Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

What is your level genma

^_______^

A lowly, lowly 17.

May not be viable in the Summoner's Rift (never actually played him there), but it's fun in Dominion. Last game was 16/5/9, and second place in Capture score.

Edit: Having researched it a little bit...huh. The slowest attack speed of the game? Yeah I can see how that'd be a problem. Headbutt knocking people away hasn't been that much of a issue for me though, I trained up on Poppy so I instinctively knock them into walls or turrets and then stun'em with my Q. Dominion mitigates the cost issues associated with getting the items he needs to turn into a bruiser as well.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
ELO Hell stops existing the moment you leave it

No. Like I said, give me an account with Karthus, Graves, Warwick, Taric, Shyvana and a decent runepage for each, and I can get your account to 1400 elo no problem. Probably even 1450. Just because that's the limit my skill allows me to carry to 100% doesn't mean there's "ELO hell", it means that's the extent of my skill.

Derp.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

No. Like I said, give me an account with Karthus, Graves, Warwick, Taric, Shyvana and a decent runepage for each, and I can get your account to 1400 elo no problem. Probably even 1450. Just because that's the limit my skill allows me to carry to 100% doesn't mean there's "ELO hell", it means that's the extent of my skill.

Derp.

lol, this logic fails on so many levels. It fails the "too high skill level comparative to "right" ELO"-test and it's anecdotal as fuck.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Derp.

lol, this logic fails on so many levels. It fails the "too high skill level comparative to "right" ELO"-test and it's anecdotal as fuck.

lol, this logic fails on so many levels. It assumes there is indeed a "too high skill level comparative to "right" ELO"-test and it isn't simply human nature that believes they belong higher than they deserve.

The closest thing to evidence you've ever presented is your ability to play at a higher Premade ELO which is completely irrelevant since solo queue and premade ELOs are not comparable for a myriad of reasons. The first being that, mathematically the separate elos do not match up, you can lose 2 games and your team can still be above 1200 elo (Riot themselves have confirmed they do not match up, intentionally so). The second being that in solo queue the only constant factor in each game is YOU. In ranked 5s, the constant factor is all of your teammates, over and over. After 100 solo queue games, unless you are very high elo, chances are you did not encounter the same people over and over. In ranked 5s, you did, indeed play with (carry/get carried by) the same people game after game.

There is no evidence, at all, of a "too high skill level comparative to "right" ELO" - test, because there is nothing to compare to your solo queue elo, other than, your solo queue elo, or playing on a friend's account, or using a smurf (which has its own myriad of problems to use as a measuring stick)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
lol, this logic fails on so many levels. It assumes there is indeed a "too high skill level comparative to "right" ELO"-test and it isn't simply human nature that believes they belong higher than they deserve.
I believe my deserved ELO is 1450-1500. So fuck you (see below).

The closest thing to evidence you've ever presented is your ability to play at a higher Premade ELO

My current solo queue ELO is 1560 (Grunkerman on EUNE), and I've had solo queue ratings of everything from 900 to 1650 within the last year and a half. I have stated this many times. Also, your point is hilarious considering it's coming from someone whose sole piece of "evidence" is an anecdote of how HE can get to 1400 with 100% assurance.

stuff that compares premade to solo queue

I find it hilarious that you're comparing the two considering I have not done so once in the entire thread for purposes of saying something about solo queue. I've said premade was better - the way the game is meant to be played, and I have said my former ELO of 900 was probably undeserved as I was able to play on a friend's account without issues. Full stop.

Anyway, let's get one fact straight: Neither of us has any basis for claiming we're presenting "evidence." We're purely arguing logics here.

That out of the way, my piece of logic is that you have to be comparatively better to carry yourself out of ELO hell. This makes perfect logical sense. It does so for the following, pretty clear reason: Compare a team game of 5v5 in League of Legends Solo Queue to a game of Starcraft II. It is undeniable that the latter is purely based on your perfomance and that of your opponent. It is also undeniable that this is not the case in the team game. As both games have little to no random factors besides player input, we can safely say that the LoL game is more random than the Starcraft II game by quite a big factor. In this case, as with the roll of a die, some people will obviously be lucky while some people won't.

Do I believe that you are right that most ELO-hell talk stems from the fact that people are worse than they think they are? YES - I even think that's the case with plenty people in this thread. But this fact doesn't take anything away from the points for the existence of ELO hell. Logic dictates that it exists. Now, to be sure, an extensive collection of empiric data is necessary, but since neither of us can present anything of the sort we'll have to rely on our this little hypothetical debate... In it, I have presented a logic argument, and you have presented a piece of anecdotal evidence.

On that note, if you think anecdotal evidence is valid, how about explaining to me how I - someone who has gotten slightly better over the last year but with no major skill fluctuations - has moved up and down solo queue like the right hand of masturbating schoolboy on his erect penis?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
On that note, if you think anecdotal evidence is valid, how about explaining to me how I - someone who has gotten slightly better over the last year but with no major skill fluctuations - has moved up and down solo queue like the right hand of masturbating schoolboy on his erect penis?

Either you're not playing enough games, or you're not playing consistently.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
All I'm sayin' is - when I tryhard - these are the kinds of players I play with:

rpAIR.jpg

Also, Grunker, don't bother arguing with Phage. The only way you'll ever reach a semblance of agreement with him is by first adopting his viewpoint. And I'm not sure there's room for two heads that far up his arse.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly Ulm, the fact that you played with Ocelote on Dominion proves absolute fuck-all...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Played with Shushei on SR too. But forgot to take a SS :p

If nothing else, it says something about the GRUNKER-range I can play at without feeding horribly.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yeah, just when Dominion was released and there was negligible GRUNKER :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I carried Guardsman Bob on his livestream back in december, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt :(

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Also, Grunker, don't bother arguing with Phage. The only way you'll ever reach a semblance of agreement with him is by first adopting his viewpoint. And I'm not sure there's room for two heads that far up his arse.

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

(I feel pretty accomplished since Ulm is the most arrogant regular in this thread. Awwww yeah)

Anyways, in relevant news, M5 too strong.

What is your level genma

^_______^

A lowly, lowly 17.

May not be viable in the Summoner's Rift (never actually played him there), but it's fun in Dominion. Last game was 16/5/9, and second place in Capture score.

Edit: Having researched it a little bit...huh. The slowest attack speed of the game? Yeah I can see how that'd be a problem. Headbutt knocking people away hasn't been that much of a issue for me though, I trained up on Poppy so I instinctively knock them into walls or turrets and then stun'em with my Q. Dominion mitigates the cost issues associated with getting the items he needs to turn into a bruiser as well.
Problem with AD alistar is that not a single on of his skills scale with AD or AS. Which means that if you want to melt faces while being able to take a beating you should get one of the many tanky dps's out there

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What is your level genma

^_______^

A lowly, lowly 17.

There are basically 2 ways to build alistar. You either stack AP on him and aim to obliterate people with your pummel/headbutt combo (not quite so viable now that his ratios got nerfed) or you build him tanky and use him for disruption and feeding the rest of your team kills. One thing to remember in 9/10 games once you hit lv30 is that people will expect you to play "support" if you pick alistair since people are really scared of using non-meta roles. This means you'll likely be starved for gold most of the game and forced to build around cheap items and gold/5 items.

If you can team up with an AD carry mate who's willing (and able) to survive 2v1 bottom lane, you can have a lot of fun with roaming alistar. Flash+pumme+headbutt towards your tower is almost a guaranteed kill if your mid/top lane is awake when you ping your initiation. doubly so if your jungler chips in. You can also team up with your jungler and make some wicked invasions. I had this brilliant game yesterday where me (shyvana) and a mate (alistar) spammed wards in the enemy jungle and utterly brutalized their jungler every time he went to pick up a buff. On top of that, we pulled off a bunch of ridiculously strong ganks together and pretty much won the game by the 15-minute mark when everyone on the enemy team was clinging to their turrets, too scared to last hit lest roaming cow-dragons appeared.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I put some herp in your derp so you can lol when you wut?

Looks like the Russkies are whooping the collective asses of the Kapitalist Peeg-dogz

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So kwans vs kwans and euro vs euro quarters, kwan vs euro semis leading to kwan vs euro finals. Guess the teams are pretty even across servers this season.

DakaSha

Arcane
is it worth getting either monkey king or yorick? They are on sale but neither interests me to much (havent played either)

Mystary!

Arcane
They are both extremly strong solo top. Yorick has been considered king of solo top along time, his ult is gamechanging but requires your AD carry to be fed aswell. Wukong is being played at the IEM atm so that's some recognition I suppose. Can juke around with his clone and his ult is an AOE knock up that can fuck up the whole enemy team, which is always welcome. He brings some more utility than Yorick, and is more fun. But with Yorick you will steamroll more with, unless the enemy team picks Cho'Gath.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
well, just tried jungle ali in premade 5v5. 8/9/28. Pretty good. Boots+pots->sheen->boots of mobility->CDR gem->phage->shurelias->triforce->aegis->randuins

DakaSha

Arcane
Bought both mk and yorick. first game was meh with yorick. Have to get used to him.
first game with mk i went 18/3. Prob beginners luck but he is shitloads more fun then i had thought

And people really do fall for that stop juke :smug:
At least the people i played against

Just 15 minutes till finals

Prediction: M5 r00flestomps dignitas 2-0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom