Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Reject_666_6 said:
Hey, Ulm, I've got some questions about mid-late game Riven. The early game is fun, where you do the jungle routes and the low-level ganks. I get a few kills and all is well.

But when the laning phase ends, I seem to get focused and die in every engagement. Should I try to buy more defensive items to initiate better or something, or should I not be initiating at all in the first place, and hang back until the fight starts?

Riven initiates ganks, not teamfights. Once the laning phase is over, you should wait for someone else to engage. If your team has no real tank besides you, get warmogs directly after wriggles (should be done around 20 minutes in then), followed by atmas, then force of nature. That should make you tanky enough to initiate.

Lupus

Liturgist
Ulminati said:
Reject_666_6 said:
Hey, Ulm, I've got some questions about mid-late game Riven. The early game is fun, where you do the jungle routes and the low-level ganks. I get a few kills and all is well.

But when the laning phase ends, I seem to get focused and die in every engagement. Should I try to buy more defensive items to initiate better or something, or should I not be initiating at all in the first place, and hang back until the fight starts?

Riven initiates ganks, not teamfights. Once the laning phase is over, you should wait for someone else to engage. If your team has no real tank besides you, get warmogs directly after wriggles (should be done around 20 minutes in then), followed by atmas, then force of nature. That should make you tanky enough to initiate.
There's funny item build for Riven which doesn't need Warmog and makes you tanky anyway. I use it when I play lane Riven but it should work with jungle Riven too. Basically, after you build Wriggle's Lantern go for Hexdrinker. It's fantastic cheap item with great stats for its cost and has spellshield on relatively short CD (1 minute I think). Then you can buy chain vest, BF sword, then finish Atma's Impaler. Most people will tell you that Atma's is not so great without shitloads of health, but at approximately 1,6k HP it's cost effective. Besides it has all stats Riven need - damage, armor and crit. After that you can build your BF sword in whatever you want, personally I like Bloodthirster because it's cheap and with Riven it will become effective in very short time. Brutalizer is also great for her early, but I don't really like Youmuu's Ghostblade on her, so I generally upgrade it very late.
Still, even when you are tanky you shouldn't start teamfights with Riven and rather wait for your tank/initiator, then go for opponent's team carrys.

JZhDu.png

discuss!!1!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Curious that Ashe only got played once, considering she was th emost popular carry at Dreamhack and hasn't seen any nerfs since then.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, the meta at IEM seemed to be really poke-ish. My guess is that's why. See Kog'Maw getting picked all the time, and team-fighting bawses like Annie not being picked once.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Poke meta is boring mang :/ It's all stand at opposite ends of a lane flinging skillshots, waiting for someone to get bored.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ulminati said:
Poke meta is boring mang :/ It's all stand at opposite ends of a lane flinging skillshots, waiting for someone to get bored.

Indeed. Dreamhack is still in my heart as one of the best tournaments I've seen because it was all team-fights, all the time.

Ah well, hopefully it will change. If not, poke will be nerfed (see AoE meta).

Sordid Jester

Educated
An hour long game, loads of trash-talking, my team pulling a come-back and me carrying my team in every single fight I was in, despite tanking as Malphite (which was picked randomly for me, fucking queue dodgers at the last second as I go to get a drink). Also, my team actually listened to coordination and played as a team.

A fight brings it down to 2v3, in a fight the 2 (us) had won before and every single time we engaged it, and we at least could have defended easily.

My router disconnects for a single second. I'm out of the game in that fight. Team-mate dies. I don't even get killed despite having run into the middle of the fight just before the DC. Not even a minute out of the game (thanks LoL client for bugging hard), game over.

Lost.

5 / 4 / 28 and a good team down the fucking drain to complete and utter fucking bullshit PEOPLE KNOW THE DEFINITION OF RAGE I AM IT AAAAAAAAAAAAH

Mystary!

Arcane
You know what I hate, seeing someone doing something you know will make us lose, like when someone on your team goes face-checking a bush you just saw an enemy go in to and you just wanna yell Noooooooooooo!! And bam, they single handedly lost the game for us.

I've especially seen plenty of bad Caits recently. They use the caliber net to shoot someone, pushing them self out of range of attacking making them miss a kill. Or using their ult when theyre in the face on someone, getting whacked at for the entire channel, and of course getting killed. Had they just kept auto attacking they would have won.
I'm gonna start banning her just to keep people from playing her so badly.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IMO, Morgana play at iem was a joy to watch. That xPeke is best AP player ive ever seen. Like THE best. Ocelote is also awesome to watch in tourny games.

Cait is a boreass to watch. Farmfarmfarm.gtfo

And it seems Talon got something that wins games.5-0 at IEM. Silence+massive damage+stealth beats even Akalis burst. nr1 assassin imo right now

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Markman said:
That xPeke is best AP player ive ever seen. Like THE best.

xPeke is good, but he took way too many chances with his Kassadin - he almost cost them the game a few times.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
These "limited edition" quints seem p good. Will probably wind up buying both the armor pen and AP ones.

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
I don't like them -- they're only tier 2.5, so while they're almost as good as tier 3, I wouldn't want them for the same reasons I wouldn't buy t1 or t2. Runes are supposed to be all about min-maxing your early game, and losing out on even a little bit seems pretty shit. I mean, the difference between tier 3 and tier 2.5 health quints is literally 6 hp, but...I've definitely escaped with ridiculously low hp before.

They're waaaay cheaper than t3 quints, but I literally only bought two champs on my way to 30 because I wanted to get every rune I'd ever need, so I pretty much don't need to worry about them anymore, besides a few exceptions (still haven't picked up health quints, but I don't like them very much).

I have 3k IP's assembled again. What to buy, what to buy? Any cool heroes for 3k out there? Preferably mages.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
He's not a bad champion. Personally I don't find him paticularly fun to play but ymmv. Give him a spin when he's free if you're in doubt.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grag is a good AP or Tank. Nice cc with aoe knockback and aoe slow, very strong mid or solo top. Has a good harass skill from level 1 and unreal health and mana regen. Best lane sustain in the game. He scales well till level 11 without items, after that you gotta get a deathcap.
I usually go with
boots+3hp
catalyst
finish boots
deathcap
RoA or Rylais or Banshees
Void staff
whatever needed

R-E-Q combo with Ignite will kill anyone early-mid game.

Bit easier then Blitz to play and its just a good feeling when you land a excellent ulti with him.

I love Grag. Highly recommended.

Mystary!

Arcane
Ive found him very good in earlier stages of the game when there is alot of harass, but his cooldowns are very long and if a big team fights break out you will be feeling very worthless until your spells come back up. But if you can keep up the poking game, takes more poking able team mates, he is very powerful.

Bought Gragas, played him vs a trundle and a teemo top and held my lane well. He was pretty cool no doubt... Of course we played against fairly bad players so it's hard for me to make a judgement yet but I could get used to playing him for sure.

So far my BO is dorans ring --> Dorans ring --> boots ---> (sometimes dorans ring) and then deathcap, then I make CDR item. Is this a good build?

Also which matchups favour gragas? Am I right in thinking he is good against squishies?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I miss playing Morg in ranked. :/ I wish they'd nerf her again so all the baddies would stop banning/firstpicking her.

Dt0DR.png

Also, my last game went pretty much like this:
DhtC8.jpg

Mystary!

Arcane
What's with the IP boost?

I hope they don't touch Yorick anymore. He's just amazing now. As usual I started playing him after having faced him solo top and getting my ass handed to me. Noone can out harass him, and if they could he can just last hit with his ghouls and harass back at the same time, if someone ganks you pop ult and its a 2v2 ^^ Loving it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
fyezall said:
What's with the IP boost?

golden joystick.

read news update in client.

been asked that 20 times today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom