Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Eyeball

Arcane
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281#

Opinions? Supposedly, it should make Skyrim at least on Morrowind level.
Played it. Opinion: It's kind of mislabeled, it should be called "Skyrim: Dark Souls edition. Also, fuck you!"

Basically, everything in the game twoshots you, it takes longer to level and everything is 1000x harder. On the upside, this goes for you as well, and it is more or less ESSENTIAL to carry a bow, at least early on. Being able to oneshot wolves and bandits while they rush at you stupidly is nice, but it really only brings out how derptastic the AI of the game is, which is made even worse by the way you pretty much have to exploit the poor pathfinding of enemies to survive a lot of fights. It thus brings out many flaws of the Skyrim engine, which is frankly undesirable. Skyrim wasn't BUILT to be hard or a skill-based game, trying to mod it into one is somewhat clunky at best. And while it's nice to finally have some challenge in the game, it really needs more playtesting, especially along the main quest path. Tried doing the first Draugr dungeon. Even regular Draugr are just about invincible to my level 2 Imperial, especially since you now have no spells from the game start and even a basic wimpy frost spell costs a mint.

Will keep playing for now, doubt it will hold. I DO love the fact that healing potions are actually really valuable now, even the crappy ones you can brew yourself.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I don't get why they're charging $20, though. I downloaded Dawnguard and the measly bit it adds to the game certainly isn't worth one third of the game's base price.

supply/demand

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
->Some leaked info, allegedly from a beta tester (seems legit).

Spears - I know there are some waiting for info on spears, but Bad News: Only the Reiklings have used them so far and if the player picks them up, they go into inventory as arrows.
:troll:

Cyclone - creates a small tornado (that is pretty funny to use)
Bend Will - force a dragon to fight with you.
Dragon Riding - player hasn't gotten to this one yet.
I wonder what special powers will they come up with in the next DLC; you make Red Mountain fuckin' erupt and invoke a series of deadly earthquakes? Why using any special powers at all, when you can simply beat anything to death in classic button-mashing manner?

Gord

Arcane
Can anyone who's using SkyRe coment on the difficulty of the game at level 25+ ?
Because since about that level, Skyrim has become a cake-walk even with SkyRe.
However, I updated from 0.99.16 to 0.99.21 around the same time, so I'm not sure if it's the update that's to blame.
DraQ, maybe?

^ I have to check out Expert because I'm disappointed in SkyRe Adept myself.

Mind you, this isn't Dark Souls, but if you're not paying attention, you can and will be killed, and it could be worse, but still - outside of Deadly Dragons Loremonger Edition(which is a different mod anyway) I find little challenge in the game so far.

EDIT: Actually, when I think of it, while I'm not really explicitly endangered by every mob, I always find myself out of potions after harder battles (Dragons/Draugr Deathlords/WarZones), and I'm having a lot of fun anyway.

If you're reading it and you don't know yet gusy make no mistake, T3nd0 is the Oscuro of Skyrim.

Gord

Arcane
It started out pretty good, with challenging battles and some areas where I had to return several level-ups later, but at around 25 it seemed that the enemies stopped to progress much.
Even Draugr Death Lords and several Scourges became easy trash mobs.

Hm, I should check difficulty again, might be that I have set it too low.
Edit: Well, it's on Expert, maybe I should swith to master?

Then again, I just ventured into a Dwemer ruin just to be repeatedly killed by Chauruses due to their poison attack...
Not sure if it probably is due to that update and cells only now startig to reset or something like that?

DraQ

Arcane
Can anyone who's using SkyRe coment on the difficulty of the game at level 25+ ?
Because since about that level, Skyrim has become a cake-walk even with SkyRe.
However, I updated from 0.99.16 to 0.99.21 around the same time, so I'm not sure if it's the update that's to blame.
DraQ, maybe?
I've just switched to Requiem, actually, but haven't really played yet.
Seems to be balanced through making everything OP, may be fun.

I'm using Erkeil's overhaul*. Having a blast. Each module is script-free, can be used alone and most have options, so even if you're already using an overhaul it's worth a look. A good module is the one that makes dragons both rarer and stronger (so they won't pester you like cliff racers, but will put up a fight when they do show up - additionally, they now have names and specializations so it's a bit more interesting than "A wild DRAGON appears!").

*well, actually I'm using the separate mods before they were combined into an overhaul. This new pack has some new things, such as better legendary items that aren't hopelessly outclassed by your self-enchanted shit

edit: Requiem sounds pretty cool and I've been thinking of trying it on a second character, despite a few "real is brown annoying" ideas, such as
Having a practically depleted stamina will result in a high risk of losing the grip on your weapon and shield and will also half all physical damage you deal

I foresee many reloads upon hard-earned victories being spoiled as you impotently see your weapon spiral down the mountain.

Gord

Arcane
I'm also using "Dragons Diversified" which replaces the standard dragons with more diverse variants, some of which have quite interesting special powers.
A few of them ramp up the difficulty quite a lot during the first 15 levels or such, esp. Dragon Frostsages can kill you in a few seconds.
However, since around level 25, they, too, lost much of their dread, and even ~10 different types of dragon start to repeat themselves eventually.
It's not maintained any more, so I'll probably use something else for a new game.

Erkeil's Overhaul looks interesting, but I'd also like to give SkyRe another chance. However, I'm not overly interested in playing until level 25 only to find out that yet again the game lost much of it's challenge.

Apparently they also ripped Morrowind's music

And the first Dunmer is a shameless lore-dump on House Redoran, Councillors, Blacklight etc voiced by fucking Avery Bullock from American Dad

Avery_Bullock.jpg

Sul

Savant
And the first Dunmer is a shameless lore-dump on House Redoran, Councillors, Blacklight etc voiced by fucking Avery Bullock from American Dad
While it's nice that Bethesda managed to do world building and lore right again they lost in the process part of the subtlety that made Morrowind great.

The bitch is a fucking consoletard that screams, squeaks, is constantly lost, has no idea about Morrowind or the game itself and skips through everything.

It's so retarded it's painful to watch.

Oh God, they raped Apocrypha hard...

Generic corridor with Seekers and random tentacles slapping you lethally, there are no books to read, everything is a "Ruined Book", at the end of the dungeon you open the big grimoire which gives you three green buttons for a blessing to choose from.

It's even worse than Soul Cairn.

I don't have a good feeling about this DLC.

EDIT: I want to LP some shit from Skyrim like that, as a rapist Orsimer Comradener Shpetard Gro-BRO, but I need some kind of rape mod for it. Any suggestions, or is anyone aware of hidden 'gems' like Sexlivion?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hey GeeZee, did they introduce another Serana style character for the DLC? Like a permanent tagalong for all quests?

From what I've seen, nope. There's supposedly a follower and marriage candidate in Skaal, but no forced companions.

Anyway, from what I've seen, some LORE and RIPOFFS and SUCH.

-House Redoran is the most powerful Great House now. They rose in prominence after the disasters in Morrowind, taking care of refugees and Blacklight is the Capital of Morrowind after Mournhold was sacked by Argonians.

- Raven Rock is a Redoran city now. It is a mix of abandoned colony from Bloodmoon and newly built Redoran buildings (with this staircase in the middle of the room leading into the basement, like those buildings from Ald-Ruhn. There is Cornerclub, Manors, a Temple and two Ancestral Tombs.

-Tel Mithryn is the Telvanni Tower (mushroom, not vine, though) and smaller mushrooms for the servants on the southeastern corner of Solstheim. The Telvanni Lord that resides there is Neloth from Sadrith Mora.

-The Tribunal is reformed - Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil were swapped with Azura, Mephala and Boethia. It's called "The House of Reclamations", i.e. how they reclaimed the faith of Dunmer people.

House Indoril is apparently the clergy.

-Ash Spawn is the new Draugr, they're rising from the ashes of Dunmer and are a "desecration". The game spams you with them in Ancestral Tombs and on the ashlands on the southern coast of Solstheim. Also back are: Netch, Silt Strider, maybe more. Ash Hopper is basically the Scrib.

-Morag Tong is in as enemies, like the Silver Hand, they are hostile (they carry Writs with your name on them). No clue why and how they got themselves back together. They are wearing black Chitin armor.

-Speaking of which, Bonemold Armor is Heavy Armor weaker than Steel Plate, Chitin comes in both Light and Heavy variants, so does Stalhrim. Also, Carved Nordic armors and weapons.

- Mazte, Flin, Sujamma and Greef; Scathecraw, Trama Root, Ash Yam are back so far, also: Netch Leather, Ash Hopper Jelly and Meat.

-Bethesda is trolling people - Werebears are in, but are unplayable, and Spears are arrows.

Miraak's (the guy from cover) goal is to brainwash everyone and be a bad dude overall. The first fucking thing he made after resurfacing was mindcontrolling people on Solstheim into building a fucking monument for him, fuck logic.

Also, three new Dragon Priests with their tentacle-ish masks.

Erkeil's Overhaul looks interesting, but I'd also like to give SkyRe another chance. However, I'm not overly interested in playing until level 25 only to find out that yet again the game lost much of it's challenge.

Hmm. I'm a level 20-21 and a bandit that catches me unaware can still kill me easily, often in one or two hits. Then again, I invested almost everything in magicka and wear no armor (I always maintain at least 50 AC because of Mage Armor, though). Yesterday I made the mistake of forgetting to send a summon to scout and a dual wielder that was tucked in a corner sent me flying out of the room. I guess that if you make a more defensive character it would be easier, but I still have a good balance.

Oh God, they raped Apocrypha hard...

Generic corridor with Seekers and random tentacles slapping you lethally, there are no books to read, everything is a "Ruined Book", at the end of the dungeon you open the big grimoire which gives you three green buttons for a blessing to choose from.

Regarding the books, I don't see how else they could do it...the lore just says they contain amazing shit that shows we don't even know what we don't know. So either they write that amazing shit (NOPE), fill the shelves with all the books in the game (NOPE) or they prevent you from reading the books somehow (and being incredibly old tomes, you can describe them as ruined tomes you can't read in passing - according to that story about the plane-hopping mage, even a dedicated scholar had to spend a while there). Also I think it's originally described as a bunch of generic corridors, being a library and all. The grimoire is the Oghma Infinum, right? It's always been like that, it just gives you a bunch of skillpoints and that's that. Apocrypha is the sort of place that can only look good in text form, like Azura's realm (which is so incredibly beautiful it makes you blind if you stand around too long - try replicating that in game)

Bahamut

Arcane
Oh consoletards are butturt about dragon riding,
its exacly what i thought it would be, a shitty script fest

Gord

Arcane
Hmm. I'm a level 20-21 and a bandit that catches me unaware can still kill me easily, often in one or two hits. Then again, I invested almost everything in magicka and wear no armor (I always maintain at least 50 AC because of Mage Armor, though). Yesterday I made the mistake of forgetting to send a summon to scout and a dual wielder that was tucked in a corner sent me flying out of the room. I guess that if you make a more defensive character it would be easier, but I still have a good balance.

If ERSO uses the vanilla armor system (or something similar like in SkyRe), 50 armor is nothing - it will give you roughly 5% damage reduction.
I guess it helps that my current char specializes in heavy armor (currently around 700 total armor). Put some magic resist on top and you are pretty hardy.
Btw., I never understood why they replaced the convenient and easy to understand damage rating of Oblivion with the obscure system in Skyrim. If Oblivion had one thing that was better than in Skyrim, it's probably the armor rating.

Erzherzog

Magister
The part where they fuck up Apocrypha is the worst to me.

The best part of The Elder Scrolls is the interactions of the Gods and their realms, in Daggerfall/Morrowind they create such a foreboding, mystical feel. In the game they are incredibly bland environments. The Deadlands in Oblivion. The Soul Cairn. Apocrypha. Bland, bland bland. Can't wait for ESO and another bland realm with Coldharbor. (Shivering Isles is a different story.)

Why? They still manage to be interesting every now and then, but the execution always feels off, as if video games are not the best medium for showcasing their concepts.

The worst part is the engine they use right now. Totally incapable of the whimsical feel of the background info. The one province it is suited for could only be Skyrim or Hammerfell. Hard to create something vibrant when you can only have 10 NPCs on screen before the game crashes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom