also the fact that it marked the beginning of Bethesda's "eh, just lump it there" style of introducing expansions / DLC. I guess it works well enough for someone installing it midway through the game. Start a new game with Tribunal loaded, though? You get attacked by an assassin wearing great, expensive armor the first time you go to sleep. Balancing is for lesser men.
The assassins of doom at level 1 bothered me too. Just how hard would it have been to make them appear later in the game, once the player reached a certain point in the main quest or something?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I actually started playing Morrowind two weeks ago. 1 hour into the game an assassin attacks me and drops gear that would probably normally only drop at the end of the game.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Do it, do it! :bounce:

I actually started playing Morrowind two weeks ago. 1 hour into the game an assassin attacks me and drops gear that would probably normally only drop at the end of the game.
Yeah, that's Tribunal brokenness, just ignore that shit if you don't want to ruin your game.

roll-a-die

Magister
The assassins of doom at level 1 bothered me too. Just how hard would it have been to make them appear later in the game, once the player reached a certain point in the main quest or something?
A simple script tied to the assassin's spawn trigger. It took modders like 5 minutes to put one out after tribunal. It's included by default/as an option in most of the patch/balance fixing mods.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yeah, that's Tribunal brokenness, just ignore that shit if you don't want to ruin your game.
Unfortunately, I had no idea that the Mournhold quests were part of a separate expansion.

I got myself a single goblin club, and that took me all the way to the end of Morrowind main quest. I kept thinking, "Shouldn't there be a better weapon somewhere? This was a low level one." When I finally got a Daedric Daikatana from the main quest, I was disappointed that it did the same damage! That too for two handed! When a goblin club is one handed!

The money from the loot of Dark Brotherhood assassins was also enough for two or three levels of training. But I'm glad, because I put it mostly in Acrobatics and Athletics, so I could jump and run through Morrowind faster (this game's movement speed is excruciatingly slow).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom