Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
In fact, I'm not sure, but I think you're advised to do Almalexia's bidding in order to uncover leads on the assassinations. My memories extremely foggy though, since I last played Tribunal 7 or so years ago, so it could be that I'm totally wrong. DraQ probably knows...

The main problem I had with Tribunal was the level scaled goblins of doom. I didn't abuse game mechanics, so I fought them legit. While I always came out on top, fighting them took quite a long time, and I had to fight them lots since they respawned in key areas. I remember a single group of them could take out a huge chunk of my weapon and armour conditions.

Otherwise Mournhold was a pretty cool little town, and asides from the respawning Goblins the sewers/caves were fun to explore as well.
Mournhold guards will point you to the sewers to find the Dark Brotherhood, and you find a note signed by "H" on the leader's body.

After that, you can either try and win Helseth's trust or go work for the Temple immediately.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The assassin plotline can be resolved, you just have to wait until the Almalexia questline is resolved iirc.

Helseth was behind it all along!
Yeah, I remember that, it just felt... tacked-on. He's just like "oh, sorry bro, was a total mistake, bros right?" and the quest ends. You can kill him yourself, I guess, but there's not even a dialogue option to challenge him or even call him out. His reason given, I think, is just something like "I thought you were a threat". Once again, we're expected just to accept "you're the Nerevarine lol" as a perfect motivation for everything in the Main Quest. I can see what happened with its development now, but at the time I was genuinely confused and thought I'd missed/bugged something along the way.

It definitely had a lot of cool sidequests, though, Mournhold was a great city. Overall, I remember it feeling like a tight, polished experience compared to the original game, and something I really looked forward to exploring every time I replayed (which was, um, more than I can remember). It's only in the last couple of years that I've picked up on how... unprofessional my beloved Tribunal really was :(

msxyz

Augur
There's also the fact that it marked the beginning of Bethesda's "eh, just lump it there" style of introducing expansions / DLC. I guess it works well enough for someone installing it midway through the game. Start a new game with Tribunal loaded, though? You get attacked by an assassin wearing great, expensive armor the first time you go to sleep. Balancing is for lesser men.
The assassins of doom at level 1 bothered me too. Just how hard would it have been to make them appear later in the game, once the player reached a certain point in the main quest or something?
A simple script tied to the assassin's spawn trigger. It took modders like 5 minutes to put one out after tribunal. It's included by default/as an option in most of the patch/balance fixing mods.
I remember that, after being attacked by an assassin the first time I slept on the road to Balmora,I fired up the editor and, within minutes, I was able to add an 'if / then' condition to the script spawning assassins. I made a simple check against the completion of main quest so that they wouldn't appear before Dagoth was defeated.

DraQ

Arcane
My main beef with Helseth is that the game doesn't react adequately to you slaughtering him.
It's justifiable in case of Tribunal, because try to walk into a church and say "I killed Jesus, lol", but in case of perfectly mundane king there is no such justification.
It should've been a complete, utter shitstorm.

Also, TR is very railroaded - idiot ball is sort of explained away by playing along, but the linearity isn't and trying to break it by doing stuff out of order may end up making the MQ unfinishable (been there, done that).

TR does deserve credit for one thing, though - successfully implementing cursed item in game with auto identification and no built in curse mechanics. Helseth is pretty magnificent bastard.

Power level in general is typical late expansion issue, although lack of check in the script is unforgivable.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My main beef with Helseth is that the game doesn't react adequately to you slaughtering him.
It's justifiable in case of Tribunal, because try to walk into a church and say "I killed Jesus, lol", but in case of perfectly mundane king there is no such justification.
It should've been a complete, utter shitstorm.

Also, TR is very railroaded - idiot ball is sort of explained away by playing along, but the linearity isn't and trying to break it by doing stuff out of order may end up making the MQ unfinishable (been there, done that).

TR does deserve credit for one thing, though - successfully implementing cursed item in game with auto identification and no built in curse mechanics. Helseth is pretty magnificent bastard.

Power level in general is typical late expansion issue, although lack of check in the script is unforgivable.
I never understood why even "playing along" justified you going with Almalexia's kooky schemes like bringing the blight storms down upon Mourhold. For some reason.

Anyone noticed how The Elder Scrolls' Expansion #1 is mostly bullshit centered around a single questline (Tribunal / KotN / Dawnguard) more or less integrated into the main game, while the #2 has a completely separate, detached worldspace in which the entirety of it takes place? (Bloodmoon / Shivering Isles / Dragonborn)

I want to take back that "bullshit" regarding Tribunal, though the lack of any choice regarding stupid Almalexia's whims (oh yeah you could ignore her quests, sry) in the MQ deserves it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I want to admit something.

I never finished Bloodmoon, because I put it down the moment I saw a Nordic shaman start talking about "Oneness".

Silly kneejerk reaction or good prescience that it was a sign of things to come?

I simply don't react very well to the nature-loving savage vs. tree-cutting civilized folk cliche.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
So, I've been without a gaming computer for months now due to being overseas, and one of the games I have a hard on for when I get back is Skyrim. Are there any major mods I should be on the look out for when the time comes? I've been hoping for some kind of overhaul mod that focuses on balancing the economy, adding items and crafts, and perhaps tweaking combat and/or magic.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Anyone noticed how The Elder Scrolls' Expansion #1 is mostly bullshit centered around a single questline (Tribunal / KotN / Dawnguard) more or less integrated into the main game, while the #2 has a completely separate, detached worldspace in which the entirety of it takes place? (Bloodmoon / Shivering Isles / Dragonborn)
I don't think you're being fair to Tribunal. It does take place on an entirely new area that is completely different than anything in the main game, and it stands on its own feet just as much as Bloodmoon does. The lack of exploration and side quests could be seen as flaws, but with expansions you can usually expect that, and I kind of like how Tribunal offers a slightly different approach compared to the main game. Tribunal is linear, true, but so are the main questlines in Morrowind and Bloodmoon as well. Bloodmoon is a bit bigger, has a fair amount of exploration and adds werewolves, but it's not that much better overall. Then again, I haven't played any of the Oblivion or Skyrim expansions so I don't know how they're any different.

I prefer this one, the approach is a little more complex.

An alternative level progression curve for players: the initial growth level is hard, but level progression is more linear and from 35th level the levelcap is less high than vanilla version. So you must gain more xp (skill improvement) than vanilla for every levelup from 1th to 34th level, but after 35th level your needed XPs for levelup progressively go down respect vanilla version (see the excel file for details). I find this solution more equilibrated and suggested for the initial Dragonborn training. Best for a new game! I.e. in combination with Skyrim Community Uncapper

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18216

Well, makes sense, the second type must take a lot longer to develop. Even if it doesn't, if you release a small expansion after a big one people will be less interested.

Gord

Arcane

Sul

Savant

Meh, that shot alone does not look fundamentally better to some scenes in Skyrim, which has been a huge improvement over Oblivion in terms of world design.
I do agree though that we are likely to see stuff from the Andoran (or sureAI with Enderal) team that will be a lot better than what Bethesda did in Skyrim.
At least it looks like a nordic village contrary of Skyrim and Oblivion where always seems like houses are randomly placed or perfecly aligned in rows.

Gord

Arcane
As if anyone of us knows what a "nordic vilage" really looked like ;)

Sul

Savant
As if anyone of us knows what a "nordic vilage" really looked like ;)
I'm talking about the structure in general. You can cleary see how the most important building on the most defensible spot or how the houses are placed around the hill on a more natural manner.

Netch_wLegal.jpg

Redoran Tavern:

RedoranTavern.jpg

Raven Rock:

RavenRock.jpg

Redoran Guard (in what looks like Gah-Julan Bonemold Armor)

RedoranGuard.jpg

Seeker in Apocrypha

Seeker.jpg

Key Features

Explore Beyond Skyrim
Leave the province of Skyrim and travel to the coastal island of Solstheim. Encounter the Dark Elven settlers of Raven Rock and the native Skaal, as you unravel the mystery of a Dragonborn’s return.
Become the Ultimate Dragonborn
Harness the power of the Voice as you face off against the first Dragonborn. Wield new shouts and spells including Dragon Aspect – allowing you to summon the inner power of a dragon to deliver colossal blows and strengthen other shouts.
New Powers
Discover dark powers as you journey into a new Daedric realm. Collect books of forbidden knowledge and choose new paths for your skills and abilities.
New dungeons, creatures, weapons, and more
Suit up in Bonemold and Chitin armors and wield Stalhrim weapons as you navigate through a myriad of dungeons. Battle formidable foes like Ash Spawn, Rieklings, and more.

^ Bethesda sheeple thinking theres a volcano on Solstheim

Also, bland texture on the ground, the whole worldspace probably be as shitty and empty as Point Lookout or Soul Cairn.

And Bethesda's binary tier gear system will make the Morrowind gear worthless anyway without mods.

But I still kinda want to play it for the Redoran, Telvanni and Morrowind shtick.

yjU6P.jpg

:love:

Also, apparently people saw things like Scourge and Gravedigger on the trailer.

OH MY GOD look at that armor.... damn you bethesda for messing with my emotions like that

Can't tell if it's good or bad for you, but looks alright enough for me. Certainly leagues ahead of anything Morrowind from TES Online so far.

Those patch notes listed "Light Bonemold" and "Heavy Bonemold", so since Redoran is the 'warrior' house, the Light variant will probably be Armun-An.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom