Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Keyboard full of cat hair. I like that in a developer. :D

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We're hoping that the full game would take somewhere around 35-40h with sidequests and all

No more subclasses for launch!

When we get sorceror dlc?
I was under the impression the Sorcerer class would become available on the game's launch. Did I miss something?

Look to their site. "3 additional Classes : 2 at launch (Paladin & Ranger), and another one as free DLC post-launch (Sorcerer)"

https://www.solasta-game.com/kickstarter

kickstarter-achieved-goal.jpg

Or KS > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister

They din't reached sorcerer goal but almost reached, so AFTER the game is launched, they will gonna make it as a free DLC.

I also expect new classes via DLC.

Solasta could include psionics.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Huh, that's unfortunate. I was looking forward to playing sorc.
Wasn't Paladin already in the game though? I'm 99% sure I played a paladin in my one playthrough at the start of the early access period.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Huh, that's unfortunate. I was looking forward to playing sorc.

Play as a Wizard. Sorc is worthless in 5E compared to a Wiz. Is just a capped down version of Wiz. And you have the Shock Arcanist subclass for wizard. A class all about evocation spells. If you wanna make a blaster, pick shock arcanist. Sadly
Arcane Shock is not in the game which seems to be the coolest aspect of the subclass.

Paladins exists on the game EA. The sublcasses are Oath of DevotionOath of the MotherlandOath of Tirmar https://solastacrownofthemagister.wiki.fextralife.com/Classes

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sorcerer is indeed superfluous in 5E, it should've been a subclass of Wizard. They are going to give us the Sorcerer because it would be the easiest to implement since it's almost virtually the same as the Wizard. It might get cooler subclasses, though, the Wizard subclasses are pretty eh with the exception of Greenmage. They should've used the subclasses to simulate the missing classes or multiclasses. The Greenmage is actually a good idea, it's like a Wizard/Ranger multi.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sorcerer is indeed superfluous in 5E, it should've been a subclass of Wizard. They are going to give us the Sorcerer because it would be the easiest to implement since it's almost virtually the same as the Wizard. It might get cooler subclasses, though, the Wizard subclasses are pretty eh with the exception of Greenmage. They should've used the subclasses to simulate the missing classes or multiclasses. The Greenmage is actually a good idea, it's like a Wizard/Ranger multi.

Yeah the Greenmage has a lot of flavour, but it's like, "I don't often Greenmage, but when I do ..."

It's a nice class but it feels too kinda niche to be a subclass of Wizard - should be more like a Druid or Ranger sub-class, or even a class of its own.

There are a few sub-classes where they're stretching the class concepts a bit thin with the sub-classes, presumably because of the limitations they're working under, and the constraint that they've got to cram in as much variety as possible within those limitations.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Can't believe I'm agreeing with fandomat, but 5e IS dumbed down shit. I'll take some 3.5 ogl over retarded 'proficiency bonuses' and 'advantages' any time.

Mortmal

Arcane

Yeah the Greenmage has a lot of flavour, but it's like, "I don't often Greenmage, but when I do ..."

It's a nice class but it feels too kinda niche to be a subclass of Wizard - should be more like a Druid or Ranger sub-class, or even a class of its own.

There are a few sub-classes where they're stretching the class concepts a bit thin with the sub-classes, presumably because of the limitations they're working under, and the constraint that they've got to cram in as much variety as possible within those limitations.
Just tried another paythrough ,hopefully the save are still usable the 27 may....
The homebrew subclasses they included are good, for exemple ranger hunter or shadowtamer are very good, more alike the unearthed arcana ranger version. Hunter can get you a very powerful ranged build, if the options are very railroaded and some obvious to pick , collosus strike, and multti attack defense . Or shadow tamer, allowing to use the light system at your advantage giving you proficiency attack bonus on creature with sensistivity or hypersensitivity to light, couple it with favored foe : undead . Those are impressive and well worth to be included in an official rulesets.
Paladin? very good too, their aura of protection fighting style , allows a reaction to protect one of your teamates, thats allow very good synergies ,placing squishies next to him . An oath of timar vow pretty much work like a oath of vengeance paladin using spells slots most often for smiting , with a bit more of flavor, with abilities like channel divinity : scourge of the hidden. Once again using the light and dark system to its finest.
Everything is well thought and balanced , kudos to the team again.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
advantages

Advantage is the single best change to come to modern DnD in years. Such a simple and elegant solution, roll twice and take the better one. Mathematically it is only about +3,5 to your skill, but having advantage massively increases the likelyhood of critical success and lowers the likelyhood of fumbles. Disadvantage does the inverse. Very often when DMing other systems I find myself implementing advantage into them. Also super satisfying to just let two dice roll and take the better one.

There is some other stuff however that is questionable, cantrips for at will spells are cool for noncombat and utility spells, combat cantrips take a lot of early game weakness away from mages. Why should every wizard have an infinite use crossbow scaling on intelligence available in Fire Bolt?
Why scrap the henchman and monster mechanic from 4e, when that was the best thing the system did, and only have the completely mathematically retarded Challenge Rating for encounter building?
Why not only streamline AC and To Hit, but also skill modifiers? Streamlining AC and keeping everyone's accuracy from about 40-80% hit chance is fine. Attacks where you have 15% hitchance are not exactly satisfying. Making everyone's success chance on noncombat rolls, regardless of class and abilities a streamlined 40-80% is retarded.

Overall 5e isn't perfect, and it's biggest advantages are that it is very beginner friendly, that there are millions of free online ressources for it, and that every rule question has already been asked and answered a thousand times. It isn't atrocious either. A good babbies first Pen&Paper, and with clever encounter design it can have some real depth.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Will be painful to not be able to play this on release day on my antique pc, which makes me realise that although' I play tons of recent games it's very rare that a game looks worth enduring loading times and "slow interface" for boring generic 3D and gameplay at best as good to my taste as the last 2D low resolution blobber or tile-based thingie, this game is actually a rare case where I'd really want to play the game and the only reason I will not immediately do is the pc.

Mortmal

Arcane
Favored foe undead is a no brainer as ranger, but what would you pick as second choice ? From what i unlocked on the bestiary there's many beasts, but those dont pose any challenge. 3/4 of the offered choices might not even be in the game...

Elex

Arbiter
Favored foe undead is a no brainer as ranger, but what would you pick as second choice ? From what i unlocked on the bestiary there's many beasts, but those dont pose any challenge. 3/4 of the offered choices might not even be in the game...
Well this is always the problem of ranger: forced choise, or the DM is forced to put the favoured enemy/terrain or the player is forced to select the most useful enemy for the campaign.

Mortmal

Arcane
Well this is always the problem of ranger: forced choise, or the DM is forced to put the favoured enemy/terrain or the player is forced to select the most useful enemy for the campaign.
yes but in this case, i dont even know whats awaiting us next. Can end up with a completely uselss pick.

Radech

Augur
Can't believe I'm agreeing with fandomat, but 5e IS dumbed down shit. I'll take some 3.5 ogl over retarded 'proficiency bonuses' and 'advantages' any time.
Yeah 5e is really dumbed down for the mediocre masses. I am playing with me mates on 5e now and am baffled how meh it is.

I'm slowly warming to some aspects, but yeah I might just backport advantage/disadvantage into 3.x with some better rules - It's like the 'lucky' mechanic from Path of Exile and it shakes the crit meta up a bit - also if you're a newb GM don't give them keen weapons, keen + advantage is just broken. But would to do a lot of playtesting to figure out some fun gates, e.g. 3+ flanking, attacks vs. grappled, attacks vs. flatfooted as a trade in for ac malus etc.

I do like the return to kits from 2e though, but for my next game I think I'll bring back 2e racial stats and multiclass restrictions as well.

Edit: nah fuck it, I'll let them trade in inspiration for advantage, maybe even let them be hoardable like Arcanum fate points.

Disadvantage could become a factor of mirror image and the like.

Mortmal

Arcane
Hey Myzzrym , since we there's no recommended options as ranger favored enemy , which ones would you advise to pick for the next part of solasta coming 27 may ? Most of them probably will never be included in the bestiary. it's an oversight and would be nice to have a few (recommended) next to them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
5E is worse than 2E and 3E? Yes. 5E is that awful? No.

Some people here has ridiculous high standards. Everything that is not a masterpiece must sucks... The unique really awful TT game is 4E.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom