Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

anus_pounder

Arcane
What are the basics of the basics ? I finally got around to downloading LoL and I'm not sure where and how to start. I already finished both tutorials, but thats as far as I got.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
anus_pounder said:
What are the basics of the basics ? I finally got around to downloading LoL and I'm not sure where and how to start. I already finished both tutorials, but thats as far as I got.
The basics of the basics is adding other Codexers to your friends list. ;) What server are you playing on?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
anus_pounder said:

There's a TON of stuff that makes up the basics of the basics. :)

I got accounts on EU West and North America. If you're on any of those servers, I can take you through a couple of Co-op vs AI games and give pointers.

I guess the short version is:

1) Don't die.
2) Whenever you win a fight and outnumber the enemy, push an objective (tower, dragon, baron)
3) Last-hit creeps

anus_pounder

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
anus_pounder said:
The basics of the basics is adding other Codexers to your friends list. ;) What server are you playing on?

I'm...not sure, actually. I'm guessing EU since I'm in the UK. As for adding people on the friends list, do you need the log in name or the summoner name ?

summoner - noraepplz1122

Thanks for the offer Ulminati, I could use some pointers thats for sure.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'm...not sure, actually. I'm guessing EU since I'm in the UK. As for adding people on the friends list, do you need the log in name or the summoner name ?

Summoner. Also, 'noraepplz1122 does not exist'

Also...

Never... again... solo...

Champ pick starts, dude 1 and 3 instalock twitch and graves. Dude 4 quickly instalocks Lux (instalux? YEAAAAAAAAAAA) after a second. Fifth guy takes jungling shaco. The other dudes of course start yelling "TANK?>???????<>?' so whatever, I take Shen.

Game starts. Lux DCs. Shaco is being retarded and doesn't watch out for ganks, dies from a jungle invasion at blue. Lux reconnects and joins me of all people in the lane. Then decides it's a good idea to go help Twitch who is alone against Teemo. 'ENEMY DOUBLE KILL'. Lux and Twitch die to a single Teemo.

Twitch apparently gets butthurt and stays afk at the fountain till the end of the match. Shaco keeps dying in all ways imaginable. Lux just keeps running around like a dumbfuck. Me and Graves seem to be the only people who know wtf to do.

Surrender @ 20.

Final stats,

Me, Shen, 2/2/3
Graves, 3/2/0
Lux, 1/7/5
Twitch (level 3), 0/1/0
Shaco 0/11/2

WHERE ARE SUCH PEOPLE COMING FROM

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Grunker said:
Darth Roxor you're on EUNE. anuspounder is from UK, so he's on EUW.

Well, I tried looking him up in the 'find summoner profile', too, and that works no matter your placement iirc ('cause I could stalk Ulminati for instance).

Why not go the other way round, lemme add you ?

Darth Roxor, in case you are on EUNE :M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Darth Roxor said:
WHERE ARE SUCH PEOPLE COMING FROM
They appear from the warp when your back is turned.

I feel like I've given up on lol. It was fun while it lasted, but now I feel like every game I play is just raging at idiots and losing.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Sent a friend request to DarthRoXoR, Ulminati (Lv.30, right ?) and Jim Cojones (Wolf like animal is your profile summoner pic, I think?)

I may actually play a game with a codexer. This is the greatest moment in my past, present and future existence.

EDIT : Just won my first game ! Admittedly it was a Co-op game against the A.I. I was playing Cho'Gath. 3/7/1 I got 3 kills out of our total 11. Whats that you ask ? How many kills did the AI get ? 56 :troll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
K, I added you on the european server mr anus. The confusion seems to stem from some people trying to add you from the polish/russian communist ghetto, which is a seperate server cluster ;)

anus_pounder

Arcane
Accepted. Second match was much better 8/3/13 as Jarvan. Some other guy on the team was Amumu, by the gods he was better than the rest of us, 40/0/4

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
anus_pounder said:
Accepted. Second match was much better 8/3/13 as Jarvan. Some other guy on the team was Amumu, by the gods he was better than the rest of us, 40/0/4

Believe it or not, but 25-75% of the players at your level are actually level 30 and are on a "smurf" account to pwn newbies for the heck of it ;)

Welcome the League of Legends. Enjoy your stay.

After a couple days of playing, I have to ask; is it normal for Ashe players to be such douches?

The whole latter half of a match I'm in, the Ashe on our team keeps saying 'U guys fuken suck'.

My Tristana had more kills, less deaths and way more assists than him. And I actually kept in my lane. How the hell does that mean I suck? And we won. Does that not afford some leeway?

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Wow, having played my first few games I can safely say I am a fuckton better with Ryze than I was with Poppy.

What a change of perspective a couple days can make. Poppy was the first purchase I made with my IP. At the time I played with the thought of 'a charge skill, well obviously I should smack right into that mob of minions and heroes'. Which explains why I kept getting 2/11/1 ratios in games.

So I switched to Ryze in the short time he was still free, and liked the range/immobilize game better. When he rotated out I bought him. From then on almost all of my games involved him, Corki (who was rotated in) and Tristana (who I had gotten free thanks to that Facebook promotion). Tristana was easily my strongest. On the side I experimented with using Master Yi to teach myself a better movement game, how to get in and get out without being ganked. I think those games were what helped me the most because I couldn't just sit back and harass from a distance. My ranged fighters got more dynamic because of that lesson.

So just an hour ago I took Poppy out for another try, and...wow.

(using this build, by the way)

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legen ... arry-54057

When you've unlocked all her skills, she does become a little ganking machine. Diplomatic Immunity followed by Heroic Charging them right into something. DI means their teammates can't do shit for a bit, and Paragon of Demacia (along with her innate Valiant Fighter) keeps damage from the target's counter-attack down even after the stun wears off. And Devastating Blow is one of the most spammable skills this side of Missile Barrage.

The movement bonus from PoD (and its quick cooldown) are just icing on the cake. Poppy is awesome. Last game was 20/2/3. Think I'll practice with her a bit more, then start using her regularly. Might actually be able to keep up with Tristana.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Poppy is generally regarded as a very strong champion actually, but she has an incredible fragile early-game and her farming is perhaps the worst in the entire game. That's why you don't see her used often. She has no home in lane and farms like shit.

Grunker said:
Poppy is generally regarded as a very strong champion actually, but she has an incredible fragile early-game and her farming is perhaps the worst in the entire game. That's why you don't see her used often. She has no home in lane and farms like shit.

Yeah, but I haven't even hit level 12. This early into it I'm noticing teams have a hard enough time merely understanding their roles, no one farms except for the guy who is supposed to help you guard bot but instead keeps wandering off to get himself killed, and they won't respond when I ask which of my couple good champions they think would complement the team make-up best.

I can probably get away with using Poppy for a good while yet.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, 100%. I didn't mean don't use her at all. In fact almost the opposite. She's good to train with in the sense that if you get her right you should be able to play most melee champs.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Poppy is indeed p. great, problem is early game. Late game her burst can be amazing and really catch some champions of guard, especially with the damage reduction from her passive. Using Flash to set up a charge into your own tower is so lulzy in the early game.

Who's the best bruiser/off-tank for solo top? I've tried Nasus a bit and he's great if he's allowed to farm his Q enough, always nice to dish out an extra 400+ damage towards the end game, but he has no good initiate skill.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Udyr is incredible. Good sustain, terrifying mid-game if properly farmed. Irelia is the standard package of awesome; farmed, she is invulnerable and with a trinity force her brusing is a killing. Singed is the best for tanky-purposes. He can control a team-fight well if he keeps his eye on his objectives (harass enemy carries - but above all protect friendly ones). Gangplank is a little more squishy and less sustainable, but makes up for it with fantastic utility and he's a beast in killing stuff in his lane.

Plenty of awesome bruisers incidentally. What are you looking for in a bruiser?

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Advice for new LoL players: save up tons of ip for when you hit level 20 to 30 so you can buy the runes you need. Don't buy ANY t1 or t2 runes, they're a waste of ip and you'll have to swap them out later anyways. When you're 30, runes make a HUUUUGE difference. You'll want at least two full pages (ad chars and ap chars) but having more is better. I have ten pages, and that's still barely enough.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
What I look for in a bruiser is good/decent survivability and not too susceptible to kiting I suppose. I've tried Singed and he's pretty fun, good farming if that's what's needed and very hard to kill towards the end. Udyr I haven't tried yet and Gankplank is probably too squishy for me to play him as anything resembling a bruiser.

Level 20 now, so finally able to start using the good runes, but damn are they expensive.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, if it's immunity to kiting you want it doesn't get any better than Singed. But the ones I listed all have decent resistance to it; Udyr because of his speed buff and Irelia because of her gap-closing abilities. You can't go wrong with those three.

Cho'Gath is also really strong obviously. Renekton for a more irregular choice. He's still very functional though, will be able to take most of the others in a stone-cold 1 on 1 fight on level 6.

Garen is the "easy" pick. He's easy to play.

Galio has good harass, though a situational champion.

Rumble or Swain if you need a "magic damage bruiser"-type. Gragas for more damage and less sustainability.

Mystary!

Arcane
Noone can touch Yorick. He has so much harass and sustain, you can heal yourself and damage your enemy and last hit at the same time, with one skill, E. His W can scout bushes and trigger mushrooms and jack in the boxes. All his ghouls can also block skill shots, morgana's dark binding for instance. Having 3 ghouls out at the same time, with enough cdr this means always, gives you 15% (20% with ult) damage and damage reduction, so no matter how you build him you'll be tanky and deal tons of damage.
But I don't really want anyone else playing him, he's such a pain to be up against :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom