Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Dev Diary - Dungeon Maker Showcase

Dr Schultz

Augur
I'm with Tuco here.
I'm well capable of enjoying ugly games such Geneforge, Knights of the Chalice or Telepath Tactics, but Solasta's developers made the debatable choice of designing a game full of animated cutscenes, which is both a costly endeavor AND a pain to watch with these character models.
A more cost-effective solution would have been static dialogues with character portraits. Now that they are stuck with these animated cutscenes, they should at least aim for something less "ugly".
Man, those games are masterpieces of art compared to the line vector, ascii, and text adventures I still play.

I still (re)play text adventures too, and MUD sometimes. But limited graphic capabilities don't necessary mean ugly graphics.

Newspost is about a a dungeon maker tool , thread discussion is about the character model look. Somehow i dont think we are getting many fan made modules no matter how good it is. I dont think we will see something the like of neverwinter vault again .
I don't know, if they add the questing tool, and store function and ability to link dungeons etc... like they have said they will I think creative people will be able to make good content eventually.

ADL

Prophet
While Solasta will eventually be on Steam Workshop later
decline.png

The game is sold on GOG. Any game that is sold on other services should never use the Steam Workshop. Especially when http://mod.io exists.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
While Solasta will eventually be on Steam Workshop later
decline.png

The game is sold on GOG. Any game that is sold on other services should never use the Steam Workshop. Especially when http://mod.io exists.
I agree, but if the levels are as easy to share and use as they say then I don't think it will really matter. Every competent level in the workshop that had any amount of effort put into it will be available normally.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I click on the video again and I get this ad.
Dungeon Alchemist
It looks fantastic to print out quick battlemaps and the like but I believe CC3 can do that as well (just maybe not the random room algorithms. Low tier is about 36$.

STEAM ONLY ... meh!

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
STEAM ONLY ... meh!
It's not steam only. They're just adding functionality to steam that gog doesn't have because gog doesn't have the tools for it. If they didn't bother with workshop, nothing about how they're delivering this on gog would change.

Enkidu

Novice
Newspost is about a a dungeon maker tool , thread discussion is about the character model look. Somehow i dont think we are getting many fan made modules no matter how good it is. I dont think we will see something the like of neverwinter vault again .
Yeah... this won't be a Neverwinter... Because the characters look retarded. thats the point.
In Solasta defense tough, the characters really are retarded. why would you put a cursed crown on your head instead of just identifying it?

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah... this won't be a Neverwinter... Because the characters look retarded. thats the point.
In Solasta defense tough, the characters really are retarded. why would you put a cursed crown on your head instead of just identifying it?

Because the crown an artefact of great power is cursed and commanded him to do so, as soon you touch it you are done . Also neverwinter models arent so great looking even at release everything look dated and low poly.

Mortmal

Arcane
The model is quite faithfull to halflings more specifically kenders, its just that species is looking weird:
Kender.jpg

Tasslehoff-Burrfoot.png

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The powerful artifact that can influence characters' actions is a staple of the genre. Would you say that everyone in the Lord of the Rings is retarded because they can't resist the One Ring?

On the other hand, the fact that, after killing dozens of lizard-like creatures whose existence is commonly believed to be a myth, nobody thinks of taking a proof of their existence is beyond retarded.

Mortmal

Arcane
The powerful artifact that can influence characters' actions is a staple of the genre. Would you say that everyone in the Lord of the Rings is retarded because they can't resist the One Ring?

On the other hand, the fact that, after killing dozens of lizard-like creatures whose existence is commonly believed to be a myth, nobody thinks of taking a proof of their existence is beyond retarded.

They are naive and candid adventurers starting on their journey, not souless paranoid codexers ubermensch with every meta knowledge about fantasy and rpg possible. Give them some slack.

ozymandiusz

Novice
Do people really give a shit about something like that? I simply want good campaign and that's it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have nothing against good-looking games. But implying that they should spend resources on character FACES when, in a system with exactly zero character customization after level 3, they implemented SIX classes is where I draw the line.

This mean they should do no portraits at all. Just placeholders like in social net instead of portrait - no portraits, no faces, nothing.

Mortmal

Arcane
Do people really give a shit about something like that? I simply want good campaign and that's it.
Not really no, but solasta is a game that is exceeding my expectations you are going to get the good campaign . The fact they are adding a dungeon editor is a nice bonus. Compare to realms beyond kickstarter where nothing was delivered at all, and still in hiatus with the guy owning 50% of the company still awol....
So its rather a good thing to see an enthusiastic team improving, and adding extra features to their product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom