Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate So... Which Studio Should Replace Larian As The Developer of Baldur's Gate 4?

Who Should Hasbro Pick to Develop Baldur's Gate 4?

• Obsidian (Fallout New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity)

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Inxile (Wasteland 2 and 3)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Owlcat Games (Pathfinders Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader)

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • Bioware

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Others

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • KIngcomrade

Votes: 47 37.9%

• Total voters

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
SoD's writing was a mess but the gameplay was good
I think the big problem with this is that Baldur's Gate is considered a story heavy game. The dungeon design can be fantastic, but if the story is a mess, that's the game to most people. It also doesn't help that there's a huge banquet of social justice tripe in it, which turned off a lot of people. Considering this was Beamdog's shot at putting themselves on the map, to establish themselves as game developers other than commercial source porters, they kind of shot themselves in the foot. It was probably also a mistake to follow SoD up with a nostalgia bait game when the people who would be attracted to that nostalgia were probably also turned off by the "modern sensibility" bullshit in SoD.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The rest are too incompetent like Owlcat, etc.
So you agree that Larian is incompetent?
Read the thread title.

Also keep coping:

89983df62b3f37a39e6885181f565743353b768a245324efff79d3dfac7a3f9b_1.jpg

MerchantKing

Learned

scytheavatar

Scholar
Remaking IWD2 when the original was a flop would be the exact opposite of what Beamdog needs to do to avoid getting shut down soon.
I'd like to think that wouldn't be the case since we're talking about different levels of investment in a different state of the market, the BG series EEs were very successful and probably helped drag the other ones in their trail, but I'm probably biased, I really want an IWD2 EE.

IWD2 source code is lost, a full remake of IWD2 is necessary. This is the whole reason why IWD2 EE isn't coming out ever.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Remaking IWD2 when the original was a flop would be the exact opposite of what Beamdog needs to do to avoid getting shut down soon.
I'd like to think that wouldn't be the case since we're talking about different levels of investment in a different state of the market, the BG series EEs were very successful and probably helped drag the other ones in their trail, but I'm probably biased, I really want an IWD2 EE.
https://www.pcgamer.com/with-icewin...aul-the-game-with-their-own-enhanced-edition/

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I dont wanna a BG4. But if someone needs to do it, I hope for OwlCat. And honestly I hope that OwlCat will make a retroclone adaptation next.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I dont wanna a BG4. But if someone needs to do it, I hope for OwlCat. And honestly I hope that OwlCat will make a retroclone adaptation next.
When you mean retroclone, do you mean RTWP and beautiful 2D painted (or 2.5D overpainted) background art ?

mediocrepoet

Patron
When you mean retroclone, do you mean RTWP and beautiful 2D painted (or 2.5D overpainted) background art ?
Pretty sure he's talking about OD&D clones like Lamentations of the Flame Princess made into a computer game.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Delicieuxz

Cipher
I want the original "Baldur's Gate 3", The Black Hound, to be finished-up and released as it would've been if it hadn't been cancelled. It was allegedly 80% complete.

Star Fox 2 was released for the first time 20+ years after it was developed. Black Hound should do the same.

https://www.unseen64.net/2020/01/19/baldursgate3-black-hound-cancelled/
Isn't that basically Sawyer's project? So you're essentially asking for PoE except with D&D rules now?
I don't think it looks like PoE at all. It'd be closer to BG 1 and 2 than to PoE - which I'd like. Also, it was made in a different time, with different sensibilities, before the shift to console gaming and mainstream groupthink design happened and killed a lot of classic creative talent. After stuff started being made for PC again, like a decade+ later, the same magic wasn't really there anymore, even in the same devs who'd had it before gaming's lost decade due to the console shift. The devs of old lost the sense when they pandered to consoles and game dev became a lot more corporatized, and they haven't been able to work at that creative level since, IMO. Black Hound will still have it, though, because it was made / written back then.

I want to get another high-quality game from that era, and Black Hound is a time-capsule showing what things would've been like if Black Isle kept making games in that vein, at their legendary peak. It's a tragedy that Brian Fargo opted to can it in favour of making Dark Alliance.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I want the original "Baldur's Gate 3", The Black Hound, to be finished-up and released as it would've been if it hadn't been cancelled. It was allegedly 80% complete.

Star Fox 2 was released for the first time 20+ years after it was developed. Black Hound should do the same.

Isn't that basically Sawyer's project? So you're essentially asking for PoE except with D&D rules now?
I don't think it looks like PoE at all. It'd be closer to BG 1 and 2 than to PoE - which I'd like. Also, it was made in a different time, with different sensibilities, before the shift to console gaming and mainstream groupthink design happened and killed a lot of classic creative talent. After stuff started being made for PC again, like a decade+ later, the same magic wasn't really there anymore, even in the same devs who'd had it before gaming's lost decade due to the console shift. The devs of old lost the sense when they pandered to consoles and game dev became a lot more corporatized, and they haven't been able to work at that creative level since, IMO. Black Hound will still have it, though, because it was made / written back then.

I want to get another high-quality game from that era, and Black Hound is a time-capsule showing what things would've been like if Black Isle kept making games in that vein, at their legendary peak. It's a tragedy that Brian Fargo opted to can it in favour of making Dark Alliance.

Oh I see. I re-read your original post. I didn't get that you were wishing for a pipe dream as opposed to something that might actually be able to realistically be made somehow. Nevermind.

Anyway, yeah, there are a variety of stories like that regarding shelved projects due to people chasing the next money machine.

Delicieuxz

Cipher

Oh I see. I re-read your original post. I didn't get that you were wishing for a pipe dream as opposed to something that might actually be able to realistically be made somehow. Nevermind.

Anyway, yeah, there are a variety of stories like that regarding shelved projects due to people chasing the next money machine.
WotC probably wouldn't care to grant the license for it. But I wonder what Josh Sawyer would think of finishing it up if they actually allowed it. A project that would draw a lot of interest in an IP that's hyped-up right now, could be worth the 20% of remaining work to get it finished. Could be a Beamdog-style remaster of what it would've been.

scytheavatar

Scholar

WotC probably wouldn't care to grant the license for it. But I wonder what Josh Sawyer would think of finishing it up if they actually allowed it. A project that would draw a lot of interest in an IP that's hyped-up right now, could be worth the 20% of remaining work to get it finished. Could be a Beamdog-style remaster of what it would've been.

Sawyer made it clear he only cares to make an isometric game if it gets the same budget as BG3....... and WOTC will only care about a BG4 that at least has BG3's production values.

Some of you folks here need to have a reality check, the truth is that a simple Curse of Stradh adaptation from Tactical Adventures will outsell most of the BG4 ideas you all are suggesting. Like why the fuck would WOTC give a shit about what Black Isles could do at their peak when Planescape Torment was a financial flop?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Some of you folks here need to have a reality check, the truth is that a simple Curse of Stradh adaptation from Tactical Adventures will outsell most of the BG4 ideas you all are suggesting. Like why the fuck would WOTC give a shit about what Black Isles could do at their peak when Planescape Torment was a financial flop?

I think you need a reality check and to calm down. :lol: I don't think I've read any posts in here that seemed overly serious, so much as wishful thinking while BSing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom