Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Mortmal

Arcane
There's a survey for content in DLC/updates.
https://forms.gle/ey9gccR8HHXzyjWa9

There's the chance to let them know that they'd better add more classes and more meaningful content, not useless shit like the fucking dragonborns.
Frankly, I'd rather they didn't spend too much time adding more content to Solasta but instead initiate work on a sequel with fundamental changes to the game engine (e.g. larger party size) that won't occur in DLC/updates to the existing game. :M
Filled it, what i want is just buying another campaign in the same setting really, they dont have to add that many new things, bit more monsters to have different encounters. Larger party that's not recommended, its harder to balance and it will be more taxing on the hardware too.
I hope it wont take ages to get anything new.
Is there enough sales , was it a viable project at least ?

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished game.

Feels like having great potential, but unpolished. Several weird decisions and freedom is very limited. First fights are fun, than verticality becomes almost non-existant. And interactibles stop to matter.

LabRat

Learned
I heard some people said that 5E is not kind to monk. If I want to play unarmed fighting style. PF1E, PF2E and DND 4E are good choose?

Lhynn

Arcane
I heard some people said that 5E is not kind to monk. If I want to play unarmed fighting style. PF1E, PF2E and DND 4E are good choose?
Monks are alright in 5e. Its a good dip. They lag a bit behind in terms of damage as you level up, but have a lot of mobility inside of combat and a lot of flexibility outside, can be fairly tanky if your stats are high enough and have very strong control, can shut down casters with ease.
But solasta doesnt have them.

As for which systems its good on. In PF1E it not great, but its a good dip depending on the build. Best thing you can do about a monk in dnd 4e is just not play 4e, and in 3.5 they are pretty much the worst class in core and one of the worst overall, even npc classes are better.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Dips are generally bad in PF because classes have so many scaling abilities. You’d want to be a class that can’t wear armor, has an open hand, and uses CHR or WIS as a casting stat for it to make sense, as a dip. Even then you’re just getting some AC. Best defense is a good offense.

As a full class the Unchained version is great, as are several of the unique archetypes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You dip into Monk for Flurry of Blows too, not only AC. But yeah, just go unarmed barb with 1 level in Monk for FoB. This is actually a cool concept and I might squeeze out an interesting character out of that.

EDIT: Meh, forgot they have contradictory alignment requirements.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Completed it last week.

Fun turn-based combat. Biggest cons, aside from the weak story, come from the limitations of the 5E ruleset itself.

Hardcore fans for 3.5 or PF 1E will find the character customization in 5E too limiting.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game started on a good note but it becomes boring after a while.
Every fight is a routine that you can't speed up conveniently and despite I play it on the penultimate level of difficulty, there is no challenge.

The dialogue/story is passable. The graphics are nothing to brag about, the art direction is "safe"

The game it's just mediocre and I struggle to find the motivation to finish it.

Is this a preview of how BG3 will also be? :)

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
despite I play it on the penultimate level of difficulty, there is no challenge.
You can tune it up to maximum so there will be some challenge but the slog will become almost unbearable (you can speed up animations by holding spacebar at all times but that's annoying, obviously). Anyway, there's no good reason to finish the game, all the good stuff located in the beginning/Dark Castle.
Is this a preview of how BG3 will be also? :)
Nah, BG3 is a totally different beast despite the same ruleset.

Mortmal

Arcane
Completed it last week.

Fun turn-based combat. Biggest cons, aside from the weak story, come from the limitations of the 5E ruleset itself.

Hardcore fans for 3.5 or PF 1E will find the character customization in 5E too limiting.
Hardocre pf fan on the codex wont, they are strongly against multiclassing dont even suggest dipping one level of monk or vivisectionist, completely haram.

Desiderius

Patron
It’s not about what “I find limiting” you relativist cunt, it’s about what works and how the system is designed.

Mortmal

Arcane
It’s not about what “I find limiting” you relativist cunt, it’s about what works and how the system is designed.
Everything works in pathfinder, everything works in 5E too, luckily for you some stuff is just more efficient and will allow to finish faster . But its too complicated , its ok you had many hardships , no education ,dont burden yourself with all that complicated rpg stuff. Of course you dont have to multiclass, and you dont have to put much thought into builds either just pick a wizard with conjuration spells, control spells will cut the encounters in small pieces , its as old as D&D.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Multiclass should have a story reason behind it and a character ark. Your lawful good paladin should't be able to make a pact to learn magic from a chaotic evil demon with no consequences only because RAW.

Same with 3E prestige classes. Getting a level as a Red Wizard of Thay should involve attending the minimum requisites of the Red wizards academy IE - be at least able to cast 3rd tier magic and have a decent spellcraft skill(8), doing the entrance exam, and getting lessons from the red wizards. It should't be something like "hey, I wanna Enhanced specialization, Tatoo powers and other cool stuff, will pick red wizard class for it and my mage living in the waterdeep who never steeped a foot in Thay is now a red wizard". That is very nonsensical.

Mortmal

Arcane
Multiclass should have a story reason behind it and a character ark. Your lawful good paladin should't be able to make a pact to learn magic from a chaotic evil demon with no consequences only because RAW.

Same with 3E prestige classes. Getting a level as a Red Wizard of Thay should involve attending the minimum requisites of the Red wizards academy IE - be at least able to cast 3rd tier magic and have a decent spellcraft skill(8), doing the entrance exam, and getting lessons from the red wizards. It should't be something like "hey, I wanna Enhanced specialization, Tatoo powers and other cool stuff, will pick red wizard class for it and my mage living in the waterdeep who never steeped a foot in Thay is now a red wizard". That is very nonsensical.
Its not making a coherent world for sure , but it was part of the 3.5 fun mixing all that kind of stuff, there was some sessions with making the most OP characters you can theme too. Then again many skills dont either, you wont just pick a toolkit and a few skills be a smith and repair your armor in the field either.

Desiderius

Patron
Everything works in pathfinder, everything works in 5E too, luckily for you some stuff is just more efficient and will allow to finish faster . But its too complicated , its ok you had many hardships , no education ,dont burden yourself with all that complicated rpg stuff. Of course you dont have to multiclass, and you dont have to put much thought into builds either just pick a wizard with conjuration spells, control spells will cut the encounters in small pieces , its as old as D&D.

One of us did the testing and posted the results, the other parrots release day memes. Everyone else knows who is who. Stop beclowning yourself and polluting this thread.

You're stuck in 3.5. PF was deliberately designed to be different.

Mortmal

Arcane

One of us did the testing and posted the results, the other parrots release day memes. Everyone else knows who is who. Stop beclowning yourself and polluting this thread.

You're stuck in 3.5. PF was deliberately designed to be different.
I am not living in your suburban kid world, and no idea of your release meme . You are an arrogant cunt , never bringing any info on anything, never backing up anything with facts, no counterargument nor builds.

Desiderius

Patron
I'm a fifty year old man with my own kids. Your views echo what people (including me) thought at release because the bulk of our experience was with 3.5, you phrase them in the way the biggest wankers did which intimidated a lot of people into assuming they were true and never getting to play the game as designed. Once I learned more about the PF ruleset and got some experience with 3.5 style builds under my belt (I joined the Kotex to flack one to the general derision of the P:K forum at that time!) I decided to test more single-classed approaches and found them superior. The P:K thread is full of my facts, builds, arguments, and screenshots to the extent I've gotten complaints about spamming it.

I don't understand what exactly you hope to accomplish by spamming this forum with information that is obviously counterfactual to everyone but you and readily demonstrated to be so.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm a fifty year old man with my own kids. Your views echo what people (including me) thought at release because the bulk of our experience was with 3.5, you phrase them in the way the biggest wankers did which intimidated a lot of people into assuming they were true and never getting to play the game as designed. Once I learned more about the PF ruleset and got some experience with 3.5 style builds under my belt (I joined the Kotex to flack one to the general derision of the P:K forum at that time!) I decided to test more single-classed approaches and found them superior. The P:K thread is full of my facts, builds, arguments, and screenshots to the extent I've gotten complaints about spamming it.

I don't understand what exactly you hope to accomplish by spamming this forum with information that is obviously counterfactual to everyone but you and readily demonstrated to be so.

I am not bothering with reading that old thread, but what i know for sure is the last time i asked for advise for builds i got none, i mean i wasnt trying to enforce my view or pretending i was sure it was great . The only good info was not coming from you, everything you added was completely useless, you were not able to answer me without insulting . I understand you get agressive as pathfinder is the only domain in life you think to master but sorry you dont know shit , even on that you fail . I have yet to understand why suddenly you think a conjuration wizard is bad idea . The only thing you did is push the button "someone has issues". Have to tell me why a wizard casting grease , clouds and pits doesnt trivialize encounters. But no i forgot , you dont know anything , keep larping.

Desiderius

Patron
I understand you get agressive as pathfinder is the only domain in life you think to master but sorry you dont know shit , even on that you fail . I have yet to understand why suddenly you think a conjuration wizard is bad idea . The only thing you did is push the button "someone has issues". Have to tell me why a wizard casting grease , clouds and pits doesnt trivialize encounters. But no i forgot , you dont know anything , keep larping.

There is no domain in life I think to master. Conjuration Wizard is a great idea. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm the one who recommends going Conjuration for Glitterdust (no SR!), Cave Fangs and the like plus to unlock Summoning Feats. Pits are great since it lets you attack Reflex saves without having to rely on low level spells the whole game. I've discovered that it's often easier to just use damage spells but Pits are great failsafes too.

Linzi Dispel.jpg

Acid Pit just the thing to remove Acid Regen

Farrinas Banshee.jpg

Farrinas eventually fell into this Hungry Pit only to emerge later to (barely) finish off Amiri for the full wipe.
Again everything you say is completely detached from reality. Pls split thread Infinitron since this adds nothing to Solasta.

Lhynn

Arcane
The implementation of the system is very incomplete. So its kind of a retarded point to make.

Parabalus

Arcane
I understand you get agressive as pathfinder is the only domain in life you think to master but sorry you dont know shit , even on that you fail . I have yet to understand why suddenly you think a conjuration wizard is bad idea . The only thing you did is push the button "someone has issues". Have to tell me why a wizard casting grease , clouds and pits doesnt trivialize encounters. But no i forgot , you dont know anything , keep larping.

There is no domain in life I think to master. Conjuration Wizard is a great idea. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm the one who recommends going Conjuration for Glitterdust (no SR!), Cave Fangs and the like plus to unlock Summoning Feats. Pits are great since it lets you attack Reflex saves without having to rely on low level spells the whole game. I've discovered that it's often easier to just use damage spells but Pits are great failsafes too.

View attachment 19722

Acid Pit just the thing to remove Acid Regen

View attachment 19723
Farrinas eventually fell into this Hungry Pit only to emerge later to (barely) finish off Amiri for the full wipe.
Again everything you say is completely detached from reality. Pls split thread Infinitron since this adds nothing to Solasta.

Mortmal does have a very good point though.

When you look up KM (and already WotR!) stuff InEffect is the most visible and complete resource. There is a huge need for voices from the opposing school of thought.

Have you thought about starting a blog?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom