Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Jaesun, what's a "classic RPG"? (poll)

What do you think of the new RPG forums?

• Total voters

Phelot

Arcane
Right now we essentially have a "Good RPG" forum and a "Bad RPG" forum. And then there is the jRPG forum :lol:

I don't personally see a problem defining "What is a classic cRPG" given this rough outline:

Games made before January 1, 2002 12:00PM

[...]

As for indies, yes I would consider the ones using "classic" cRPG designs/mechanics/looks would also be discussed in the RPG Classics forums. Stuff like Knights of the Chalice, Eschalon Series, Swords and Sorcery Underworld to name a few.

>creates a rule to avoid wankery

>bends said rule not even five lines later

:baby:

Sul

Savant
There's no need for a jRPG sub-forum. There's only like 2 or 3 threads every month. Also, everyone around here is a closet weebo.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Doesn't give all the people in the Codex Workshop much incentive to work hard on anything if it's already been written off.

spekkio

Arcane
I don't personally see a problem defining "What is a classic cRPG" given this rough outline:

Games made before January 1, 2002 12:00PM
But by this rule will we consider every shitty RPG made before 2002 a classic? That's just as stupid as saying that no modern RPGs can be considered a classic.
Welcome to Jaesun's logic. I don't get this "old game = good, new game = shit" fetish that some of you have, but whatever...
IMO as a 'RPG Fagdex' we need only 2 gaming forums: GRPG (old, new, real, pseudo, western, eastern, whatever) and GG (other games, CLEARLY not RPGS. Like Lemmings, Gran Turismo, Victoria or X-wing). Merging Adventure and Strategy with GG would actually incline the GG as well. And made reading the 'Dex easier more streamlined.

tl;dr

:5/5: but plz revert

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dumb change that clutters the forum further, sacrificing readability and tradition in favor of stroking someone's ego.

Revert, please. I don't like having to wade through a dozen sub-fora that wouldn't be there were it not for your wankery.

Edit:

Site's becoming a bloated fuckfest.

I always thought we hated bloat and superfluous garbage here, on the prestigious Twitter Facebook Brofist Codex.

What a shitty idea.
Beers repeating.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Actually you can just start your own forum if you're so inclined to make things work your way.

canakin

Cipher
Well no one complained about the way things woked for 10 years, why change it now?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well no one complained about the way things woked for 10 years, why change it now?
Complaining about JRPGs and RPGs with reflex-based combat in GRPG is something that happens quite a bit.

Renegen

Arcane
The forum splitting has to be future proof. Today BG is probably considered "classic", well just imagine the horror when the Codex will call DA:O a classic RPG and dump it there. It will happen, the codex will turn to shit one day, as hard as it is to believe.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It will happen, the codex will turn to shit one day, as hard as it is to believe.

Pretty sure that happened ~10 years ago ;)

Besides, I've enough faith in the administration to believe the forum-splitting is a temporary thing to see what works and what doesn't. It's already painfully obvious that opinions on what constitutes "classic" are split. The only thing people seem to agree on is that Jaesuns definition doesnt work, and that moving recently created threads back and forth makes everything a pain in the ass to follow.

But give it a week or so, and maybe the jrpg forum will see its own little niche like the gazebo seems to have. I don't really care for japcrap - an opinion me and others frequently voice in the japcrap threads that spring up in gg/grpg. But if people keep the japcrap in their own little board, it becomes a lot easier to just ignore it like, say, general discussion. Which in turn means the people who DO care about japcrap can DISCUSS! it without our mudslinging.

Still, the front page is getting rather bloated. Perhaps it'd be a good idea to make the gazebo/japcrap boards sub forums of general gaming. Even if that will temporarily confuse people as yet more thread juggling occurs

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Let's get the codex GOTY's in the classic RPG forum:troll:

It would be much more sensible to split the forums in old and new generation of RPGs, new generation being everything post 1997/1998.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh gee, I go away for a few weeks and this happens.

The worst choice you've made in the entire time I've been reading 'dex.

Who the fuck has the time to read 10 forums? Not to mention the fact that even browsing the forums list takes longer now. I just glance at the list now and most of the time decide that it isn't worth the effort to peruse their content.

gg

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I just browse Watched Threads and New Threads now, thank God.

This will only really effect me when I want to create a thread. Oh well, I can't be arsed to keep track of all these new arbitrary definitions, I'll just post it GRPG and if he wants his new forum so badly, he can move it.

MCA
If this shit sticks, I'm making duplicate threads in every subforum every time I'm making a new thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom