Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

5 Warmogs and an Atmas Impaler. Problem? :troll:

Frozen Mallet, Atmas Impaler, Force of Nature, 3 Warmogs. Huge damage with Masoschism and enough Cleaver to the face to sort out anyones dental worries.

Okay, 2 Warmogs and Mercury Treads, but that still doesn't feel the same

Or 1 Warmog and Starks

Mystary!

Arcane
@Shen: I dont think Triforce is worth it at all, possibly as last item if you get extremly fed. Focus on cheap early items instead. Like an Aegis, very cheap and gives you all you need, defense health and damage, plus you get to share it with everyone else for that warm fuzzy feeling. Stark's isnt realy needed when you already have Q, you could get another cheap item like Spirit Visage to help with healing and reduce cooldowns to spam more.
Frozen Mallet instead of Rylais, which only affects one spell, you can just dash then stick to them with melee attacks. And consider an Atma's Impaler, you get damage bonus from most items you'll be using, Aegis/Spirit Visage/Mallet/Randuin, and they all boost your passive aswell.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
How much money can you really farm?

Well, Shen can actually farm top pretty well, contrary to popular belief, so there is a steady income.

Have you tried playing with other item combos? Like Phage+Wits end? Hexdrinker+Brutilizer? Phage-Sheen?
Id focus on a bit hp stack early on and as much autoattack damage as possible and then build everything else.

I haven't tested wit's end on that build yet, but I'm p sure brutalizer wouldn't be worth much on Shen, not quite sure about hexdrinker either. Phage and Sheen are what I usually get right after building first defensive items (in this case, heart of gold + boots + either warden's mail or negatron cloak).

@Shen: I dont think Triforce is worth it at all, possibly as last item if you get extremly fed

As I said, Shen p. much uses everything Triforce has to offer (except mana) for good measure. It is, obviously, not a rush item, though.

Like an Aegis, very cheap and gives you all you need, defense health and damage, plus you get to share it with everyone else for that warm fuzzy feeling.

Bot supports usually get Aegis, though.

Stark's isnt realy needed when you already have Q, you could get another cheap item like Spirit Visage to help with healing and reduce cooldowns to spam more.

Q is good for a sustained heal, but the lifesteal sometimes is a difference between life and death when you are in a 1v1 showdown up top. Still, it's not by any means essential, hence why I want to get rid of stark's fervor. The auras are cool, though.

And spirit visage/cooldown reductions in general are a little counter-intuitive on Shen. That's because he has ridiculous energy problems, so being able to spam more kills you.

Frozen Mallet instead of Rylais, which only affects one spell, you can just dash then stick to them with melee attacks. And consider an Atma's Impaler, you get damage bonus from most items you'll be using, Aegis/Spirit Visage/Mallet/Randuin, and they all boost your passive aswell.

Rylai doesn't boost only one spell. Well, the slow does, but the combined AP from triforce + abyssal + rylai's (+ap quints) gives you something like 200 AP. That's a free +300 shielding on the ultimate and +150 damage on Q/shielding on W (which is almost doubling both). Frozen Mallet's +20 AD doesn't mean much, and neither does the difference of 200 hp compared to Rylai's.

Atma's is another thing I considered, but dunno where to stick it. Could sacrifice AS and get it on the stark's fervor spot. Otherwise, dunno. Thinking about it, it could also replace the triforce actually, but I'd lose AS, sheen burst, phage, movement speed AP and HP (sort of mitigated by +armour), which is a lot of cool utility to have, and it's all compressed in a single item. Would hafta test that one day, I guess.

Also, what needs to be noted, is that people often make the mistake of building nothing but HP on Shen just to 'boost the passive' (like that derper theoddone), but that's really not optimal. The passive takes 8 seconds to recharge (unless you are getting hit constantly), so building mostly for that isn't really effective.

Can't help but think that when you are finished doing the maths on this, you'll find out that a more traditional solo top is flatly superior :M

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
No one is superior to Shen. NO ONE :M

Also, define 'traditional solo top'. And don't cite the metagolem.

Mystary!

Arcane
Still feel Aegis is a superior item, that should be rushed. Getting an early advantage often snowballs you. For the same price you would barely afford lets say a Phage and perhaps one other component for TriForce, a dagger or tome, so having an Aegis vs. someone having a partly build TriForce or whatever, means you would have almost the same damage, but more health and better defenses. Who's gonna win? And it benefits your team (and auras stack for people with duplicate items, if your support has it you get double effect). And from having played alot of support, between Philo Stone->Shurelias, Heart of gold, Kage's Lucky pick and tons and tons of wards, I can rarely afford an Aegis until very late, if at all.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Shen > many traditional solotops in that case :M

What's shen going to do vs Trynd, Riven, Irelia, Rumble, Kennen, Ryze, Vlad, Udyr, Gangplank, Nidalee, Cho'gath? How's shen going to prevent Nasus (or any of the earlier mentioned champs) from farming?

I'm genuinely curious.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
What's shen going to do vs Trynd, Riven, Irelia, Rumble, Kennen, Ryze, Vlad, Udyr, Gangplank, Nidalee, Cho'gath? How's shen going to prevent Nasus (or any of the earlier mentioned champs) from farming?

I'm genuinely curious.

People underestimate the dagger spam. While my experience against ranged dudes is rather limited, against those I usually don't fare well 'cause the Q still has rather short range, shorter than their auto-attack, in any case.

But Riven, Irelia, Nasus? Each time they go in for a last hit, punish the fuckers like a boss by throwing a Q at them. If they try to harass, shield with W. If your jungler comes, make his work easier with E. If enemy jungler comes, run the fuck away with E. I found Shen has some of the best sustained early-mid game harass. Stuff like Riven is getting mercilessly zoned when each time she goes in to last hit she takes 200 damage to the face, even rushing mres doesn't counter it that much because the torrent of vorpal blades simply doesn't stop. Even with Nasus's innate lifesteal he usually has a porblem to counter the early Q-spam harass unless he starts autoattacking, and I don't have to explain how that is bad for him.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Hmm, are you sure that Nasus/Irelia with HP5 quints (which I normally run on them), philo stone (which I normally buy on them) and merc treads (again, standard purchase) won't be able to just heal through the daggers?

I've seriously never faced shen top so I'm really curious, not even trying to be condescending or anything.

I see your point about Riven though, especially after the health regen nerf. Still, it seems he is really easily counter-able.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nasus will just ignore your daggers.
Frankly, a good Nasus will ignore anyone unless forced to and farm all day while you desperately try to hurt him.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Nasus will just ignore your daggers.
Frankly, a good Nasus will ignore anyone unless forced to and farm all day while you desperately try to hurt him.

I learned the hard way that the new Vlad cannot be ignored by Nasus, even if you rush MR.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They changed/improved Vlad?
I hate this game, I don't want to keep up with all this constantly.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Plane tickets! Or better yet, play a custom against each other top.

One of us would have to play under a fair amount of lag (and grind IP on a new account) due to him being a Euro and me being a member of the Kwan master race.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Hmm, are you sure that Nasus/Irelia with HP5 quints (which I normally run on them), philo stone (which I normally buy on them) and merc treads (again, standard purchase) won't be able to just heal through the daggers?

Well, basically, imagine Shen as a MANtheon who never runs out of mana. If you throw a dagger every 3 seconds (and you are very much able to do so), regular hp regen doesn't really cut it, unless they back off to regen or start autoattacking like mad, but then they lose farm. And another funny thing is that if they get merc treads or rush mres cloak, you'll still deal decent physical damage with sheen, since they are usually close to you, and you can safely autoattack them after most dagger throws (feint is a pathetic skill, but it actually does a good enough job of countering enemy harass).

As you can see... I have covered all alternatives. Battleshen is the most hybridy of all hybrids @_@

I've actually never lost a lane against Nasus as Shen, which surprised even me how effective it was, but then again, while I am not excluding the option that all the ones I faced were tards, at least one of them should have been competent, right?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
They changed Vlad again?

Yes, in the Sejewani patch.

• Transfusion cooldown reduced to 10/8.5/7/5.5/4 seconds from 12/10/8/6/4
  • Crimson Pact ability power to health conversion reduced to 1.4 from 1.8
  • Hemoplague no longer costs 15% of your current health and is now no cost to cast
  • Tides of blood health cost ramp up reduced to 25% from 50%

Hellraiser

Arcane
I learned the hard way that the new Vlad cannot be ignored by Nasus, even if you rush MR.

Neither can he ignore derpamere, irelia or udyr (lanedyr is even more bullshit than jungledyr) at least early game. Still once you build to counter them you have free farm (except maybe for udyr). But I really don't get how vlad could have been an issue once you grab a negatron+mercs. Unless you are not using scaling mres blues and tank masteries. He is annoying because of his infinite sustain but once he gets whacked once or twice with q (after a few minutes of farm and maybe a philo) he should start leaving you alone or feeding you free gold. Especially once he realizes that trollpool doesn't work so well after he gets withered.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, clearly you'd have to take a few factors into consideration, such as starting items, rune bui-- OH GOD IT'S YI!!!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Neither can he ignore derpamere, irelia or udyr (lanedyr is even more bullshit than jungledyr) at least early game. Still once you build to counter them you have free farm (except maybe for udyr). But I really don't get how vlad could have been an issue once you grab a negatron+mercs. Unless you are not using scaling mres blues and tank masteries. He is annoying because of his infinite sustain but once he gets whacked once or twice with q (after a few minutes of farm and maybe a philo) he should start leaving you alone or feeding you free gold. Especially once he realizes that trollpool doesn't work so well after he gets withered.

No. Really doesn't work that way, trust me.

All he has to do is constantly Q and E you (remember, Q cooldown decreased and E's HP cost decreased but the amount of damage it ramps up to remained the same, with a revolver he more or less infinitely use E as long as he hits a target).

Please, try playing Nasus vs a Vlad that has the intelligence to use those two spells on you, then come back to me.

(I'm speaking from personal experience. I was using Tank masteries, scaling MR blues and HP5 quints. I started MR+potions, I rushed a negatron, got mercs, and got a FoN. Doesn't work, trust me)

So from this free week I've decided that Mordekaiser on the blue team is too stronk for low elo play.

Like a boss I wander into all 5 of the opposing team after they'd routed the rest of my team - and my team continues legging it - get caught in the middle of a Veigar ring of death and... they all run away while I'm stuck. Was so sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom