Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

slowpoke checking in: New Vegas

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
In my defense, the NCR and Legion bases seem about the same size. The hit teams had the same number of people in them. The few times we see them fight, the sides seem about the same.
Just seeing you type that the leigion in this fight was supposed to outnumber the NCR 2-1, suddenly the whole game makes a lot more sense.
That and most of the NCR troops stationed at New Vegas are apparently rookies. The real troops are back in California guarding Rich Brahmin farmers from bandits.
Really, it's inferred that the politicians on the homefront don't take the occupation of New Vegas as seriously as they should.

Tel Prydain

Augur
That and most of the NCR troops stationed at New Vegas are apparently rookies. The real troops are back in California guarding Rich Brahmin farmers from bandits.
True - but there comes a stage when the NCR steps up and the real troops start showing up.

Gozma

Arcane
I thought I remembered the Hobbit trolls not just speaking cockney, but being theatrically unserious in other ways, but I don't have a copy at hand and I dunno how to pierce the hundreds of pages of Google about the fucking movie to find a transcript somewhere so OK.

In FO Ghouls are treated as "too silly to be accounted for in the gameworld" most of the time so "Hey Ghouls would know about that!" plotholes happen. And immortal people with pre-war/vault educations and/or at least a century or two of accumulated knowledge and power would not be an irrationally hated underclass, they would be a rationally hated overclass. Looking gross would be a point of class solidarity. But American devs that dream in the idiom of a Ken Burns documentary can't really allow themselves to fathom the idea of a disempowered majority

MisterStone

Arcane
I thought I remembered the Hobbit trolls not just speaking cockney, but being theatrically unserious in other ways, but I don't have a copy at hand and I dunno how to pierce the hundreds of pages of Google about the fucking movie to find a transcript somewhere so OK.

In FO Ghouls are treated as "too silly to be accounted for in the gameworld" most of the time so "Hey Ghouls would know about that!" plotholes happen. And immortal people with pre-war/vault educations and/or at least a century or two of accumulated knowledge and power would not be an irrationally hated underclass, they would be a rationally hated overclass. Looking gross would be a point of class solidarity. But American devs that dream in the idiom of a Ken Burns documentary can't really allow themselves to fathom the idea of a disempowered majority

Yeah, the ghouls being immortals is a terrible oversight on the part of the people who made up this setting. I mean, Mr. House is pretty fucking all-powerful, so you'd think a few scientist ghouls with pre-war knowledge would be able to position themselves in about the same way. Seriously, do they even think in terms of their game setting other than X = comic relief, Y = generic post-nuclear orc surrogate, etc.?

Endemic

Arcane
Yeah, the ghouls being immortals is a terrible oversight on the part of the people who made up this setting. I mean, Mr. House is pretty fucking all-powerful, so you'd think a few scientist ghouls with pre-war knowledge would be able to position themselves in about the same way. Seriously, do they even think in terms of their game setting other than X = comic relief, Y = generic post-nuclear orc surrogate, etc.?

Ask Tim Cain and Brian Fargo. I don't think Fallout was meant to be the Dune\Asimov-esque serious sci-fi that some fans take it for. There was always some exaggerated and silly stuff in it. Not just the ghouls. Junktown was typical western, complete with the bartender blowing someone's arm off when you walk in and talk to the gang member. The Master in his blob-like form getting all the way from Fort Ord (er I mean Mariposa) to LA's vault, the Mutants somehow being completely loyal to him despite free will... the Cathedral cult isn't exactly subtle either.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Things are not binary. A setting is not either "serious" or "ridiculous". Fallout followed an internal logic that mostly worked. Fallout 2 followed the same logic for about 75%, and decided to throw some things in because they're "cool". Fallout 3 rips all the logic out, and all the "cool" and goes straight for emotional engagement and retardation.

deuxhero

Arcane
So my new character finished OWB (which I was about halfway through when I decided to try a new character) and is going to start LR soon (haven't done yet). Anything I should do before starting other than boost my strip fame and potentially Lupa at Nipton with Boon? Anything I should do after I nuke both sides but before I get my pardon other than farm dog tags?

Grim Monk

Arcane
I'm getting :( really worn out with New Vegas.

I brought NV in the beginning of last summer, and have been trying to play it semi-regularly since then.

According to Steam I've logged in 170 Hours, probably closer to 200+ since part of the time steam was “offline”.

I had two abortive attempts, and then settled into my current playthrough which is 125 hours long according two my latest save.

I'm playing the game “Hardcore Mode”.
Difficultly has been set to Hard since about the time I reached Nipton in game, at first I didn't notice that difficulty was separate from Hardcore Mode.

I've hid the level cap about a month ago, my S.PE.C.I.A.L. is as follows:
S 7
P 8
E 5
C 7
I 9
A 5
L 6
I've maxed out all Skills except for “Unarmed” and “Melee Weapons”.

Combat has ceased to be a challenge.
Holorifle + Microfusion cell, max charge for the big stuff.
CZ57 Avenger for swarming enemies such as Nightstalkers.

I literally discovered that I could safely go hunting Deathclaws, 90% of the time they die in two Holorifle hits...

I've just finished the last DLC.

And I think there is o_O still 30/40% of the main game to go...

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
That is why i turned XP down to 25% of normal in my current game. With the level cap set at 30 with Logan's loophole I need to reduce the XP further for my next character so that I do not hit 30 before doing all of the quests and DLC.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I couldn't finish New Vegas in one playthrough. Hell, I've done three and I still don't think I've found everything. It's a completionist's nightmare.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm getting :( really worn out with New Vegas.

I brought NV in the beginning of last summer, and have been trying to play it semi-regularly since then.

According to Steam I've logged in 170 Hours, probably closer to 200+ since part of the time steam was “offline”.

I had two abortive attempts, and then settled into my current playthrough which is 125 hours long according two my latest save.

I'm playing the game “Hardcore Mode”.
Difficultly has been set to Hard since about the time I reached Nipton in game, at first I didn't notice that difficulty was separate from Hardcore Mode.

I've hid the level cap about a month ago, my S.PE.C.I.A.L. is as follows:
S 7
P 8
E 5
C 7
I 9
A 5
L 6
I've maxed out all Skills except for “Unarmed” and “Melee Weapons”.

Combat has ceased to be a challenge.
Holorifle + Microfusion cell, max charge for the big stuff.
CZ57 Avenger for swarming enemies such as Nightstalkers.

I literally discovered that I could safely go hunting Deathclaws, 90% of the time they die in two Holorifle hits...

I've just finished the last DLC.

And I think there is o_O still 30/40% of the main game to go...

I had the same problem with the difference that the main game already gave me enough XP to hit the level cap and some damn good equipment. Couldn't bring myself to slog through the DLC with a maxed out char. :p Seen so much of the main game at this point that I'm just going to rush to the DLC next time.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I beat the game unmodded, then immediately restarted with JE Sawyer's patch and all DLCs. Haven't been bored since.

MisterStone

Arcane
Fuck, I just read about the JE Sawyer patch. Goddamn, that would make the game 500% better. Yeah, RPGs on console are shit.

deuxhero

Arcane
Does anyone know of any mods to replace the god awful default animations beyond Weapon Animation Replacer (which is great compared to the original, but it is just for guns/energy weapons held/aimed/fired mods)

Any good quest/"landmass" mods? I did NV Bounties 1 (going to do part II as soon as I drop this gold off at the Lucky 38) and Inheritance and while OK (with surprisingly good voice acting. Not exceptional, but I've seen MANY AAA games with much worse. It leads to a noticible shortage of women with speaking roles) with decent enough writing (not great and with notibile flaws, but better than a lot of "professionals".) though the quest and area design are lacking.

Borelli

Arcane
Bros i am going to start New Vegas and since this is Obsidian i have to ask are there any unofficial patches/bug fixes that i have to have? I'm not looking for actual mods i want first time to be vanilla but restored content type stuff is ok.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros i am going to start New Vegas and since this is Obsidian i have to ask are there any unofficial patches/bug fixes that i have to have? I'm not looking for actual mods i want first time to be vanilla but restored content type stuff is ok.

Vanilla FO:NV is perfectly playable, though there are some nasty bugs.
I believe the unofficial patch travels by the name "Mission Mojave" ( http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45104 )

Borelli

Arcane
I'm reading about this mod made by a certain J.E. Sawyer, from the description it mainly raises the difficulty, will it work with Mission Mojave?

Grim Monk

Arcane
Okay I finished the game, went for the "Independent" ending.

Its a good/great game, but I got a rather heavy feeling of being burned out with it toward the end.

Don't recall ever :( feeling this way about Fallouts 1 and 2...

Don't think I'll be replaying it for a while.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Okay I finished the game, went for the "Independent" ending.

Its a good/great game, but I got a rather heavy feeling of being burned out with it toward the end.

Don't recall ever :( feeling this way about Fallouts 1 and 2...

Don't think I'll be replaying it for a while.

Yeah. It was way too long if you tried to be a completionist and the quality of content was uneven. The Legion was done quite poorly (they ran out of time/shekels?). If Obsidian went for quality > quantity, this could have been the perfect FO3 we were waiting for.

Still, for all its flaws, FONV was a worthy FO successor even if it prioritized different things than the originals. On the exploration scale alone - which I value very highly - it deserves a 10/10.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One has to wonder why they didn't use their DLCs to flesh out the Legion since Sawyer seemed pissed they got cut down for time in the main game. I would have replaced Honest Hearts or Lonesome Road with a Legion city DLC in a heartbeat.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. It was way too long if you tried to be a completionist and the quality of content was uneven. The Legion was done quite poorly (they ran out of time/shekels?). If Obsidian went for quality > quantity, this could have been the perfect FO3 we were waiting for.
I don't know about that. The scope and size of the game are some of the most impressive things about it, and they allow you to have wildly different playthroughs based on your choices. It may be a completionist's nightmare (I'd disagree, though, as I enjoyed my latest completionist playthrough immensely), but I'd say it's great for everyone else. New Vegas is one of the few games where you can completely piss off entire factions, ignore all the quests and quest chains you don't care about and still feel like you're getting a "full" playthrough.

The Legion definitely should've been fleshed out more, but I think the content they did put in the game is overall pretty damn good. There are plenty of very simple quests that kind of feel like filler, but even those quests usually have a couple of different solutions, like at least a Speech check somewhere, and they help flesh out the game world and make the game's pacing feel tighter. I think most of the weak content of the game is actually "high quality" stuff that just suffers from poor writing or general silliness. For example, Come Fly With Me is technically almost a perfect side quest, and they clearly put a lot of time and effort into it. It's just that it's a bit too silly on a bit too many levels so it stands out in a negative light.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm playing New Vegas for the first time these days. All DLCs, jsawyer, Project Nevada and Cirosan's Classic Overhaul mods. I'm having a hell of a good time, even postponed my second FO1 playthrough. Is it appropriate to feel ashamed too? :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom